60GB RRoD or other problems?

Needles-Kane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
150 (100%)
Hi, got a 60gb 360 on BF from Target with the $60 gift card deal and a family member opened a Target card for $24 off (yeah they subtracted the giftcard). It was manufactured on Sept. 4th 2008 but I am still worried about the awful reliability this system has- so many forums have a stickied thread soley for defects!

I was also thinking of returning it (which would feel stupid after opening the Target card although credit ratings etc is a non-factor) and getting a 40gb PS3 since they are only $300. That is such a bargain but I am so disgusted that PS2 BC has been discontinued. I have a sealed 60GB PS3 and a MGS4 80GB hardly played but can't stand the thought of opening/using them because of them being irreplaceable. But then again, the only next gen games I am really hyped to play are Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead (don't think I can handle screwing around upgrading my PC).

Anyways, it seems like 360s are almost guaranteed to break down in some way but I am wondering if there have been any problems with these 60gbs. I guess maybe the 60s haven't been around long enough for the problems to arise. I haven't opened it yet and am not sure what to do, the Jasper chip is so close yet so far away. :drool: Any input would be appreciated!

Don't seem to really hear stories of new 360s breaking down (from RRoD atleast). Even if it does you just order up a coffin and a week and a half later you'll have a working xbox.

Keep it imo.

Sweet Jesus Christ. Open the fucking box and play a game would you! Wouldn't this discussion been better before you got up at 5am and opened a Target Credit Card in your name? You buy systems but then don't play them.......real genius move there. Do you buy alot of things and then look at them while they collect dust? If so, this site might not be the best place for you. This is Cheap Ass Gamer. With the emphasis on gamer. We play games here.

The worst part is that you didn't even pay cash for this system. So you're incurring interest to have a huge paper weight? Good god man, just play a game and be happy.

[quote name='depascal22']Sweet Jesus Christ. Open the fucking box and play a game would you! Wouldn't this discussion been better before you got up at 5am and opened a Target Credit Card in your name? You buy systems but then don't play them.......real genius move there. Do you buy alot of things and then look at them while they collect dust? If so, this site might not be the best place for you. This is Cheap Ass Gamer. With the emphasis on gamer. We play games here.

The worst part is that you didn't even pay cash for this system. So you're incurring interest to have a huge paper weight? Good god man, just play a game and be happy.[/QUOTE]

wow, many people on this site collect games as well as systems, so take a freaking chill pill. that sealed 60gb ps3 and the sealed mgs 4 80gb bundle will sell for a good amount of money if he ever decides to sell them and maybe there hasn't been too many games he wanted to play on it yet. if you don't like how he does things, why not just ignore the thread or the user?

anyways op, i would suggest looking at which exclusives you prefer to play and factor in if you want to pay to play online (live) or have free online with little to no talking with the ps3 or even if you will use online. personally i prefer the 360's online for the most part, i mute anyone who annoys me and i try to stick in big groups of friends so that i don't get stuck with annoying people on my team. anyways, if the only 2 games you were really looking at are dead rising and left 4 dead that are exclusive, than i would suggest taking it back since i have seen a ton of zombie/infected types of games about to be released in the next year or 2, though i am not sure how many are 360 exclusive, i doubt many of them are.

edit: also, i haven't heard anything about the 60gb's having issues, but give it a little longer and i am sure they will pop up. i hadn't heard about many problems with the elite's and i ended up sending mine to MS in less than a year. at least my first 360 lasted 11 months, my second lasted about 9-10 months, and then i bought my elite which lasted about 9 months.

Why would you buy a 360 if you are still worried about reliability? It most likely will never be reliable, ever. Enjoy it for what it is, the red light errors are covered by warranty.

I agree...

