60 gb ps3 for 259.95 + shipping at refurbdepot

i dont know, i wouldnt buy a refurb specially a 60gb. i want it for how much its worth now, even though i own 1.

[quote name='Justme8800']Unless you're feeling lucky, I would avoid this place.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/refurbdepot

Too bad, I'm in the market for a 60GB PS3, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kind of sounds like an epic loss... Besides, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were just later models with the larger hds ripped out and a 60gb thrown in there, thus the "refurb" part.

Sorry...But them listing it as worth a $1000 doesn't exactly scream "quality".

I just bought a 20GB for $220 on EBay...Don't regret it yet.

I'll live without the WIFI.

[quote name='wakarukaya']Er, not to threadcrap, but why not just get this?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244903

New ps3 slim and not a refurb. The only drawback i see is waiting for cash back.[/QUOTE]

New PS3s are not backwards compatible and won't play PS2/1 games...

The 20 and 60GB models are the optimum models for BC playability and from what I've been told "pretty-much" have a PS2 on the inside as well. The 80GB MGS model is also BC, but is software-emulation based...It won't play near the amount of older games that the older models can.

But yeah...That's what all of the fuss is about. It's definitely worth-while finding the older models if you're looking to ditch your PS2 and/or dust off your old games.

wow im pretty jealous. 220? how much was shipping? or is that shipped? ive given up on trying to get on on craigslist. i talked a guy into less than 250 for a 60gb model, but he stopped responding to my e-mails when i asked for the model number/if it was hardware or software BC. lol

[quote name='thehoweller']New PS3s are not backwards compatible and won't play PS2/1 games...

The 20 and 60GB models are the optimum models for BC playability and from what I've been told "pretty-much" have a PS2 on the inside as well. The 80GB MGS model is also BC, but is software-emulation based...It won't play near the amount of older games that the older models can.

But yeah...That's what all of the fuss is about. It's definitely worth-while finding the older models if you're looking to ditch your PS2 and/or dust off your old games.[/QUOTE]

All PS3s play PS1 games. The BC 80GB has a PS2 GPU but not the CPU, later model PS3s don't play PS2 games at all as they have neither and Sony has yet to come up with a pure software solution for the graphics chip.

The big problem with the 60GB is that it tends to develop cooling issues later in life that can be a huge problem. At around 20 months (almost exactly at the release of firmware 3.00...) my 60GB's fans started running at full speed (that's at least 5 or 6 audible steps if you're playing along at home) all the time and even after cleaning it out and redoing the thermal paste 3 times it's still louder than it should be, though at least it's not giving me PTSD from just having it on.

[quote name='Nico0020']wow im pretty jealous. 220? how much was shipping? or is that shipped? ive given up on trying to get on on craigslist. i talked a guy into less than 250 for a 60gb model, but he stopped responding to my e-mails when i asked for the model number/if it was hardware or software BC. lol[/QUOTE]

I used bing.com's cashback. Before the $23 I got from it...It was $229 and $15 to ship. I lucked out too...Since the guy lives 20 miles from me. I should have went and picked it up when I drove to college yesterday, but I forgot.

Regardless, he claims to be the original owner and has only used it for Blu-Ray, since he purchased at release.

So yeah...If he's not lying, I "really" lucked out.

[quote name='hpv']All PS3s play PS1 games. The BC 80GB has a PS2 GPU but not the CPU, later model PS3s don't play PS2 games at all as they have neither and Sony has yet to come up with a pure software solution for the graphics chip.
The big problem with the 60GB is that it tends to develop cooling issues later in life that can be a huge problem. At around 20 months (almost exactly at the release of firmware 3.00...) my 60GB's fans started running at full speed (that's at least 5 or 6 audible steps if you're playing along at home) all the time and even after cleaning it out and redoing the thermal paste 3 times it's still louder than it should be, though at least it's not giving me PTSD from just having it on.[/QUOTE]

Nice to know now :)

Question though. Is it true that Sony cheaped out on the GPU for the PS3? I read that they did, and have always used that argument with my Sony-fan-boy friend...I really hate when he claims that the PS3 is superior to M$'s shitty console when I know that they both have their problems.

I have bought form them before (but it was like 4 years ago) items worked fine, but one had some scuffs (enough it should have been B stock IMHO). As for how good they are today, no idea.

As for BW compatibility and SONY. Its all MONEY as it alwasy has been. THERE is a Market to resell old games in the PSN (and LIVE for MS). Sony killed 2 birds with one stone (so to speak), removed the ability to play PS2 games saved a few bucks, and also added a few as you have to buy the game (PSN if its avail) again to play it. Win Win for SONY, cant hardly blame um for it but it does suck for us end users.

I have a refurb. Had it for a while now and it works great! Replaced the 60GB HDD with a 320. Love it! I never had a PS so I have all these PS2 games to explore. It's awesome.

[quote name='hpv']All PS3s play PS1 games. The BC 80GB has a PS2 GPU but not the CPU, later model PS3s don't play PS2 games at all as they have neither and Sony has yet to come up with a pure software solution for the graphics chip.

The big problem with the 60GB is that it tends to develop cooling issues later in life that can be a huge problem. At around 20 months (almost exactly at the release of firmware 3.00...) my 60GB's fans started running at full speed (that's at least 5 or 6 audible steps if you're playing along at home) all the time and even after cleaning it out and redoing the thermal paste 3 times it's still louder than it should be, though at least it's not giving me PTSD from just having it on.[/QUOTE]

huh, i was wondering why my 60gb is so loud. oh well it doesnt really bother me, should it?

i bought my 60gb on ebay back when BCB was live cashback and it was 35% for paypal+ebay. i am pretty sure it was a refurb unit but i dont care. it looks perfect and runs great.

but yeah, its loud, so theres no way to fix that? is it bad for the system?

[quote name='postulio']huh, i was wondering why my 60gb is so loud. oh well it doesnt really bother me, should it?[/QUOTE]

Like many launch consoles, especially from Sony, the 60GB/20GB consoles seem to have the highest rate of "yellow-lighting," or general hardware failure (like the 360's red light). But I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's no where near the failure rate of older 360 units.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Like many launch consoles, especially from Sony, the 60GB/20GB consoles seem to have the highest rate of "yellow-lighting," or general hardware failure (like the 360's red light). But I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's no where near the failure rate of older 360 units.[/QUOTE]

I've owned a 60GB Fully BC PS3 since launch. To this day its never had any problems. I've left it on for hours at a time and it's still working just as good as when I purchased it in 2006.

bread's done
Back