A 34 year old casual gamer's 360 story...(read at your own risk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2dk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
A little backstory, I grew up a PC gamer, when friends had Atari 2600, I had a TI-99/4A, then a Commodore 128 and on into PCs (sorry, not an Apple fan either).
I played games on consoles, in college several friends had SNES, played lots of NHL 94 etc. and then some PS1 (very little actually).

I had never experienced the "wow" factor that was console gaming until NFL2K on the Dreamcast (first console I purchased in the "launch window"). I avoided the PS2 and didn't get my Xbox until June of 2004. (Followed soon after by a GC, mainly for my son)

Thanks to deals on CAG (last year's CC $5 games, and primarily Gamerush since) I have been able to purchase every game that I wanted for Xbox. Do to my limited gaming time, having two kids, most of the games I purchased never saw more than 30 minutes of my time. The turnover has been tremendous, if I don't get hooked immediately, it is traded back to GR before the value drops below the $30 I paid for. I don't have time to waste trying to enjoy a game. Other than sports games, the only game I have spent much time with is Halo 2 (although I have had it for nearly a year, I have yet to play the single player game). I have a group of friends that I play with online a couple times a week.

Most recently I have gotten Shattered Union, Spartan Total Warrior, Battlefield 2, and Battlefront 2. All but Battlefield 2 are going back to GR (feel free to make an offer if you are interested in any of the other three:))

(I will bold the rest as it is really all anyone probably wants to read)

I preorderd and paid for my 360 as soon as my GR allowed, in fact I was first on the list. I have been reading a ton of negativity lately regarding the actual in-game graphics at the kiosks. Most I took with a grain of salt as several excuses were made (being just "demos" or the kiosks were set up incorrectly). I happened to be in my local Wal-Mart today, and low and behold, there it was. For some reason the puzzle game was the one on the screen, which would explain why it wasn't being used. I had my 4 and 1 year olds with me so I new my time was limited.

I played COD2, since I have it preordered, for all of two minutes (that is how long I lasted before I died, I was too busy checking out the graphics) then let some kid play. That was all it took. I got the same rush that I got the first time I saw NFL2K. It erased any doubt I might have had about keeping the 360.

The only game that I have for comparison's sake is Battlefield 2. BF2 is a 3rd/4th generation Xbox game (not sure really what constitutes a generation, but it has been nearly 4 years since Halo arrived). The graphics are typical of what we can expect from a combat heavy FPS, it is not the best on the Xbox, but far from the worst.

COD2 blows it away, hands down. If this is what we can expect from a 1st generation launch title, I can't wait so see what is available in a year, let alone 4 years from now. I'll take "ports" like this any day of the week.

Some of you may have had bad "setups" at the kiosks that you checked out, and others just may be expecting way too much. Here is a little test for you, go drop Ghost Recon in your Xbox (My first Xbox game was Ghost Recon:rofl: ) Now drop in Far Cry or SC:CT...notice a difference? That is what experience/time does for programmers. (Wasn't Ghost Recon a "port" as well? Imagine what the COD2 developers will be able to do in a few years)

17 days and counting......

While COD2 didn't impress me in the least (I played the PC demo on my 6800GT powerhouse), you're right. Games on the 360 are going to be friggin incredible in the years to come. And while there isn't a huge gap in graphical polish like there was in the jump from, say, N64 to Cube or PS1 to PS2, it'll show up eventually and it'll kick some serious ass.

[quote name='The VGM']You have 2 kids and you're still playing video games? Time to move on.....[/QUOTE]
Yes because god knows once you procreate you are required to give up any and all enjoyable things in your life and serve your children only. :roll:

Here's hoping VGM never has kids and not because it'll cut into his game time
but because hes an idiot

[quote name='supadupacheap']Yes because god knows once you procreate you are required to give up any and all enjoyable things in your life and serve your children only. :roll:

but because hes an idiot[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Check & mate.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Yes because god knows once you procreate you are required to give up any and all enjoyable things in your life and serve your children only. :roll:

but because hes an idiot[/QUOTE]

No, but it's bad when someones dad plays just as much if not more video games as their kids. If my dad played video games as much as I did, he'd be a loser.

