50% off OnLive Games - $25 Mafia II, $10 Trine, $20 Batman AA

i4ybrid

CAGiversary!
There's a half off sale at OnLive.
It works relatively well, but you can buy and play Mafia 2 for $25. The sale starts today at 5PM PDT. It goes on until Labor Day at 11 PM PDT.
I definitely recommend signing up and at least trying it before you buy anything.

Disclaimer: The games you buy won't be playable unless you pay for an OnLive account. It's free for the first year, and $5/month for the second. Pricing after that is TBD. (thanks gpthree)

http://www.onlive.com/promo/laborday

Here's a list of their games with the FULL prices for purchase.
Assassin's Creed II - $39.99
Batman: Arkham Asylum - $39.99
Borderlands - $29.99
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - $19.99
Just Cause 2 - $49.99
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - $49.99
LEGO Batman: The Videogame - $19.99
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - $29.99
Mafia II - $49.99
Major League Baseball 2K10 - $29.99
NBA 2K10 - $19.99
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - $49.99
Red Faction: Guerrilla - $19.99
Saw - $39.99
Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic - $49.99
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction - $59.99
Unreal Tournament III: Titan Pack - $19.99
Virtua Tennis 2009 - $29.99
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!!! - $9.99
Brain Challenge - $4.99
Defense Grid Gold - $13.99
Madballs in Babo: Invasion - $9.99
Puzzle Chronicles - $9.99
Shatter - $8.99
The Maw - $9.99
Trine - $19.99
World of Goo - $19.99

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had any lag issues, but I do have a beef with it eating up that much bandwidth. I might want to be downloading while playing, and with it eating 600 KB/s, I can't be downloading anymore. Other than the video quality not being that great, I don't notice that I'm playing a "cloud" game.
I recommend you sign up for a free account (they will ask for your CC, but won't put any charges on it), and try a few demos.

I like OnLive but I just don't see a reason to use it... Most of these games can be played on the Xbox 360 with no lag at around the same prices (Mafia 2 is a great deal tho).

Me and my buddy played the Lego Harry Potter game for their contest a while back (and won ;) ) and noticed little to no issues with the actual cloud gameplay/lag. My major problem with it is you HAVE to be subscribed to OnLive to play the games you buy with it. If you quit in the future, no more games. I much prefer my digital or hard copy forms of games that are permanent to me. I have a massive backlog of games and if they were on OnLive, that would require me to pay $5-15/month just to have access to them. That is bullshit.

However, I think they should offer Starcraft 2 as one of their games. There are a LOT of players out there that probably would like to play it on Ultra settings. On the flipside, they would be gimped in multiplayer because of the ever so slight lag that hard copy players don't have.

The games they are offering right now just aren't graphically intensive enough to warrant playing them on a cloud server with a supercomputer. Most people can probably run these games well enough on their own computers. The most graphically intense game I see on there is either Splinter Cell or Batman.

[quote name='i4ybrid']
Disclaimer: The games you buy won't be playable unless you pay for an OnLive account. It's free for the first year, and $5 for the second. Pricing after that is TBD.

[/QUOTE]

Shouldnt that say $5/month for the second year?

[quote name='gpthree']Shouldnt that say $5/month for the second year?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's assumed. His grammar is correct, don't worry ;).

I forgot to mention the one other major plus to OnLive. Rentals! I love that they do rentals on games. I hate going to the store and renting stuff, so this is an awesome alternative.

I don't like the concept that if you don't pay for OnLive, when it eventually goes to a pay service, you won't have access to your games.

Also, I experience lag problems. The whole service is a lie about non-gaming computers being able to handle playing games through OnLive.

"I like OnLive but I just don't see a reason to use it... Most of these games can be played on the Xbox 360 with no lag at around the same prices (Mafia 2 is a great deal tho)."

If someone only has a really old PC,or has a console dislikes playing games that focus on gunplay with controllers and wants play these games at max, its probably worth it, besides u can't play Just cause 2 on xp.

"My major problem with it is you HAVE to be subscribed to OnLive to play the games you buy with it. If you quit in the future, no more games. "

Well it depends on how much it costs, but yeah i kind of agree. If its 5$ month then its decent, but more then that its a bit overkill. I would also like to know if u can use mods in OnLive.

"However, I think they should offer Starcraft 2 as one of their games. There are a LOT of players out there that probably would like to play it on Ultra settings. On the flipside, they would be gimped in multiplayer because of the ever so slight lag that hard copy players don't have."

Every player has input lag :p There is no such thing as a 0ms lag mouse yet.

"The games they are offering right now just aren't graphically intensive enough to warrant playing them on a cloud server with a supercomputer. Most people can probably run these games well enough on their own computers. The most graphically intense game I see on there is either Splinter Cell or Batman."

Just Cause 2 can be pretty depending on max settings, i would say that one is more demanding then the other 2 u mentioned.

I have a gaming PC so don't really care about onlive.

[quote name='rareh']
"My major problem with it is you HAVE to be subscribed to OnLive to play the games you buy with it. If you quit in the future, no more games. "

Well it depends on how much it costs, but yeah i kind of agree. If its 5$ month then its decent, but more then that its a bit overkill. I would also like to know if u can use mods in OnLive.

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, any cost above zero to continue to play a game I also had to pay for on top of the subscription fee is bogus. It's a lot like renting an apartment - you put a ton of money into it, but keep nothing when you leave. If OnLive instituted something where after 6 months, you pick a game to keep forever, it might get some traction.

What a joke...almost full price to essentially RENT a game.

