$99 Wii

steve_k

CAGiversary!
I have a HUGE backlog of games with nearly every system except for the Wii. Most of my game time is split between my PS3 and Xbox 360, both of which I have backlogs. I could very well spend the next 3 to 6 months playing games I've bought that I haven't even had a chance to play yet. That being said, I am willing to wait as long as it takes to buy a Wii.

When should I expect the Wii to hit the magical $99 price point? I know it's impossible to provde a definite answer to this question, but it's okay to speculate. As of now, the MSRP of the Wii is $200 (right? please correct me if I am wrong). With the upcoming release of the 3DS, I would take a wild guess that the Wii will be priced at $99 in two to three years. Does this sound like a practical expectation?

At some point, will the Wii store close? I know eventually the PSN, Xbox Live Marketplace, and Wii store will all be obsolete and inaccessible, but is this something to consider when postponing the purchase of an online-capable console?

I don't think the Wii will get to $99 for a long time. Nintendo has 2011 pretty much pegged as the year of the 3DS, so that suggests a 2012 release- at the earliest- for the Wii's successor.

The Wii is still selling over 150,000 units a week.

Counting gift cards, it has been ~$150 already a few times or even cheaper at various scattered deals/clearances. Not really worth not having one for 2 years over a $50 difference IMO.

It's going to be a while. 2013 at the earliest for $99. You pretty much have to wait until either the Wii's successor has been available for a while or the Wii's sales slow to an absolute crawl at lower price points than $200.

It's all speculation at this point.

[quote name='scottman']Counting gift cards, it has been ~$150 already a few times or even cheaper at various scattered deals/clearances. Not really worth not having one for 2 years over a $50 difference IMO.[/QUOTE]

If you count that they're now bundled with Wii Sports Resort/Wii Motion Plus (Or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if you find a red one), there's $50 "value". Plus, Walmart did the $75 gift card late last year, which was a great deal...

My guess is that it hits $150/130 officially around Mother's Day next year. Then $99 on the holiday season of 2014. Of course, these are just guesses.

What state do you live in?

Here in South Carolina I found my wii at the local pawn shop for $99. It was $129 and the guy let me have it for $99.

Give it a shot! Unlike the xbox these are not failure-prone, buying a used wii console doesnt carry much risk IMO

bread's done
Back