6mb speed for fiber optic???

winterice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Some AT&T guys came knocking on my door saying that they are switching over to fiber optics and are now offering t.v. services and faster internet speed. He goes into this little talk about fiber optics and then I ask him what the speed was. Guys tells me it is 6mb. Now, I don't know much about fiber optics but isn't that slow for fiber optics? Isn't Verizon offering like 12mb for their fiber optics services? My cable internet right know gives me 6mb speeds or at least that's the stated speed. Should I consider changing internet service since AT&T is going fiber optic with the same speed as my comcast cable and at almost half the price at $35?

Firstly, it's megabits, not megabytes, so 6 Megabits = 3/4 of a Megabyte, or a little over 750 Kilobytes. Don't let that fool you (if it was).

Around here Comcast advertises up to 16 Mbps, which is about 2 MBps. You more than likely won't ever see those speeds anyway.

I just looked some shit up and Verizon can do up to 50 Mbps for a hefty price ($140-145 a month). On AT&T's site they have a "preferred plan" for 3 Mbps for $30, so I guess the 6 Mbps is new.

[quote name='winterice']Should I consider changing internet service since AT&T is going fiber optic with the same speed as my comcast cable and at almost half the price at $35?[/quote]

yes

6 mbit is nothing, my DSL is 6 mbit. I know that 16 mbit that comcast offers isn't necessarily true. That speed is only a temporary "boost" i believe.

[quote name='tehweezner']yes[/QUOTE]

But is it going to be as fast as cable? The thing is I used to have their dsl plan around 4 years ago but that was way slower than cable. My cousin, who lives about a mile or less of me had cable and they were downloading with speed of 600 - 700 kb/mb/Mb or whatever terminology it is. My tops on dsl was only 140 or so.

[quote name='winterice']But is it going to be as fast as cable? The thing is I used to have their dsl plan around 4 years ago but that was way slower than cable. My cousin, who lives about a mile or less of me had cable and they were downloading with speed of 600 - 700 kb/mb/Mb or whatever terminology it is. My tops on dsl was only 140 or so.[/quote]

it should be just as fast, if not faster than cable. DSL is slow, even their 6mb rated services

Right now (I just speed tested), I'm getting about 12.5 Mbps download and 2.5 Mbps upload on Comcast.

That's probably not typical, but I'd say it's still probably above 6 Mbps normally.

It's really just up to you for the cost aspect, unless your Comcast is slower than mine (which is entirely possible).

At my previous house i had 15.0 RoadRunner though Time Warner for $44.95 /month, i think it was called "Turbo" or something.It was very fast and great for Xbox live/downloading/streaming/whatever. The only thing available for the house i moved to is 3.0 dsl with a fucked connection. :bomb:

[quote name='Dkellar']A single strand of optical fiber can easily transfer 10 gigabits a second.[/quote]

I like random tech quotes like these without any information to back it up so that the lay person can't research it and find out why no ISP ever comes close to offering you 10 gigabits/second.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I like random tech quotes like these without any information to back it up so that the lay person can't research it and find out why no ISP ever comes close to offering you 10 gigabits/second.[/QUOTE]
And if they don't do the research they deserve what they get.

bread's done
Back