A F.E.A.R. Conspiracy...

Tha Xecutioner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok, I decided to make a thread for this whole thing. As I said in the Marketplace thread, I was browsing my Xbox.com friends list when I noticed that controlcommerce from CAG was playing the F.E.A.R. demo. Instantly I open up the 360 forum to see nothing about it mentioned while I sign onto the Marketplace on my 360. After finding nothing in the Marketplace I open his profile on my Xbox 360 Dashboard, and it says that he was playing Street Fighter II HF and not F.E.A.R.

Here's a pic of what I saw:

Now, my questions are:

1. Does this mean that there is some type of beta testing going on for the 360 for F.E.A.R., because, obviously, if they have a F.E.A.R. demo ID tag in their system it has to exist..right?

2. Is the demo possibly coming out soon?

I'd say it's an internal demo with an ID spoofer for those who play on XBox Live so they aren't harassed by fans.

Public demo? I wouldn't expect one until Halloween.. at the earliest.

Or maybe it's just an error.

Man, you guys are gonna love this game. One of the few FPSes that I find worthwhile anymore. Gamespot was saying that the game received a graphical upgrade from the PC version and that it runs smoothly now... if that's the case, I might have to buy the 360 version of this game as well... just hope that somebody comes out with a Fragjoy style solution.

What's stranger is that my name isn't on that list even though we are friends! Now there's a real conspiracy.

[quote name='2Fast']What's stranger is that my name isn't on that list even though we are friends! Now there's a real conspiracy.[/quote]
You must've been online then, he was offline for 4 minutes or w/e it says.

[quote name='controlcommerce']The demo is coming out in next months OXM disc. I got the demo disc early because of where I work. I'll add more details at a later time.[/QUOTE]

ME REALLY WANTEE!!!!!

[quote name='seanr1221']ME REALLY WANTEE!!!!![/quote]

lol .. you can go dl the demo right now on PC .. if your PC can run it ... blah

fucking SWEET! I play few FPS games, but I'm hyped about this game.

Thanks for the info controlcommerce!

I'd imagine that Monolith'll do the same thing that they did with the PC demo -- just take some segments from a bunch of the beginning levels and link 'em together... gives a good overall presentation of the game.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd imagine that Monolith'll do the same thing that they did with the PC demo -- just take some segments from a bunch of the beginning levels and link 'em together... gives a good overall presentation of the game.[/QUOTE]

Plus you don't get a sense of deja vu when you do play the real game, so you're still in for some surprises.

Hopefully the game sells well for the 360, apparently it sold like shit on the PC (which is what Game Informer mentioned two or three times in their preview of the 360 version).

[quote name='danked']lol .. you can go dl the demo right now on PC .. if your PC can run it ... blah[/QUOTE]

My PC phails at Counter-Strike (the original), F.E.A.R. would probably cause it to burst into flames.

I've played the demo as well, I think you guys will really like it. The Demo I played was the first 4 or so levels of the game, unlike the PC demo which was a hodgepodge of the first few levels made into one. Plus there is a new mode called Instant Action which was pretty cool.

There are a few more cool things in the full game, but you'll have to wait until it comes out, can't spoil those for you : x

I run HL2 and HL2 Ep. 1 with everything pushed up high, along with Farcry.. I have to run Fear on high with no antialiasing. It's a damned resource hog, but it's good. Which makes me wonder.. how have they accomplished improvements on the original? The 360 has good system specs and all, but I wonder how they'll pull that off when it takes an upper mid-range PC to play the thing. I know that the 360 isn't handling as many system processes as a PC (such as operating system and whatnot), but FEAR can be a GPU melter.

On a side note, I'm very pleased to see that MS is continuing with the PC port trend that they started on the Xbox. Doom 3 and HL2, although not graphically on part with their PC counterparts, were great ports with what the had to work with. Sid Meyer's Pirates was a good port, and the Jedi Knight games are fun to play on the console as well. For those who are limited by PC specs, the opportunity to have HL2+episodes+Team Fortress and FEAR this fall is a great offering on the 360. Throw that in with the rest of the releases this fall, and it makes me wonder if it'll be too many good releases in a short time frame.

