4K Blu-ray deals & discussion thread

anderson4145

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A few people have mentioned that we should start a 4k thread. Hopefully if this is popular enough that a mod will make it permanent. To start off so far I've wathced Pineapple Express, Chappie, and Enders Game in 4k. I thought Pineapple and chapple looked great, they were crisp and the colors were fantastic. Enders looked better than the 1080p blu but wasn't as impressive. 

I know best buy is going to have $17.99 4k movies on black friday, I'm hoping for some $15 one though.

4k price tracker

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?retailerid=1&sortby=price&category=4kbluray

Last edited by a moderator:
Vudu and Fandango have bundles of all 3 Avengers films in 4k($50), but for that much money I better have a disc. I can't find any physical bundle available, has anyone seen one?

Vudu and Fandango have bundles of all 3 Avengers films in 4k($50), but for that much money I better have a disc. I can't find any physical bundle available, has anyone seen one?
Disney Movie Club offered a deal bundling the two lastest (Infinity War and Ultron) for the mid-$40 range as their Featured title. Not as good as all 3 for $50, and only open to members. If it was any other studio, I'd say you have a good chance of finding a deal on Black Friday/Pre- X-Mas sales, but since it is Disney, I doubt you'll be able to get all three for that price or less.

target has a cartwheel deal on 20% off on 4k movies atm. but limited to 4 or 5 total.

then   if you use your red card the total is 25% off.

Dolby Atmos, fad or here to stay? Worth the price of admission (adding speakers to compatible receiver)?
It's standard on all UHD Blu-rays (as far as I know, at least), so it's definitely here to stay. It's not the mind-blowing leap that going from TV speakers to 5.1 is, and it's not as big of a deal as moving from compressed DVD audio to HD audio on Blu-rays, but it is very nice. There are a lot of setup options, though--options are great, but it makes planning more complex. All that said, if you get a nice enough setup and watch something that really benefits from it (movies with shooting, some type of plane or ship moving overhead, etc) then it's quite awesome.

I supplemented my 5.1 setup with a couple of height speakers to make it a 5.1.2. It's not life changing, but it was a small amount of extra money compared to the main system, and I'm definitely enjoying the added layer.

It's standard on all UHD Blu-rays (as far as I know, at least), so it's definitely here to stay. It's not the mind-blowing leap that going from TV speakers to 5.1 is, and it's not as big of a deal as moving from compressed DVD audio to HD audio on Blu-rays, but it is very nice. There are a lot of setup options, though--options are great, but it makes planning more complex. All that said, if you get a nice enough setup and watch something that really benefits from it (movies with shooting, some type of plane or ship moving overhead, etc) then it's quite awesome.

I supplemented my 5.1 setup with a couple of height speakers to make it a 5.1.2. It's not life changing, but it was a small amount of extra money compared to the main system, and I'm definitely enjoying the added layer.
Unfortunately it's not standard on 4k Blus, make sure to check before you buy.

Unfortunately it's not standard on 4k Blus, make sure to check before you buy.
I've never seen one that doesn't have it. Certainly not saying you're wrong, but that's very interesting. Hopefully those are the rare, early exceptions.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

They're getting more common unfortunately, a few that come to mind are the mission impossible movies and cloverfield movies.
It depends entirely on the discretion of the studio, and what the movie was originally recorded in. Atmos is the best right now, just like DTS was the best in the era of DVD, and studios/filmmakers who do not take advantage of the highest end theater systems will have unhappy customers, who are less likely to buy future releases. 3-D users are the ones most consistently screwed, as certain studios (like Warner) give them inferior tracks, while the 4K and standard versions get Atmos.

Tested out the Atmos with The Last Jedi (dont judge me) and switching between 7.1 to 7.1 Atmos, my wife and I could clearly tell the difference. The sound just appeared to come from everywhere.

Might be that there just haven't been any really good 4K sales. That will likely change once we enter the holiday shopping season next month.
I hope so. I have a $25 visa gift card only good for online purchases. I can actually get fairly cheap 4K movies locally on CL and offerup but would prefer to use my gift card.

