A good yet CAG HD component switch(er)?

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
The HDTV that I game my 360 on, only allows for 1080i through its one component port. Yes, it is an older HDTV. Anyhow, does anyone know of any good quality yet affordable HD component switchers so that I can have my HD cable and DVD upscaler through it...without having to swap cables each and every time.

I have also been looking for one with no luck. I have bought a couple only to take back to the retailer a few days later because I would find one reason or another that I didn't like about them.

Cheap isn't always a good choice in some things.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I've been doing some searching on AVSForum for a "good" one that isn't hideously expensive, yet provides 4 component inputs + optical inputs. Haven't bought one yet.

One reasonable one I've seen is this one, the Audio Authority 1154A, which is $179 + free shipping:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/1154a.asp
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/1154A.html

There's an AA rep on the AVSForum forums that goes under the name of "Audio Authority" that is quite helpful on their products. Though, he mentions this about the 1154B, soon to be coming out:

[quote name='From AVSForum']Also, look for our 1154B coming out around the turn of the year - it's got improved cosmetics, a brushed aluminum faceplate, touch-sensitive discrete input selection buttons, and IR remote control. It also still has AutoSelect switching as an option.[/quote]
Differences between the 1154A (current model) and 1154 (old model):
[quote name='From AVSForum']The 1154A is the current model - the main enhancement was the addition of more shielding in that edition. Some small improvements that have already been detailed were also added.

The 1154 was known to switch in high-noise (EMI) situations, like sometimes when refrigerators switched on or off, or if there was a spike in the power line. The 1154A has corrected that idiosyncrasy.[/quote]

I got a psyclone as well at Crust Buy (had a $10 birthday gift card to use towards it). Works great with all my equipment, save my Sony DVD player (annoying hum from the audio cables... I don't care too much for surround sound, so I have a lame bookshelf stereo... it wasn't the stereo, because the TV hummed when plugged directly into its inputs, rather than the bookshelf system.)

To solve that minor issue, I switched to an upscaling region-free samsung DVD player (which uses HDMI) and have had no other issues with hum...(I currently hook up a Gamecube [I have an old one], Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS2 to this box.)

So let me be the second guy to say "Works great." The remote is a nice touch, since you can turn your 360 on and off via the controller. :) Yes, I'm lazy... heh.

Any other "low-end" switcher (like the Gamestop branded Pelican box) will probably give you issues in quality because the switches are poorly made, it appears. I had that switcher with my analog television, but only used it for s-Video... it worked okay (for $20), but when I went component with this new TV (Samsung flat panel) the Gamestop/Pelican switcher went squirrelly on me when switching... it took a few presses to get the signal back in any sort of viewable quality...

--
I collect spores, molds, and fungus...

I recently bought a 360 as well and had to juggle around component with my DVD player and my PS2. Check your local Gamestop for a Gamestop component switcher manufactured by Pelican if you don't care too much about audio. I just picked one up the other night for $19.99 at the Gamestop in Union Square NYC. Totally worth it since it came with a component video & composite audio cable as well. Interesting (yet probably useless addition) is that it also was an ethernet switcher so there were ethernet ports too...

I think MONOPRICE.com has some also. OR, just get a new receiver if you don't have one already....a surround sound system is your BEST investment.

I have an older HDTV with the same issue. I run my Cable Box and my 360 through the receiver into my one component input.

I've got the Joytech 240c. It has 3 inputs for ethernet, 4 for optical audio, 7 for composite, 6 for component and 7 for s-video.

It has a remote and a programmable LCD panel on the front.

It was $90 when I bought it ~1 year ago.

Yeah I have a Pelican one also. Not the greatest but it gets the job done. I can't tell any loss in picture quality. If MS would just release an HDMI version of the 360 I would be fine. BUT NO.....

bread's done
Back