A History of Violence

Its been getting solid reviews. Viggo Mortensen looks like he has life after Lord of the Rings

It looks incredible.

I'm gonna try to see it after work, tonight.

David Cronenberg's films are generally hit or miss... well, not really "hit", but "almost hit". This looks like his best effort. Then again, I've yet to see "Naked Lunch". ;)

[quote name='Brak']David Cronenberg's films are generally hit or miss... well, not really "hit", but "almost hit". This looks like his best effort. Then again, I've yet to see "Naked Lunch". ;)[/QUOTE]Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(A History of Violence was pretty good, in any case.)

[quote name='Brak']It looks incredible.

I'm gonna try to see it after work, tonight.

David Cronenberg's films are generally hit or miss... well, not really "hit", but "almost hit". This looks like his best effort. Then again, I've yet to see "Naked Lunch". ;)[/QUOTE]

"Naked lunch, I can think of TWO things wrong with that title"

- Nelson Muntz

Read the graphic novel a few weeks ago...and then bought it. Im curious to see how its been changed for the movie (im not one of those CHANGE IS BAD comic book guys, im genuinely curious)

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Read the graphic novel a few weeks ago...and then bought it. Im curious to see how its been changed for the movie (im not one of those CHANGE IS BAD comic book guys, im genuinely curious)[/QUOTE]I saw it earlier this week, but haven't seen the graphic novel, unfortunately. There were a couple of sex scenes that seemed very out of place, and from what I've heard, they're not in the graphic novel. Not surprising, since Cronenberg loves to flaunt his fetishes (Crash, anyone?)

[quote name='modium']I saw it earlier this week, but haven't seen the graphic novel, unfortunately. There were a couple of sex scenes that seemed very out of place, and from what I've heard, they're not in the graphic novel. Not surprising, since Cronenberg loves to flaunt his fetishes (Crash, anyone?)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i knew about those. It was actually somebody underneath Chronenberg that did those sex scenes for the movie. Chronen thought they were very "him". Wierdo.
BTW, the book is 9.95 from Paradox Press, a division of DC. Same size and design as the Road to Perdition GN's (yep, that was a "comic" movie as well).

Great movie! I caught it earlier today. I dont recommend this movie to people who have ADD though. Its very slow paced - Still good though.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Read the graphic novel a few weeks ago...and then bought it. [/QUOTE]

As everyone should, it's a good graphic novel IMO. I'm curious to see the changes amde as well. I'll have to catch it next weekend.

Yep my shrink says I have a history of violence as well. The normal stuff hurting people for no reasons and sometimes burying a body and I remember one time this guy would not stop screa...oh the movie uh good movie solid so... alright... awkward.

:D

Turns out they are showing this at my theater. I thought it was a limited release. I guess not. A friend of mine wants to see this; maybe I'll see if he wants to go.

I saw it tonight. It's very good but like Modium said, it has two very graphic, long, and awkward sex scenes. I felt a bit strange watching them with a huge crowd of strangers. The 2nd one makes more sense than the first one, but still they're awkward. Still, it's a very good movie. I just wish it took itself a bit more serious at times when it decided to be humorous.

I dont think this is a spoiler or anything, but, just in case.....
SPOILER, maybe?

Did no one else have probelms with the sons part of the story? I realize its based on a graphic novel i havet read, but his interactions with the bully are ridiculous. I mean, he caught a ball, and the guy has a vendetta for him? The whole thing just seems silly. Not to mention the bullys terrible dialoge.

Otherwise, while dissapointed, I thought it was a pretty decent film.

[quote name='thestuff']I dont think this is a spoiler or anything, but, just in case.....
SPOILER, maybe?

Did no one else have probelms with the sons part of the story? I realize its based on a graphic novel i havet read, but his interactions with the bully are ridiculous. I mean, he caught a ball, and the guy has a vendetta for him? The whole thing just seems silly. Not to mention the bullys terrible dialoge.

Otherwise, while dissapointed, I thought it was a pretty decent film.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the guy who played the son was a crappy actor, along with the little girl too who sucked even more. All of the other performances were great, especially Ed Harris and William Hurt. Maria Bello's crying scenes were a bit goofy though.

bread's done
Back