[quote name='The VGM']No, but it's bad when someones dad plays just as much if not more video games as their kids. If my dad played video games as much as I did, he'd be a loser.[/QUOTE]
So how exactly did you come to the determination that he played too much? He took a few minutes in Wal Mart to look at a machine? Wow. Lucky for him he wasnt caught on tape or else hed be in prision for child abuse for sure.
And what is this "more than their kids" crap. I know plenty of guys who play WAY more than their kids. You know why? THE KIDS DONT PLAY GAMES! So 5 minutes a weak and hes playing WAY too much? Um..ok.
Why dont instead of judging people you keep your comments about how other people should raise their kids to yourself? Its obvious to us all theres no child abuse here and youre only making yourself look as stupid as, well, you are.

Wow, GR has affected me the same exact way. Any game that sounded the least bit interesting, I preordered it. And if the games didn't interest me in the first 15 minutes I traded it back to GR or sold it on ebay. The main reason I got into GR was the same CC clearance sale and Electronic Fry's.

I'll probably give 360 games a bit more time if I don't like it right off the bat.

[quote name='supadupacheap']So how exactly did you come to the determination that he played too much? He took a few minutes in Wal Mart to look at a machine? Wow. Lucky for him he wasnt caught on tape or else hed be in prision for child abuse for sure.
And what is this "more than their kids" crap. I know plenty of guys who play WAY more than their kids. You know why? THE KIDS DONT PLAY GAMES! So 5 minutes a weak and hes playing WAY too much? Um..ok.
Why dont instead of judging people you keep your comments about how other people should raise their kids to yourself? Its obvious to us all theres no child abuse here and youre only making yourself look as stupid as, well, you are.[/QUOTE]

Stop babbling. There's nothing wrong with playing around with the demo unit. Child abuse? What the fuck are you talking about? Ok, so your friends' children don't play games. And I care why? When did he ever say he played 5 minutes a "weak"? Then he'd just be wasting money. Again with the child abuse issue, still don't know where you got that from.

The fact is, you're supposed to be buying the systems for your kids when your 30 years old, not yourself.

[quote name='supadupacheap']So how exactly did you come to the determination that he played too much? He took a few minutes in Wal Mart to look at a machine? Wow. Lucky for him he wasnt caught on tape or else hed be in prision for child abuse for sure.
Why dont instead of judging people you keep your comments about how other people should raise their kids to yourself? Its obvious to us all theres no child abuse here and youre only making yourself look as stupid as, well, you are.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jaykrue']:applause:

Check & mate.[/QUOTE]

again

[quote name='The VGM']No, but it's bad when someones dad plays just as much if not more video games as their kids. If my dad played video games as much as I did, he'd be a loser.[/QUOTE]

What does that say about you then? :D

[quote name='bone_matrix']What does that say about you then? :D[/QUOTE]

It says that I play a games for a couple hours everyday.

[quote name='The VGM']It says that I play a games for a couple hours everyday.[/QUOTE]
That makes you a loser since thats 14 hours of gaming a week. You should be out helping your community or doing something more positive with your life. (see how I look just as stupid as you do when I put my own beliefs and ideas on you? ;-) )

You're an idiot. The OP even said they don't have time for many games, did you even read the post? What's so bad about being *gasp* older and playing videogames? Would you rather the OP be out doing drugs or something?

VGM - I gotta side with the other guys on this one - my dad plays Halo 2 with me for a few hours every weekend that I'm home from college and hes 46 - in no way is he a loser.
Chickenhawk also seems like a prety good father and he puts in a few hours of gaming a week. But I do agree that if it comes to the point where you neglect your kids to play games, thats pretty sad. (Not implying that the OP does this just giving a senarioe)

[quote name='joevan']But I do agree that if it comes to the point where you neglect your kids to play games, thats pretty sad. (Not implying that the OP does this just giving a senarioe)[/QUOTE]
Bingo. :applause:
As long as you handle your responsibilities, whatever you chose to do in your spare time (so long as its not illegal) is your own business.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Bingo. :applause:
As long as you handle your responsibilities, whatever you chose to do in your spare time (so long as its not illegal) is your own business.[/QUOTE]

Yea - I think thats what VGM was implying though, I just reworded it.

Does that imply that you're a loser who plays video games too much?

Don't listen to what VGM has to say, he still has to get his mother to drive him down to the store when he wants to buy a game.

