9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors Official Thread

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Son of a bitch. I had a long post written up and for some reason, my computer thought it would be a great idea to go back a browser page, so I lost everything. Stupid ass work computer and Vista.

Here is a quick summary of the game from Wiki:
Junpei, a normal college student, suddenly finds himself along with eight other strangers involved in a deadly conspiracy he could never have imagined. He wakes aboard an old cruise liner. Dazed and confused, he stumbles around the room he finds himself in, trying desperately to remember how he got there. The first thing he notices is a number, scrawled across the door… A bright red number 5. As Junpei’s memory returns, his mind is filled with the image of a mysterious figure in a gas mask, and their haunting words: “You are going to participate in a game. The Nonary Game. It is a game…where you will put your life on the line.”

So here is the NeoGaf thread on this game that has a ton of great info on the story, characters, as well as pics and videos.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412827

You can play a demo of the game at the game's official website. It is a modified version (mostly story/dialogue-wise, not the actual puzzle) of the first puzzle in the game:
http://www.aksysgames.com/999/

Basically this game is a visual novel with some puzzles in between the large amounts of dialogue. The translation is excellent and the story and characters are well-developed and engrossing. The puzzles are not too hard, but not cakewalks either. Most of the game time is taken up by the visual novel part, however, and there are choices you can make that lead to one of six endings. You can replay the game to get more endings, and after you beat the game once you can skip dialogue and scenes you've already seen so you can get to the new endings that much quicker.

This game is awesome and I highly recommend it to everyone except for people who can't stand a lot of dialogue in their games (even if it is fucking awesome). Fans of the Ace Attorney series should definitely enjoy it, though this is obviously a lot more mature and macabre. If you don't believe me, Destructoid gave it a 10/10 and Nintendo Power gave it a 9/10.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will answer them. I hate to sound like a PR shill, cause I'm not, but there seems to be very little awareness of this game on these boards and so I tried to explain the game enough for newbs to get interested. Did anyone else get this game? It is the first new release since like P3P that I've actually liked, and that was a remake.

Heard about it on the release date, ordered it the next day. The Aksys games store is selling the Gamestop pre-order bonus watch for free with $5 shipping for anyone interested.

Can you enlighten on why it got an "M" rating... descriptions or graphics? Considering this as a gift, but "M" games are usually frowned upon.

(I will be getting this for myself, but no real time to play thru it until over Christmas break and I will have to make the gift decision before that so I would like some insight before then.)

[quote name='2DMention']Played the demo and thought the puzzle was difficult. Good game, but I think I'd have trouble with the puzzles.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the hardest puzzle I've run into thus far. Personally didn't find it that difficult though.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Can you enlighten on why it got an "M" rating... descriptions or graphics? Considering this as a gift, but "M" games are usually frowned upon.

(I will be getting this for myself, but no real time to play thru it until over Christmas break and I will have to make the gift decision before that so I would like some insight before then.)[/QUOTE]

Descriptions. Not really any pics from what I've seen. Like one guy dies, you see blood, but that's it. They do do a detailed, graphic description of his mutilated body though. Also, they say fuck and crap a lot. Swears+descriptions of mutilated dead bodies=M rating

Okay, thanks. (Sounds like a lot of the early "R" movies I remember... It was almost like they added unnecessary stuff a bit over-the-top because they didn't want a PG rating [pre-PG13].)

Want this game
will pick it up after black friday goodness
maybe it will be on sale
tempted to get it as the buy 1 get 50% deal

The Destructoid review put it on my radar, but it seemed kind of wrong that the reviewer had never played a visual novel before. I'll probably pick it up either when it gets cheap or when it starts disappearing from stores.

[quote name='keithp']You had me at "Junpei".....[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='pete5883']The Destructoid review put it on my radar, but it seemed kind of wrong that the reviewer had never played a visual novel before.[/QUOTE]
That's how good it is.