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing all the deals for 4K movies on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Last year there was just a small selection of $10 range 4K movies, but 4K seems to have become a lot more popular since then. Hopefully that will result in better deals.

4k has me torn because on the one hand, it's double-dipping in most cases for me and I'm not really able to justify it 9/10, even on sale. On the other, why did I get my glorified 4k player (X1) if not to take advantage of it? I mean, I guess it does play FH4. . . :lol:

Last year there was just a small selection of $10 range 4K movies, but 4K seems to have become a lot more popular since then. Hopefully that will result in better deals.
I think we will see that this year. Heck, I don't believe Target had any BF deals on 4K movies last year and they have advertised several $9 movies this year. Best Buy will probably have the most deals though.

I’m hoping Best Buy has some other 4K movies on sale, the Target ones listed so far aren’t just-haves for me (or I already own it in some format so no double-dipping)

If you click the link, all 55 are shown from within the ad. Works for all the movies but a lot of it is contradictory between the different prices so who knows.

If you click the link, all 55 are shown from within the ad. Works for all the movies but a lot of it is contradictory between the different prices so who knows.
Some good deals: Justice League 4K and Westworld S1 for $10 each, for starters, but many of the movies advertised have been at (or close to) the advertised price point in the past, including last years sale at this same retailer. Those who didn't buy Hacksaw Ridge or John Wick last year will be lightly rewarded this time around, but there are no real surprises as of yet. Keep in mind, though, that these are only the Black Friday weekend deals: they haven't announced their doorbusters yet, which is where the jaw-droppers tend to lie.

Incredibly frustrating the 2001: Space Odyssey 4K release is pushed back to 11/20 with potential to be delayed on Amazon to December. After seeing it on the shelf in Best Buy for two weeks they had two copies available today; Snagged one and went to the register to ring out - unable to be sold at point of sale  :bomb:  Apparently street date is 11/20 - but estimates are that every store is getting only 2 copies because WB can't keep up with the demand of the print. The steelbook is still listed as "coming soon" but likely going to be even rarer. It's a matte copy though, not embossed but at this rate I'll take whichever copy I can get first. The actual chipboard box is pretty sweet though :(

Incredibly frustrating the 2001: Space Odyssey 4K release is pushed back to 11/20 with potential to be delayed on Amazon to December. After seeing it on the shelf in Best Buy for two weeks they had two copies available today; Snagged one and went to the register to ring out - unable to be sold at point of sale :bomb: Apparently street date is 11/20 - but estimates are that every store is getting only 2 copies because WB can't keep up with the demand of the print. The steelbook is still listed as "coming soon" but likely going to be even rarer. It's a matte copy though, not embossed but at this rate I'll take whichever copy I can get first. The actual chipboard box is pretty sweet though :(
I also saw one on the shelf at BB. Didn't try to buy it but it sucks that you can't. They need to remove it from the shelves then!

Amazon (as usual) has matched or bettered most of the offerings from other stores, except this time they added a few of their own.

Rampage was supposedly $8.96 at Walmart but I never saw it get that price online. Checked in store this afternoon and didn't see it.

I ordered it, the digital code(s) expire at the end of this year so make sure to use them.
Yes, and unlike a lot of other companies, which give plenty of leeway, WB is strict on their expirations. I failed to get one of mine entered in on an older edition of Deathly Hollows, and it would not honor it mere days after expiration, while other studio's titles honored them 6+ months after expiration.

Fairly certain they were advertised as $15 until a few of them started getting real BF prices. It was stupid to me how Wonder Woman was that price this year after being $10 last year. I bought literally all of one BD that I may not even keep this year because the prices were awful; not BF worthy at all.

Are these just the same movies they had on BF still being offered at that price, or are there new additions?
Some are new movies I didn't see on Black Friday. Came back today and picked up Logan and Deadpool 2. I also saw stuff like suicide squad and justice league.

bread's done
Back