60% off digital download of DARKSTAR (new FMV adventure game)

Legolas813

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)

DRM: Doesn't appear to be, but I can't tell for sure. No indication during installation or when running the game.
Size of download: 14 GB !!!
Release date: November 2010
Price: $11.98 (after discount)

Reviews: http://diehardgamefan.com/2010/11/18/review-darkstar-the-interactive-movie-captains-box-pc/
http://www.gameboomers.com/reviews/Dd/Darkstar/Darkstar.htm

This is NOT the same game as Darkstar One. This is an FMV adventure game. It has not yet been released on Steam.

The long-awaited space epic Directed and Produced by J. Allen Williams is NOW finally available on your PC. A tale of murder and deception with nothing less than the fate of humanity at stake, DARKSTAR is a race against the clock in a quest to turn back time itself.

Experienced through exploration & discovery, your journey begins on a wrecked starship light years from earth—a world that centuries ago has been annihilated. You are Captain John O’Neil (Clive Robertson) stranded on the starship Westwick with no memory of what has transpired, or even of who you are. Nothing is as it seems, and despite the icy, cold silence...you are not alone.

DARKSTAR provides hours of entertainment in both interactive adventure and cinema, and features the entire original cast of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and music by Progressive Sound and MetalWorx. This is also the final performance of the late, great Peter Graves. With more footage than any “game” ever produced (over 13 hours), DARKSTAR is a true interactive animated world with live-action actors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is. . . odd. At first, I thought it was a gag of some sort, but the link is real. I'm somewhat surprised anyone would make something like this in 2010. The movie looks like something the MST crew would have riffed on. I'm not quite sure what to think about this.

If this is any good, and depending on the drm being used I could see myself buying this. If this was on Steam it would pretty much be a sure buy.

[quote name='warreni']I'm somewhat surprised anyone would make something like this in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, the game has been in development for over 10 years.

I have downloaded and installed the game (took 5 hours to download). I didn't see anything about DRM during the installation. It doesn't appear that there is any, but is there anyway I can check this on my computer?

Hm. I just bought it but my download is only about 640 MB.

EDIT: Wait, turns out it's downloading in 22 installments of 640 MB. That's a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Legolas813']Believe it or not, the game has been in development for over 10 years.[/QUOTE]

I recommend looking up the history of this game...it is pretty wild it actually made it out.

Can anyone provide some gameplay impressions of Darkstar? I remember reading about it 10 years ago, and assumed it was just dead in the water.

[quote name='mkelehan']Can anyone provide some gameplay impressions of Darkstar? I remember reading about it 10 years ago, and assumed it was just dead in the water.[/QUOTE]

Frank Cifaldi bashed it on the 1up Podcast and he plays all sorts of old retro games. If this would be up any gamer's alley, it would be up his.

In a nutshell: The controls are awful, he couldn't get far at all without a guide, and he managed to break the game when he used the guide to enter a room before he was supposed to have known the door code.

That said: I'm still intrigued. I just want to see the videos of the MST3K guys.

I've been keeping track of this game for a while, just because of how bizarre it is. Everything about it is like this fucking mid-90s time capsule. The graphics, the acting, the filming, the costumes and styling, the video editing and effects, the music. This isn't a surprise, of course, since the game has been in development about that long, and nothing about the production seems to have been changed or updated to catch up with the last 10 years worth of technological developments. I have to imagine the editing was done on mid-90s era video editing software, like an Amiga with a Video Toaster or something.

I'd really like to meet J. Allen Williams and try to understand his insanity, because this game is obviously the work of a psychopath. It's almost hard to believe it's not a joke.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I've been keeping track of this game for a while, just because of how bizarre it is. Everything about it is like this fucking mid-90s time capsule. The graphics, the acting, the filming, the costumes and styling, the video editing and effects, the music. This isn't a surprise, of course, since the game has been in development about that long, and nothing about the production seems to have been changed or updated to catch up with the last 10 years worth of technological developments. I have to imagine the editing was done on mid-90s era video editing software, like an Amiga with a Video Toaster or something.

I'd really like to meet J. Allen Williams and try to understand his insanity, because this game is obviously the work of a psychopath. It's almost hard to believe it's not a joke.[/QUOTE]

So will this run on Windows 3.1?

In for 12

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I'd really like to meet J. Allen Williams and try to understand his insanity, because this game is obviously the work of a psychopath. It's almost hard to believe it's not a joke.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just that it isn't really his day job.

[quote name='Vegan']I think it's just that it isn't really his day job.[/QUOTE]

If you're aware what it is, I'd like to know. This game wasn't exactly a spare-time hobby project or anything.

According to Wikipedia:

Williams is most known for having independently created the computer game Darkstar: The Interactive Movie over the course of a decade. In an interview with Tom Chick at Fidget.com, Williams described his role in the massive production saying:

“And then right at 2000, I decided I was going to do something and I began production. And it just got bigger and bigger and bigger to the point that it kind of did itself. It kind of went out of control. I just wrote the thing and because I'm just one guy doing most of this - I mean, I've probably involved a hundred people to help me, doing sound and camera and all different things, but I bring them in as contract type stuff. But I'm kind of hands-on with every single thing, so that's the bottleneck. One guy being OCD and having to keep control over the whole thing.[3] ”

In addition to his other credits, Williams designed various costumes and props for Darkstar. He is also one of the three credited composers of the soundtrack, alongside Jimmy Pitts and Bill Bruce.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Williams#cite_note-2

bread's done
Back