7.1 > 5.1

SNAKE EYES EX

CAGiversary!
I don't know how many of you fellow CAG's have your PS3 connected to an audio receiver via HDMI; Specifically a receiver that will accept LPCM (linear pulse code modulation) via HDMI. More specifically, an 8-channel speaker setup (e.g. 7.1).

Nevertheless, I must say: One of the least talked about, best features, of PlayStation 3 is in fact discrete 7.1 audio. I’ve had a 7.1 setup for a few years now, relegated to using Dolby Pro Logic IIx to “enable” the use of my surround back speakers.

Certainly, Pro Logic IIx does an outstanding job. On my 360 playing Oblivion for instance, while panning around a village the conversations between fellow citizens will pan from speaker to speaker including my rear surround channels, in a pseudo discrete fashion.

But many PS3 games, namely: Ratchet and Clank Future, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Warhawk, Resistance, and Call of Duty 4 – just to name a few – all contain discrete 7.1 PCM soundtracks. Some podcasters have raved about the dts encoded audio in Uncharted, but 7.1 PCM completely pisses all over the 5.1 compressed dts audio.

Anyway…this is not to brag about my audio setup. While I am quite proud of my home theater. This is to brag about one of the less talked about features of PlayStation 3 and something the Xbox 360 cannot currently support.

7.1 uncompressed PCM audio for the mother fucking win!

I have a 5.1 setup. And I find often find that the rear channels are underused, or drowned out by the front channels. I believe this to be because most many/some studios now are optimizing for 7.1, and the 5.1 is just interpreted from that. So I would second your opinion that if at all possible get a 7.1 setup.

~S

I'm happy with my 6.1 setup. I need to upgrade my received eventually anyways....I'm waiting for prices to fall, and technology to somewhat stabilize.

I now have my setup for my 7.1 nearly complete, just need a center channel.. and to move the hell out of the furniture.

Total cost.

Onkyo 7.1 = 722.39
6 Kilpsch F2 = 2200.XX
1 Center Channel = 267.XX
New Tv Stand = 300
Monster Speaker Wire = 30.00
Cost of Installion cuz my friend did it = 100

Around 3800. For a setup for 7.1 surround sound.

:)

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']I now have my setup for my 7.1 nearly complete, just need a center channel.. and to move the hell out of the furniture.

Total cost.

Onkyo 7.1 = 722.39
6 Kilpsch F2 = 2200.XX
1 Center Channel = 267.XX
New Tv Stand = 300
Monster Speaker Wire = 30.00
Cost of Installion cuz my friend did it = 100

Around 3800. For a setup for 7.1 surround sound.

:)[/QUOTE]

Nice fucking setup. :D Damn I would love to hear that.

The problem with 7.1 is that if you own expensive speakers, thats 2 more you gotta add (and find space to properly position). Do your ears hear a huge difference? Not so much.....surely a handfull of video games isn't enough to justify the expense, in fact..I'd say ESPECIALLY videogames.

The advantage you are hearing in that 7.1 setup is likely the uncompressed soundtrack, not the addition of 2 additional sound sources.

Personally I think they invited 7.1 just to convince people that they needed to ditch their old 5.1's and move up to the next big thing, to sell them something new, the way they did with Dolby Pro Logic to 5.1/DTS/AC3.

Now that 7.1 is even in budget setups, it wont be long before they move to 10.1 or something....

[quote name='HeadRusch']The problem with 7.1 is that if you own expensive speakers, thats 2 more you gotta add (and find space to properly position). Do your ears hear a huge difference? Not so much.....surely a handfull of video games isn't enough to justify the expense, in fact..I'd say ESPECIALLY videogames.

The advantage you are hearing in that 7.1 setup is likely the uncompressed soundtrack, not the addition of 2 additional sound sources.

Personally I think they invited 7.1 just to convince people that they needed to ditch their old 5.1's and move up to the next big thing, to sell them something new, the way they did with Dolby Pro Logic to 5.1/DTS/AC3.

