5 Non-Paying Bidders, Almost 2 Weeks Advice?

Lobsterjohnson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I listed about 30 some odd auctions on ebay 3 weeks ago. They were all successful and most had no problems. But here, for the first time, I have multiple Non-Paying Bidders on 5 items! I've sent them all messages before opening disputes. I've also left messages on the disputes so they'll get emails but I haven't heard back from any of them. So now I'm debating on calling them as all of their phone numbers are available, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think, too early? It's almost been 2 weeks since the auctions ended.

That's an awful lot of trouble to go to. If they wanted to pay you they would have, so I dont think calling would be much help. At this point if it were me I'd just leave the negative feedback and be done with it. They had their chance to either communicate or follow through, and if they didn't, then that's about all you can do. If that gets them to respond then you might request they pay you back listing and selling fees for the items if they still don't want them.

As a caveat, I've had to 'nudge' some people to pay, but I've never had to do the above. So I may be missing some valuable detail about the process.

don't call them, file a dispute. Start putting the amount of time you're willing to wait for payment in your auctions. I suggest one week.

I don't understand why people bid on stuff then take forever to pay...if you're going to buy something, you should have the money for it, and pay sooner so you get it faster, eh? none of this "oh, I have to wait for my paycheck" bullshit.

[quote name='Apossum']don't call them, file a dispute. Start putting the amount of time you're willing to wait for payment in your auctions. I suggest one week.

I don't understand why people bid on stuff then take forever to pay...if you're going to buy something, you should have the money for it, and pay sooner so you get it faster, eh? none of this "oh, I have to wait for my paycheck" bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the people who have to wait on their paycheck, because they actually DO pay.

It's the people who win shit, NEVER communicate with you, and NEVER pay. What the fuck is the point of that?

One guy won two of my items, about $60 worth of shit, and never paid, never communicated, and Ebay is fucking broke when getting your money back. 7 days to file a dispute, and another 7 days to close it? Ridiculous.

If the buyer doesn't communicate for that long,it most like they won't pay.I had one ebayer who kept making excuse that they can't pay.They kept saying that bank closed early or there was a big snow storm,but when i check the weather channel website and enter the zipcode,there was no snow storm.I file a non paying bidder and block that ass.The item didn't cost that much either it was $15 shipped.

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't mind the people who have to wait on their paycheck, because they actually DO pay.[/quote]

in my experience, i've found the opposite to be true. in fact, on three separate occasions, i've had people tell me they'll send payment when their "check comes in"... all 3 were NPBs. which isn't to say that they never intended to pay, just that they never did. my feeling is that if someone is the type of person who wins an auction and doesn't have available funds to pay for it, they're the exact same type who back out of the deal altogether.

I never call for a NPB. I'd just let the disputes play out, close them as soon as you become eligible for the FVF credit, and then relist. I generally let eBay send the automated invoice at the listing's end. Then I e-mail a nice reminder a few days later. Then a bit more insistent reminder a few days after that. Then I open the dispute and that's the end of my contact unless they respond to the dispute or actually pay. Sounds to me like you've done plenty to contact them.

It's possible that a phone call might prompt a payment, but I guess I just worry that a nutjob might get pissed about being called and it just doesn't seem worth the effort on the typical $10-20 item I sell. I might call on a couple hundred dollar item, but even then if I know it ended at right around what I'd get again on a relist, I think I'd just do that and skip the call.

Personally I don't leave neg FB for NPBs out of fear of undeserved retaliatory negs, but that's up to you.

I give 7 days to pay and then if I dont hear from the buyer I send one email out. If I still dont hear from them for 3 more days, I start the NPB process and block the bidder.

Here's a response from the guy with the feedback i linked:

Sorry. Don't want it. I apologize a thousand times. PS....You should check out the movie 300....it's
fantastic.

Yeah, like I wanna be this mother fucker's friend. How can I get my FvF and have an unpaid item strike appear on his account?

7 full days after you opened the NPB dispute you'll be able to close it, get your FVF refund and he'll get a strike. eBay makes it pretty clear what will happen with the option you are choosing when you go to close out the dispute. Pretty sure there is a greyed out checkmark that turns green when you are FVF refund eligible.

If he put that response on the official dispute it may stretch out the timing (even though he is admitting he won't be paying...) but I'm not sure.

[quote name='wubb']
If he put that response on the official dispute it may stretch out the timing (even though he is admitting he won't be paying...) but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Any response at all by the buyer automatically means the option to give them a strike, get a FVF, and end communication becomes available.

I had a guy not write me for 11 days, until he finally put in the dispute the automatic "buyer intends to pay for this item" and I wrote in the dispute he has a day to pay - a day came up, he didn't pay, I was able to strike him immediately.

[quote name='Roufuss']Any response at all by the buyer automatically means the option to give them a strike, get a FVF, and end communication becomes available.

I had a guy not write me for 11 days, until he finally put in the dispute the automatic "buyer intends to pay for this item" and I wrote in the dispute he has a day to pay - a day came up, he didn't pay, I was able to strike him immediately.[/QUOTE]

Did not know that. I think I've only had a buyer actually respond to a NPB once and that was quite a while ago.

[quote name='m0dem']welcome to ebay[/quote]
This would be relevant if I haven't been using ebay for years...but I have. It's just this is the first time I've had problems with NPBs.

Thanks to Roufuss and Wubb, you guys are always pretty helpful on the forums. I'm sure I can get this situated now.

