46" Mario Statue (ebay item)

[quote name='JonnyHeartthrob']If only you guys accepted Paypal! I am sure you'd get many more bids if you did.[/quote]

You're probably right. I revised the listing to allow it. I've just heard too many horror stories about sellers getting crapped on.

you paid $20 and now you want us to pay a minimum of $550? no thanks, but im pretty sure theres a ton of ebayers that would get suckered into this deal easy, so you make a killing at least

also quick question, why did you even list that the insurance is included with the $50 shipping for up to $100 when the lot itself starts out at $500? Doesn't seem like something you should be listing since it doesnt really apply to this lot

[quote name='Squarehard']you paid $20 and now you want us to pay a minimum of $550? no thanks, but im pretty sure theres a ton of ebayers that would get suckered into this deal easy, so you make a killing at least

also quick question, why did you even list that the insurance is included with the $50 shipping for up to $100 when the lot itself starts out at $500? Doesn't seem like something you should be listing since it doesnt really apply to this lot[/quote]

It may not be worth the listing price to you, but it may be worth it to another. And if absolutely nobody bites at the initial starting bid, well, then the asking price gets lowered and we try again. Also, the $100 insurance is apparently standard for UPS Ground. I didn't specify that.

[quote name='red flare graf']That is a bit much. I don't see it selling, but stranger things have happened.[/quote]

it is ebay after all, im pretty sure some idiot will bite on it

No one will buy that.
50 bucks for shipping. I bought 60 pounds worth of car speakers and a stereo for $10 shipping.

The worst kind of scum; the oblivious guy that overcharges for everything, assuming no one will question the logic behind it.

I don't think he's tryna get us to pay after announcing how much he paid. Pretty sure he just wants the word out. Props to ya for bringing in some money.

[quote name='McNutsack']The worst kind of scum; the oblivious guy that overcharges for everything, assuming no one will question the logic behind it.[/quote]

In my opinion, the worst kind of scum is someone who rapes and kills children- not someone who overcharges on a statue of a video game mascot. :roll:

LOL, Buy It Now for $5,000. On something you paid $20 for.

I have no interest in Nintendo garbage, so I'm not the target audience. But that seems a little excessive. Should I go to college for a year or buy a plastic figure? Decisions, decisions.

Heres a few tips of advice...

1) Never mention where you got it from, especially if its liquidation.
2) Start auctions LOW. If you want them to go high, just set a reserve price for the item, it will still get bids.
3) Be more details and have a template if you plan to sell high. Also, be more descriptive and what not, make it look like its worth $500.

[quote name='FeNoM91']Heres a few tips of advice...

1) Never mention where you got it from, especially if its liquidation.
2) Start auctions LOW. If you want them to go high, just set a reserve price for the item, it will still get bids.
3) Be more details and have a template if you plan to sell high. Also, be more descriptive and what not, make it look like its worth $500.[/quote]

This.

[quote name='Unickuta']In my opinion, the worst kind of scum is someone who rapes and kills children- not someone who overcharges on a statue of a video game mascot. :roll:[/quote]

Worst kind of ebay scum*
lol

[quote name='Crony']http://cgi.ebay.com/46-Plastic-Nint...203510142QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280203510142

Hey folks,

My dad and I are auctioning off a Mario statue he picked up from a CompUSA liquidation sale. See this posting for more details.

Crony[/quote]

Should I laugh NOW or after your auction doesn't sell with a high starting bid of $500? You paid $20 for it, I'd consider it worth it if it sold for $40 plus the $50 shipping cost. You at least double your money that way, but this......this is just profiteering of the Slick Deals/Fat Wallet variety. I'd ask if you're insane, but by that auction listing, I already have my answer.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Should I laugh NOW or after your auction doesn't sell with a high starting bid of $500? You paid $20 for it, I'd consider it worth it if it sold for $40 plus the $50 shipping cost. You at least double your money that way, but this......this is just profiteering of the Slick Deals/Fat Wallet variety. I'd ask if you're insane, but by that auction listing, I already have my answer.[/quote]

Meh, if he started it low, he'd probably get hundreds for it anyways.

But I know the way I am, if I see an auction with a HIGH starting bid, I'm less likely to actually bid on it, since I figure that the person selling it is greedy and wanting to start off near the amount they want to try and get for it.

Plus, I know what the OP paid for the item and I already think that they're greedy or on crack or something for putting such a high starting bid. I'm sure because some shlep will see the word 'rare' in the listing, some moron will bid on it and the OP will sell it for hundreds of times what they paid. Poor saps, if only Ebay gave an IQ test to people wanting to be buyers on there, some seriously need it.

