80 Gig PS3 now offical ^__^

no idea, but damn only 556 bones for PS3 with 80 gig is not bad. Maybe SONY might drop the price of 60 gig. in the US

[quote name='nonggame']no idea, but damn only 556 bones for PS3 with 80 gig is not bad. Maybe SONY might drop the price of 60 gig. in the US[/QUOTE]

Probably not. With the exchange rate it works out to $556, but you can't really compare it like that. Would be better to see how this price relates to the 60GB or 20GB.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You can already put any size 2.5" HDD in it.[/quote]

Well, I read that one of the updates has it limited to a certain number (think at least 250GB). But yeh... The HD shouldn't be a reason why you pick a certain version. I got the 60GB for the wi-fi and memory adapters (yes I use them :) ) and use a USB HD instead of opening it up myself to add more memory.

New Info.
It looks like Koren PS3 won't come with EE chip. Well If Sony drop the price of PS3 to 500 bones but without EE chip. in US. What do you think ? Good move ? or bad ?

[quote name='nonggame']New Info.
It looks like Koren PS3 won't come with EE chip. Well If Sony drop the price of PS3 to 500 bones but without EE chip. in US. What do you think ? Good move ? or bad ?[/quote]

Dropping the price or removing the EE chip? Both?

I personally don't see a price drop coming until maybe next year but if they do, I guess it would be alright. Mainly for whiners who could have been saving up the $100 gap that is keeping them back by the time the drop comes (if your suggesting it is soon). Sony has to much going on for it throughout the rest of the year, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the drop any time soon... I don't see this new SKU as any kind of sign that the price of any of the SKU's will dip below $500.

Removing the EE chip, I don't care about. But I guess that helps others who want to "save" money. As long as the games work, and the patches come along quickly then I don't care that it is gone. Plus I already have my system. :)

Instead of a price drop, what I see that this signals is that Sony has big plans for the HD. To me, it looks like they are gearing up for the downloadable movies/music along with the full games that are downloaded the the HD (Socom and Warhawk are surely going to eat a lot of space...). That is what I think people should be focusing and not reading "lower price" out of this but I guess I can see where that comes from.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

a 80GB at an even higher cost is probably a strategy for Sony to cut losses even further.
Only dumb consumers would be excited about this.

[quote name='Zoglog']zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

a 80GB at an even higher cost is probably a strategy for Sony to cut losses even further.
Only dumb consumers would be excited about this.[/quote]

higher cost? wtf its almost $50 cheaper than US 60gb.

I think this does mean a price drop at least during the fall for the ps3 since they are already getting cheaper to manufacture.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You can already put any size 2.5" HDD in it.[/quote]

is this still true for the 20gb version.. iwas going to get a bigger hd but i read somewhere that you cant swap it on the 20gb..

ive been to lazy to try

[quote name='Zoglog']zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only dumb consumers would be excited about this.[/quote]

If its white. I am damn well excited.

Nice to see Sony trying to do something to offset the potential backlash of removing the EE to cut costs. Not a huge deal, but it's an understandble good will move.

[quote name='guyver2077']is this still true for the 20gb version.. iwas going to get a bigger hd but i read somewhere that you cant swap it on the 20gb..

ive been to lazy to try[/quote]
Pretty sure you can... haven't read that you couldn't. Only thing I saw is that there might be a limit on how large the HD can be at one time (think 250GB). I'd look it up some more, but really the HD space shouldn't be the main reason anyone buys a certain model because adding more is easy (either via replacing the HD or some kind of USB connected memory).

No 80 in Europe... "for now."

That 80GB PS3? Not coming to Europe. At least, not anytime soon. SCEE have already come out and commented, even.

At this moment in time, there are no plans to introduce the 80GB version of PlayStation 3 in Europe.

Of course, take that for what you will. It's already past that moment, so maybe now they do have plans. Who knows. All I do know is, for now, that 80GB model is a Korean exclusive. And will be, for so long as it takes for Sony to announce it for everywhere else. Then, they can cut the price on the 60GB model and save some face.

[quote name='panasonic']higher cost? wtf its almost $50 cheaper than US 60gb.

I think this does mean a price drop at least during the fall for the ps3 since they are already getting cheaper to manufacture.[/QUOTE]

that's the Korean Price. If you forgot already, the PS3 launched cheaper in Asia to start with and more expensive in Europe. Region Pricing is not directly comparable with the exchange rate.

Here's my predictions on the matter. This is probably related to Sony Phasing out the 20GB in the USA. Basically they'll offer the 60GB at a lower price, probably $549 and offer the 80GB at $599. In doing so they'll be able to keep the losses about the same as the 20GB and claim a price cut.

bread's done
Back