$5 Blu-Rays at Target (USED to be $3.99, but that deal has ended.)

DaBargainHunta

CAGiversary!
UPDATE: Back to $5. Still a good deal IMO because they're currently double that price ($10) on Amazon.

These were not on the clearance shelf but rather on the back wall mixed in with DVDs, which means it could possibly be a nationwide special, but I'm not sure.

- Another Stakeout
- Big Business
- Gross Anatomy
- Straight Talk
- America's National Treasures
- Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (credit: dvdactor) -- this one was separate from the others

They rang up on the price scanner as $3.99 without any issues.

LMK if any of you find these (or any others) at your Target.

EDIT: Seems to be a nationwide deal after all.

(I grabbed all of them except Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, but I'm wondering if maybe I should go back for that...lol.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems it is their $5 blu discs on sale for $3.99. I saw Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus on an end cap for $3.99 on Sunday.

[quote name='yedgee']I saw these as well today in southeast MI. Not
a bad price. Btw, all were DD 2.0.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming that this is a nationwide deal.

I'm not expecting top quality from any of these, but the price is right. I can't see these going much cheaper for a long, long time.

I've always wanted to see Another Stakeout (I know it's probably crap, but I loved the original) and Big Business is a childhood favorite. The others, who knows... I just grabbed them for the hell of it. :)

[quote name='dvdactor']It seems it is their $5 blu discs on sale for $3.99. I saw Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus on an end cap for $3.99 on Sunday.[/QUOTE]
Come to think of it, I saw that too...but separate from the others. I edited the OP to include this one. Thanks!

These are normally $4.99...so keep that in mind. These are not OMG cheap prices. These are generally crap titles, crap picture and crap audio.

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']I'm not expecting top quality from any of these, but the price is right.[/QUOTE]

Heh, back when DVDs were still as new as blu-rays are now, the first time I saw a bin of cheap DVDs I said the exact same thing, and went crazy and bought a stack of them. Pretty much all of them were absolutely terrible, and not even worth the little I spent. Not making that mistake again.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, back when DVDs were still as new as blu-rays are now, the first time I saw a bin of cheap DVDs I said the exact same thing, and went crazy and bought a stack of them. Pretty much all of them were absolutely terrible, and not even worth the little I spent. Not making that mistake again.[/QUOTE]

A valid point, but in this case, there's one movie I love (Big Business) that likely won't ever get a better version, one I've always wanted to see even though it's probably crap (Another Stakeout, just because the original was so awesome), and a few '80s/'90s movies I'm mildly curious about (Straight Talk and Gross Anatomy). As for America's National Treasures, well, I dunno why I got that. :p

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, back when DVDs were still as new as blu-rays are now, the first time I saw a bin of cheap DVDs I said the exact same thing, and went crazy and bought a stack of them. Pretty much all of them were absolutely terrible, and not even worth the little I spent. Not making that mistake again.[/QUOTE]

This. At the moment, I'm only picking up Blu-Rays if I have coupons or they go on sale for less than about $15. Once Blu-Ray becomes the standard, it'll be easier to develop a cheap collection, just like DVDs.

[quote name='GizmoGC']These are normally $4.99...so keep that in mind. These are not OMG cheap prices. These are generally crap titles, crap picture and crap audio.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming, I assumed none of these were worth watching, let alone owning.

I always tell myself that if I don't love a movie enough to theoretically buy it at $15, I won't buy it now just 'cause it's $4.

Sorry for the worthless coment here, but how do movies like this make it to blu ray? Movies like Three Amigos or the Burbs aren't available. Just two movies off the top of my head.

All of the threadcrapping is beyond lame. Are there much better movies not on Blu-Ray yet? Yes, of course (including the first Stakeout). But most of these aren't bad movies...

- Big Business is a lot of fun. If you're a fan of '80s screwball comedies, I highly recommend it. Bette Midler, Lily Tomlin, and Fred Ward all near the top of their games is nothing to sneeze it.

- I watched Straight Talk last night and enjoyed it. It's certainly not the most original movie ever made, but it's light, breezy, and relaxing to watch. The two leads have nice chemistry and tons of future superstars show up in bit roles, which is always the fun of an older movie like this.

- I remember hearing good things about Gross Anatomy back in the day. It has a nice cast and Ebert gave it three stars.

- Another Stakeout probably sucks, but I gave it a shot because the first was awesome and even bad sequels have a charm about them just because the characters and actors are so good (like the inferior Cocoon sequel).

- America's National Treasures, who knows, but it could be interesting.

- The only one I didn't get was the monster flick.

If they're not worth $4 to you, I agree, don't buy them. ;) But if you have ANY interest in these movies, you certainly can't go wrong at this price.

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']All of the threadcrapping is beyond lame. Are there much better movies not on Blu-Ray yet? Yes, of course (including the first Stakeout). But most of these aren't bad movies...[/QUOTE]

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to threadcrap, but rather to share the wisdom gained through my previous mistakes. ;) Though you're right, even if they're not great, these are better movies than those DVDs were. I still don't think I'd buy them (I think if I really need to see any of them, Netflix will be good enough for me), but to each their own!

