A Gaming Laptop?

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!
I've been wanting to get into PC gaming again but due to a lack of space I can't really get a PC(Unless I put it in my basement but I'm not sure how the Humidity would effect it). So as of now a gaming laptop seems like my best bet for the time being. And I was wondering if any CAGs could give me some suggestions.

What's your price range? For maybe $1000 you can get a pretty decent gaming laptop. This deal is expired but that's similar to what I would go with if I wanted a gaming laptop. It's only ~6 pounds and has a great CPU, a lot of RAM/hard drive space, and a decent video card.

[quote name='SEH']That said, you could basically shave $300 off that price and build a desktop that will blow that laptop out of the water.[/QUOTE]
I understand that I could easily do that but as I mentioned I'm a little short on space. As of now I barely have space to keep my DVDs/Game let alone a desktop. And I'm also pretty lazy and would probably give up long before I finished.

DrFoo: I haven't put much thought into a price range. Since I live at with my family I don't really have to pay many bills so I guess I could spend $1000+ after the holidays.

I'm sure there will be a ton of sales as we get closer to Christmas or by the end of January. There usually is for big ticket electronics, so that time is probably your best bet.

I currently game on a Laptop and like it a lot. It's such a space saver which is great.

[quote name='DrFoo']What's your price range? For maybe $1000 you can get a pretty decent gaming laptop. This deal is expired but that's similar to what I would go with if I wanted a gaming laptop. It's only ~6 pounds and has a great CPU, a lot of RAM/hard drive space, and a decent video card.[/QUOTE]

HP doesn't take proper measures to cool down their laptops. That thing's going to fry in two years.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I understand that I could easily do that but as I mentioned I'm a little short on space. As of now I barely have space to keep my DVDs/Game let alone a desktop. And I'm also pretty lazy and would probably give up long before I finished.

DrFoo: I haven't put much thought into a price range. Since I live at with my family I don't really have to pay many bills so I guess I could spend $1000+ after the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the Sager 9280. It's basically a desktop compressed into a laptop. It uses the i7 DESKTOP processor not the mobile. Also there are 3 hard drive bays in it so you could get it to 1.5 Terrabytes if you wanted. Also you can expand the RAM to 12 gb. given that there are 3 slots. You can put in a DVD burner drive, BR/DVD burn or a BR burn and read drive. There are 4 USB 2.0 slots, a 3.0 Megapixel camera, an eSata input, a Firewire input, a DVI output as well as an HDMI output.
The graphics card is an nVidia 280M which you can upgrade, just like the RAM, HDD and the CPU. I think the CPU you gotta ship in to upgrade or you might void the warranty but don't QUOTE me on that.
There are a couple places that sell it but I really like Xoticpc.com . They're located in the U.S., specifically Nebraska and I mean that for both customer service as WELL as where they put it together aside from the motherboard of course.
Seriously I have the suspicion this laptop will kick the shit out of whatever you throw at it. On the Xoticpc forums they list benchmarks of running the thing. Seriously this should last you for a while given that you're upgrading a desktop processor AND the GPU can be upgraded. The only caveat is the power consumption is big. I THINK it's got an hour of battery life.
If you decide otherwise keep in mind that, so far as to my knowledge, this is the ONLY laptop to contain an i7 desktop CPU.

[quote name='Nohbdy']HP doesn't take proper measures to cool down their laptops. That thing's going to fry in two years.[/QUOTE]
I'm typing this on a two year old HP laptop and I haven't had any over heating problems at all. Yeah they run hot but so do pretty much all laptops. My friends with Vaio, Dell, and Acer laptops have all had more problems than me (since I've had none :D).

And as for Sager laptops, yeah they are absurdly powerful but they do tend to cost a lot. The 9280 you mentioned is over $2000.

OP the Gateway SEH linked to is probably the best choice if weight isn't a big issue for you. It's 9 pounds but it has an extremely nice graphics card.

The best gaming laptops right now would be ether the Sager NP9850 or the Alienware M17x. It is true that the Sager 9280 and the M15x have i7s inside (Sager has the desktop ver, AW has the mobile ver) but only have one 1gb gpu. The above can go up to a core 2 quad extreme and have dual 1gb GPUs running ether SLI or Crossfire (crossfire only for M17x).

Sager has power, easily upgradeable, and costs less

AW has both power and looks but costs more (however, they have a excellent cooling system)

Dell/AW are having BF sales if you care to take a look.

the HP gaming laptops are ok, though they do have cooling problems (like Toshiba laptops)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there were test's being done on modes and such for the Sager 9280 and it was passing either with flying colors or close to it. Check the Xoticpc forum's on the benchmark test. DMC4 is listed and RE5.
I recognize you don't have dual GPU's but this is a laptop that will definitely have some longevity in terms of upgrading given the board and the fact that it's a desktop CPU. The GPU, like I said, is also upgradeable.
Also with that site I mentioned on the Sager's you can skin your laptop. Check it out.

