__Walmart shoppers: What EXACTLY is their return policy on electronics versus DVD?

strawberryshortcake

CAGiversary!
I know this question has been brought up before, I have searched and it seems to be the same. But I was taken back today by what the cashier and apparently the manager on staff as well stated. So I need your input; a poll of sort.

Walmart shoppers: What EXACTLY is their return policies on electronics versus DVD?

Is it 15 days, 30 days, 45 days, or 90 days?

DVD brand new, factory sealed?

Electronics brand new, factory sealed?

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']I know this question has been brought up before, I have searched and it seems to be the same. But I was taken back today by what the cashier and apparently the manager on staff as well stated. So I need your input; a poll of sort.

Walmart shoppers: What EXACTLY is their return policies on electronics versus DVD?

Is it 15 days, 30 days, 45 days, or 90 days?

DVD brand new, factory sealed?

Electronics brand new, factory sealed?[/quote]

What did they tell you?

[quote name='sp00ge']This is from Walmart.com, but I'm sure it applies to in-store purchases as well:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=538459#37445

DVD's - 90 days
Electronics - 15 days[/quote]

That is exactly what I thought, but....

[quote name='MrDubbs']What did they tell you?[/quote]

15 days for DVDs unopened, yes, she said 15 days. *** I was shocked ***

The cashier said it was an ongoing policy for 6 years already for Walmart stores. The manager on staff was called over and she also said it was 15 days. I am calling 1800 Walmart tomorrow to see what's actually going on.

This was determined to be policy based on her handout.

90 day return policy with the exception of the following:
(i'm using arbitrary letters)

*45 days .... on: .... x products
*30 days .... on: .... z products
*15 days .... on: ..... y products
*unopened DVDs, movies, ...
*tobacoo products
* xy products
* zy products

Basically what they're thinking is that the 15 day bullet point corresponds to all subsequent products listed below (i.e. unopened DVDs, movies,.., tobacco products, xy products, zy products) as opposed to using the initial 90 day return policy statement.

I am highly certain it's a 90 day return policy seeing as how I've never had any issues within that time frame.

EDIT: I must also add that the manager on staff did agree to my returns just this time. She was really nice about it as well. I had a few other titles that still required my decision to keep or not. She said I could just get in touch with her when she was on staff.

Plus these DVD titles were purchased during the holiday rush; I wasn't really sure whether or not I even wanted the titles but was not going to let a good deal slip me by if I actually wanted them post netflix, or youtube clips. I bought them hoping to decide when the holiday fever died down.

A lot of their return policy is also subject to the level of return fraud occurring at that particular store. They give you a lot less hassle at the locations in the "good" part of town -- basically low population middle or upper middle class suburbia versus the ghetto stores -- because there is usually less fraud. If you have a receipt and go to a "good" Wal-Mart they won't give you hassle.

Now, if you are trying to return anything without a receipt it really comes down to the CSR as long as the dollar value is UNDER $50.00. THEY WILL NOT TAKE BACK ANYTHING WITH A DOLLAR VALUE ABOVE THAT LIMIT WITHOUT A RECEIPT! Also, you can only return something three times without a receipt in a six month span and they check this by using your driver's license number.

Hope that helps, and remember, return fraud may not be a prosecutable offense in your jurisdiction but it is a highly unethical and some would even consider immoral practice. And no, I am not implying anything, just reinforcing what the overwhelming majority of CAGs believe and know is true -- we're not SD or FW ;).

-- Alex

i feel it should be 30days unopened

but i remember hearing something about all games and movies being 15days
(likely depends on the CSM you get)

[quote name='alexandertyler']A lot of their return policy is also subject to the level of return fraud occurring at that particular store. They give you a lot less hassle at the locations in the "good" part of town -- basically low population middle or upper middle class suburbia versus the ghetto stores -- because there is usually less fraud. If you have a receipt and go to a "good" Wal-Mart they won't give you hassle.

Now, if you are trying to return anything without a receipt it really comes down to the CSR as long as the dollar value is UNDER $50.00. THEY WILL NOT TAKE BACK ANYTHING WITH A DOLLAR VALUE ABOVE THAT LIMIT WITHOUT A RECEIPT! Also, you can only return something three times without a receipt in a six month span and they check this by using your driver's license number.

Hope that helps, and remember, return fraud may not be a prosecutable offense in your jurisdiction but it is a highly unethical and some would even consider immoral practice. And no, I am not implying anything, just reinforcing what the overwhelming majority of CAGs believe and know is true -- we're not SD or FW ;).

-- Alex[/quote]
Absolutely correct on staying ethically sound. The thing that was strange was that I had my receipts. (I keep all my receipts in an envelop for save keeping if needed.)

It was a simple, by the book, return. (or so I thought). When I presented the receipts that came when I purchased the Walmarrt DVDs....

... I was told by the cashier, it was a 15 day policy. But I'm just glad the manager is willing to work with me. I simply had always figured it was a 90 day return policy. If I was aware of the 15 day window, I would not have waited so long to finally make my decision.

Maybe from now on, I should simply buy IF in fact I really want the product as opposed to going through this type of hassle in the future.

[quote name='Venomus']i feel it should be 30days unopened

but i remember hearing something about all games and movies being 15days
(likely depends on the CSM you get)[/quote]
That's interesting. I would like to know the source if at all possible.

bread's done
Back