$8 Amazon coupon on Dumbo (Blu-Ray) pre-order - releases 09/20/11 - $16.99 AC.

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Amazon is running another item with a clippable coupon, this time it's an $8 coupon off of Dumbo when you pre-order it on Blu-Ray. It's $27.99 $24.99 at the moment, so it'll be $19.99 $16.99 AC.

Dumbo (2-disc BD/DVD combo) in Blu-Ray packaging: http://www.amazon.com/Dumbo-Two-Disc-Anniversary-Blu-ray-Packaging/dp/B003H9M1QM/
Dumbo (2-disc DVD/BD combo) in DVD packaging: http://www.amazon.com/Dumbo-Two-Disc-Anniversary-Blu-ray-Packaging/dp/B004YHRZLM/ (yes, I know it says Blu-Ray packaging in the URL, though it's a different ASIN # than the BD version)

Assuming we get another situation like they did with Bambi and Tangled, Amazon will match the cheapest B&M price and we'll get the benefits of the coupon.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^lolz you two..

so basically Amazon has started doing this to compensate for DMR coupons? I don't know if its enough to sway me to buy from them though..does Amazon get you new releases on release day?

thanks OP.

I have Amazon Prime and I always get pre-orders on release day. In the case of movies, there's been a few that I've even gotten the day before release date. I have heard it isn't necessarily the same for those not on Prime.

[quote name='token2k6']^^lolz you two..

so basically Amazon has started doing this to compensate for DMR coupons? I don't know if its enough to sway me to buy from them though..does Amazon get you new releases on release day?[/QUOTE]They do if you have Prime, but Amazon in general has never been able to be a better deal than using DMR coupons elsewhere. I bet Dumbo will be at BB or Target for 9.99 plus tax with the DMR coupon.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']but Amazon in general has never been able to be a better deal than using DMR coupons elsewhere[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true . . . As Shrike notes in the OP, both Bambi and Tangled ended up being the same or cheaper through Amazon (Amazon matched the B&M prices, and their coupon was better than the DMR coupon). Basically, your best bet is to put the order in through Amazon now, and then cancel if/when a better deal turns up somewhere else closer to release (keeping in mind that Amazon will likely end up matching Target or Best Buy's base price, but the match might not happen until right at the time of release -- at that point, it's mostly a matter of how Amazon's $8 coupon compares to whatever the DMR coupon is). Just make sure that you're keeping an eye on it when the time comes.

[quote name='arcane93']Not entirely true . . . As Shrike notes in the OP, both Bambi and Tangled ended up being cheaper through Amazon. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']They do if you have Prime, but Amazon in general has never been able to be a better deal than using DMR coupons elsewhere. I bet Dumbo will be at BB or Target for 9.99 plus tax with the DMR coupon.[/QUOTE]...

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']They do if you have Prime, but Amazon in general has never been able to be a better deal than using DMR coupons elsewhere. I bet Dumbo will be at BB or Target for 9.99 plus tax with the DMR coupon.[/QUOTE]

These two sets of words tend to contradict each other.

M

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']...[/QUOTE]

Ok, first off, your use of the word "never" negates any meaning to your "in general" . . . it can't be "in general never", it's either "never" or it isn't. You can say that "it is never a better deal" or that "in general, it isn't a better deal", but "in general never" simply doesn't make sense.

Pedantic grammar aside, though, my bigger point was that I don't want you to dissuade people from taking advantage of this deal. It might be a better deal, or it might not. But if you skip it now and it turns out to be the better deal in the end, you'll be out of luck by that point.

For what it's worth, both Bambi and Tangled have been recent releases, and I believe were also some of the first ones for which Amazon offered a coupon like this to compete with the DMR coupon. So it looks, from the limited evidence that we have anyway, like Amazon is stepping up their game and trying to be more competitive on these titles.

Most DMR coupons have been $8 lately. So most of the time, it could be the same price on Amazon. But The Incredibles plus Cars deal at Best Buy plus the coupons was awesome and I don't amazon matched them.

Out of the last few coupons we've had that Amazon put up there, it was hit or miss about which one was a better deal.

From what I remember, Bambi and Secretariat with the Amazon coupon were the same price as the B&M purchases from either BB or Target with the DMR coupon. Tangled ended up being a better deal because it was a $5 DMR coupon at B&M and the Amazon coupon was $8, matched to the cheapest B&M price of $24.99. Tron Legacy's DMR coupon was a better deal with the packaged purchase with Tron Classic and the bundled savings than what you could get online with Amazon and their coupon.