And I'm sorry to say that your experience won't even be remotely close to what someone with a good PC gets. There isn't even CLOSE to enough bandwidth to transmit a 2560x1600 feed at locked 60fps. If you're going to compromise for low resolution compressed graphics, may as well play your games on a console and actually OWN them.

If someone only has a really old PC,or has a console dislikes playing games that focus on gunplay with controllers and wants play these games at max, its probably worth it, besides u can't play Just cause 2 on xp.

So you're saying a very small portion of the population will find use out of it ;). I understand that people with crappy old computers benefit from this the most, but most of those people either A. Have an xbox/ps3/wii, B. Can't afford to play video games in the first place, or C. Don't play videogames period.

I just think that OnLive is really only pushing support to the people with garbage computers and the people with garbage computers still probably have no interest in playing PC games or they would get a nicer computer.

I think having your games on hold by another company is B.S. period. What if OnLive goes out of business? Goodbye to all those games you got. Sucks for you. I just think its a little ridiculous that you have to pay $5 just to access your games. If I wanted to replay an old game of mine (after stopping my OnLive sub), I would have to make damn well sure that I was going to play it enough to merit paying $5 to play it again. It would discourage me from playing my old games.

Every player has input lag :p There is no such thing as a 0ms lag mouse yet.

I know this :roll:. I meant beyond normal lag. You have your mouse click lag + OnLive cloud lag, which equals a drastic disadvantage when it comes to hardcore multiplayer bouts where it's alllll about micromanagement and click speed.

Just Cause 2 can be pretty depending on max settings, i would say that one is more demanding then the other 2 u mentioned.

Alright, so they have one worthy game of utilizing their amazing PCs. It's still not really worth it over the console versions, especially if you plan on playing multiplayer.

I have a gaming PC so don't really care about onlive.

Me too! :D

I don't mean to sound negative towards you. I just don't like OnLive's services is all. That's where my negativity is directed ;).

And from a developers perspective, we've been trying to talk to them about getting our game on their service for like 2 months now utilizing their beta features (and before you say anything, this is an arcade level title. Not some cheapo flash game.) they boasted before release and we haven't heard ANYTHING from them. They are not a very well thought out or useful company.

When OnLive goes belly up, the sky will be clear and free of clouds.

And all your games will be gone ;).

[quote name='i4ybrid']I haven't had any lag issues, but I do have a beef with it eating up that much bandwidth. I might want to be downloading while playing, and with it eating 600 KB/s, I can't be downloading anymore.[/QUOTE]
Holy crap! That's ridiculous. I'm lucky enough that I have cable so I can support 600 KB/s ( I think my pipe cuts out at 6Mbits ), but several cities right next to where I live only have one choice for broadband ISP: AT&T. Their DSL caps out at 1.5Mbits. I think even the best plan available to them is 3Mbits. That means OnLive is completely out of the question for them.

Even then, if I were cruising along using 5Mbits of bandwith for an hour+, I'm pretty sure my ISP would throttle me.

But then this doesn't really effect me since I'm hoping OnLive fails anyway... :p

[quote name='Darknuke']I think having your games on hold by another company is B.S. period. What if OnLive goes out of business? Goodbye to all those games you got. Sucks for you. I just think its a little ridiculous that you have to pay $5 just to access your games. If I wanted to replay an old game of mine (after stopping my OnLive sub), I would have to make damn well sure that I was going to play it enough to merit paying $5 to play it again. It would discourage me from playing my old games.
[/QUOTE]

Going out of business isn't the only problem. Not only do you have to worry about paying $5 a month after this year to play anything you purchased, but you also have to worry about the games that you paid for getting pulled. Games on Onlive are only guaranteed to be on the service for a certain number of years (3 or so I believe), so even if they are around 5-6 years from now, many of the games you paid for probably won't be.

I really like their setup, but for me to take them seriously, there needs to be an offline mode like steam where I can download the game, back them up, and play without their servers. I know that goes against what Onlive is, but it would really help them open up to a new market. The biggest problem for me is that even though I have a 15Mb/s connection, I still get kicked from their servers every 5min or so. Their service has been unusable for me.

[quote name='rareh']
If someone only has a really old PC,or has a console dislikes playing games that focus on gunplay with controllers and wants play these games at max, its probably worth it.[/QUOTE]

The thing is though is that the games on OnLive are not running anywhere near max settings. They are all chopped way down from what the normal max PC settings would be and do not look any better (and in most cases worse) than the console version.

At least when using the 360 pad, controller lag is not noticeable until you get to something that requires fine detail such as zoomed in aiming in Splinter Cell and drifting a corner at top sped on DIRT 2. Slower moving games like Lego HP you really cant tell.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']The thing is though is that the games on OnLive are not running anywhere near max settings. They are all chopped way down from what the normal max PC settings would be and do not look any better (and in most cases worse) than the console version.[/QUOTE]
To put it more simply, OnLive games look as if they're running on a 4-5 year old computer. My 3 year old computer (C2D @ 2.9GHz and an 8800GTS) is able to run on high the games that OnLive has running on low/medium.

OnLive is good for people that have laptops, or desktops with terrible built in graphics cards. A desktop with a graphics card built within the last 3-4 years will be able to blow OnLive away in terms of graphics and game performance.

I think the quality varies from game to game. Batman AA, brain challenge and maifia 2 looks great on onlive while fear 2, Just cause 2, defense grid, puzzle chronicles, even world of goo looks blurry or low res. Onlive is pretty new so maybe they'll fix that. I bought Brain Challenge just because I hate the way my games tab is empty and according to them I only use 6% of my brain :(

bread's done
Back