Yeah, definitely don't call. I've had a few people attempt from eBay attempt to contact me on the phone in the past for various reasons, and I hung up on them, I don't want to talk to you, if there's a problem, send an e-mail.

In my experience though, once it reaches the Non-Paying Bidder stage, it's a lost cause, the person isn't going to respond and won't pay. I've also never encountered a situation where they reciprocate negative feedback for not paying either.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']This would be relevant if I haven't been using ebay for years...but I have. It's just this is the first time I've had problems with NPBs.

Thanks to Roufuss and Wubb, you guys are always pretty helpful on the forums. I'm sure I can get this situated now.[/quote]

This thing always happens on ebay usually its the people with no feedback sometimes its ones with lots of feedback. They are always there and always will be

My eBay experiences have been ass and good.

Had someone else buy a copy of Super Metroid for me, they won it, paid. Seller wouldn't respond. Guy had tons of feedback. Weeks later he finally ships it. >_>

Then, once I made an account I bought a RoboReptile, put my paypal in, took 3 days to withdraw from my account sadly, but once they got the money it shipped right out. Personally, eBay is a pain. To much risk from idiots >_>

In your ebay seller account make sure to block these options: Buyers with 2 unpaid reports filed in the last month. People with negative feedback, and make sure to check "paypal account required." That seemed to work for me lately.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']This would be relevant if I haven't been using ebay for years...but I have. It's just this is the first time I've had problems with NPBs.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I get 'em all the time.

And Wubb, I didn't know about the instant FVF credit either until it just happened to me recently. I sold an extra remote from Wii Play and the woman who won it thought it was for the entire Wii system #-o. Or at least that's what she claimed. I waited 7 days, filed the dispute and she responded to it immediatelty saying something like "I already said I was sorry, what do you want from me?". This AFTER I told her I would have to file to get my fees back. Anyway, I noticed right away that the FVF option was green, so I snagged it and blocked her.

I also never leave negative feedback but I think if they DO NOT respond to your non-paying bidder alert they CANNOT leave you negative feedback (or positive for that matter). I had someone pay me with a pending PayPal payment from overseas for an item. After 30 days of it being "pending" (like an e-check) it was cancelled automatically by PayPal. I filed and got my fees back. Just the other day, nearly 2 months after the aucton ended, the buyer leaves lme feedback that says simply "ok". But the rating (presumably a positive, who knows) was pulled by ebay with a note that the buyer did not respond to the non-paying bidder alert. So I suppose you could neg people after you get your fees back IF they don't respond. They can still leave a nasty comment, but the rating will not show.

But for whatever reason, I get lots of NPB. And most of them are on BIN auctions, which is highly annoying. I could sort of see it on a regular auction because someone might not expect to win with their bid. But on a BIN, and *especially* on a Best Offer for a BIN (this has happened a few times), it is very obnoxious.

[quote name='io']
But for whatever reason, I get lots of NPB. And most of them are on BIN auctions, which is highly annoying. I could sort of see it on a regular auction because someone might not expect to win with their bid. But on a BIN, and *especially* on a Best Offer for a BIN (this has happened a few times), it is very obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

io, turn immediate payment on for BIN's and you'll never have a NPB again, since the auction dosen't get taken down UNTIL they pay.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Here's a response from the guy with the feedback i linked:

Sorry. Don't want it. I apologize a thousand times. PS....You should check out the movie 300....it's
fantastic.

Yeah, like I wanna be this mother fucker's friend. How can I get my FvF and have an unpaid item strike appear on his account?[/quote]

hahahahah what the hell????

[quote name='Roufuss']io, turn immediate payment on for BIN's and you'll never have a NPB again, since the auction dosen't get taken down UNTIL they pay.[/QUOTE]

Except then they can only use PP for payment. Cuts off anyone without an account. But I do this myself on things I can't wait for payment for whatever reason.

I have a pretty low rate of NPBs on BINs or fixed price listings. Definitely under 1%. *knock on wood* Maybe I'm just lucky.

[quote name='wubb']Except then they can only use PP for payment. Cuts off anyone without an account. But I do this myself on things I can't wait for payment for whatever reason.

I have a pretty low rate of NPBs on BINs or fixed price listings. Definitely under 1%. *knock on wood* Maybe I'm just lucky.[/QUOTE]

Wow, mine's more like 5-10%, or maybe it just seems that way ;).

Yeah, I don't do immediate payment because I don't want to cut off potential bidders - only thing I ever did that on was the 1 PS3 that I sold. Call me old-fashioned but I still remember the days when ebay was money-order only and I still allow MO and check payments. I still get them too (at a higher rate than I get NPB so I figure it is worth it).

One of my more recent NPB was someone who said their PayPal account was having issues and they hoped to pay within a week. 3 weeks later I hear nothing from them. As annoying as the one was who told me right away she didn't want it, I'd much prefer that to the people who make crap up and string you along for weeks.

[quote name='wubb']Except then they can only use PP for payment. Cuts off anyone without an account. But I do this myself on things I can't wait for payment for whatever reason.

I have a pretty low rate of NPBs on BINs or fixed price listings. Definitely under 1%. *knock on wood* Maybe I'm just lucky.[/QUOTE]

I only take money orders on very special occasions... longer than a year, 100% positive feedback, and they get a postal money order.

People who ask nicely and meet those terms, I let them slide and send me one... I don't advertise it though, everything else can go through Paypal.

I'm just not going to have another $60 worth of stuff tied up with a NPB again.

why bother fucking around. call them, if they dont answser (which happened to me once) file the dispute, youll win, get your fees back, and then you can relist them.

bread's done
Back