You bought a 360 with the gift card deal then open up a target card to save some money NOW you are worried about how unreliable the system might be and thinking of getting a PS triple?!?! Hate to say it, but the triple does have it's own share of break down problems plus from what I hear it's a LOT louder than a 360. Sony support is spotty at best, but at least MS is *trying* to fix the problem. You should have checked into the manufacturing date and voltage on the system via the open tab on the box to check out to see if you got a Jasper model. There is no promises that it will never have a RRoD.. The thing you truly have to worry about is if the 60 gb hard drive will crash, which is rare...but still possible. Then all your saves are gone.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Why would you buy a 360 if you are still worried about reliability? It most likely will never be reliable, ever. Enjoy it for what it is, the red light errors are covered by warranty.[/QUOTE]

sadly that is only the 3 red light errors that are covered for the 3 years. anything else is just one year and 2 of my systems have had issues in just under that time. on my first system it froze constantly and on my 3rd which i just got back, i had an e74 error i believe which from what i read is an ethernet port problem. i will be extending my warranty soon since it ends in feb. for my one year, so he has every right to at least ask on this one.

like i said though, OP, if oyou are worried about reliability, just factor in if most of the games you will be playing will be on both systems and if you plan on paying to play online.

[quote name='depascal22']Sweet Jesus Christ. Open the fucking box and play a game would you! Wouldn't this discussion been better before you got up at 5am and opened a Target Credit Card in your name? You buy systems but then don't play them.......real genius move there. Do you buy alot of things and then look at them while they collect dust? If so, this site might not be the best place for you. This is Cheap Ass Gamer. With the emphasis on gamer. We play games here.

The worst part is that you didn't even pay cash for this system. So you're incurring interest to have a huge paper weight? Good god man, just play a game and be happy.[/quote]

Nice flip out. Here I'll explain it a little more in depth and restate things since you aren't reading properly. A family member (as stated in the first post) was supposed to go SEE if they had any 360s left at Target but when I got home from work, there it was sitting on the table paid for with a new Target card. This is why I feel guilty returning it. I wasn't sure about getting a 360 because of the reliability, I just wanted to know if the system was there as an option. I was actually hoping it wouldn't be there so that would make the decision for me.

Also, money is not an issue for every member of my family- house/cars are paid %100 and any bill we get is paid %100 as soon as we get it, thanks for your concern though. Even though we have money, we have always been careful with it and never spend it foolishly which is another reason why I am reluctant to keep this since I already have a opened 80gb PS3 (which I think has a weak library compared to 360 especially after removing the PS2 library).

There are 2 games I want, Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead but I feel that is self indulgent buying an extremely unreliable system for 2 games.

Yeah, that move of not opening my 60gb with a extended warranty until October 2010 was genius, thanks- it is worth over a grand and I will be selling it. I'm hoping the MGS4 80gb will go up in value too. I do very much agree with your last sentence though, I am trying to work on that.

Thanks to the other poster for point out that many CAGs have a large backlog of sealed items they haven't played yet!

Since you and your family seem so well off from what youve said, and you have a two ps3's already and im guessing a few other of the last generations consoles, why dont you give away this 360 to a child who would have never had one for christmas? You wouldnt be taking it back and you also wouldnt be a sploiled shit with everything you wanted.

Not to freak you out, but I bought a 60 gig 360 from Target on BF and it had a manu date of mid Sept. It RRODed on me the first night I had it. I wasn't even playing any games - I just left it on while it was installing a game to the HD and I went to bed. The next morning, probably 20 hours after I bought it, I had the rings.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I agree...

You bought a 360 with the gift card deal then open up a target card to save some money NOW you are worried about how unreliable the system might be and thinking of getting a PS triple?!?! Hate to say it, but the triple does have it's own share of break down problems plus from what I hear it's a LOT louder than a 360. Sony support is spotty at best, but at least MS is *trying* to fix the problem. You should have checked into the manufacturing date and voltage on the system via the open tab on the box to check out to see if you got a Jasper model. There is no promises that it will never have a RRoD.. The thing you truly have to worry about is if the 60 gb hard drive will crash, which is rare...but still possible. Then all your saves are gone.[/QUOTE]
Whoa there a second... The Ps3 is very reliable. And it's whisper quiet compared to a 360. I dint know who you're getting your info from but they're totally bullshitting you.