Since Amazon doesn't bill until shipment, there's nothing preventing you from making a pre-order like this and locking in the coupon savings, since there's enough time before the ads get posted for release week pricing and the DMR coupon getting posted to figure out if Amazon with possible B&M price match + coupon ends up being a better option or not.

[quote name='KidSqueek']Most DMR coupons have been $8 lately. So most of the time, it could be the same price on Amazon. But The Incredibles plus Cars deal at Best Buy plus the coupons was awesome and I don't amazon matched them.[/QUOTE]That deal with an unexpected surprise about being that good of a deal at B&M ($10 package savings + $18 coupons + 2 movie tickets), which was the same as Target's package deal on Tron Legacy and Tron Classic purchased together.

Yup, when the stores offer a package deal, they tend to be the better choice. So far, though, it doesn't look like there's going to be another new release along with Dumbo, so it's doubtful we'll see a package deal with this one. The only upcoming titles which might fall into that would be The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast 3D, since we don't have release dates for either yet, but those are both likely to be a bit later in the fall (probably October or November).

Also worth noting for anyone new to these Amazon coupons -- the reason why we're talking about ordering to lock it in now is that these coupons are up on Amazon for a limited amount of time, and will go away long before the actual release date. So if you wait on it to find out what the DMR coupon will be or what other retailers are going to do, you'll miss out.

[quote name='shrike4242']Price just dropped to $24.99 before the coupon, so it's now $16.99 AC.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was fast. I wonder how long it will take them to auto-adjust existing orders . . . I'm not going to trust them all the way up to September with it.

[quote name='arcane93']Wow, that was fast. I wonder how long it will take them to auto-adjust existing orders . . . I'm not going to trust them all the way up to September with it.[/QUOTE]camelcamelcamel.com is always your friend to track pricing changes. I'm giving them until the weekend and if it hasn't auto-adjusted by then, I'm emailing them about it.

The coupon appears to still be live, for those that haven't jumped on it.

I checked BestBuy.com, nothing online for Dumbo yet. Walmart has it for $24.96 right now, so hopefully we'll see some pricing warfare between WM.com and Amazon for a while.

First time preordering these on Amazon. Do we just wait for them to auto-adjust or do we need to take any action? I just checked my order details and it still says 27.99 for Dumbo.

[quote name='jling84']First time preordering these on Amazon. Do we just wait for them to auto-adjust or do we need to take any action? I just checked my order details and it still says 27.99 for Dumbo.[/QUOTE]

In the past, they've usually auto-adjusted my orders within 24 hours of the price drop, though there have been a couple of times where I've ended up having to contact them to get it done. In those cases, I suppose that it still might have happened eventually if I'd waited longer, but I didn't want to risk the prices going back up.

My more recent experiences have been different, but those also have been drops right at release, which might make a difference. In those cases, it took them longer to adjust -- by the time they adjusted it, they had already billed me, and had to issue a refund. This also happened automatically, but took a few days.

So I'd say give them at least overnight to drop it (there's probably an automated script that runs at some point), and send them a quick note if it doesn't happen within a day or two.

Saw this post yesterday as I was heading out and didn't order it. Found it in my Gold Box with the price drop today. Pretty happy myself.

Ugh. I can NOT seem to get the coupon to apply. The coupon shows up in my "coupon book", but when I actually go to check out, it still shows $24.99. Even upon completing the order it still says $24.99. What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone in NY received an email with promo-code to match the $8 coupon?

Amazon did this with Tron, BATB, and Lion King to compensate NY'ers excluded from coupons... but have heard noting thus-far for Dumbo.

[quote name='INCyr']Ugh. I can NOT seem to get the coupon to apply. The coupon shows up in my "coupon book", but when I actually go to check out, it still shows $24.99. Even upon completing the order it still says $24.99. What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

So I called Amazon tonight, and managed to stump them. They COULD NOT find this coupon anywhere. My rep even had her supervisor looking for it, and no one could find the thing anywhere. They were completely mystified. Fortunately they believed me, and gave me an $8 price reduction to my order, bringing it down to $16.99, but it was so odd - I've NEVER seen Amazon not be able to find their own promotion anywhere. Not even a record or any evidence it even existed.

I think I'm sticking with my pre-order of Dumbo and Lion King. I've already pushed my luck with the first cancellation I think.