Oh god, I am nearing the end of my first playthrough and the villain reveal is just like a Phoenix Wright game, with the breakdown and sprite change. :rofl:

The novel was fun, but it was a quick read. I didn't have trouble with any of the puzzles, at least not to the point where I had to consult a faq (which I did often with the Phoenix Wright games). All in all, it took about 20 hours to get all six endings. The nice thing about going for the other endings is you can fast forward the text for subsequent playthroughs and it will stop fast-forwarding when new text comes up, plus it will grey out game choices you've made in previous runs.

As for the 'M' rating, there is a lot of blood splatters and upwards of 30 - 40 'f-bombs' throughout the text. Most of those felt out of place, like they were trying to make the game gritty. The attempted humor in the game felt flat and out of place as well.

Having finished it, I don't see myself going back to it in the future.

I'm first in line for this one from Goozex, and I can't wait. I really enjoyed the demo, and I'm a huge fan of interactive novels on the DS. I've nearly played them all.

I just started the game. And it's interesting not far along enough to make a judgment call just yet.
On another note the watch is freaking awesome. When I pre ordered it I was just expecting a cheap plastic thing. But it's actually made of metal and has a nice weight to it. Just a heads up for anyone wondering.

I've been playing this the last two days and is several hours in. I'm really enjoying this since I love both visual novels and the type of puzzles in the game.

I think the best way to describe this game is a combination of visual novel and the "Escape the Room" puzzles (google Crimson Room). I find the puzzles for now in the game are easier than the flash games online (and also easier than the Phoenix Wright ones).

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']On another note the watch is freaking awesome. When I pre ordered it I was just expecting a cheap plastic thing. But it's actually made of metal and has a nice weight to it. Just a heads up for anyone wondering.[/QUOTE]

That's quite the surprise! Glad the bonus turned out so well.

[quote name='thelonepig']The novel was fun, but it was a quick read. I didn't have trouble with any of the puzzles, at least not to the point where I had to consult a faq (which I did often with the Phoenix Wright games). All in all, it took about 20 hours to get all six endings. The nice thing about going for the other endings is you can fast forward the text for subsequent playthroughs and it will stop fast-forwarding when new text comes up, plus it will grey out game choices you've made in previous runs.

As for the 'M' rating, there is a lot of blood splatters and upwards of 30 - 40 'f-bombs' throughout the text. Most of those felt out of place, like they were trying to make the game gritty. The attempted humor in the game felt flat and out of place as well.

Having finished it, I don't see myself going back to it in the future.[/QUOTE]

I see what may be your copy on Amazon Marketplace. :lol:

Got all six endings myself, the last two today. I really enjoyed it but it was a bit more supernatural than I would have liked, especially since the premise itself seemed moderately realistic enough. Definitely worth getting. I liked how even the bad endings added to the story and your understanding of the characters. There's basically zero replay value after getting all the endings, but you need to go through the game at least five times to see everything, so it does give you pretty good bang for your buck.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I see what may be your copy on Amazon Marketplace. :lol:

Got all six endings myself, the last two today. I really enjoyed it but it was a bit more supernatural than I would have liked, especially since the premise itself seemed moderately realistic enough. Definitely worth getting. I liked how even the bad endings added to the story and your understanding of the characters. There's basically zero replay value after getting all the endings, but you need to go through the game at least five times to see everything, so it does give you pretty good bang for your buck.[/QUOTE]

Oh, my copy is up just about everywhere at the moment. :lol:

I got one of the bad endings today, and now I'm going through it again. I'm hoping to get the best/true ending either in this or the next playthrough.

Is there a walkthrough (spoiler-free maybe?) or a roadmap of the game? It will be beneficial because I don't know how many more times I want to keep playing to get the best ending.

[quote name='Over easy']I got one of the bad endings today, and now I'm going through it again. I'm hoping to get the best/true ending either in this or the next playthrough.

Is there a walkthrough (spoiler-free maybe?) or a roadmap of the game? It will be beneficial because I don't know how many more times I want to keep playing to get the best ending.[/QUOTE]

I found one a few days ago... lemme see if I can track it down again.