[quote name='Scorch']Don't listen to what VGM has to say, he still has to get his mother to drive him down to the store when he wants to buy a game.[/QUOTE]
You really arent helping matters.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']To get back on topic...Doesnt the wow-factor of flashy graphics...wear off eventually?[/QUOTE]

I put in Lumines the other day (after playing it until my thumbs bled at launch) and I was still really impressed. So, maybe? But not for me. SC: Chaos Theory looks damn good, and so does RE4, I'm still wowed each time I play those.

[quote name='The VGM']You have 2 kids and you're still playing video games? Time to move on.....[/QUOTE]

Kinda harsh aren't you? I am in the same situation as the OP. Since I don't have time to be away playing golf like I used to I play videogames because I'm home to be with the family and when I have a few minutes I play Halo or Madden. Since when did having kids mean you had to quit gaming??

well I mean - the previous generation consoles were ahead of their time compared to the level of graphics before that. Think about the U.S. Legend of Zelda(NES) commercial. "Woah, check out those graphics.". So whille they may wow us in the present, in all relativity, we'll get used it, especially when something even better comes along.

[quote name='The VGM']
The fact is, you're supposed to be buying the systems for your kids when your 30 years old, not yourself.[/QUOTE]

That has to be the most idiotic, ignorant statement I've ever read anywhere in these forums. Last time I checked the average age of an Xbox user was about 29 or 30.

I'm now 34, married and have two kids. I too grew up on old school video game consoles (I had a Fairchild, Intellivision, NES, Genesis, etc.) and I own pretty much all of the current consoles and hand held systems with the exception of the PS2.

I probably spend 10 - 12 hours a week playing video games usually after 11:00PM (I'm old enough that I can stay up until 2AM and don't need to ask my parents) or sometimes against my son after I get home from work. That makes me a loser? Am I supposed to suddenly stop playing video games (something I enjoy) because I have kids and am over 30?

At least have some kind of basis for your opinion and don't just throw out verbal diarrhea like that.

PS - There's difference between the words "you're" and "your". You can't interchange those words. Check out a dictionary.

I personally think everything Xbox 360 thus far has been very dissapointing. I do however think it's not going to be another Dreamcast, and that it's actually going to be great over time. Right now though, I just feel that it's not worth it at all. Maybe in January once all the "launch window" games have come out, and people have had a decent amount of time to evaluate the console without all the P.R. crap from Microsoft being repeated over and over will be a better time to look into picking one up.

Alas, I'm not taking my own advice though, and I'll be picking one up at launch because I have no will power, and I sold my Xbox/Gamecube months ago and need another console because the PS2 alone is not cutting it.

[quote name='The VGM']You have 2 kids and you're still playing video games? Time to move on.....[/QUOTE]fuck that shit...i'll stop when my hands are incapicated from arthritis. My guess is that games will be lifesaver when you need to unwind from dealing with young kids.

On topic, I agree with you h2dk. My jaw dropped when I saw Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 at my local EBgames. The game has amazing graphics and is so realistic. When I was at this EBgames, this old guy (around 80 I guess) was there buying games for his grand children. When he saw the demo of CoD2 running on the 360 he started sweating. He told the employee that the graphics are too real and remind him of when he fought in the war.

[quote name='CheapyD']fuck that shit...i'll stop when my hands are incapicated from arthritis. My guess is that games will be lifesaver when you need to unwind from dealing with young kids.[/QUOTE]
On an actual serious note (even though it might not sound like it) I doubt highly that will be an issue in our lifetimes. Controls will be very intuitive and more than likely voice or even thought activated. So fear not cheapy, youre "Game til I die" tatoo is still 100% true.

Sorry to take so long to get back...I had to watch a football game (or am I not allowed to do that either since I have kids;) ) Not that I need to defend my actions, but here it goes: I play Xbox 2-3 times a week long after my kids are in bed. I primarily play with two of my brother-in-laws who are both 40ish with two kids of their own. This is the only time we can get together and play, and even that is difficult as one is a fireman and works 24 hr shifts, and the other works 4AM-3PM.

I didn't have to cut back on family necessities to afford the 360 either, I have/had $800+ in credit at GameRush (thanks CAG). I am in a position where I don't have to decide which next gen console to get, if the (to use an old quote from Peter Moore in the DC days) "piece of shit" 3 impresses me, I'll preorder it as well. (Although, with a 3rd child on the way, my late night gaming time is sure to take a hit)

Besides, what better way to connect with your kids these days than handing them their ass in a game of Mario Party 6...(helps make up for all those times a 14 year old owns me in Halo 2:D )

I am actually thinking of changing my gamertag to yousuck...that's what people tend to refer to me as.