Sorry. I get drunk and cranky sometimes. You do have to admit this topic is a little ridiculous though. If it was already paid for by someone else, why not just enjoy the gift and play the games you like? Also, if you didn't want the system, why did you send anyone out into Black Friday crowds just to check for you. From reading some of the other replies, I'm not the only one that feels this way. I just expressed it with a little more vitriol.

Also, the market for systems with hard drives in them might not be all that reliable. I wouldn't take a chance on buying a PS3 from some random dude in a couple years even if it was a "super rare" Metal Gear Solid bundle. You do know that they're still selling the system at reputable sites right now and the rarity was way over-exaggerated by Konami, right?

Also, ITDEFX, you're completely wrong about the PS3. I have it sitting right next to my 360 and it doesn't make half as much noise as the 360. I'd love to get a decibel meter to illustrate the difference.

EDIT -- Collecting software and hardware are two completely different issues. For the most part, games work even after being sealed for a long time. I don't know many examples of people leaving a piece of hardware in a closet for a decade and then taking it out and just expecting it to work. I went home this summer and dug out my old Genesis. One of the controllers stopped working and the system stopped loading a couple games or would freeze in the middle of others. What if I just boxed it up, put an official seal on it and sold it as brand new?

Many pieces of hardware are faulty when they leave the factory. How are you supposed to know if yours works or not? I've bought old consoles but the seller has always demonstrated the hardware to me beforehand. I would never buy a console on someone's word. EVER.

smh. you opened a credit card for $20 off and then decided to worry about RRoD?

Yeah, just go buy a PS3. The home beta is awesome and Sony really cleaned up in NPD this month.

[quote name='torifile']Whoa there a second... The Ps3 is very reliable. And it's whisper quiet compared to a 360. I dint know who you're getting your info from but they're totally bullshitting you.[/quote]

Unless all the bundle packs I have seen are actual revision models, all the videos I have seen you can hear the triple extremely loud compared to a 360.

The op doesn't deserve to have a 360, take it back and enjoy all 2 good exclusives on the PS3.

OP, my 360 was made in August of 2005 and has never broken.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Unless all the bundle packs I have seen are actual revision models, all the videos I have seen you can hear the triple extremely loud compared to a 360.[/QUOTE]
You're basing your assessment on some YouTube video where the PS3 seems loud? That's just laughable. Anyone who's ever had both a 360 and PS3 has said that the PS3 is quieter. (And that's not just second-hand knowledge - I've got both myself.)

[quote name='torifile']You're basing your assessment on some YouTube video where the PS3 seems loud? That's just laughable. Anyone who's ever had both a 360 and PS3 has said that the PS3 is quieter. (And that's not just second-hand knowledge - I've got both myself.)[/quote]

I completely agree. I have both and the PS3 is almost whisper quiet. The 360 on the other hand sounds like a fucking rocket launch depending on the game.

[quote name='torifile']You're basing your assessment on some YouTube video where the PS3 seems loud? That's just laughable. Anyone who's ever had both a 360 and PS3 has said that the PS3 is quieter. (And that's not just second-hand knowledge - I've got both myself.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mtxbass1']I completely agree. I have both and the PS3 is almost whisper quiet. The 360 on the other hand sounds like a fucking rocket launch depending on the game.[/QUOTE]

This and This

I have both, i've actually had my ps3 on for a few hours and not even realized it it until I saw the light. The 360 though....... thing is trying to compete with plane engines or something.
As for the OP, return it. Two games does not justify a system purchase at all, you need at least 5-10 for that. Just open the ps3 you already have, a few sealed games lying around from other members doesn't equal two damn consoles. Your reasoning is they are irreplaceable........ that means squat if you never did anything with them to begin with, unless you want to tell the grandkids yep I have me a sealed 60 gb ps3! At which point they laugh and go back to the ps5.

bread's done
Back