Since you bought it so cheap, you should have started it at 99 cents. At that price, it WILL be bid up to probably hundreds anyways and you take such little chance of not making a profit since you bought it so cheap. Plus you save some listing fee, and get the fun of watching it get bid up to some rediculous amount as the auction goes on. Thats why I love to get stuff so cheap to sell on ebay.

Yeah, I'm an idiot and was really reaching for the stars. I've changed the starting bid to $1. It'll sell for what people think it's worth in the end. Shipping charges will actually be much more than $50. It's not just the weight, 20 pounds btw, but also the size that matters. Above a certain cubic dimension, UPS charges based upon what they call, dimensional weight. It's unfortunate, because I'm not trying to gouge anyone. $50 was an initial estimate. Use the shipping calculator on UPS.com and enter 46" x "32" x "20" to determine an estimated cost. Ouch.... I realize I was a bit hasty in posting this without doing more research. Lesson learned.

I would def take out that you got it at a liquidation sale, just claim you shook Shiggy's hand and bam he whiped out his Mario Statue, now that will get bids

this listing seems extremely sketchy.

- paypal isnt included in the accepted payment section, even though it is mentioned in your description
- the shipping charges are ambiguous
- take out the liquidation part, dont mention where you got it from
- the item description is unattractive, and doesnt make me (personally) want to shell out hundreds for this thing
- it says on the side that the buyer isnt eligible for protection (prob bc u arnt accepting paypal in ebays system)
- the buy it now price should be removed, you are unnecessarily wasting money having it + its a turnoff to a lot of people because they will think that the listing is a joke

This statue is worth loads of $$$$, because it's from the 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for about $1000.

Stop threadcrapping, guys. (but that was really stupid to mention that he got it at a liquidation sale)

[quote name='Crony']Yeah, I'm an idiot and was really reaching for the stars. I've changed the starting bid to $1. It'll sell for what people think it's worth in the end. Shipping charges will actually be much more than $50. It's not just the weight, 20 pounds btw, but also the size that matters. Above a certain cubic dimension, UPS charges based upon what they call, dimensional weight. It's unfortunate, because I'm not trying to gouge anyone. $50 was an initial estimate. Use the shipping calculator on UPS.com and enter 46" x "32" x "20" to determine an estimated cost. Ouch.... I realize I was a bit hasty in posting this without doing more research. Lesson learned.[/quote]

well im glad that you decided to lower the cost of the thing now and being more reasonable with the shipping cost, but i think youre making it TOO low now and the description looks like youre just trying to get rid of it because you bought it at a liquidation sale. Should research the product more, that way you can tell the bidders that it is a rare statue instead of saying, well, it probably is rare. But theres already a bid, so too late now, good luck on your auction.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']this listing seems extremely sketchy.

- paypal isnt included in the accepted payment section, even though it is mentioned in your description
- the shipping charges are ambiguous
- take out the liquidation part, dont mention where you got it from
- the item description is unattractive, and doesnt make me (personally) want to shell out hundreds for this thing
- it says on the side that the buyer isnt eligible for protection (prob bc u arnt accepting paypal in ebays system)
- the buy it now price should be removed, you are unnecessarily wasting money having it + its a turnoff to a lot of people because they will think that the listing is a joke[/quote]

- Updated the listing with paypal specifically
- Shipping calculator on ebay doesn't like the fact it's an oversize item, which is why I gave the coast to coast estimate.
- Good point about the liquidation mention. Unfortunately, I can't change that now :(

Yes, it is worth money but not $1000 and probably not $500 either.

I think the threadcrapping is mainly due to the fact that he admits that his father paid $20 for it and now he wants between $500 and $5000 for it (based on the initial listing).

Neat item, though. Good luck with the auction. Any bonus or discount for CAG's?

Looks like someone bid on this already. I bet 10 dollars the bidder never read about the INSANE shipping amount this person is gonna charge :-({|=

yea the threadcrapping is due to the post saying he got it for $20. OP might want to consider closing the listing and relist it. for example putting compusa on the title is really pointless. a better title 46" Plastic Nintendo Mario Statue from 80's. The OP could also put some effort in the description to make it sound rare and hard to find. I mean right now you got 1 sentence description the item, and you want the buyer spend hundreds of dollar? Try looking at other rare items for help.

