8/1 UPDATE: YMMV @ Fry's B&M/Online, All HD DVD Titles starting at $6.99/ea & up

luvmysegadc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
UPDATE 8/1/08: TODAY UNTIL TUESDAY, 8/5/08.

UPDATE 7/25/08
: Minor price drop on a few titles. Hopefully, it's the start of more to come. These prices are good until Tues., 7/29, but don't be surprised if these become permanent.

UPDATE 7/16/08
: Paramount titles will start to make there way to the shelves (and hopefully online) starting today, 20+ titles and 3000+ discs per store. Some titles that I remember from the list:

Stardust
Zodiac
Mission Impossible 1-3
Into the Wild
Arctic Tale
Hot Rod
Top Gun
Face-Off
Failure to Launch
World Trade Center
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
The Italian Job (2003)

UPDATE 7/10/08
: Planet Earth (BBC version) is back @ $29.99 until Tuesday, 7/15.

UPDATE 7/4/08:
The Complete Matrix Trilogy is back to $24.99 until Sunday, July 6th.
Frys.com Online link to HD DVD titles:
http://shop2.frys.com/search?cat=-59250&pType=pDisplay

UPDATE 7/2/08:
With the exception of Black Christmas, Derailed, Scary Movie 4 and Wolf Creek dropping to $7.99 (YMMV, of course), starting prices have increased to $11.99/ea. Keep an eye out for their 4th of July day and weekend sale(s). The Complete Matrix Trilogy is back to $34.99 and the BBC version of Planet Earth is $39.99?.

UPDATE 6/27/08:
I was informed by a Fry's employee that according to an internal conference call, Fry's has acquired the HD DVD inventory of all of their competitors (minus "Mom & Pop" stores), so they will be the only B&M that will sell these in-store and on their website despite the original directive that all B&M stores send their stock back to their distributor.

...Now if I could only find a copy of The Wild Bunch, Bullitt, and the 1972 version of The Getaway (edit: I don't remember ordering it, but I got the Blu-ray version in the mail on 7/1. Just need the former two now.).

UPDATE 6/26/08: Sale extended from 6/26 - 7/1/08. Prices gathered from San Jose Mercury News website ad, so still very much YMMV.
Planet Earth (BBC version) added @ $29.99. Matrix Trilogy price still active. New WB titles added.

The Shinning
Superman: The Movie
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Terminator 3
Dog Day Afternoon
Wyatt Earp
Pan's Labyrinth
TMNT
Happy Feet
Training Day
Full Metal Jacket
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Space Cowboys
Superman Returns
Goodfellas

UPDATE 6/20/08:
Several titles went on sale today @ $9.99/ea. Also, The Complete Matrix Trilogy (not the 10 disc Ultimate Set) can be had for $24.99. Prices are good Fri., 6/20/08 through Tues., 6/24/08 (Fishers, IN., Dallas, TX. area, and SF Bay area confirmed).

Just got back from my Fry's (Fishers, IN) and they had started a sell on Warner Bros. HD DVD titles over this past weekend. Granted you will still probably find titles cheaper online shipped than $12, but some maybe hard to come by these days. I picked up Batman Begins, Enter the Dragon and Goodfellas. They still have Weinstein Company titles @ $8.99 and $9.99 and Universal and Paramount titles that vary from $9.99 - $19.99.

Sorry, I don't have a complete list, but here is what I remember:

All Harry Potters
Superman II: Richard Donner Cut
Superman Returns
The Last Samurai
Blazing Saddles
Eyes Wide Shut
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
Constantine
Dog Day Afternoon

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at frys yesterday and saw these too. There were a couple others worth mentioning.

Letters from Iwo Jima
2001: Space Oddysey
The Shining
Matrix Trilogy for 35
I am Legend for 15
Casablanca
and a few more.

I was gonna pick some up but there were so many copies that I think that theyll drop a little more. Ill wait till they drop to 10 or lower to get them.

[quote name='joker______']thanks for the heads up op but i have a quick question has the Ocean's trilogy dropped as well?[/quote]

Sorry, but I didn't check any of the box sets.

[quote name='pinoy530']My Fry's just lowered the prices of their catalog Universal titles to $11.99(they used to be $14.99)[/quote]

Too bad they didn't add American Gangster to that. I had a salesman check before I left the store Tuesday and it was still $19.99.

