50% off all game guides and B1G1 on UMD movies at Toys R Us 11/20-11/21

BigBen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Toys R Us has 50% off all game guides and B1G1 on UMD movies today and tomorrow (11/20-11/21). The UMD movie sale is so so, but I think 50% off game guides is pretty sweet, especially for some of the time intensive games that have come out recently.

Any ad/link to confirm this? Might be interested in picking a guide up with some extra store credit I have.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it on the toysrus web site AD section...does anyone know if best buy will price match a deal like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FeathersMcGraw']Hmm. I may just need to upgrade to the Fallout 3 GOTY guide. The first one was indispensable.[/QUOTE]

Do they carry that? I was thinking about picking that one up... but I don't remember seeing it.

[quote name='EvilIA']I'll check it out. But the last time I was there and looked around all my TRU guides were for the PG Games.[/QUOTE]

Pictured in the ad were the ACII and Super Mario Bros. Wii guides, so it looks like they might carry more than just PG game guides.

[quote name='Vinny']Do they carry that? I was thinking about picking that one up... but I don't remember seeing it.[/QUOTE]

Last time Toys R Us had an online sale on guides I picked up the regular Fallout 3 guide for $10, but it seems that they no longer carry that or the GOTY guide.

Thanks ACII was the guide I was hoping for.

Mine literally had nothing but nintendo game guides last time I looked.

for the price match, YMMV

Ok checked (called) TRU and they did have mostly "PG" game guides but they also had Street fighter IV, Dragon Age (regular edt), and Batman AA among others. Sorry, no Fallout. I feel kinda wierd going to a TRU store because of my age (above 12) so I went to my local BB (love those places) for a price match.

Printed out the (50% off all game guides) from their Fri-Sat sale ad. Walked over to CS to see if they would honor the ad. The rep checked the ad then his computer to confirm all was cool. So I went back to the isle and did some shopping. Found a lot of good guides picked up a few. Went back to the CS counter but their was a different csr there. Asked him where the other guy went and he said that it was prob his break. They were not so receptive to the price match... They (the csr and a manager) made a few phone calls and were initially not going to do it. The manager ultimately agreed to however (woot!) reasoning as it was the holidays. They did note criteria for future price matches like this:

-store has to be local
-item must be in stock at both locations (they called to confirm)
-price must be for BM locations so no on-line

Good luck CAG'ns!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why feel weird about going into TrU? Adults shop there all the time for their kids so you wouldn't look out of place. They're glad to see customers and I've been in my local store numerous times thanks to their recent sales and offers.

I usually don't buy guides since I've access to the internet but for the price it might be worth looking through their stock for some of the bigger games.

[quote name='DPsx7']Why feel weird about going into TrU? [/QUOTE]
I have a complex... ^^;

[quote name='DPsx7']Why feel weird about going into TrU? Adults shop there all the time for their kids so you wouldn't look out of place. They're glad to see customers and I've been in my local store numerous times thanks to their recent sales and offers.

I usually don't buy guides since I've access to the internet but for the price it might be worth looking through their stock for some of the bigger games.[/QUOTE]

I find that because I don't have screaming kids with me, I often get decent service. It does feel a little odd at times, but I've made friends with some of the employees and they seem to appreciate my business.

I went to Best Buy (Baton Rouge - Millerville store) to PM, and I got it without much trouble. The CSR was very nice, but it definitely had a YMMV feel.

There was only 3 guides I was interested in (being that they were HC LEs or SEs): Dragon Age: Origons, Assassin's Creed 2, and Fallout 3 GOTY. I already had the AC2 guide from Amazon, and ended up passing on the Fallout guide since I already beat the game once.

The DA:O guide was supposed to be regularly 34.99, but rather than 50% off the CSR gave it to me for $12.50 (the max price of a guide in the TRU ad). Wished I would have picked up the Fallout guide at that price, but oh well.