OMG...I saw Big Business and Straight Talk in the theaters when they originally came out (Yes, I'm THAT old), so def gotta check this out.

Really tempted to get Megashark, since I always see it on my way out of Target on the registers. I left it alone at 4.99, but somehow 3.99 makes me want to get it. LOL I can't explain it. I know it's bad, I saw about 5 minutes of it on SyFy, but to me anything that's rental price that I would have an interest in seeing is worth buying, even if I only watch it once. Not worth a special trip, but I'm sure I'll be at or near a Target sometime this week. Thanks OP! Regardless of the quality, 3.99 blu's are a good deal.

Don't get mega shark! I saw it on netflix and by saw I mean skim 90% of it. There is basically one 3min clip of the shark & squid fighting and they keep reusing it over and over from different angles and distances throughout the movie never adding more. Horrible garbage. All boring talk in between.

[quote name='vic_x51']Don't get mega shark! I saw it on netflix and by saw I mean skim 90% of it. There is basically one 3min clip of the shark & squid fighting and they keep reusing it over and over from different angles and distances throughout the movie never adding more. Horrible garbage. All boring talk in between.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, the sequel too. I wanted to love these movies so much but the trailers are the best thing about them.

I've always been a big fan of Gross Anatomy and grabbed it a few weeks back when I saw they had it for $5. I can't comment on the picture/sound since I haven't gotten to watch the blu yet, but the movie is great if you like 80's rom/com's.

- Another Stakeout
- Big Business
- Gross Anatomy
- Straight Talk

I picked these up last week so I'll be getting a price adjustment on them this week. :)

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']

(I grabbed all of them except Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, but I'm wondering if maybe I should go back for that...lol.)[/QUOTE]

Shit, that's the only one worth getting just for the sheer "why the fuck was this made" factor.

[quote name='Deadpool']Shit, that's the only one worth getting just for the sheer "why the fuck was this made" factor.[/QUOTE]

Debbie Gibson. That's why.
Although, something tells me that most folks on this board are you too young to know who she is.

wjijqgvxv9jhjjq.jpg

[quote name='techstar25']Debbie Gibson. That's why.[/QUOTE]

It was made because of Debbie Gibson? Explain, please, I'm curious. (And was she the mega shark, or the giant octopus? :lol:)

[quote name='arcane93']It was made because of Debbie Gibson? Explain, please, I'm curious. (And was she the mega shark, or the giant octopus? :lol:)[/QUOTE]

I think she was the mega shark.

wlzn2h.jpg

M

I'm also very tempted to finally pick up Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, but now that I own Birdemic on Blu-ray it just doesn't seem like any other terrible, terrible movies are worth watching again... ever.

BTW, the company that made Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is called Asylum and all of their movies are like that: a premise that looks cool on the cover and then the movie is just a lot of talking with a few minutes of action... that or they just rip off a big budget movie and release their version at the same time to confuse people into buying it!

Oh and if you love terrible movies, SEE BIRDEMIC!!!

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Have no desire to watch any of those movies. I might grab Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus as a gag gift for someones birthday but probably not.[/QUOTE]

America's National Treasures

This one is actually decent. For $3.99 and it has 7 hours worth of content pretty good buy.

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']
(I grabbed all of them except Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, but I'm wondering if maybe I should go back for that...lol.)[/QUOTE]

How the hell could you leave the only one of those worth getting?!? :hot::drool:

Whoops I thought it was Sharktopus. Never mind.

Another Stakeout was always one of those movies that I used to see playing on HBO and next thing you know I'm watching the rest of it. I always enjoyed it and it had some funny parts. I'm not going to go out and say it is great by any means, but I'd say it is worth $4 if you want to laugh. I don't have a need for it as I have it on DVD already.

There is a PBS doc blu for $5 at my target of monuments or something and I was wondering if it was worth it to buy.

I wish I could remember what it was called.

These Blu-Rays are back to being $5. I've updated the OP accordingly. Still a good deal IMO because they're currently double that price ($10) on Amazon.

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']These Blu-Rays are back to being $5. I've updated the OP accordingly. Still a good deal IMO because they're currently double that price ($10) on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

$10 on Amazon? thats insane. I looked at these at Target today and they are pretty cheaply made. SOme no name company distrubutes them, no special features whatsoever, and the cases are pretty cheap looking. The Bluray symbol isnt even silver. But to each there own.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']$10 on Amazon? thats insane. I looked at these at Target today and they are pretty cheaply made. SOme no name company distrubutes them, no special features whatsoever, and the cases are pretty cheap looking. The Bluray symbol isnt even silver. But to each there own.[/QUOTE]
There are a few variants of Blu-Ray cases, even among the "major" releases. These cases actually aren't as bad as some I've seen from "bigger" releases (like these). You're right about the lack of extras, but if you're a fan of the movies, you can't go wrong for even $5 (though $4 was obviously even better). :)

bread's done
Back