FYI: i just checked the frys website and alot of hd's mentioned here are listed at 11.99 there as well, don't know if they are in stock, but i'm sure someone will try and post it here.

Just got back from Fry's in Wilsonville, OR, and they didn't have any of the Ocean's Trilogy, but considering they still had the Harry Potter 5-Pack at $119.99, I would imagine that their boxes are still hanging out at their higher prices. They had a big featured space at the front of the store with the Harry Potters, Unforgiven, etc at $11.99.

[quote name='chunkay']Hm I got American Gangster at the deepdiscount sale for $9. Should be coming tomorrow.[/quote]

Then you got one of the last ones. It was OOS when I ordered about 2-3 weeks ago.

[quote name='grimlock49']i spent too much today.... rumor is more titles coming from other studios.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this rumor?

Fry's bought tons of Warner titles that were being pulled. Many were already printed discs without cases and were put into HD DVD cases without the logos on it .

Yesterday's San Jose ad had Planet Earth for $30. Couldn't tell if it was the US or BBC version. I have to check on the Matrix trilogy. Might jump on that one if it's $25 in my area.

Damn I was going to order The Matrix Trilogy but shipping brings my total to almost $32. I'm sure I'll find it cheaper than that sooner or later. I wish they had some form of free shipping like Amazon, Tower and others do.

I picked up Pan's Labyrinth for $11.99 from the Renton, WA Frys on the 17th. It's definitely been a hard one to find for a good price. Lowest online I could find was 14.99+ shipping from iNetVideo which would be either +$4.95 or +$2 depending on how many hd-dvd's you would order. Too bad I'm broke now...

Got a tad bit carried away at Fry's today.

Happy Feet
Battle of the Bulge
Caddyshack
Meet the Fockers
Last Starfighter
The Jerk
Blazing Saddles
Meet the Parents
The Dirty Dozen
Complete Matrix Trilogy

Came out to $130. $10.83 a movie, not bad IMO.

i actually went to the store to pick this up (along with the planet earth [says BBC version with narrator some dude] and 300) unfortunately they were out of stock at the aero drive frys :(

but the guy said they are probably not going to be getting anymore in stock, so i bit for the $32 online price. at least i can save some of my black gold :p

[quote name='Lucky13']Damn I was going to order The Matrix Trilogy but shipping brings my total to almost $32. I'm sure I'll find it cheaper than that sooner or later. I wish they had some form of free shipping like Amazon, Tower and others do.[/quote]

[quote name='supermodestmouse']i actually went to the store to pick this up (along with the planet earth [says BBC version with narrator some dude] and 300) unfortunately they were out of stock at the aero drive frys :(

but the guy said they are probably not going to be getting anymore in stock, so i bit for the $32 online price. at least i can save some of my black gold :p[/quote]

"..with narrator some dude..."!?

WTF!? You must be a "lyttle tyke"...or someone that has never watched PBS?

Here's his wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Attenborough

Besides, the original BBC version has extended footage not seen in the Discovery Channel version (although Sigourney Weaver was a very good choice).

my sincerest apologies friend, i didn't have it in front of me. but bottom line is that it wasn't sigourney weaver (unless she's a dude...)

I'm looking now and his name is david attenborough.

[quote name='supermodestmouse']my sincerest apologies friend, i didn't have it in front of me. but bottom line is that it wasn't sigourney weaver (unless she's a dude...)

I'm looking now and his name is david attenborough.[/quote]

No worries, man. I was just teasing:whee:.

...But at 6' tall (no heels), Sigourney Weaver will dunk on you.

[quote name='Deadpool']my frys has everything still priced around MSRP![/quote]

That sucks. Are we talking surburban Chicago or SoCal?

Just curious: I noticed that you own RoboCop (blu-ray). IYHO, what are your thoughts on the Mpeg-2 transfer? That been the sole reason why I have avoided buying it, especially after it took me about 2 yrs to track down a reasonably price SD DVD boxset last summer with the unrated director's cut of the original. I remember viewing the Criterion Collection edition around the year 2000 and was not impressed by the picture quality (the boxset version is a little better, IMO).

