80GB BC fat PS3 just went ylod - what to do?

dickybeans

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
My 2 yr old 80GB BC MGS4 fat PS3 just went ylod last night. Being out of warranty, I spent the rest of the night and this morning weighing my options. I definitely want to replace it with a slim PS3. I played pretty much all of the PS2 games I wanted on this machine, so I'm fine with losing backwards compatibility at this point.

I have everything original, including the MGS4 bundle retail box. The warranty seal is also intact, as I've never been under the hood.

My options at this point seem to be:

1. sell as is - similar 80GB BC units have gome for $125 - $150 on eBay.

2. Pay ~$70 to have it repaired using the reflow fix through a 3rd party and then trade in to Gamestop using the rumored $200 TIV starting on Monday.

3. work some kind of deal on CAG - this would be ideal as I can ask a lower price (paypal and/or trade) than I'd charge on eBay due to the fee savings. plus I'd have a better chance of having my stuck game (Valkyria Chronicles) and save data returned to me.

Any suggestions on how I go about turning my ylod BC fat PS3 into a slim PS3 with the least amount of $$$ out of pocket?

Thanks.

[quote name='dickybeans']My 2 yr old 80GB BC MGS4 fat PS3 just went ylod last night. Being out of warranty, I spent the rest of the night and this morning weighing my options. I definitely want to replace it with a slim PS3. I played pretty much all of the PS2 games I wanted on this machine, so I'm fine with losing backwards compatibility at this point.

I have everything original, including the MGS4 bundle retail box. The warranty seal is also intact, as I've never been under the hood.

My options at this point seem to be:

1. sell as is - similar 80GB BC units have gome for $125 - $150 on eBay.

2. Pay ~$70 to have it repaired using the reflow fix through a 3rd party and then trade in to Gamestop using the rumored $200 TIV starting on Monday.

3. work some kind of deal on CAG - this would be ideal as I can ask a lower price (paypal and/or trade) than I'd charge on eBay due to the fee savings. plus I'd have a better chance of having my stuck game (Valkyria Chronicles) and save data returned to me.

Any suggestions on how I go about turning my ylod BC fat PS3 into a slim PS3 with the least amount of $$$ out of pocket?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I sold my 60GB BC PS3 on craigslist after the graphics started flickering on certain games. If I were you, I'd get it fixed and then attempt to sell it on craigslist for max profit. Aren't the BC's still worth a ton, or did the price recently drop?

If you can find a CAG willing to buy it for a price you deem fair then I'd say that would be your best route since it involves the least amount of work. I forget how much I got for mine on craigslist, but I was happy with the deal and it ended up costing very little out of pocket for my 250GB slim.

bread's done
Back