Blue-Ray isn't looking as good now. To be honest, I preferred the black
of
the PS3 to the white of the XBOX360.

Interesting article though:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152081

and he responded in a way that I really know where he is coming from:

In LA there is a radio station I loved more than any other radio
station. I still listen to them occasionally on the net. And like all
radio stations they play little goofy sound-bites, effects, and stuff.
My absolute favorite is this little kid, close to a south park voice but
with more helium saying...

"That's bullshit"

If I'm not allowed to buy used games or rent games, I will NOT buy the
platform. Now, maybe Sony doesn't care about me because I only make a
tiny bit of money every year. But, the thing is, I really don't care
about Sony, either. Can I live a full and happy life without Final
Fantasy XXVII? Pretty sure I can pull it off. Will I be happy plugging
in my Xbox and a used PS2 (someday)? Absolutely. I honestly regret
that my TV, DVD player, and digital camera are made by Sony; though I
did buy them before they turned all evil.

However, if I ever meet a Sony executive on the street I will tell them
to blow me. I promise you that. It's an easy conversation. "Oh, you
work for Sony? That's so cool! Blow me." "Yes, you heard me you
Playstation humping mother-f'er. Blow me." "No, I mean Blow me in the
'Samuel L Motherfucking Man Jackson I'm going to kick your pasty white
ass down the street if you don't' kind of blow me." "Yup, you heard me
motherfucker. Samuel L Jackson just told you to blow me". And then,
hopefully, the executive runs away in fear because I really don't want a
blow job quite that bad.

So, what does all this mean, you ask? Sony blows.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/sjackson.html

Another buddy of mine said:
Don't forget that their announced price point for games will be $59.99+ MSRP. Predictions are pointing towards $69.99+ MSRP.

I'm waiting to hear that Sony has bought out Gamestop/EB and will refuse to carry Xbox360 games.

Come on Sony- give us some hope instead of the shaft. I want my 1080p movies!

I read an article about it in a newspaper yesterday...not informative and I doubt that its sources were all that credible, but, still, it's floating around.

Sure Sony's said this isn't true, but the technology is in place if they ever want to change their minds, which they will.

This was debunked, then 1UP and the LA times run an article (On the SAME unchanged patent, you know, the one with the translation error thanks to our GREAT game journalists), and now everyone is up in arms all over again.

Arg, this shit again?

There are plenty of other, TRUE reasons that the PS3 will suck. There's no need to rely on this debunked shit.

[quote name='whoknows']Sony has said it isn't true...I dont know why people keep bringing it up.[/quote]

Because corporations are always forthright and truthful.:roll:

It's not a dead topic until Sony proves it.

[quote name='neocisco']Because corporations are always forthright and truthful.:roll:[/quote]
But of course they wouldn't lie! :)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']It's not a dead topic until Sony proves it.

But of course they wouldn't lie! :)[/QUOTE]

Burden of proof lies on the rumor starters, that is, Game journalists.

This is just Sony following in Nintendo's footsteps again. In Japan Nintendo managed to exert enough political influence to have retail sales of used games made illegal for a few years until it was successfully challenge.

In the US they tried the same thing and spent millions lobbying to make it illegal for Blockbuster to rent games. If Nintendo could hav ecome up with a scheme to lock games to individual machines they didn't add unreasonable expense, they would have done it.

[quote name='AFStealth']Burden of proof lies on the rumor starters, that is, Game journalists.[/quote]

No it doesn't. Burden of proof unfortunately lies on who it is going to hurt the most. That in this case is Sony. This is a BAD piece of information to have about your system that is coming out soon. It's out there. They need to put it 100% to rest. It is solely on them. There is no burden of proof for the game journalists. It is already out there. If it isn't true, Sony better come out swinging.

Even if this is true, I can't blame them. AFAIK, they're losing a good bit of money off each PS3 and they need a way to stay profitable since they aren't as big as say Micro$ and can't invest in something that "pays off in the long run."

[quote name='Chrono72090']Even if this is true, I can't blame them. AFAIK, they're losing a good bit of money off each PS3 and they need a way to stay profitable since they aren't as big as say Micro$ and can't invest in something that "pays off in the long run."[/quote]

You can't blame them? I can't buy their system. That's ridiculous. Im not paying $600 then another $60 or $70 everytime i want to play a game.

[quote name='chakan']Sure Sony's said this isn't true, but the technology is in place if they ever want to change their minds, which they will.[/QUOTE]

Thats the true part...they will and thats what scares most people...they can flip the switch when they want

I was watching West Wing on Monday and they have this "Business Brief" thing. The main story was how Sony has the pantent to stop games from being rented. I so hope they do it. Die you dumbasses die!