[quote name='Duncann']Looks like someone bid on this already. I bet 10 dollars the bidder never read about the INSANE shipping amount this person is gonna charge :-({|=[/quote]

It's not me that's charging an INSANE amount, it's UPS. I'm open to suggestions if someone knows of a cheaper and decent method of shipment. I'm really not out to scam anyone out of needless shipping and handling. I encourage anyone that believes I am to utilize the shipping calculator at fedex.com or ups.com.

[quote name='62t']yea the threadcrapping is due to the post saying he got it for $20. OP might want to consider closing the listing and relist it. for example putting compusa on the title is really pointless. a better title 46" Plastic Nintendo Mario Statue from 80's. The OP could also put some effort in the description to make it sound rare and hard to find. I mean right now you got 1 sentence description the item, and you want the buyer spend hundreds of dollar? Try looking at other rare items for help.[/quote]

Yeah lesson learned... It's all about psychology. I feel pretty sheepish about it now, but there's no going back :(

Well technically it isn't too late. You could cancel the bid, end the auction and relist after you do a bit more research.

My 6 year old son would go totally INSANE for this item. Too bad shipping to the Twin Cities area runs about $150.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']My 6 year old son would go totally INSANE for this item. Too bad shipping to the Twin Cities area runs about $150.[/quote]

I just want to add that I'll ship it via any other method that's feasible. I'll ship it by burro if you can arrange it.

You're really in a tough spot, I would have also listed that in the video games wii category as well because where it is just isn't looked at as much. But too late now, at any rate you might want to upload a few more shots of the statue close up so people can see the condition, upload them to photobucket or something so it doesn't add to your listing fees. Also about shipping have you looked into what Fed Ex charges?

I'm sure the OP appreciates any advice that would improve the quality of the auction and help the chances of moving the statue for big money, but there is zero need for thread crapping. I'm sure none of you would appreciate it if we felt the same way about an auction of yours.

OP, you have learned a hard lesson about properly listing an item. Too bad it's on this really cool item. I hope you get a good amount for it in any case.

Um, this is incredibly rare. He's not really ripping of anyone if a collector gets this.

Also, if I were you, I'd stick a Buy-It-Now on there and buy it for yourself, then relist the auction. It has WAY too many problems. If people think they can go to their local CompUSA and save $100s on shipping, they will not buy it from you. Really upsell the product and let them know how incredibly rare it is, and your 98% feedback is going to KILL you. I would never pay that much money to someone with that low of feedback.

I think you should cancel this listing. There's a section in there for "error in the item description". That would work fine.

Then I think you need to adjust your description, paypal terms, and give a shipping price. If you dont know how much it would cost then find out. Your going to have to figure it out at some point anyway.

I would bid on this item, but I would never bid on an item that has open ended shipping costs. 20lbs isn't a lot. Heck it's pretty easy to ship anything that's under 50lbs.

If you really want top dollar, spend the time and make this listing right.

[quote name='daminion']I think you should cancel this listing. There's a section in there for "error in the item description". That would work fine.

Then I think you need to adjust your description, paypal terms, and give a shipping price. If you dont know how much it would cost then find out. Your going to have to figure it out at some point anyway.

I would bid on this item, but I would never bid on an item that has open ended shipping costs. 20lbs isn't a lot. Heck it's pretty easy to ship anything that's under 50lbs.

If you really want top dollar, spend the time and make this listing right.[/quote]

QFT

[quote name='daminion']I think you should cancel this listing. There's a section in there for "error in the item description". That would work fine.

If you really want top dollar, spend the time and make this listing right.[/QUOTE]

Run that package through the freight estimator on UPS, USPS, DHL, and FedEx including the weight AND dimensions and you will see that this is not your typical 20 lb shipment. I would really like to get this for my son but shipment is not as easy as you may think.

If you do end up shipping it. Goto one of those mail stores and have them pack it for you. I had to ship a 75lbs heat-press machine. They broke it, and said it was due to "insufficient packaging" but the store did it themselves. FedEx/UPS (Forgot which) ended up paying for a new one, but it took about a year to actually get the money.

I think the bigger issue the previous poster had is the open-ended shipping. The seller should research the shipping costs first and then make sure to clearly list his S&H price. I will agree that the dimensions could cause issues.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Run that package through the freight estimator on UPS, USPS, DHL, and FedEx including the weight AND dimensions and you will see that this is not your typical 20 lb shipment. I would really like to get this for my son but shipment is not as easy as you may think.[/quote]

It's certainly a pain, that's for sure.

bread's done
Back