60Hz vs. 120Hz

Cyborger

CAGiversary!
I'm planning on purchasing an HDTV soon and I just wanted to know, is there really a difference between 60Hz and 120Hz? So far the only info I've gathered is that 120Hz reduces blur during fast moving sports programs. I'm not big on sports so that doesn't really matter. I'll mainly be using the TV to play my 360. So which should I go for?

Actually returned my 120Hz Samsung yesterday. I returned my 120Hz panel, as have others who have the same feeling as I do, because it almost moves too fast (fast forward motion) when it really doesn't need too. I played Battlefield 1943 for almost three days striaght (big fan of the original) and found that switching from that game to Call of Duty 4 was actually frustrating because of the 120Hz. Battlefield feels so much slower yet really really smooth. Now I have experienced this before earlier this month while playing Ghostbusters and switching to other games like inFamous. Fast forward feel is annoying and in movies it feels too fast in some cases. It's just not natural and I don't recommend it.

Remember: Every few years the electronics companies have to come out with something that makes you want to re-buy the perfectly good shit you already own

[quote name='HeadRusch']Remember: Every few years the electronics companies have to come out with something that makes you want to re-buy the perfectly good shit you already own[/QUOTE]

It does seem that way. My HDTV is 60Hz, and I think it is good enough.

You know I have seen this "Fast Forwarding" effect and I thought it was me, but a lot of people are seeing this as well. To turn this 120hz off makes you pay MORE than the same model than the 60hz model.

So yea 60hz is fine for me for now.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Remember: Every few years the electronics companies have to come out with something that makes you want to re-buy the perfectly good shit you already own[/QUOTE]

This :applause: Pretty much any decent 720p/1080p sets that are out now look brilliant once you adjust them to your preferences. If your signal is junk the tv can't make it look like Pixar.

I personally like it during some things. A lot of cinematic games like cutscenes and stuff I think look good, but for things such as movies I usually turn it off because it does throw off the flow slightly. Also I noticed on certain animated shows/movies it will actually look better IMO just because it makes the animation look smoother.

Does no one here understand what 120 Hz is actually about?

There is more than frame rate involved. There is also frame synchronization. Different content has differing frame rates, which the screen must compensate for if the rate does not line up evenly with the refresh rate of the display. On a 60 Hz screen, 60 fps and 30 fps work but 24 fps, which is used in direct film to video transfers, does not sync properly. This causing glitches that videophiles notice, much like the annoyances that came out of NTSC's not quite 30 fps.

120 Hz allows all of the major frame rates to sync up evenly.

There should not be any noticeable distortion of 30 and 60 Hz outputs. The frames are merely displayed twice and four times respectively. A lot of what people are complaining about isn't a degradation of the image quality but rather a disconnect with what their brain has been accustomed to processing most of their lives. It can be similar to when you go overseas for the first time and feel an irritation you can't quite put your finger on. This comes from spending your whole life under light that flicker at a particular rate (60 Hz for Americans) and sudden;y living in a world flickering at a different rate.

Another example is when flat tube monitors first came to market. At first encounter they would appear to be carved inward. This was because your brain had been compensating for outwardly carved screens and that created the illusion when seeing a flat screen for the first time.

[quote name='donteatsoap7']He's the one who you'll be working for some day.[/QUOTE]
he's the one who'll be kissing my shoes begging me to buy an extended warranty on my billion foot plasma that i'll put in my boat

I was wondering when someone was going to start quoting the 120hz frame conversion whitepapers..."There is no 3:2 pulldown required, ITS A MUCH BETTER PICTURE!"..

(yaaaawwwwnnn)

I was looking at the best buy ad and I'm not sure if I saw it right or now but are plasmas up to 600hz now?

[quote name='sendme']I was looking at the best buy ad and I'm not sure if I saw it right or now but are plasmas up to 600hz now?[/QUOTE]

yup and nope (sub field processing).
About 2 weeks ago I got a 50" 720P Samsung. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sendme']I was looking at the best buy ad and I'm not sure if I saw it right or now but are plasmas up to 600hz now?[/QUOTE]

No, but there are some 240 Hz displays out there now. A cliche perhaps but the demo at CES really looked like you could reach in and touch moving objects in the image. Some find this disturbing to the point of distraction, while other adapt more readily.

It does matter. While some might not notice the difference, it is something that is better to have.

And the "fast-forward" look you guys are talking about it probably the Auto-Motion Plus feature. You can turn that off; I do. Your T.V. will still be 120Hz if you turn it off, it just won't have that odd, too smooth look.

The problem is this 120Hz refresh stuff is still in its first few generations......I've seen 120" projectors that decode 24/48hz and can display it accordingly, the difference between it and 3:2 pulldown at 30fps or what have you is almost inconsequential.......its laughably so little a deal that its almost the ultimate example of people quoting the spec-sheet to proclaim a winner.

[quote name='epobirs']Does no one here understand what 120 Hz is actually about?

There is more than frame rate involved. There is also frame synchronization. Different content has differing frame rates, which the screen must compensate for if the rate does not line up evenly with the refresh rate of the display. On a 60 Hz screen, 60 fps and 30 fps work but 24 fps, which is used in direct film to video transfers, does not sync properly. This causing glitches that videophiles notice, much like the annoyances that came out of NTSC's not quite 30 fps.

120 Hz allows all of the major frame rates to sync up evenly.

There should not be any noticeable distortion of 30 and 60 Hz outputs. The frames are merely displayed twice and four times respectively. A lot of what people are complaining about isn't a degradation of the image quality but rather a disconnect with what their brain has been accustomed to processing most of their lives. It can be similar to when you go overseas for the first time and feel an irritation you can't quite put your finger on. This comes from spending your whole life under light that flicker at a particular rate (60 Hz for Americans) and sudden;y living in a world flickering at a different rate.

Another example is when flat tube monitors first came to market. At first encounter they would appear to be carved inward. This was because your brain had been compensating for outwardly carved screens and that created the illusion when seeing a flat screen for the first time.[/QUOTE]
QFT. People are morons. If anything was "sped up" it would be moving twice as fast, and it's certainly not doing that.

I enjoy the AMP feature on my TV and leave it on the medium setting for everything except games. I have gotten used to it, and prefer to see more detail in panning shots. When I see tv's without it on its uncomfortable to watch.

Its up to you Op. Go to the store, look at some sets. its all subjective. Everyone has there own opinion and you need to make up your own. Good luck.

[quote name='Lice']Its up to you Op. Go to the store, look at some sets. its all subjective. Everyone has there own opinion and you need to make up your own. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Yes I'm afraid you are correct. But how do I go about asking them? Sometimes workers can be jerks and I don't want to hear "We don't do that here sir, what you see is what you get".

bread's done
Back