[quote name='Daddy']Thats the true part...they will and thats what scares most people...they can flip the switch when they want[/quote]

Are you implying that they are going to be able to remote activate copy protection that is in place on each unit? Give me some proof please.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Are you implying that they are going to be able to remote activate copy protection that is in place on each unit? Give me some proof please.[/QUOTE]

It's called firmware, kind of like how Sony updates the PSP all the time. Not saying they *will* enable it , only that it's pretty naive to think they don't have a way to update stuff in their system...

[quote name='Metal Boss']Are you implying that they are going to be able to remote activate copy protection that is in place on each unit? Give me some proof please.[/QUOTE]

Its called firmware or update...the system is an "online" product ....if they ever get a LIVE type interface rolling LOL

[quote name='Quackzilla']People seem to think that the sucess of their console depends on their ignorant fanboy bashing of whatever Sony makes.

Get a life.[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it but boards and even bad employees at stores can help make or break systems....its called word of mouth and referrals...both big in any product or sales type arena

saying the "technology is in place" doesn't equate it to being a reality, and I doubt it'll be something they spring up on us the day before launch.

[quote name='Metal Boss']saying the "technology is in place" doesn't equate it to being a reality, and I doubt it'll be something they spring up on us the day before launch.[/QUOTE]

Thats like saying the airbag in your car that doesnt deploy until an accident, isnt really there. Again its in place and can be activated...which it will once the whole security piracy crap starts on the new formats for DVD

[quote name='Daddy']Thats like saying the airbag in your car that doesnt deploy until an accident, isnt really there. Again its in place and can be activated...which it will once the whole security piracy crap starts on the new formats for DVD[/quote]

Are you trying to tell me the anti piracy will activate upon impact? I don't think anybody has enough info about it to be making overblown speculations, this seems like sensationalism over a rumour.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its not going to happen, but if it did I really would not care. I don't buy used games anyway.[/QUOTE]

And then when you need to buy another PS3 because your first one breaks have fun spending $70 on all your games again.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Are you trying to tell me the anti piracy will activate upon impact? I don't think anybody has enough info about it to be making overblown speculations, this seems like sensationalism over a rumour.[/quote]

Call it what you want but it sure isn't doing anything positive for Sony. If it is a rumor they better get their asses out their proving it isn't true because word of mouth on this is very very bad.

[quote name='Daddy']Hate to say it but boards and even bad employees at stores can help make or break systems....its called word of mouth and referrals...both big in any product or sales type arena[/quote]

Exactly. You think it's going to sound good when a soccer mom goes up to a G-stop employee and asks for information about the system? Let's see, you can spend $399 and then have a good selection of games in the 20's,30's and 40's

or

you can spend $599 and have to shell out $60-$70 more each time you son wants another one, or you can wait about 3-4 months until a price drop then buy him the game he wants.

Not exactly looking good for Sony there. Hmm, i know which one i would be referring her to if i worked there. Not to mention the WII.

In my opinion, the PS3 is looking bad already. Like all new hardware, it will be expensive up front and if you believe even part of the rumors about manufactuing problems, supply will be an issue. There aren't a lot of games that I want for the PS3 and Blue-ray needs to win a format war (which I don't think that many people care that much about right now).

Adding the no used games will just kill them and piss off some big players in the market. For example, Gamestop / EB Games sells a huge percentage of the games (new and used) in the US. If the PS3 doesn't allow used games, they won't get much space in the store and employees won't be pushing it at all. In fact, since most of their profit is from used games, they would have 0 incentive to push the system.

Bottom line, its not going to happen if Sony wants the PS3 to succeed. They need to come out and put this issue to rest for good. There is a big difference between having a patent for something and using it production hardware.

TBW

PS I'm not a fanboy (of Nintendo or M$), just a guy who has owned just about every console since the NES....who won't be buying a PS3 at launch or probably ever. If it won't play used games, I'll never buy one.

[quote name='schuerm26']No it doesn't. Burden of proof unfortunately lies on who it is going to hurt the most. That in this case is Sony. This is a BAD piece of information to have about your system that is coming out soon. It's out there. They need to put it 100% to rest. It is solely on them. There is no burden of proof for the game journalists. It is already out there. If it isn't true, Sony better come out swinging.[/QUOTE]

They have put it to rest TWICE. The rumor first started back in November, Sony responded. Rumor again in May, Sony responded. I'm sure they'll respond a third time eventually for this go around. Here is two links for the two seperate times. If you don't like the sources feel free to google other ones.

I don't think they would do it but it's possible, who knows. But don't act like Sony runs away from this rumor everytime it's brought up. It's the same thing over and over again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/15/sony-responds-to-playstation-3-drm-rumor/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060526-6929.html

This is good news, and i believe its good for us the gamers, that it keeps popping up.. because everytime it does people get upset and start a riot. Which in turn reaffirms microsoft/sony/nintendo/coleco that the public will not respond well if they try this later on.