Now that 7.1 is even in budget setups, it wont be long before they move to 10.1 or something....[/QUOTE]

Try 11.2 :D
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-Z11BL-11-2-Channel-Audio-Receiver/dp/B000V52E76

There is a huge difference between Dolby Pro Logic and 5.1/DTS/AC3 though. A 7.1 set up with a receiver that can do PCM or TrueHD audio is a huge improvement over 5.1.

Whoops, I was off by 1! :) I heard the guy from THX wants 13.1.

But that kinda brings out my point: The huge difference between DPL/AC3/DTS isn't the additional channels, its the clarity of highly-compressed sound on a DVD versus uncompressed or barely-compressed DTS-MA or PCM sound on HD/BD discs, thats the payoff, the channels are sort of.."yeah..nice..but".

I would never buy up into a 7.1 receiver just so I could hear more discrete side/rear sound channels...but uncompressed sound is a bigger deal. Not to me so much, I find DVD audio to be perfectly adequate and immersive, but it'll be nice to have when I upgrade someday.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Such a waste of 5k. then again I spent nearly that much on my setup...[/quote]

I won't go into detail how much my system cost ;)

My dad has like 9.0. Lol.

He doesn't know how to assemble it so he just plugs every speaker into one of the ports on the back. He has like 3 speaker cords going into one channel. And no subwoofer. Funny stuff.

If I only have 5.1 surround sound, what's the best settings to use for games? I need to read up on all these LCPM compression stuff.

Interesting thread. I personally have a 7.1 setup that consists of the following.

Denon 3808CI Reciever
B&W CM7's
B&W CM1's
B&W CMCentre
B&W LM1's

The LM1's are perfect for the rear, being as how "7.1" is nothing more than an additional mono rear.

Currently budgeting for new subs, as I only have 2 12" powered Infinity's at this time.

...and I agree. Ratchet sounds especially nice in 7.1.

Blu-ray movies are incredible for the most part.

doesnt the ps3 fail at encoding 7.1 pcm codecs or some other top of the line codecs?

i got 5.1 dts im happy with that :D

Damn I'm jealous of all you guys. Right now just rocking the 2 speakers that are on my TV. Hope to have a good sound set up in time for MGS4 though. Supposedly the games audio will be amazing.

[quote name='Furashu']doesnt the ps3 fail at encoding 7.1 pcm codecs or some other top of the line codecs?

i got 5.1 dts im happy with that :D[/quote]

No, the PS3 will send 7.1 lossless Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed linear PCM. If your PS3 is connected to a receiver that accepts 7.1 PCM via direct digital input (n this case HDMI) you'll be able to experience up to 7.1 audio from your PS3.

PCM is not a CODEC, there is no COmpression DECompression with PCM. PCM is pure uncompressed audio.

mtxbass1: You're setup is very similar to mine. I have all B&W speakers as well, except for my Velodyne HGS-15x sub.

It's not just for games... some movies are already in 7.1, more to come. Just watched "The Descent" Blu-ray the other night, it says its 6.1 PCM on the box, but its 7.1 PCM! You have to manually select the audio track 2 to make it work, but it was fantastic! Perfect movie for the extra channels, too!

Pan's Labyrinth is coming in 7.1 end of this month... :)

The PS3 does NOT send DTS-HD MA 7.1 yet, unfortunately. Hopefully that will be resolved.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']

mtxbass1: You're setup is very similar to mine. I have all B&W speakers as well, except for my Velodyne HGS-15x sub.[/quote]

I'm about to upgrade to 804's. That'll be nice.

[quote name='gorgo']
The PS3 does NOT send DTS-HD MA 7.1 yet, unfortunately. Hopefully that will be resolved.[/quote]

That's what I hope for from every firmware update...*sigh*

804's will be super hot mtxbass1.

snowsquirrel: You likely don't have your sound turned up loud enough or, you haven't calibrated your speakers. Your rear speakers should be fairly active on most PS3 games.

Having a real sound system is pretty much the biggest upgrade I've ever made in terms of gaming. dpatel - going from 2 - 5.1, even if they're crappy speakers, is a lot of fun. MGS4 is going to seem that much better :)

bread's done
Back