A Friend is Going to Japan Soon and Asked Me What I Want...

vicktor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Problem is I have no idea. I have a GBA and DS which are region free, but any games I would want (Mother 3, Ace Attorney Investigations 2) are in Japanese so I have to rule them out. I have a region free DVD and Blu-Ray player but I can not find anywhere that still lists awesome limited edition Blu-Rays and DVDs. I sadly have no idea what to tell her to buy me. So I'm asking for any ideas for GBA or DS games, DVDs, Blu-Rays and whatever else anyone can think of.

I haven't been to Japan since 07' and the one thing I really want is some Manjū. Confections aside, I know it's headed to the States, but I would request the Dynasty Warriors One Piece game.

Ask her to get you one of these:

Mega-Teryaki-Burger.jpg

Windows PC games. Ebay sellers or even pirates don't often have much interest in Japanese ones. Many I'm sure are difficult to find elsewhere.

[quote name='vicktor']Problem is I have no idea. I have a GBA and DS which are region free, but any games I would want (Mother 3, Ace Attorney Investigations 2) are in Japanese so I have to rule them out. I have a region free DVD and Blu-Ray player but I can not find anywhere that still lists awesome limited edition Blu-Rays and DVDs. I sadly have no idea what to tell her to buy me. So I'm asking for any ideas for GBA or DS games, DVDs, Blu-Rays and whatever else anyone can think of.[/QUOTE]

Even if you didn't have a region free blu-ray player, Japan and North America are in the same region (A), so any blu-rays from Japan would work here anyways.

Earthbound figurines. All the Earthbound figurines she can carry. Make a satchel out of the used panties Vinny and Mista U want.

Give her $20 and tell her: "When you see something awesome, buy it for me." That takes the annoying shopping list off of her schedule and can yield surprise results like a newborn Asian baby!

[quote name='gr8asianman']I haven't been to Japan since 07' and the one thing I really want is some Manjū. Confections aside, I know it's headed to the States, but I would request the Dynasty Warriors One Piece game.[/QUOTE]

I'll tell her try some Manjū, the name itself looks tasty. Dynasty Warriors One Piece on the other hand doesn't look so tasty, not really my type of game.

Mega Teriyaki looks...awful.

Windows PC games are an interesting idea, I'll have to look for something. Good idea theclaw!

I've already been told she won't bring back any chicks or the sweet essence of chicks. I assume used panties fall under essence of chicks.

[quote name='pjb16']Even if you didn't have a region free blu-ray player, Japan and North America are in the same region (A), so any blu-rays from Japan would work here anyways.[/QUOTE]

I wrote this way too early in the morning. I know Japan is region A and just kinda shoved it all together. funny enough my DVD is region free, but my Blu-Ray player is not.

[quote name='Strell']Earthbound figurines. All the Earthbound figurines she can carry. Make a satchel out of the used panties Vinny and Mista U want.[/QUOTE]

Earthbound figurines! Strell you are a Genius! Have to tell her to find a few of them!

[quote name='Kerig']Give her $20 and tell her: "When you see something awesome, buy it for me." That takes the annoying shopping list off of her schedule and can yield surprise results like a newborn Asian baby![/QUOTE]

In the 22 years I've know this girl she's given me many birthday gifts, Christmas gifts and random gifts yet she has not given me one gift I've liked. She's a great girl but she has no idea what to buy me. Well...that's not completely true, one year she was broke and got me a bottle of YooHoo for my birthday. I really enjoyed that gift.

So far my list is:
Earthbound figurines
Equilibrium Blu-Ray
Some kind of Robot!

[quote name='Kerig']Give her $20 and tell her: "When you see something awesome, buy it for me." That takes the annoying shopping list off of her schedule and can yield surprise results like a newborn Asian baby![/QUOTE]

Babies go for double that now, demand is high or something

I'm a fan of the Tokusatsu (live-action) heroes like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, so I'd go for a few capsule machine items, especially Sentai/Power Ranger Keys.

Jump-Ultimate Stars? I used to remember walking into Frys' Electronics with copies of those things. But now, no more. :( Looks like an interesting game nonetheless! If you're into anime and stuff, I would totally pick up either the Code Geass or Gundam 00 Blu-Rays; those look so gorgeous!

[quote name='karkyco']And tell her to rub Cheapy's bald head for good luck while she's out there[/QUOTE]
Hopefully the OP will specify which head so she doesn't get confused n have Cheapy's wife pissed off at her.;)
[quote name='vicktor']Mega Teriyaki looks...awful.[/quote]
To you maybe. To me it looks delicious.:drool::drool:
I've already been told she won't bring back any chicks or the sweet essence of chicks. I assume used panties fall under essence of chicks.
Damn. So much for requesting a nubile sex slave to cater to my every whim.:evil:
In the 22 years I've know this girl she's given me many birthday gifts, Christmas gifts and random gifts yet she has not given me one gift I've liked. She's a great girl but she has no idea what to buy me. Well...that's not completely true, one year she was broke and got me a bottle of YooHoo for my birthday. I really enjoyed that gift.
Tell her to give you the one gift that keeps on giving: herpes.;):whistle2:&
Kidding....or am I?
Yeah. I am.

I have been through this quite a few times as I have a friend who frequently visits japan. I would be very specific about what you want, unless your friend specifically knows where to get your requests you are going to have a hard time finding exact items. You should at least provide photos of what you want so you don't get the wrong items. Giving a general category of things could get you who knows what.

When I ask for stuff from my friend I have to provide the location of the items as well as directions to the location, which can be difficult because Japan doesn't use street names that much, there are only very few street signs.

If you have a PS3 you can ask for games as its region free.

