500Gig PS3 Hard Drive...?

fuzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Sony claims you can upgrade the hard drive from a 20gig to a 60gig right? But if the hard drive is just a 2.5" what is stopping me from going to newegg and putting in a 250 or even a 500gig hard disk...?

[quote name='fuzz']Sony claims you can upgrade the hard drive from a 20gig to a 60gig right? But if the hard drive is just a 2.5" what is stopping me from going to newegg and putting in a 250 or even a 500gig hard disk...?[/quote]

Sony is stopping you...I guess. The better question is why didn't Sony claim you can upgrade the hdd from 20gig to a 250gig from newegg or even 500gig?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sony make the hard drive port to where you don't have to buy a Sony specific drive and can install any 2.5" drive you want? I'm pretty sure that I won't need more than 60 GB, but I thought that was an option if you wanted to do so.

[quote name='limelicker']Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sony make the hard drive port to where you don't have to buy a Sony specific drive and can install any 2.5" drive you want? I'm pretty sure that I won't need more than 60 GB, but I thought that was an option if you wanted to do so.[/QUOTE]
Yes, supposedly you can install any off the shelf hard drive. You don't have to buy a PS3 specific one.

Well... You could do the same thing with the PS2. Not every off the shelf drive would work, but a large percentage do. Those that don't work are mainly because the manufacturer didn't make them in the standard fashion. (Some power connectors were on the opposite side/upside down.)

However, there could be some kind of proprietary checks on disk size/addressing issues. Maybe they coded them to only address up to 60GB, in which case any 100x gb drive would look 60gb.

I'm sure that Sony can easily limit the maximum size of an HD internally so that no matter how big a HD you put in there, it would only recogize 60GB (or whatever they decided was ok) at most.

BTW, with perpendicular recording technology, all HD's should be getting cheaper.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm sure that Sony can easily limit the maximum size of an HD internally so that no matter how big a HD you put in there, it would only recogize 60GB (or whatever they decided was ok) at most.

BTW, with perpendicular recording technology, all HD's should be getting cheaper.[/quote]

I doubt they would intentionally limit it like that but for instance the original Xbox did have that problem. It had something to do with the file system or something like that. Anyway people got around it by doing multiple partitions. Of course that required a MOD chip and custom software so it may be possible that the PS3 won't recognize full HDD space without modification.

[quote name='dallow']I'm scared to imagine the cost of a 500GB 2.5" HDD.
Standard 3.5" drives are more affordable.[/quote]

Yeah, AFAIK the largest 2.5" hard drives available are 160GB. I have a feeling this is going to confuse a lot of people. I bet we'll see tons of people buying 3.5" HDDs and trying to put them in their PS3.

Not to mention that you could also buy a cheap external USB drive (up to 500GB and more) and plug it into one of the USB ports on the PS3.

nothing really, the physical size of the drive, I know w/ the ps2, maxtor drives always fit nicely inside the ps2 and I see they got a 400 or 500gb maxtor drive on sale... I was thinking the samething.. lol I don't want to gamble and end up with a drive I can't use/

bread's done
Back