[quote name='reddjoey']I find that because I don't have screaming kids with me, I often get decent service. It does feel a little odd at times, but I've made friends with some of the employees and they seem to appreciate my business.[/QUOTE]

Ha, probably. I know the last 2 or 3 times I was there the same guy was behind the counter and we talked for a few minutes. But it's not like I walk around the store, the gaming section has its own corner.

And as far as PM'ing at BB, I don't like that store so I'd only PM for really good deals and only if I'm out of options.

[quote name='ChaosGamer']what's the price of the Ac2 guide with the 50% off?[/QUOTE]

$9.99

You could've checked this yourself since this sale is also online.

I checked my local TRU and they had:

COD: MW2
DA: Origins
Scribblenauts
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
New Super Mario Bros.
Lego Batman
SWFU
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Madden 2010
and not much else.

I couldn't bring myself to bite on any (even at half price).

I tried bringing the ad into Best Buy to PM but I asked two different people and they said that they do not honor 2-day ads, only weekly ads. This really surprised me-- Reading their price match guarantee, it says:

"If you find a lower advertised price on the same available brand and model prior to your purchase or during the exchange and return period, we will match that price. Simply bring in the ad of the local retail competitor or Best Buy, while the lower price is in effect and receive your price match."

Wouldn't that mean any advertised price in an ad? Any feedback? Think I should print their policy and bring it in? Mainly I am interested in the Fallout 3 GOTY guide.. I don't know if it's worth it.. but now I feel like I want to do it just for the principle of it..

[quote name='emg28']I checked my local TRU and they had:

COD: MW2
DA: Origins
Scribblenauts
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
New Super Mario Bros.
Lego Batman
SWFU
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Madden 2010
and not much else.

I couldn't bring myself to bite on any (even at half price).[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same thing at mine. Picked up SVR2010, Star Wars: Clone Wars, Mini Ninjas & Indiana Jones 2. Gonna check 2 others today, looking for Prototype, Brutal Legend and Fallout or Dragon Age hardcover guides.

[quote name='jer7583']are you finding dragon age at a lot of toys r us stores?[/QUOTE]

Both TRU I went to had Dragon Age. The regular, not the hardcover.

Went to Best Buy to PM and they did it with no hassle - didn't call Toys r us to check stock and they gave me the Fallout 3 GOTY guide for 1/2 off even though Toys R Us ad said up to $24.99 (It was $26.99) So yea I guess this deal is total YMMV.

Here's what I got:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Kingdom Hearts
Uncharted 2
Borderlands
Fallout 3 GOTY

Last night after my disappointment I called a friend who is a manager at a different Best Buy. He said that they were pricematching the TRU ad and that all of the managers got an email specifically about the TRU ad. He said to go back in and ask for a manager right away. I did that and the manager said he would go check his email. (It paid to namedrop my friend's name so that he knew I was legit..) He came back saying that he couldn't find it but that he would "bend the rules" and give me the deal anyway. Meanwhile, I texted my friend the scenario, and he forwarded the email to the manager! Ha! As I went to the guides section I felt glad this was getting corrected, but I also hoped I wasn't being a nuisance to them. That made me realize that they were probably hoping I would just pick something out asap so they could get me out of the store. So, I played into their urgency and picked up a Fallout 3 Collector's Edition, figuring they were just going to give me the 50% on whatever to get me out of the store.. I was right! $18.71 for the $35 guide!! Like I said, I hope I didn't ruin their morning, but I sure am glad to get a deal!

I was planning on getting Dragon Age guide but after reading some of the reviews I'm thinking its not even worth the $10.

Yeah I decided to pass on the DA guide too. I'll just play it regular.

Game Guides are so shitty these days. And way overpriced even at $10, imo. Print them on lower quality stock without all the filler imagery and pages with two paragraphs worth of text with black and white pictures and sell em for $5, then we'll talk.

Our TRU is still closed after being hit by a tornado. If anyone finds a Fallout GOTY or Oblivion (preferably GOTY but doesn't have to be)

I'd be happy to pay for it and shipping. PM me if you find one!

bread's done
Back