EDIT: Aaannd... found it. http://unsymmetry.net/999.txt

You may need to move into Japanese Character Encoding, but it's there. The short answer is
Door 4: Take the bookmark from Santa. Talk to June about Ice9. Door 7: Talk to Seven about AllIce and give the bookmark to Clover. Door 1: Talk to Clover about the Captain's corpse (I think this is triggered by looking at the monitors in the captain's room.) And... true ending. But ONLY if you already got the Safe ending.
. And save often so if you accidentally miss one of the dialogue moments you don't have to start at the beginning again.

Also, you have to get the Safe ending in order to get the True ending. The Safe ending is
Door 5, 8, then 6.

[quote name='thelonepig']I found one a few days ago... lemme see if I can track it down again.

EDIT: Aaannd... found it. http://unsymmetry.net/999.txt

You may need to move into Japanese Character Encoding, but it's there. The short answer is
Door 4: Take the bookmark from Santa. Talk to June about Ice9. Door 7: Talk to Seven about AllIce and give the bookmark to Clover. Door 1: Talk to Clover about the Captain's corpse (I think this is triggered by looking at the monitors in the captain's room.) And... true ending. But ONLY if you already got the Safe ending.
. And save often so if you accidentally miss one of the dialogue moments you don't have to start at the beginning again.

Also, you have to get the Safe ending in order to get the True ending. The Safe ending is
Door 5, 8, then 6.
[/QUOTE]

Oooh, thanks for the link. It looks like I'm half way through to the safe ending by choosing all the opposite choices I had in my first play through. This should save me a lot of trouble.

I've finished all the endings besides the true ending over the past few days. I really wanted to see the true ending last night, but it was after 2 and I have work today. So tonight I'll be finishing this up. I'm really liking the story so far, this is definitely my favorite ds game that I've played.

When
Snake gets shot towards the end of the "safe" ending
did anyone else think
Snake? Snake! Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkee!!!!
?

After what feels like an awful long time, I finally sold my copy on Amazon for more than I paid for it. :whee:

It was crazy how many folks were interested here, but it's always a very passive interest that usually doesn't get a follow-up PM or response. :(

So it seems this game has a choice->ending system... Is the only difference that occurs when you make a choice what the final scene of the game is? Or do the choices you make lead to wholy different scenarios inside the game?

Basically, I wanna know if I can just play it through once doing w/e I want and then watch the endings on Youtube or if I should play it through once doing w/e I want and then follow some set paths for the whole experience?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']So it seems this game has a choice->ending system... Is the only difference that occurs when you make a choice what the final scene of the game is? Or do the choices you make lead to wholy different scenarios inside the game?

Basically, I wanna know if I can just play it through once doing w/e I want and then watch the endings on Youtube or if I should play it through once doing w/e I want and then follow some set paths for the whole experience?[/QUOTE]

You'll have to play through at least five separate times to get all of the endings. There are six endings total, but the True ending and the Coffin ending can be obtained at the same time.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']So it seems this game has a choice->ending system... Is the only difference that occurs when you make a choice what the final scene of the game is? Or do the choices you make lead to wholy different scenarios inside the game?

Basically, I wanna know if I can just play it through once doing w/e I want and then watch the endings on Youtube or if I should play it through once doing w/e I want and then follow some set paths for the whole experience?[/QUOTE]

You have 9 different doors. You only go through 3-4 of them in any given playthrough. To see all the doors and puzzles you need to go through the game at least 3 times. Plus the dialogue is different with each path, not just the final scene (for the most part). As thelonepig said you need to play the game at least 5 times to see all the endings.

I've been playing the game a lot the past three days, and I've really been enjoying it. As far as interactive novels on the DS go, this one is definitely among the best.

I'm still in my first playthrough. I'm intriged to possibly play through more than once to see all the puzzles, but it will just depend on how things end up.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I've been playing the game a lot the past three days, and I've really been enjoying it. As far as interactive novels on the DS go, this one is definitely among the best.

I'm still in my first playthrough. I'm intriged to possibly play through more than once to see all the puzzles, but it will just depend on how things end up.[/QUOTE]

Well you need to play through at least twice to get the true ending and to actually understand what is going on in the game.