Oh and as for an HP I'd suggest getting anything else but that's given my political leanings in the fact I hate that they make weapons, specifically for our government.

If you're still shopping around, both Asus and Gateway have a selection of solid gaming laptops on the cheap-ish scale. The two mentioned above is about as good as you can get at around $1k. Truth be told, I've seen more Asus gaming laptops being used by the College crowd around here for because of how attractive its price point is, in relation to the specs you're getting.

You could wait and see for those Black Friday deals on gaming-ish laptops. If price is close to no problem, then I could suggest Falcon Northwest, or the higher-end Alienwares.

Don't mind doing some online shopping? CyberPower has been the lord of cheap gaming PCs and Laptops, and for a cool $1500, you could get a laptop touting the new Intel i7 processors.

EDIT/WARNING: CyberPower is a good brand for the price, imho, but you should be warned that there is a lot of complaints on the quality of the customer service department of the company. Now, I heard about that a year or two ago and I don't really know how true that is today But for the price, they got to cut a corner or two somewhere.

ANOTHER EDIT: Gawd, how can I forget iBUYPOWER? Another company known for their crappy looking, but solid and cheaply priced laptops. Some of their computers may be ugly as sin, but its another company the lowballs the price while shooting for the most impressive performance for the price.

Best BUy - the $999 asus vx60 or whatever the model (blue/black) is solid for the $1000 range.. can't give you opinions on more expensive ones.. but I'm in the same shape as you man, I game on a laptop b/c I'm in a one bedroom apt and don't have space for a desk and my gaming junk so I game on my laptop on the coffee table or dinner table or a laptop stand heheh it works well!

btw what games are you wanting to run?

Mine is modest laptop compared to the gaming ones listed above but I can do gaming moderately well and everything else - video, daily things on the internet very well on my Dell Studio XPS 16. It has a weaker video card but now they have a better on in it the 4670.. a 1080P screen and other minor amenities. Think about that first too before you go ALL OUT on a gaming laptop you may not need over some productivity or casual browse time. I'm playing MW2, WoW, Dragon Age Origins all fine. Personally I can sacrifice some gaming specs to get the nicer screen, better speakers, battery and thinner profile. But that's me. Ask yourself what you need.

2.4Ghz P8600
ATI 3670 512
6GB DDR3
Win 7 64bit
1920x1080 RGB screen 16"

I'm still looking around. I probably won't pick one up until after the Holidays. But I'll take that time to look into your suggestions.

[quote name='aznguyen316']btw what games are you wanting to run?[/QUOTE]
The only games that come to mind are Left 4 Dead 2 and maybe Dragon Age(Already have it on the 360 but I wouldn't mind getting again). I also have some other games but those could probably run on just about anything.

Any deals on decent, gaming-capable Toshiba laptops? I've had Toshiba's in the past (on one right now, actually), and they've always been solid machines, but they've usually been crap for gaming. An upgrade would be nice.

I'm looking at the Alienware MX17 or the Sager NP9850 right now. So all thats left is to customize them...

edit: Maybe I'll avoid the Mx17. I seem to be seeing some very mixed reviews about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
You always have to look at the Pros and Cons between a laptop and a desktop. Such as obvisously mobility with a laptop. But you pay more for a laptop with the same stuff as a desktop because of the size. And its the other way around too. Like you pay less for with a desktop, but are limited to being in one place. But say for the same hardware, plus $400+, you have to option of mobility.
Im sure if any of this made any sense, but I atempted....lol

Not sure how much space you got but a desktop is not as big as they use to be. If you add a flat screen monitor or if you just connect it to your TV you can save yourself a lot of space.

Gaming Laptop?

What kind of games you plan to play?

Laptop are just not ideal for gaming.

I have a Netbook that I use for traveling and record keeping purpose for my stores. On it I have a huge amount of 2D games (fighting, side scrollers. top down shooters...etc) that I play on the go (with a game pad) - I also play a few web based games like Dead Frontier and Battlefield Heroes. Netbook + 2 Gamepads cost me $184 total.

If that's the kind of PC gaming you want then Laptops would be ideal.

You could get a "Gaming Laptop" but they don't go cheap and you will be spending more for less power if you plan to buy the latest and greatest games.

Now, now, the $500 Sager that I got used earlier this year has done well by me. Mass Effect goes well at near-max with very few stutters.

Thats exactly why laptops cost more than desktops. Because of the size&mobility option. You can easily pay way less for a desktop with the same system properties as a laptop. Sad, but true. Even tho I am a proud gaming laptop user. I play crysis on mine and have no problem with LAG or anything. I paid $1457. With that amount towards a desktop I could have bought one with at least twice the GHz, and twice the graphics power....but I settled for mobility and comfort.

bread's done
Back