$80 Credit when you trade PS2 toward PS3 @ GS

mang9432

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
I searched and could find this anywhere here, but i stumbled upon this while i was trying to buy a MGS 80 Gig Bundle yesterday.

"Trade in your PS2 with a memory card and 2nd controller and receive $80 trade in credit toward a new PS3. "

Expires: 06/29/2008. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. PS3 hardware subject to availability by location. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers.

links to gs site don't work, just click on "trade-in values" on the lower left of page.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good deal, as it's close to double what they'd give you normally. I plan on taking advantage of it if i can find a Metal Gear Bundle in stock at a gametop in the next 2 weeks, as i was planning on unloading my ps2 anyway.

You can find the info on the "Trade-In Values" page on GS.com. Unfortunately, their site and the referral links simply don't jive.

Anyway, not a bad deal. This is how I got my PS3, but this was back in January of '07, and I got $100.

Lol... in the next two weeks...

Sorry to say buddy but yesterday was GameStops one and only shipment of those bundles. No more are comin

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Lol... in the next two weeks...

Sorry to say buddy but yesterday was GameStops one and only shipment of those bundles. No more are comin[/quote]

You sure about that? I thought the MGS 80G bundle was supposed to be a longer term thing. Like the Motorstorm bundle.

Sorry to say buddy but yesterday was GameStops one and only shipment of those bundles. No more are comin[/QUOTE]

where did you hear that? a few gamestops i called said they thought were getting more in, but they didn't know exactly when. i would have went at midnight on wed if i knew it was that limited. it's a little confusing to me if it is. doesn't sony want people to buy ps3's?

Sorry to say buddy but yesterday was GameStops one and only shipment of those bundles. No more are comin[/quote]

What are you talking about? That's like the new PS3 bundle. Other retail stores have it as well. It wasn't a one time thing.

The only bundle that was limited was the Gun-metal PS3 with MGS4. The normal 80GB PS3 bundle with MGS4 is exactly what an earlier poster said: just like the motorstorm bundle.

Anyways, back on topic... so, does anyone know if we can take in multiple PS3's or not to take advantage of this deal?

[quote name='InFlames215']The only bundle that was limited was the Gun-metal PS3 with MGS4. The normal 80GB PS3 bundle with MGS4 is exactly what an earlier poster said: just like the motorstorm bundle.

Anyways, back on topic... so, does anyone know if we can take in multiple PS3's or not to take advantage of this deal?[/quote]

I assume you meant multiple PS2's. It depends on the store manager really. I could only trade in two of the same game, so really I'd try and see, but you may have to go to another store to sell the second one.

My question is, do you have to buy the PS3 right then and there, or can you add the credit towards your EDGE card and earmark it for a PS3? I imagine they aren't that sophisticated, but if they don't have a PS3 in stock, what can they do right?

I was under the impression that the MGS4 80GB bundle was going to be the new SKU for quite some time. Do those that said it was limited have any links about that? I'm curious.

If I trade in a PS2 for the PS3. Would the credit be restricted only to the PS3 system? Like say they never get in new shipments (happens at my local one), does that mean I would have to wait forever until they finally get one? [Trying to get a system for friend's bday]

If I trade in a PS2 for the PS3. Would the credit be restricted only to the PS3 system? Like say they never get in new shipments (happens at my local one), does that mean I would have to wait forever until they finally get one? [Trying to get a system for friend's bday]

Yes, the credit is ONLY for the PS3. Otherwise you will probably get regular trade-in value if you want to use it for something else.

That could be a good deal if you can trade in 2 or more PS2 towards a PS3. Sometimes you can find pretty cheap working PS2's on craigslist.

[quote name='vkyosho']Yes, the credit is ONLY for the PS3. Otherwise you will probably get regular trade-in value if you want to use it for something else.[/QUOTE]

correct, the computer will only give you the 80 dollar credit if there is a new ps3 rung up with the trade-in.

i just wish i knew when they will get more in stock.

I saw this deal while perusing several GameStops too, and I was wondering: is it worth it?

[quote name='Strife025']That could be a good deal if you can trade in 2 or more PS2 towards a PS3. Sometimes you can find pretty cheap working PS2's on craigslist.[/quote]

I was thinking the same exact thing. Also, do the memory cards and controllers have to be FIRST PARTY?

Also, can someone else confirm that the $80 credit is ONLY towards the PS3? If it was regular trade in value that'd be pretty nice... but how could they even specify that it's only for the PS3? Put a note on your account?

[quote name='drgnasdt']I saw this deal while perusing several GameStops too, and I was wondering: is it worth it?

I was thinking the same exact thing. Also, do the memory cards and controllers have to be FIRST PARTY?[/QUOTE]
i had a 3rd party memory card and they didn't say anything, so i assume it would be fine for controllers too.

[quote name='drgnasdt']
Also, can someone else confirm that the $80 credit is ONLY towards the PS3? If it was regular trade in value that'd be pretty nice... but how could they even specify that it's only for the PS3? Put a note on your account?[/QUOTE]

i can confirm it's only for the ps3. i tried to do it with even a used ps3, and the system would only give me the usual trade-in for the ps2 ($40). So you have to do the trade-in and ps3 purchase on the same receipt to get the 80 dollars.

[quote name='mang9432']i had a 3rd party memory card and they didn't say anything, so i assume it would be fine for controllers too.

i can confirm it's only for the ps3. i tried to do it with even a used ps3, and the system would only give me the usual trade-in for the ps2 ($40). So you have to do the trade-in and ps3 purchase on the same receipt to get the 80 dollars.[/QUOTE]

but if you buy the ps3, then return it, you may then have the $80 credit to work with

bread's done
Back