M

Yay Amazon price adjusted Dumbo down to 24.99. Because I paid for my order all with Amazon credit, my balance is now -$3.00. I'm assuming they'll give me back $3.00 in Amazon credit after the order ships?

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']I bet Dumbo will be at BB or Target for 9.99 plus tax with the DMR coupon.[/QUOTE]

Many of us are assuming there will be a sizable DMR coupon. I know most Disney animated releases have had $6 or $8 DMR coupons but that doesn't guarantee Dumbo will. I have to agree with others that it is best to pre-order with Amazon to lock in no less than $16.99 and then you can always cancel if a better deal comes down the line in the next 4 months. Since nothing is charged until shipment I'd rather have to cancel than regret not getting a decent deal. As they say in the financial industry 'past performance is not indiciative of future results.' ;)

Chris

The other thing to consider is that this is a re-release not a new movie, so there'll be an upgrade coupon, not simply a regular coupon...

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

I just placed an order for Dumbo & Lion King and got $16 off thanks to the "get $8 off when you buy two" promo. It's the best I can do for now. Can always cancel if Disney sends out coupons for them down the road.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']They do if you have Prime, but Amazon in general has never been able to be a better deal than using DMR coupons elsewhere. I bet Dumbo will be at BB or Target for 9.99 plus tax with the DMR coupon.[/QUOTE]Assuming we get the same $8 coupon at B&M as a DMR coupon, it would have to be $17.99 pre-coupon for that to be the case. I can't see that happening on a new release week, unless there's some package savings that BB will toss out there if B&TB 3D or Lion King comes out the same day.

I'll be happy to have Amazon match whatever price BB or Target have, DMR coupon or no DMR coupon. Tangled's DMR B&M coupon was $5 and the Amazon coupon was $8, so we ended up with that from Amazon for $16.99. Target B&M was $24.99 - $5 DMR coupon = $19.99.

I'm really confused by this. Where would I find this coupon? I live in NY, if that makes a difference, although I ship everything to my brother in Massachusetts...

^ Its on the product page, just underneath "want to receive this the day it comes out?"

Save $8.00 with this Coupon
Clip this coupon to save $8.00 on this product when you buy from Amazon.com.

[quote name='Rave Child']I'm really confused by this. Where would I find this coupon? I live in NY, if that makes a difference, although I ship everything to my brother in Massachusetts...[/QUOTE]

I believe, from what I remember reading, that Amazon can't offer these coupons in New York (and a few other places) for some reason, and that if you're logged in with an account with the primary address there, the coupon won't show up on the page. I'm not certain, though -- maybe someone from New York can confirm?

[quote name='arcane93']I believe, from what I remember reading, that Amazon can't offer these coupons in New York (and a few other places) for some reason, and that if you're logged in with an account with the primary address there, the coupon won't show up on the page. I'm not certain, though -- maybe someone from New York can confirm?[/QUOTE]See below:

[quote name='jp2']Has anyone in NY received an email with promo-code to match the $8 coupon?

Amazon did this with Tron, BATB, and Lion King to compensate NY'ers excluded from coupons... but have heard noting thus-far for Dumbo.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Arakias']^ Its on the product page, just underneath "want to receive this the day it comes out?"

Save $8.00 with this Coupon
Clip this coupon to save $8.00 on this product when you buy from Amazon.com.[/QUOTE]
That definitely doesn't show up for me.
[quote name='arcane93']I believe, from what I remember reading, that Amazon can't offer these coupons in New York (and a few other places) for some reason, and that if you're logged in with an account with the primary address there, the coupon won't show up on the page. I'm not certain, though -- maybe someone from New York can confirm?[/QUOTE]
My primary address is in New York, so I guess I can confirm this. That's too bad, I guess I'll wait for a sale elsewhere with the Disney coupon :cry:

Fox and the hound on Blu was originally scheduled for the september spot so i thought there might be a buy both save $10 offer at one of the stores, but it lookes like Fox and the Hound got bumped up to august.

looks like amazon didn't include NY residents with an email promo code for dumbo... fox & hound remains to be seen.

[quote name='FactionG']Amazon rarely fails me. My order from last week changed to reflect the current $16.99.[/QUOTE]

Yep, just checked mine got adjusted too.

[quote name='Cuplix']Fox and the hound on Blu was originally scheduled for the september spot so i thought there might be a buy both save $10 offer at one of the stores, but it lookes like Fox and the Hound got bumped up to august.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, August 9th. I'm surprised that Amazon has done a coupon for Dumbo in September already, but hasn't done a coupon for it yet.

bread's done
Back