60gb BC PS3 just died. YLOD

Newl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
(Damn you Heavy Rain. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297337 )

Playing HR today, 30 minutes into it, there's a part where you look out the window, game/system just shuts off(freezes or something) and now won't boot back on. a green light, a yellow light, red bleeping lights etc.

I'm new to this, I've only had 360s die on me...

What are my options?
What should I do?
Backwards compatible models fetch more on ebay right?
Try to fix myself? I'm sure the warranty is long gone by now...
Pay sony to fix?

Manufacture date March 2007.
60 gb harddrive still in it. Disc stuck inside.

Help a nooby out! (I didn't think it'd ever die) :cry:

I would send it into Sony.
Somebody said something like 120.00 to fix.
60GB B/C is worth that for sure.
Good Luck

Mine died last year. Everything I read says that any repair on those is most likely temporary, so I decided to just buy a slim & use my ps2 to play ps2 games. The only reason I would have considered getting it repaired is for the saves, but luckily I had just recently backed those up so I didn't lose anything. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky, so he sent his to be repaired (not to Sony, to this place: www.gophermods.com)

Send it to sony and get a refurbished system (i.e. newer slim model). You can have the option of getting the same system fixed by sony but even if it gets fixed properly their is a chance it might YLOD again. Also, if I'm not mistaken the refurbished system has a longer warranty then the repaired system.

These threads always worry me. I have a 60 giger from 06 or 07 (somewhere in that time period) and it's running strong. It just makes me wonder when it's going to die. Those old 90 mm processors just run too freaking hot.

My 60gb died a couple months ago. I tried the self-repair route by re-setting the heatsink and a new fan (new Arctic Silver, too) but no luck. Ended up getting a new slim. I feel for you, man. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Yeah, I hate reading these threads. I own a 320 GB slim model also and everytime I read a thread like this I play that more and my 60 GB less because I'm a scared idiot. It's getting to the point where my 60GB is basically a PS2 because I only want to play those games on it to keep the runtime down.

And the HD collections are cool, but unless they do a Mister Mosquito HD, I still need my BC ;)

Welcome to the club. My 60GB B/C model died last year and had replaced it with a Slim model. Before I replaced it, I called Sony and they wanted $1xx to repair it and I figured if I might as well put that much into a new system then get it fixed.

Mine still works but I rarely use it for games, mainly use it for Netflix and the occasional Blu-ray. Last time I used it was to play Uncharted 2, although I still haven't opened Heavy Rain.

I'm pretty bummed out too guys ;) was nice being part of a dieing breed. (exclusive BC ps3 club)

@nddave $160? that's like msrp though isnt it? not very cag of me... (jokes)
@Frankski/Sk/JoshTX sorry to worry you dudes, lol, I thought mine would last well into ps4. good luck, old age is a bitch.
@argyle those prices don't look too bad, $70+shipping for a repair? Will look into the details. When did your friend get it fixed? how long it last? still working?
@chrisnsally thanks bud
@trent82 Yeah, that may be true. I was looking at recent completed listings on eBay and looks like ylod 60gb is only going for around $80-100 shipped (man prices are all over the place :whistle2:k)
@TheRock88 thanks, I'm figuring the same way, want to try to just get a slim cheap, sell this off eBay.
@jazzman I will pray for you lol. I remember reading something about HR causing ylods, don't know if it's rumor or whatnot, didn't really look into it at the time... maybe try google before slipping it in?

I havn't made decision yet, just weighing options. Not really in my budget to just go out and buy replacement/repair out of the blue like this.

[quote name='Layzie0001']this happened to me as well. twice.

i used this company to get it fixed.

http://www.gophermods.com/

they even fixed it a second time when it was out of warranty. its a great company. just so you know, once it YLOD, it will continue to happen again and again.[/QUOTE]
thanks, how long was the interval before it ylod again? by "second time" you mean they did it for free?

yeah they fixed it for free the second time... and it was approximately 1 year later. i took really good care of it.

They suggested having it run no longer than 2 hours at a time for the first 200 hours. then u can use it as is. it really varies on how you treat it. i never kept mine on for more than 2 hours at a time.

although.. after the 2nd time it YLOD, i decided to upgrade to a slim. i found a used one off craigslist for about $130. thats the first place i would check. then you can sell off the phat one and you can definitely find a slim for under $180.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend got his fixed earlier this year, so yeah it's still working as of now. He had good things to say about that company & from what I understand they had a quick turn-around time, so if you do plan on getting yours fixed it's probably a better option than Sony just based on price.

hey man, that sucks, but here's a link to the company i used when a friend of mine gave me his YLOD PS3 60gb and he just went a bought a slim

http://www.videogame911.com/ they are located out here in nj

they charged me around $120 to repair it, not too bad and i put this extra ps3 in the bedroom to watch blu-rays and netflix, works like a charm. got it fixed in january and it's still running strong

Last I heard, Sony was supposedly wanting $150-175 to fix a BC PS3.:whistle2:# With Sony's repairs you get a 90 day warranty, but I believe that warranty may only cover the same issue, so if it were to get another unrelated issue you might be SOL.

I have a 60gb PS3 I bought from a local guy who was selling it to the shop right by me. They only wanted to give him $50 for it, I countered with $60. Although it's been in a box in my closet since about a month after I bought it. I only powered it on long enough to test it out by reformatting the HDD and playing a few PS2 games on it. Ever since then I've been trying to sell it since I bought a clearance PS2 from Target for $50, so I have no need for the BC from this PS3.:cry:

Are there any computer repair places that will fix consoles around you? They are usually much cheaper than Sony and some provide better warranties. Plus it's always nice to help out local businesses :)

My 80gb MGS4 PS3 died earlier this year and against the advice from a friend, I tried the reflow. I got the PS3 working and played it for 2 months. I then sold it on eBay for $250 bucks BIN and bought a new one.

With the prices of new slims going down/Gift card offers going up, I would not pay Sony just to get a refurbed slim back. I would try the reflow, which is a very inexpensive fix. If you need advice on what method I used, PM me. Whether you get it fixed or not, you should be able to sell it on eBay/craigslist as an as-is or trade it in to GS for less if you get it working. Then use that money towards a new slim. It just doesn't seem worth it to go the Sony route.

bread's done
Back