Yeah, stopped into the Roseville, CA Fry's today, not only do they have the HD DVD shelves pretty well stocked but they have 8 shopping carts filled to the brim with a ton of HD-DVD's all priced $9.99-$11.99. Thankfully, I didn't go too crazy and just picked up:

V for Vendetta
Caddyshack (one of my ALL TIME faves)
Galapogos
A Clockwork Orange

All for $9.99 each.

[quote name='lawdood']Yeah, stopped into the Roseville, CA Fry's today, not only do they have the HD DVD shelves pretty well stocked but they have 8 shopping carts filled to the brim with a ton of HD-DVD's all priced $9.99-$11.99. Thankfully, I didn't go too crazy and just picked up:

V for Vendetta
Caddyshack (one of my ALL TIME faves)
Galapogos
A Clockwork Orange

All for $9.99 each.[/quote]

galapagos for $10? damn, i need that planet earth is amazing in HD. gonna have to swing by my SD store and see what's up...

My Fry's had a table with all their HD-DVDs. The sign said 11.99 so I picked up:

Batman Begins
Blood Diamond
Alpha Dog

There many others that I don't remember but I do remember all the Superman movies, including the older ones, were also priced at 11.99. When I checked out, they actually rang up 9.99. Pretty good deals all around, I'm just low on funds at the moment.

yeah, i ended up picking up v for vendetta, galapagos, and blue planet a few weeks ago. might swing by tomorrow and take a look at what's left...

Went back..lots of Universal titles now. I'm a regular, so I asked if there were anymore coming? The employee told me look for one more studio to be coming. Paramount titles.

[quote name='grimlock49']Went back..lots of Universal titles now. I'm a regular, so I asked if there were anymore coming? The employee told me look for one more studio to be coming. Paramount titles.[/quote]

IMHO, it's about fucking time!
Thanks for the head's up, grim.

yeah, cruised by today at the mira mesa fry's. only 7.99 movie was black x-mas, most are 9.99 now though. didn't pick anything up, but noticed the shelves were freshly stocked DEEP! last time, they were empty, so i wonder how much more stock they have and if the sale will get better when they get to the end of the inventory. come on $5 HD-DVDS! :D

I went to the store in Fremont, California to pick up Bourne Ultimatum. I noticed they didn't have any on the shelf, but as I walked through the DVD section I noticed boxes beneath the shelfs labeled as HD DVD. I started to go through the boxes, and I was amazed at the number of HD DVDs they had. Most of what they had was already on the shelf, but everything that has been on sale recently could be found with ease.

I did notice that most of the universal titles, including the Bourne Ultimatum, had the English/French paclaging. Other titles off the top of my head that had the English/French cover were Meaning of Life, Breach, Children of Men.

I'd wager that these are going to get reduced further since my fry's had tons of hd-dvd inventory. It was obviously shipped in for this sale and not the original HD-DVD inventory from the store.

Most of the HD-DVDs were $11.99 at my store in Texas.

Ok, I stopped by the Austin, TX Fry's again today. They finally organized their HD-DVDs a bit.

Not sure if the Austin location is comparable to the other stores, but Austin has a TON of HD-DVDs. I'd say they have at least 100 copies (if not 200) of every title and they have a wide variety of HD-DVD titles. There are four tables full of HD-DVDs, two large displays of HD-DVDs, three carts full, and boxes and boxes of additonal supply underneath the regular dvd section.

I didn't go crazy since these have to come down in price even more judging on the massive supply, but I picked up:

for $9.99:
Batman Begins
40 Year Old Virgin

for $11.99:
Zodiac director's cut (only a few copies of this one)
Terminator 3

Unfortunately, they didn't have the matrix trilogy at this store, but they did have Mission Impossible trilogy for $29.99 which I'm waiting to cheapen up before buying.

[quote name='von551']yeah, cruised by today at the mira mesa fry's. only 7.99 movie was black x-mas, most are 9.99 now though. didn't pick anything up, but noticed the shelves were freshly stocked DEEP! last time, they were empty, so i wonder how much more stock they have and if the sale will get better when they get to the end of the inventory. come on $5 HD-DVDS! :D[/QUOTE]

There's a Fry's in Mira Mesa!?

[quote name='jovherye']There's a Fry's in Mira Mesa!?[/quote]

well, it's the serra mesa one. off aero, it's mira mesa to me.

bread's done
Back