[quote name='zerolens']They have put it to rest TWICE. The rumor first started back in November, Sony responded. Rumor again in May, Sony responded. I'm sure they'll respond a third time eventually for this go around. Here is two links for the two seperate times. If you don't like the sources feel free to google other ones.

I don't think they would do it but it's possible, who knows. But don't act like Sony runs away from this rumor everytime it's brought up. It's the same thing over and over again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/15/sony-responds-to-playstation-3-drm-rumor/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060526-6929.html[/QUOTE]

Sony has a lot to prove since they released the root kit on CD's for example- they need to be on the ball with statements such as the following:

While we don't like Used Games being sold because we think we should always make royalties, in this case we understand that we need to bend over and take it up the rear because used games is a way of life- we will not now, or ever block used games, and oh by the way, we are reducing the price to 399 by December 2006 and are just trying to make a profit off the retards who would ebay the systems.

Instead we get statements like "You will want to work overtime for one!"

I'm looking for hope, a reason to want to buy the PS3, instead of the great value of "You buy a PS3 and your friends will laugh at you for being a dumbass"

Has Sony thought about doing this? Yes.

So has Nintendo and Microsoft.

Was it considered for the PS3? At some point, undoubtedly.

Probably before E3 2006, or before an agreed-upon price point.

Will it happen? No.

Of course not.

Let's be reasonable here. Sony isn't stupid. They've gotten to where they are because they've made smart choices and attacked (their opponents' weak spots for massive damage) when it was most logical for them to do so.

They will not do this, the Wii is not being renamed, and Microsoft is not going to make a direct competitor for the handheld arena.

Let's stop with the silly rumors.

[quote name='argyle']Sony also has the technology in place to fill every game case with fire ants before sealing them.

fuck Sony![/QUOTE]
Actually, that would be awesome if about 1 in every 50 game cases was filled with live fire ants...

[quote name='friedram']Sony has a lot to prove since they released the root kit on CD's for example- they need to be on the ball with statements such as the following:

While we don't like Used Games being sold because we think we should always make royalties, in this case we understand that we need to bend over and take it up the rear because used games is a way of life- we will not now, or ever block used games, and oh by the way, we are reducing the price to 399 by December 2006 and are just trying to make a profit off the retards who would ebay the systems.

Instead we get statements like "You will want to work overtime for one!"

I'm looking for hope, a reason to want to buy the PS3, instead of the great value of "You buy a PS3 and your friends will laugh at you for being a dumbass"[/QUOTE]

The system either plays used games or it doesn't, that's what the issue comes down to. If you hate Sony because of the rootkits or whatever then stop buying Sony products, it's that simple.

And you talk about value when you have a 1080p 62" TV and a souped up PC? Why would you even be complaining over a couple of hundred bucks? The price isn't the problem, you just don't like Sony apparently. Like I said, don't concern yourself with their products if that's the way you feel.

I don't see how the price is a problem if someone has a little patience. I'll wait for a $100 price drop then probably buy it at $400. Compare that to the $300 PS2 + $30 memory card I bought and the difference is $70. And for those that bought $200 or less PS2's, then yeah they need to move on to something different if they don't want to pay more than that. That's what the core 360 and Wii is for.

It's not my problem that someone has convinced themselves they HAVE to have the $600 version. It has extra things the 360 has and the $500 version has, of course you'll be charged for it. You're basically paying $100 for blu-ray. I don't care about that but if I'm going to keep playing video games I need to buy the system that has the games I like. If I can't afford it or feel it's too much then I give up the hobby. But I'm not about to pat myself on the back and buy a system with few games I like so I can say I got some great deal on the console itself. It's a waste of money when you do that.

If most games the person likes is multi-console then the choice is a no brainer, you buy the cheaper one IMO. If the games you like are on the more expensive console then you deal with it or quit the hobby.

[quote name='Strell']

Sony isn't stupid.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yeah right...

Not doing this would be the smartest choice Sony has made for the PS3, and that says NOTHING. Sony this gen is acting like Nintendo did before, they think they can do whatever they want and people will still pay their trash. They won't.

[quote name='David85']:lol:

Yeah right...

Not doing this would be the smartest choice Sony has made for the PS3, and that says NOTHING. Sony this gen is acting like Nintendo did before, they think they can do whatever they want and people will still pay their trash. They won't.[/QUOTE]

A retarded showing at E3 2006 and some idiot hubris != stupidity.

Everything Sony has said, done, or shown for the PS3 has shown they have no fucking clue what they are doing. They have completely lost their minds.

bread's done
Back