8GB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo

Woo hoo, $1000 for some extra space on your PSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hmm, let's see, new HDTV...or the ability to play a couple extra shitty quality "South Parks" on a long car trip?"

(that being said, I would probably pay $100 for this)

At the current rate of price drops, 4GB cards should be around $100 this Xmas, so the 8GB could be down to $400 by that point. Once the 65 nm Flash chips are in mass production the 8GB will drop like a stone to under $100. Possibly as soon as late 2007. It would have seemed crazy at the time of the PSP launch but it won't be long before retailers down't bother with anything smaller than 1 GB. Around that time Sony should start getting serious about online sales of PSP games, such as PS1 titles under emulation. Once everybody can afford a gig of Memory Stick space there is all sorts of added potential for how they sell PSP stuff. Something like XBLA is pretty likely.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Woo hoo, $1000 for some extra space on your PSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hmm, let's see, new HDTV...or the ability to play a couple extra shitty quality "South Parks" on a long car trip?"

(that being said, I would probably pay $100 for this)[/QUOTE]Most of us wouldn't even consider getting that. Well, the price will drop after a while though, like it has already been said.

Considering right now the PSP can only handle 4gb max, i wouldnt buy it yet. But honestly, you can get 5, 4gig sticks for less than that, so why even bother. These'll definately go down once Sony starts putting out the MS Micro (which is 1/4 the size of the Pro Duo [comes with adapter], and has sizes up to 32gigs)

Kinda wierd that theyre already coming out with these, Sandisk has yet to release all of their 4 gig sticks. I also cant find anything on Sandisk's site.

[quote name='Bezerker']Considering right now the PSP can only handle 4gb max, i wouldnt buy it yet. But honestly, you can get 5, 4gig sticks for less than that, so why even bother. These'll definately go down once Sony starts putting out the MS Micro (which is 1/4 the size of the Pro Duo [comes with adapter], and has sizes up to 32gigs)

Kinda wierd that theyre already coming out with these, Sandisk has yet to release all of their 4 gig sticks. I also cant find anything on Sandisk's site.[/QUOTE]

Yeah with the 32=Dish Pocket and SHITTY iPod Video death. ;-)

[quote name='Bezerker']Considering right now the PSP can only handle 4gb max, i wouldnt buy it yet. But honestly, you can get 5, 4gig sticks for less than that, so why even bother. These'll definately go down once Sony starts putting out the MS Micro (which is 1/4 the size of the Pro Duo [comes with adapter], and has sizes up to 32gigs)

Kinda wierd that theyre already coming out with these, Sandisk has yet to release all of their 4 gig sticks. I also cant find anything on Sandisk's site.[/QUOTE]

The 4GB capacity limit isn't a limit of the Memory Stick spec itself, which Sony has given as 32 GB, and the PSP shouldn't physically have a problem. I suspect it is more a matter of maxxing out the pseudo-disk format being used. So a firmware update may do the trick, as it did for many a PC motherboard BIOS.

The early Memory Stick spec (before Pro) had some serious limitations and Sony had a version called Memory Stick Select for a while that allowed the user to switch between two or four banks of 128 MB. This could be revived for handling multiple 4 GB banks on a card in the PSP.

What i meant is that all you can currently use is the 4gb of space max. People have tried to put in 6gigs of cf/ms cards but only 4 would show up. Once sony comes out with the 8gig+ sticks the firmware will probably be updated to allow the extra space.

[quote name='Bezerker']What i meant is that all you can currently use is the 4gb of space max. People have tried to put in 6gigs of cf/ms cards but only 4 would show up. Once sony comes out with the 8gig+ sticks the firmware will probably be updated to allow the extra space.[/QUOTE]

That was my take, too. It's very hard to test against capacities that don't yet exist on the market and a waste of time as well since none of your customers will be affected any time soon. THere will likely be an engineering revision for cost reduction of the PSP before 8 GB sticks reach the prices that make them interesting to the average PSP user. Besides, Sony loves having a reason for a firmware update.

Which gets me thinking about a 65 nm version of the PSP chipset. Depending on disk access in a game it could double battery life, or allow the PSP to run closer to its full speed more frequently.

bread's done
Back