6 Guitar Hero Games and the Debut of DJ Hero in '09

GodlyOne

CAGiversary!
With the official announcements that alongside Guitar Hero: Metallica with the upcoming Guitar Hero: Smash Hits and Guitar Hero: Modern Hits, Activision will be releasing Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero, Guitar Hero: Van Halen, and DJ Hero later this year.

Personally, I'm confused as to why this seems to be a wise business decision. It's like Activision is trying to make as much money as possible by releasing as many games as possible before people get sick of the music genre games; but by doing so they get people sick of these kinds of music games faster. Of course Harmonix is also releasing 3 Rock Band games this year but it's completely overshadowed by the slew of these "Hero" games.

So what are everyone's thoughts about the total of 10 music genre games hitting retail in '09? Yay or nay?

I say Yay, nothing wrong with picking and choosing what you want. Personally I'm getting Smash Hits, and Guitar Hero 5 when they hit sub $20. And DJ Hero I'm getting on release. The rest I don't care about, except maybe Lego Rock Band. I'd have to check out the tracklist, and see that one in action first. But if it can play DLC from the first 2 it might make up for it if the included songs aren't that good.

If releasing lots of music kills business, then the record industry would have died back in the 1920s.

I hope this ends horribly for Activision. I enjoy the occasional music game but they're just asking for a meltdown and if it means more room for regular games on shelves, I say bring it on.

I'm not getting DJ Hero, but I do at least want to take a look at that other similar game that's being offered, the name of which escapes me now...

Yeah, I think the real question is "are you burned out by these games yet?"

One day I see myself just waking up to a cluttered living room of plastic instruments, a quarter of which don't work properly, and being horribly regretful without being able to get rid of the instruments.

The more, the better. The demand for them will collapse, and I'll be able to get instruments and shee-it for cheap. :]

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...e-Innovations-Since-Original-Guitar-Hero.html

Guitar Hero re-invented music games. Activision Blizzard is promising music games will experience another such shift with the combination of DJ Hero and currently secret innovations to the Guitar Hero franchise.

Activision Blizzard president and CEO of publishing Mike Griffith made this promise during the company's earnings call today.

"This year our music slate will offer the widest variety of genres, artists and innovation to the entertainment category since the initial launch," boasted Griffith. "It will continue to change how people experience music by strengthening the relationship between music and video games."

Hints at where this innovation may lie were outlined in this morning's press released about Guitar Hero 5 (think of it as Guitar Hero: World Tour 2), Band Hero and DJ Hero. The release mentioned Guitar Hero 5 will include "an unprecedented level of control over the way they play the game with the ability to drop in and out of songs and change band members, instruments and difficulty levels on the fly."

We've all been faced with the dilemma where we've picked a difficulty level in Rock Band or Guitar Hero that was either too easy or too hard, forcing you to yawn in boredom or silently grumble as the rest of the band picks up the slack. In Guitar Hero 5, however, that shouldn't be an issue, as Activision Blizzard seems to be promising the ability to swap difficulties while you're still playing a song.
Who will really have to switch to different instruments or change band members during a song? I recall being able to change difficulty mid-song in GH Metallica, though they may be refering to not having to start over and the note track just readjusting itself.

The more the merrier. I personally know I won't be shelling out more than $20 on each game, so I'm good. If one doesn't pertain to me, then I'll skip it, not bitch about it. If one catches my eye, I'll wait until a good price and probably pick it up if occasion calls for it.
I'd rather them do a game once a year and just have more sons as DLC, but it's never going to be like that.

bread's done
Back