60gb ps3

burz88

CAGiversary!
Hi guys. Been an xbox owner forever, and been wanting to pick up a cheap PS3. Talked to a guy on craigslist who's offering a 60GB first gen PS3 with backwards compatibility. He was asking $100 but I talked him into $80.

He said he will only meet up at a public location, which is understandable, but then I don't see how I could test the PS3. This seems like a good price to me. What do you guys think..$80 gamble on a rather old PS3, or wait for black friday and potentially get a ~$200 brand new one?

edit: also he said he doesn't have any controllers or games to include but that he updated the hard drive to 160 GB. I dont know if that means he opened the PS3 or what, not sure if thats significant.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're better off getting a new one. If it isn't broken already, it'll catch the YLOD soon and at that point, it'll be $130+tax to get a refurb fatty or $100+tax to get a refurb slim. Add in a controller at $35 and you're really only saving $50 at most with no warranty.

Thanks, thats pretty much what I was worried about. I am unsure if I really want to spend $200 plus on a PS3 because the main series im interested in playing is Uncharted.

[quote name='burz88']Hi guys. Been an xbox owner forever, and been wanting to pick up a cheap PS3. Talked to a guy on craigslist who's offering a 60GB first gen PS3 with backwards compatibility. He was asking $100 but I talked him into $80.

He said he will only meet up at a public location, which is understandable, but then I don't see how I could test the PS3. This seems like a good price to me. What do you guys think..$80 gamble on a rather old PS3, or wait for black friday and potentially get a ~$200 brand new one?

edit: also he said he doesn't have any controllers or games to include but that he updated the hard drive to 160 GB. I dont know if that means he opened the PS3 or what, not sure if thats significant.[/QUOTE]
Depends on why your buying if just for cheap you can find better deals for the reasons the other poster mentioned. if for full not software backwards compatibility, then it's a bargain as they go for more than double that from a reputable dealer. To test meet at a Starbucks or like place with access to outlets and figure out a portable tv and cords if needed. Better yet if you have a place that repairs game consoles that could be the public place and would have all you need to check it out.

[quote name='sageridder']Depends on why your buying if just for cheap you can find better deals for the reasons the other poster mentioned. if for full not software backwards compatibility, then it's a bargain as they go for more than double that from a reputable dealer. To test meet at a Starbucks or like place with access to outlets and figure out a portable tv and cords if needed. Better yet if you have a place that repairs game consoles that could be the public place and would have all you need to check it out.[/QUOTE]
Here's a different idea:

The OP should meet the owner of the system at a Gamestop and tell them to make it seem like they're going to trade it in. Then the OP and owner can stand there and watch them test it . So long as it loads a discs and starts playing it, then the OP should be fine.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Here's a different idea:

The OP should meet the owner of the system at a Gamestop and tell them to make it seem like they're going to trade it in. Then the OP and owner can stand there and watch them test it . So long as it loads a discs and starts playing it, then the OP should be fine.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea, I'm supposed to set-up something with the guy tomorrow. I'll tell him I want to do something like this, see how it goes. Thanks guys.

Also keep in mind that if your 60GB should ever get the YLOD, you can get it re-balled, and after that it *should* last forever. It's cheaper than getting a refurb from Sony, and you get to keep your original console and all your data.

[quote name='lolwut?']Also keep in mind that if your 60GB should ever get the YLOD, you can get it re-balled, and after that it *should* last forever. It's cheaper than getting a refurb from Sony, and you get to keep your original console and all your data.[/QUOTE]

Endless Electronics has done many successful reballs, you should consider them if you ever need that service...

bread's done
Back