[quote name='Skylander7']I run HL2 and HL2 Ep. 1 with everything pushed up high, along with Farcry.. I have to run Fear on high with no antialiasing. It's a damned resource hog, but it's good. Which makes me wonder.. how have they accomplished improvements on the original? The 360 has good system specs and all, but I wonder how they'll pull that off when it takes an upper mid-range PC to play the thing. I know that the 360 isn't handling as many system processes as a PC (such as operating system and whatnot), but FEAR can be a GPU melter.

On a side note, I'm very pleased to see that MS is continuing with the PC port trend that they started on the Xbox. Doom 3 and HL2, although not graphically on part with their PC counterparts, were great ports with what the had to work with. Sid Meyer's Pirates was a good port, and the Jedi Knight games are fun to play on the console as well. For those who are limited by PC specs, the opportunity to have HL2+episodes+Team Fortress and FEAR this fall is a great offering on the 360. Throw that in with the rest of the releases this fall, and it makes me wonder if it'll be too many good releases in a short time frame.[/quote]

i was barely able to run Half-Life 2...that is how great my PC is...

[quote name='Skylander7']I run HL2 and HL2 Ep. 1 with everything pushed up high, along with Farcry.. I have to run Fear on high with no antialiasing. It's a damned resource hog, but it's good. Which makes me wonder.. how have they accomplished improvements on the original? The 360 has good system specs and all, but I wonder how they'll pull that off when it takes an upper mid-range PC to play the thing. I know that the 360 isn't handling as many system processes as a PC (such as operating system and whatnot), but FEAR can be a GPU melter.

[/QUOTE]

is the 360 really inferior to PCs though, specs wise? I mean, it's got 3 processors...less RAM, but it doesn't need as much RAM. the 360 just seems more efficient all around. I don't know shit about PC vs. 360 so go easy on me with the answer ;)

Supposedly, in the PC version it loads the entire level into RAM when you load it up (which is why it needs a lot of RAM), where the 360 version is coded to stream the levels, so it only has certain parts of it loaded at a time. This helps with the less RAM issue.

Is 360 F.E.A.R. different from the PC one? I've already played through the PC version and loved it, but if it's the same I dont wanna play it again.

[quote name='Apossum']is the 360 really inferior to PCs though, specs wise? I mean, it's got 3 processors...less RAM, but it doesn't need as much RAM. the 360 just seems more efficient all around. I don't know shit about PC vs. 360 so go easy on me with the answer ;)[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the PC, but a 360 isn't having to run all of the processes that a typical PC does. However, you have to think of it in terms of individual components. A 360 may have 3 processors and an ATI GPU (I don't remember the exact ATI chipset used on the 360 unfortunately), but the product updates and performance increases on new graphics cards for PC's is phenomenally fast. If you look at Oblivion for example with a side-by-side comparison of a 360 screen and on a high end PC, you'll see a difference (depending on system settings on the PC version of course). However, it isn't a huge night and day difference with something say a side by side comparison of HL2 on the Xbox and PC. The gap has definitely shrunk with the newer console, but it's still there. New consoles are launched every 4-5 years, whereas bigger and better graphics cards come out almost every quarter.

In terms of PC specs, I really don't know if you can compare the two as they are totally different things (and deem one inferior to the other, as I can't recall a time where gaming performance between PC and game console is as similiar as they are at this particular moment in time) . In terms of hardware they are kind of similiar, but the 360 totally dedicates those components completely to gaming. In a PC, there's alot more going on behind the scenes. Plus.. honestly.. in my opinion, PC game developers tend to make games for a broad range of PC's that will support it, whereas console developers are tasked with maximum utilization of a set platform's potential.