[quote name='willardhaven']It was just a demo but that felt more like following instructions than "solving."[/QUOTE]

Most of the puzzles in the game are pretty straight forward. If you can't figure it out, the characters will starting giving you pretty obvious clues. I guess it's nice not to get stuck if puzzle is too hard.

Finished the game with the true ending a couple of days ago. This was an awesome game. Hopefully we can get more visual novels on DS here.

While playing this morning before work, I got the bad ending, which is the first ending I've reached. It really surprised me to suddenly find
Junpei was dying, and I kept thinking it couldn't really be happening. But there, with door number 9 finally before me, Junpei was stabbed.

I'll start my second playthrough today. I'll definitely check out the other puzzles and rooms I missed. I imagine the second playthrough should be a whole lot faster, what with being able to skip a lot of dialogue I've heard before.

I played through twice on my own, just picking whichever doors I wanted to. I was able to solve most of the puzzles this way, and got 2 of the different endings. Then I looked up a guide on how to get the other endings, because I just wanted to see the true ending. The nice part is, you can fast forward through dialog that you've already read. This makes subsequent playthroughs go pretty quick. The true ending is DEFINITELY worth it though. I'm still trying to figure out what some of it means...

Got another ending last night, the
submarine ending. I was dumbfounded when all of the people around me were discovered murdered. Seriously, I was like, "You're kidding!" And then, wham, Junpei is stabbed. Again.

Gonna follow thelonepig's suggestion and go for the safe ending now.

[quote name='mickeyp']Where did you guys get this game? I see it on amazon, anywhere else?[/QUOTE]

I picked mine up a week after it came out on Amazon. I think Gamestop has it too.

It just dropped to $31.99 on Amazon, and today was the first day GS listed it in stock at any location near me.

Thanks to thelonepig's post, I got the safe end this morning. It was pretty interesting, but I find myself so
discouraged by the three endings I've gotten now
. Gonna go for the true ending next. I sure hope they get off that ship.

Everyone needs to vote in the 999 character poll:
http://www.aksysgames.com/survey/index.php?sid=25342&lang=en

The Japanese results are being counted down on Siliconera. However, #1 was already posted on NeoGaf.
Loli Clover
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/14/chunsoft-blog-999-japanese-character-ranking-8/

I voted for Snake, my husband voted for Seven. Seven would probably be my second choice, but I dunno, I just enjoyed what Snake brought to the table even though Seven is a more original character.
Blindness, being mistaken for dead, finding him in the coffin, his badass death in the Safe ending, etc

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So why did this get a M rating?[/QUOTE]

Mature themes revolving around murder and death. Highly detailed descriptions of mutilated bodies. Strong language.

Just got the true ending and the coffin ending tonight. I got really tired of the game by the time I was getting the true ending, since I had already gotten three of the other endings. It didn't help that when I was on the final puzzle of the game, the game froze. When you're at the part where you're doing the
sudoku puzzle, after you input all the answers, the boxes begin to light up.
Well, while that was happening, the game froze. Sucked sooo much, as I had to go all the way back to when
they were still trapped in the room with the emblems
, as I hadn't saved since then.

The true ending with the whole
morphogenetic field and June and Akane and time warping and so forth brought more questions than answers. I would have appreciated something not quite so unresolved. My main thing now is, "So was June a ghost? How was she alive now? If she had been saved 9 years ago, why isn't everything peachy? How do Santa and June (Aoi and Akane) not know each other?"
Blah de blah. I guess that's a Japanese game for you.

Flipping it back to Goozex unless some CAGer trades me something for it soon. I like the game enough, but the fact that I couldn't get to the true ending without using a walkthrough is bull.

I was intrigued by the glowing Destructoid review, but turned off when Tony Ponce decided to spoil exactly what happens in the "bad ending". His defense was that it's "obvious". Well, it wasn't obvious to me. I realize he was just excited about the game and wanted to share "what happens" with everyone, but it was bad form.

bread's done
Back