A list of the best the DS has to offer in each game category.

crystalklear64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So I'm highly considering purchasing I purchased a DS and would like to start throwing a list together of all the best games from each genre from the time of launch up until now for myself and other's reference. I'll add more categories as we get some games that require new ones.

The List-
Action:
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Adventure:
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Beat Em' Up:
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

Fighter:
Bleach: The Blade of Fate

Music:
Elite Beat Agents

Pinball:
Metroid Prime Pinball

Platformer:
New Super Mario Brothers
Sonic Rush
Yoshi's Island DS

Puzzle:
Meteos
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Puzzle Quest
Tetris DS

Racing:
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Mario Kart DS

RPGs:
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Final Fantasy III
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Shooter:
Metroid Prime: Hunters

Strategy:
Advanced Wars: Dual Strike

Most Creative/Fun/Intuitive use of Stylus/DS:
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
WarioWare: Touched!

Misc.:
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day
Big Brain Academy
Clubhouse Games

I think it would be easier to take games that you already like, and find ones that you MIGHT like. A lot of DS games are kinda weird, even in established genres.

I'd suggest making a new category specific to the DS:

Best use of the stylus: Kirby Canvas Curse

(and that's one you can't just quickly use gamerankings to check either. :mrgreen:

Puzzle: Meteos, Tetris, Planet Puzzle League
Adventure: Touch Detective
Fighting: Bleach/ 2nd
Misc: Cooking Mama, Wario Ware, Feel the Magic, Brain Age/Big Brain Academy
Platformer: New Super Mario Bros, Super Princess Peach

[quote name='dcfox']
Fighting: Bleach/ 2nd
[/QUOTE]
[quote name='EXStrike']Fixed.
[/QUOTE]
[quote name='peloquin17']
Fighter: Jump Ultimate Stars
[/QUOTE]
I'd like to keep imports off the list. I realize that DS games are region free or all share the same region, but I think most people like to play games they can read. Unless of course the games have language options, in which case I'll add em'.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I'd like to keep imports off the list. I realize that DS games are region free or all share the same region, but I think most people like to play games they can read. Unless of course the games have language options, in which case I'll add em'.[/QUOTE]

i hear ya. there really isnt any good fighters than. guilty gear dust strikers was terrible.

i have it cause im a GG fan. i think i played it once. it made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Music: Electroplankton

send it through some guitar effects and a looper, and you can get some crazy sounds out if it.

What about Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. I really enjoyed Age of Empires too (although being a little glichy could keep it off the list).

IMO I would choose warioware twisted over warioware touched. I also think the GBA yoshi island is a much better choice for a platformer than the ds one. I am not sure if you were looking to get GBA titles but they are part of the DS's capatible list. Rocket Slime is an ok choice. I would have probably not have bought the game but it was part of a buy 2 get 1 sale, so meh. I also was not a big fan of Diddy Kong Racing. I will assume you have done your research on the bigger titles. Some people also mentioned liking Metriod Prime Hunters. I thought it had an interesting implementation of the stylus, but overall was ok.

Platformer: Yoshi Island (GBA)
Other: WarioWare Twisted (GBA)

I hope this helps a bit.

I don't have a DS yet but the Castlevania games are what's going to make me buy one. That and New Super Mario. I just like the fact that the people behind the DS know that 2d games can still be good.

I forget where I saw, but it looks like the first Bleach DS game is coming out here soon, to go with the Wii game. That can prolly be added into the Fighter section, but I never played the first so I don't know if it's as great as the second...

The first Bleach game just came out in the US this week, and that is by far the best fighter on the DS (since its better than the crap Guilty Gear game). Since were not counting imports, Bleach is it.

Action:
Contra 4

Adventure:
Phoenix Wrights!

Fighting:
Bleach (but I think Bleach 2 is coming out soon)

Racing:
Race Driver: Race and Create (haven't played this, but it is getting really good response)

Strategy:
Advance Wars DS
Advance Wars DS 2 (Coming soon)

Puzzle:
Picross DS (LASTS. FOR. EV. ER)

Platformer:
Drawn to Life

Music:
Jam Sessions (maybe? Maybe a "creative use" game)

Shooter:
Halo DS!

And to echo previous statements, Rocket Slime is an action RPG. Lots of fun.

Good thread. This should be made a sticky (assuming the first post can be maintained/updated) to ward off all the damn "I bought a DS, what games should I get" threads.

RPG
Etrian Odyssey

[quote name='crystalklear64']Are there any RTS games worth adding like.. Age of Empires or something like that?[/QUOTE]

Age of Empires DS is turn-based.

AoE is buggy as hell and can get bricked in-game. you have everything up there that i like. someone who's a regular could duplicate the OP so it could be stickied/maintained

[quote name='banpeikun']someone who's a regular could duplicate the OP so it could be stickied/maintained[/QUOTE]
That would be fine with me. I'm on here pretty much everyday, but I don't pay much attention to the non-off topic forums. Though a sticky was my original goal.

In general I can agree with keeping Japanese games off the list, but there are exceptions. Namely I'd suggest adding Ouendan 2 to the music list. Not being able to read Japanese is not only not a hindrance in this game (if you have played EBA first - the menus are pretty much identical and easy to navigate), but in some ways it's even better that way. You start out being clueless about what is going on in the stories, but soon enough you figure it out and that seems to just make it even funnier. Also you can get Ouendan 2 for a pretty reasonable price unlike most Japanese games (yesasia.com with $5 off coupon gets it to you for $35 shipped.) What a great, great game. I'd probably say to add Ouendan 1 as well, but I don't have that one yet so can't personally recommend it.

I still think the tony hawk games, kirby canvas curse, mario 64, and the first castlevania are the best by far.

Lunar Knights could be up there in action. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass in adventure, and Rocket Slime should be moved to adventure =P ...its more like Zelda than Final Fantasy come on people use you're heads.

I also think lots of the 1st party Nintendo platformers are better than Sonic Rush but that is opinion. And Sonic Rush Adventure is supposed to be better than the first.

[quote name='freshzen']Lunar Knights could be up there in action. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass in adventure, and Rocket Slime should be moved to adventure =P ...its more like Zelda than Final Fantasy come on people use you're heads.

I also think lots of the 1st party Nintendo platformers are better than Sonic Rush but that is opinion. And Sonic Rush Adventure is supposed to be better than the first.[/QUOTE]
Gamerankings disagrees with you on sonic, but this thread is done anyway. baik...uh.. something took my list and is keeping it updated. Its the one that says something like.. ~~~ATTENTION~~~ DS GAMES HERE

bread's done
Back