50% select Anime Box at Amazon only (dead at BB)

Personally I don't care about the little bit of image cut off on the side for those DBZ sets. However, when white in a character's eye for example bleeds into other areas you tend to notice it and it is bothersome.

Also, don't know if anyone has noticed but Amazon has Elfen Lied for the same price. Of course with 1-3 week shipping you might be dissuaded. Can anyone recommend this? Also looking at with hunter robin for $24 if anyone would care to put a word in on that.

My main complaint with the DBZ video is it seems to bounce around a little, so it's not completely steady the whole time even when focusing on single scene. But I will continue the buy the sets as they come out, they are the second best solution economically to own them.

and anything dbz is a must own anyway...simply because most of our childhoods were spent watching that show over and over...despite how many episodes it takes for them to actually get to the fighting

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Even still, who really cares about some of what you lose in the picture? For $20, you're a fool to not pick it up if you're a DBZ fan of some sort, you weeaboos complain way too much about losing a little bit of the picture that doesn't even matter. Taking a still like that may annoy you, but watching it, it really doesn't matter.[/quote]I'd still rather continue my quest of collecting all of the DVDs.
And I'm a huge DBZ fan, thats why I don't want the crappy chopped up picture.
Just look at that pic of Yajirobi, they cut off his eyes.
I want my DBZ its its full original unchopped glory.

It'sMagneto;4166552 said:
Also looking at with hunter robin for $24 if anyone would care to put a word in on that.

I loved it. The style and pacing reminds me much more of a US comic book than an anime.

Hmm.. I've been debating whether or not I should go for the Eva Platinum pack... I have the whole series now (spent about $70 a long while back trying to get them all), but they're the older dvds.. Is the quality worth it? I know it's just 28 bucks, but wtf am I going to do with the other copies of the show that I have? I don't think many would go for them...

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']I'd still rather continue my quest of collecting all of the DVDs.
And I'm a huge DBZ fan, thats why I don't want the crappy chopped up picture.
Just look at that pic of Yajirobi, they cut off his eyes.
I want my DBZ its its full original unchopped glory.[/QUOTE]
You know, it's not really as cut up you might think. When airing on tv, the original picture is cut like 10 percent on all the edges, making the pic look smaller than usual. Since we watch it only on TV, the viewer wouldn't really notice. All Funimation did was cut the top and the bottom parts that would normally be cut by the television to make it appear "widescreen."
Here's an explanation.

I read about this in Shonen Jump magazine...

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']I agree with you, they need to stop fucking with DBZ. I'm working on collecting all the individual DVDs. Although I know it'll cost a lot of money.
I actually got excited when I first heard they were going to be doing seasons, but then for some reason they thought they had to make it wide screen by cutting off the top & bottom of the screen. :wall:I don't know how any company could be so stupid. I also heard rumors that this was going to be the last time they released the DBZ episodes.[/quote]

WTF? I can't believe they would be so stupid as to do that. That's just as stupid as when movies were "formatted to fit our TV". Damn. Guess I won't be buying that then.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']You know, it's not really as cut up you might think. When airing on tv, the original picture is cut like 10 percent on all the edges, making the pic look smaller than usual. Since we watch it only on TV, the viewer wouldn't really notice. All Funimation did was cut the top and the bottom parts that would normally be cut by the television to make it appear "widescreen."
Here's an explanation.

I read about this in Shonen Jump magazine...[/QUOTE]

Eh? So okay we lose ten percent, so Funimation just cut off 10 percent, wouldn't that mean we still would be losing ten percent on top of what they cut off? Anyway is it really that cut up, yes, yes and yes. i tried hard to ignore it but for instance in season one where Nappa is towering over Gohan trying to intimidate him, his head was cut down to his eyes for christs sake! And you're also forgetting the "remaster" they did wasn't just to the framing, they over saturated everything, where once characters had lines showing detail now is just a blob of color. One guy smiled once and I couldn't even see the lines that were supposed to be his teeth, the white was too strong.

This thread has some good examples of the screwed up framing

http://www.n-philes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50566923

[quote name='Genki-JAM']Hmm.. I've been debating whether or not I should go for the Eva Platinum pack... I have the whole series now (spent about $70 a long while back trying to get them all), but they're the older dvds.. Is the quality worth it? I know it's just 28 bucks, but wtf am I going to do with the other copies of the show that I have? I don't think many would go for them...[/QUOTE]
If you own the first Eva DVDs that ADV put out, yes, it's worth the upgrade. The remaster makes a world of difference.