Who wants it with me? I'll take you all on.

I'm not going to comment on everyone's replies, but Scorch, that was bad. At least everyone else made decent replies, but I have no idea how yours is supposed to offend me.

[quote name='Scorch']Don't listen to what VGM has to say, he still has to get his mother to drive him down to the store when he wants to buy a game.[/QUOTE]

Basically you're trying to make me feel bad because I can't drive yet (which you might not even know, because some states let you get your licence at 15). That's bad. I have 60+ years of driving ahead of me. Plus, with gas prices these days I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind a free ride. Think of a better insult next time, that one wasn't Scorch-calibur.

[quote name='mick16']I probably spend 10 - 12 hours a week playing video games usually after 11:00PM (I'm old enough that I can stay up until 2AM and don't need to ask my parents). [/QUOTE]
Wow, that was almost as good as Scorch's insult. Almost.

Am I supposed to suddenly stop playing video games (something I enjoy) because I have kids and am over 30?
Yes. Do it. NOW!

That makes me a loser?
No, but arguing over the internet with a 15 year old does.

[quote name='mick16']PS - There's difference between the words "you're" and "your". You can't interchange those words. Check out a dictionary.[/QUOTE]
Stop reaching.

I want to apologize for fucking up your thread OP, I was just throwing in one of my usual asshole-ish comments and everyone else decided to argue.

P.S. I

[quote name='The VGM']Who wants it with me? I'll take you all on.
[/QUOTE]

You're a pretty crappy troll :[

[quote name='supadupacheap']You really arent helping matters.[/QUOTE]

But it was damn funny!

[quote name='Scahom1']But it was damn funny![/QUOTE]

I was wondering why you found such a bad joke funny, but then I saw that you like Dipset.....

[quote name='The VGM']I was wondering why you found such a bad joke funny, but then I saw that you like Dipset.....[/QUOTE]

....deep

[quote name='civx']....deep[/QUOTE]

I see you like to boost your post count. Perhaps I should direct you to the OTT?

[quote name='The VGM']I see you like to boost your post count. Perhaps I should direct you to the OTT?[/QUOTE]

I dunno man, you're going to have to try harder than that. You're not getting enough attention yet.

Can't believe you guys are feeding the junior troll. When he grows up, some 9th grader will be insulting him for his choice of hobbies im sure. What goes around comes around.

I can't think of a better hobby to do at 12 AM + at night without disturbing the sleeping family. - But I suppose VGM thinks that going to titty bars, getting drunk, and wanking in the computer room would rank higher?
Or I'm guessing its the "In thing" to insult people who are older and more well off then you?
God bless the ignore button.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Can't believe you guys are feeding the junior troll. When he grows up, some 9th grader will be insulting him for his choice of hobbies im sure. What goes around comes around.

I can't think of a better hobby to do at 12 AM + at night without disturbing the sleeping family. - But I suppose VGM thinks that going to titty bars, getting drunk, and wanking in the computer room would rank higher?
Or I'm guessing its the "In thing" to insult people who are older and more well off then you?
God bless the ignore button.[/QUOTE]

You realize you're being a hypocrite, right?

DONT FEED THE TROLLS

WELL VGM YOU MUST NOT HAVE A LIFE BLAH BLAH BLAH

You're just feeding him more bait ;)

VGM -- Isn't it passed your bedtime? (sorry couldn't resist)

[quote name='The VGM']

I want to apologize for fucking up your thread OP, [/QUOTE]

Apology accepted...once you grow some hair on your sack, come back and chat...in the meantime, quit thread crapping

[quote name='vivisection']VGM reminds me of one of the little assholes that ruins Halo 2 when I'm playing late at night over XBox Live.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking

VGM = little kid, doesn't understand anything about real life- will, in all likelyhood in 10 years realize what a retard he was by posting "buy stuff for kids, you must serve your children"

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Can't believe you guys are feeding the junior troll. When he grows up, some 9th grader will be insulting him for his choice of hobbies im sure. What goes around comes around.

God bless the ignore button.[/QUOTE]

Amen, :applause: to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back