The Pokemon center is also a good bet as there are several Pokemon centers in Japan, and you can get some neat things on takeshi doori street in harajuku (that's in Tokyo), but of course it depends on what you want and where your friend is going.

The DVD's, Blu-Ray's and games can be found at a second-hand chain called Book-Off, unless you only want new stuff, and the locations are pretty easy to find, if you are going to Japan chances are you will run into at least one book off on your travels. Keep in mind there might be multiple editions of what you are looking for.

Games are probably pretty easy to find, but you still have to know where to find them, especially if you want good prices. If you want Japanese games you should probably provide a photo, as its going to be hard to pick out one game from hundreds on the shelves if your friend can't read japanese.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Babies go for double that now, demand is high or something[/QUOTE]

The black market demand is high now that there is a miracle drug made of ground up baby remains.

[quote name='GBAstar']The black market demand is high now that there is a miracle drug made of ground up baby remains.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I heard whispers of the Soylent Corporation going into pharmaceuticals, but just passed it off as another Robert Thorn-esque whistleblower starting bullshit. Now I wish I'd bought some stock in the company :(

[quote name='BIskmatar100']Jump-Ultimate Stars? I used to remember walking into Frys' Electronics with copies of those things. But now, no more. :( Looks like an interesting game nonetheless! If you're into anime and stuff, I would totally pick up either the Code Geass or Gundam 00 Blu-Rays; those look so gorgeous![/QUOTE]

I'm not into anime, but Jump-Ultimate Stars looks awesome!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']To you maybe. To me it looks delicious.:drool::drool:[/QUOTE]

That makes me sad :whistle2:(

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn. So much for requesting a nubile sex slave to cater to my every whim.:evil:[/QUOTE]

What do you think I asked for first? :bouncy:

[quote name='SaraAB']The DVD's, Blu-Ray's and games can be found at a second-hand chain called Book-Off, unless you only want new stuff, and the locations are pretty easy to find, if you are going to Japan chances are you will run into at least one book off on your travels. Keep in mind there might be multiple editions of what you are looking for.

Games are probably pretty easy to find, but you still have to know where to find them, especially if you want good prices. If you want Japanese games you should probably provide a photo, as its going to be hard to pick out one game from hundreds on the shelves if your friend can't read japanese.[/QUOTE]

I already thought of showing her pictures, with her track record I figured that to be a must. Not into Pokemon, but thanks for the mentioning Book-Off, sounds like I'll be sending her there for sure. Luckily she'll be with her friend who reads Japanese. I should look around on this here internet and see what kind of places are near where she'll be. After I find out where she'll be.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']A Gundam.....I know they have them damnit![/QUOTE]

But how would you get one through customs?

[quote name='WormFOODx']If I had a friend going I'd be on the lookout for Disgaea figures. That's my poison.[/QUOTE]

Not into Disgaea, but a Prinny would be pretty sweet. I dig Prinny.

Updated list:
Earthbound figurines Not for Strell
Equilibrium Blu-Ray
Some kind of Robot Dog or Panda or Penguin!
Jump-Ultimate Stars
A Gundam!!
Prinny figure
Kill Bill Volume 1 & ALL(Japan)2 Limited Edition Box Sets
Back to the Future 20th Anniversary Box Set
Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Blade Runner Blu Steelbooks would be cool but I think they are amazon.jp exclusives

In my opinion, your best bet for decent prices and selection for anime goods (e.g. figures/posters/models) is Mandarake. Beyond that, you really have to look around for good deals. There are some chains that specialize in used games, but the best deals are found at the independent stores hidden on the 5th+ floor of buildings. Where in Japan is she going to? If she's going to a smaller town, she likely won't have too many choices for used game/anime places. Used music CD stores are all over the place, though.

If she doesn't read Japanese, she'll have a *very* hard time finding anything specific at a game store, especially the smaller ones. Typically, those stores keep cases on end to save space, so you'll need to be able to read the spines (or pull out and look at every single one). Typically, used game places use a rating system between A-E for condition (A being the highest), often with secondary comments to describe things like surface scratches; she'll want to pay attention to these ratings, too. Also, don't expect to see the kinds of prices on used games there as you can often find here. Used current gen games do not typically drop to < Y2000 levels unless they're awful. To find cheaper prices, you'll generally have to go for previous gen games and older (or find those hidden stores, as I mentioned above).

One other thing to consider - the current dollar/yen exchange rate is *terrible*. Count on paying at least 20% more dollars than the listed yen price. (More likely, you'll be paying at least 25% more.) If you're going to ask her to buy you any new stuff, be prepared to give her at least that much more money to go there with.

[quote name='vicktor']

What do you think I asked for first? :bouncy:

But how would you get one through customs?

For gundams they dont need an airport, one way ticket to Japan, fly back in a Gundam. Thats how it all works....lol

[quote name='ssjmichael']Babies go for double that now, demand is high or something[/QUOTE]

Well, much of the baby supply in the region is now going toward the ground up baby pill production which has ramped up. Demand for the pills is up apparently in various parts of SE Asia. :whistle2:#

Truly some of the sickest and most disturbing shit I've read.

[quote name='karkyco']Well, much of the baby supply in the region is now going toward the ground up baby pill production which has ramped up. Demand for the pills is up apparently in various parts of SE Asia. :whistle2:#

Truly some of the sickest and most disturbing shit I've read.[/QUOTE]
I just read about the ground up aborted baby thing the other day myself.

But before that story, THIS one got me really thinking....would I eat one of these?:shock:

http://gizmodo.com/5812276/would-you-eat-a-burger-made-from-poop

anime/manga figures from capsule machines. Lot of pretty beat things to get from capsule machines there. Remember them in Shenmue? Assuming you've played the game.

bread's done
Back