[quote name='Genki-JAM']Hmm.. I've been debating whether or not I should go for the Eva Platinum pack... I have the whole series now (spent about $70 a long while back trying to get them all), but they're the older dvds.. Is the quality worth it? I know it's just 28 bucks, but wtf am I going to do with the other copies of the show that I have? I don't think many would go for them...[/QUOTE]

Sell them for on ebay or give them away to a friend, i'm sure you will find someone to take them off your hands

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If you own the first Eva DVDs that ADV put out, yes, it's worth the upgrade. The remaster makes a world of difference.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, i've owned both old and new and i don't regret rebuying the series at all, that is how a remaster is supposed to be done.

Canceled the BB Evangelion order, got through Amazon for the free ship (and no backorder..)

Anyone on the fence on Elfen Lied, GET IT.

[quote name='Genki-JAM']Hmm.. I've been debating whether or not I should go for the Eva Platinum pack... I have the whole series now (spent about $70 a long while back trying to get them all), but they're the older dvds.. Is the quality worth it? I know it's just 28 bucks, but wtf am I going to do with the other copies of the show that I have? I don't think many would go for them...[/quote]
Well worth the upgrade. GET IT!

Ordered Noein and Elfen Lied from Amazon for just under $40. If I weren't saving money for my jobless summer finishing my thesis (and waiting for the next DDD sale, or any good sale, to continue picking up volumes of Witchblade), I'd pick up Eva and Witch Hunter Robin, as well.

These better be worth it! ;)

And Noein is down to $17.49 at BB, but backordered online. Nice if your local store has it, though.

Just wanted clarification, the EVA box set that is included in this sale is the one in the cardboard box, not the metal one right?

[quote name='MarkMan']Just wanted clarification, the EVA box set that is included in this sale is the one in the cardboard box, not the metal one right?[/QUOTE]
Right. It's the thinpak release.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Right. It's the thinpak release.[/quote]

Are the missing extras substantial? I love extras and I hate that ADV cuts them for their thinpaks.

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']My local best buy had the metal box EVA marked as the one on sale.
Is there any difference in the cardboard & metal?[/quote]
The metal box contains extras, while the thinpak doesn't.

O, ok, hopefully it is the metal one thats on sale, and not a mess up.
Because thats the only one my local BB has. :)

Any one know if the Amazon price for EVA is just a sale or wat?

[quote name='Genki-JAM']Hmm.. I've been debating whether or not I should go for the Eva Platinum pack... I have the whole series now (spent about $70 a long while back trying to get them all), but they're the older dvds.. Is the quality worth it? I know it's just 28 bucks, but wtf am I going to do with the other copies of the show that I have? I don't think many would go for them...[/quote]
Well worth the upgrade. GET IT!

Ordered Noein and Elfen Lied from Amazon for just under $40. If I weren't saving money for my jobless summer finishing my thesis (and waiting for the next DDD sale, or any good sale, to continue picking up volumes of Witchblade), I'd pick up Eva and Witch Hunter Robin, as well.

These better be worth it! ;)

And Noein is down to $17.49 at BB, but backordered online. Nice if your local store has it, though.

Just wanted clarification, the EVA box set that is included in this sale is the one in the cardboard box, not the metal one right?

[quote name='MarkMan']Just wanted clarification, the EVA box set that is included in this sale is the one in the cardboard box, not the metal one right?[/QUOTE]
Right. It's the thinpak release.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Right. It's the thinpak release.[/quote]

Are the missing extras substantial? I love extras and I hate that ADV cuts them for their thinpaks.

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']My local best buy had the metal box EVA marked as the one on sale.
Is there any difference in the cardboard & metal?[/quote]
The metal box contains extras, while the thinpak doesn't.

O, ok, hopefully it is the metal one thats on sale, and not a mess up.

Any one know if the Amazon price for EVA is just a sale or wat?

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']O, ok, hopefully it is the metal one thats on sale, and not a mess up.

Any one know if the Amazon price for EVA is just a sale or wat?[/quote]
The thinpak is the one on sale. The chances of getting the metal one for either that price or 50% off are pretty slim unless they have a sticker on it saying it's on sale. You'd have to find a stupid or nice manager to allow it since it wouldn't come up at the register.

well, I did in store pick up on Noein today. I had 5 bucks in reward zone and anime on dvd seemed to like it alot in the later volumes so it seems worth a shot. Too cheap to pass up really. The other ones i either have (Eva, robotech, elven lied, full metal) or don't care about. Kyo is still borderline with me. 30 seems a little much and although the concept seems fine i had watched dvd 1 quite a while ago and wasn't excited. So unless i change my mind, it looks like just Noein for me.