[quote name='Logain8955']Is 360 F.E.A.R. different from the PC one? I've already played through the PC version and loved it, but if it's the same I dont wanna play it again.[/QUOTE]

It is going to be pretty much the same game. FEAR on the PC is coming out with an expansion pack soon so if you are looking for something new, keep an eye on that.

[quote name='Apossum']is the 360 really inferior to PCs though, specs wise? I mean, it's got 3 processors.[/quote]
Technically 3 cores, but that's not the point. The point is compared to PC CPUs, the 360 CPU has it's balls cut off. That's not to say it's bad, but it just doesn't pack the same amount of power. The PS3 will be no different.

I run HL2 and HL2 Ep. 1 with everything pushed up high, along with Farcry.. I have to run Fear on high with no antialiasing. It's a damned resource hog, but it's good. Which makes me wonder.. how have they accomplished improvements on the original? The 360 has good system specs and all, but I wonder how they'll pull that off when it takes an upper mid-range PC to play the thing. I know that the 360 isn't handling as many system processes as a PC (such as operating system and whatnot), but FEAR can be a GPU melter.
My guess is they optimized the code some because I seem to remember hearing while it looked great F.E.A.R. was coded rather sloppily, loading the entire level into RAM aside. Plus, with the specs of every 360 console being the same (minus the hard drive) they can optimize it to the 360s strength. Probably not Monolith themselves, but someone at Vivdendi. It would explain why the 360 version is coming out nearly a full year after the PC version.

[quote name='Stuka']Technically 3 cores, but that's not the point. The point is compared to PC CPUs, the 360 CPU has it's balls cut off. That's not to say it's bad, but it just doesn't pack the same amount of power. The PS3 will be no different.

[/QUOTE]

Remember though, a PC runs a LOT of things in the background. You have an ENTIRE OPERATING SYSTEM to run. The 360 is a GAMING machine. Yes, there may be small things running behind the scenes....but it still holds up rather well.

[quote name='Brak']I like that this made headlines on Xbox360Fanboy.com and QJ.net.

I also like that my gamertag made the headline on QJ.net. I'm fuckin' famous!!! ;)[/quote] Don't forget who made you famous one day when you're signing all those autographs :lol:

edit: I really should have made that red circle a little more straight, but then again I didn't think my sqiggly circle would pop up everywhere

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']edit: I really should have made that red circle a little more straight, but then again I didn't think my sqiggly circle would pop up everywhere[/quote]
:rofl:

I think the reason that when you signed on to Xbox live it said he was playing SF2 was because when the person signs off after playing a demo, I think that xbox.com says what they were Really doing, and the xbox 360 shows the last game they played. Like if someone is on their 360 dashboard.. it will say "Last seen x minutes ago playing xbox 360 dashboard" but if you go on your 360 it will just show what game they played last.

I may be wrong.. but idk.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Don't forget who made you famous one day when you're signing all those autographs :lol:

edit: I really should have made that red circle a little more straight, but then again I didn't think my sqiggly circle would pop up everywhere[/QUOTE]

Well thanks for the fame. ;) People are walking up to me on streets and saying "aren't you that guy on the forums who that other guy posted you were playing the fear demo early."

Edit: I just turned on the X360. I have 20 people that want to be added to my friends list. Fame is a bitch.

[quote name='controlcommerce']Edit: I just turned on the X360. I have 20 people that want to be added to my friends list. Fame is a bitch.[/quote]

[quote name='Brak']I like that this made headlines on Xbox360Fanboy.com and QJ.net.

I also like that my gamertag made the headline on QJ.net. I'm fuckin' famous!!! ;)[/quote]

If only I hadn't been online I'd be on there too. Dammit :bomb:

[quote name='controlcommerce']
Edit: I just turned on the X360. I have 20 people that want to be added to my friends list. Fame is a bitch.[/quote]
sorry about that man

bread's done
Back