Can anyone please tell me if the Robotech Protoculute Collection includes everything that was in the seven Robotech Legacy box sets?

Picked up Evangelion yesterday and the plastic was slit open. Cashier gave me 10% off since it was opened, which was awesome.

You guys think Elfen Lied would be an anime you could watch more than once? I am sort of on the borderline for it...$16 is a steal for a complete boxset

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Picked up Evangelion yesterday and the plastic was slit open. Cashier gave me 10% off since it was opened, which was awesome.

You guys think Elfen Lied would be an anime you could watch more than once? I am sort of on the borderline for it...$16 is a steal for a complete boxset[/quote]

I could, but thats me. Its a bit over the top on blood at times, be warned.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Picked up Evangelion yesterday and the plastic was slit open. Cashier gave me 10% off since it was opened, which was awesome.

You guys think Elfen Lied would be an anime you could watch more than once? I am sort of on the borderline for it...$16 is a steal for a complete boxset[/quote]
It's an excellent show if you can get past the violence/blood.

You guys think Elfen Lied would be an anime you could watch more than once? I am sort of on the borderline for it...$16 is a steal for a complete boxset[/QUOTE]

Not really, blood and gore didn't bother me in the slighest but the story has a romance for the sake of having a romance and in this series more then any the romance makes no damn sense.

[quote name='ecwfan']Can anyone please tell me if the Robotech Protoculute Collection includes everything that was in the seven Robotech Legacy box sets?[/quote]

I actually just bought this last night as I always seem to catch a new release at the tail end of its run right when some other version is coming out but theres another one on sale and I don't know whats going on anymore. To answer your question, apparently it does. I read several review sites trying to find out if this was the "best" collection available and it seems to be. Here's a source saying the legacy features are included.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/robotechprotoculture.php

It was about 40 dollars in store with tax.

FYI all the bestbuys in my area (Area code 32257) just got in new shipments of all the animes on sale. So re-check your Best Buys (on their website) because this is the last day of the sale.

I picked up:

ELFEN LIED and NOEIN last Sunday. Then picked up Neon Genesis Evangelion and Robotech today (They didnt have them in stock on sunday)

[quote name='Blackwolf687']FYI all the bestbuys in my area (Area code 32257) just got in new shipments of all the animes on sale. So re-check your Best Buys (on their website) because this is the last day of the sale.[/quote]Thanks, I just picked up Robotech, it wasnt it stock all this past week when I looked. :)
Ill probably buy Eva from amazon next time I get some extra cash, hopefully that is their permanent price, and not just a sale.
I could buy it this weekend, but the tax man says otherwise.

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']Thanks, I just picked up Robotech, it wasnt it stock all this past week when I looked. :)
Ill probably buy Eva from amazon next time I get some extra cash, hopefully that is their permanent price, and not just a sale.
I could buy it this weekend, but the tax man says otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it's a permanent drop. Either BB clearing inventory because they have too many or this is a way to make way for another version that's going to take its place.

My guess is that it's the former; BB probably started overflowing with these titles and wanted to get rid of some through a big sale -- after all, it's not like anime takes up a huge spot on their floor.

Remembered to get my order in before the sale ended. Got Robotech , Full Metal Alchemist and Noien. It worked out pretty good too since I had $20 in reward zone cash to use anyway.

One of the BBs in my area got restock on Robotech but MAN, the boxes were torn/crushed... I think I'll just wait for one to come back in stock IN GOOD condition... (I got a raincheck for the pricepoint)...

I've been on the line for Evangelion all week, decided to finally pull the trigger on Amazon. Might as well grab it while it's cheap.

[quote name='MarkMan']One of the BBs in my area got restock on Robotech but MAN, the boxes were torn/crushed... I think I'll just wait for one to come back in stock IN GOOD condition... (I got a raincheck for the pricepoint)...[/quote]Mine wasn't in perfect condition but wasnt really bad either, just a few of the corners were kind of smushed. Not that big of a deal though.

Wow, I'm not that big of a fan of Evangelion (hell I like the romantic-comedy spinoffs more) but that price looks so tempting. Elfen Lied was great but I'm not sure I want to put money on it.

[quote name='eau']It's an excellent show if you can get past the violence/blood.[/quote]

If you can get past it?

Dude, the blood and violence is the best part of the show. The first ten minutes or so of the series is absolutely incredible.

bread's done
Back