A lot of small quakes near the Salton Sea a sign of the big one?

packerfan10

CAGiversary!
http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?blog=andrews&partner=&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/andrews/archives/2009/03/bombay_beach_callifornia_earthquake_swarma.asp

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:41 AM:cry:
Do Southern California Quakes Foretell `The Big One`

Bombay Beach, California Earthquake Swarm--a Little Background

A "swarm", or series, of earthquakes, most of them small, has taken place this late March in Southern California along the infamous San Andreas Fault Zone. While none has been severe, the earthquake swarm raises interesting questions in a region that is always bracing for the "big one"; that is, a catastrophic shake affecting the lives and property of millions.

A swarm of earthquakes has been defined as "a series of minor earthquakes, none of which may be identified as the main shock, occurring in a limited area and time." This swarm began on March 21, 2009 beneath the floor of the Salton Sea off Bombay Beach, California. The swarm continued through at least March 24. Strongest of the tremors was a Magnitude 4.8 shake that happened on the 23rd with an epicenter about 2.5 miles south of Bombay Beach. While the M4.8 quake was widely felt, by far most of the quakes had magnitudes below M2.0, meaning that they were unlikely to be felt by most (if not all) people. Focal depth, which represents the starting point within the Earth of the rupture triggering the shaking, was mostly between 2 and 5 miles underground.

Plotted on a map, the epicenters (surface location above the rock break) were alined in a northeast-southwest direction, or "strike." And the M4.8 quake showed fault movement along this same strike. This movement implied that the rock rupture was "strike-slip." A strike-slip fault can be defined as "a fault along which the slip motion is parallel to the strike of the fault." In this instance, the southeastern side of the fault shifted northeastward with respect to the northwestern side--this was "left-lateral" fault slip. For reference, the many fault strands of the San Andreas Fault Zone, which stretches most of the length of California, are all right-lateral strike-slip faults.

This earthquake swarm happened within an area know to students of earthquakes (seismologists) as the Brawley Seismic Zone, which is not a single fault; rather, it is a complex series of breaks in the Earth's crust between the southern end of the southern San Andreas Fault and the northern Imperial Fault, which reaches southward into Mexico. These two great faults, with their many strands and splinter faults, have the overall task of taking western California and Baja California northward versus the rest of North America ("right-lateral" "strike-slip" motion, that is).

The Imperial Valley Fault has a few strong historical quakes which are known by seismologists for their offset of tree rows in the agricultural Imperial Valley. But it is the San Andreas Fault that has both the history of that and the potential for the "big one"--disastrous shaking of magnitude up to, say, M8.0.

Northern California had the San Andreas break with catastrophic effect in 1906. In the south, however, the region nearest the Salton Sea has not had a great earthquake for at least 300 years. Farther north, there was a great quake (magnitude estimated at M7.9) having an epicenter at Fort Tejon near the modern-day Grapevine--the busy highway bottleneck between Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley.

The Fort Tejon earthquake of 1857 was triggered by a right-lateral strike-slip displacement of up to 30 feet/9 meters along the San Andreas Fault. The tear in the Earth's surface stretched about 215 miles/350 km along the fault. Rivers were, in a few instances, thrown over their banks, as were waters of the Tulare Lake, which once filled a part of the San Joaquin Valley.

While it killed only two people and did relatively little damage in a region sparsely settled at the time, such a violent shaking would, today, have a catastrophic effect upon the state. Damage would reach far into the billions of dollars.

So it's been over 160 years since the Fort Tejon Earthquake and even longer for strands of the San Andreas Fault Zone nearest the Salton Sea and the Bombay Beach Earthquake Swarm. Could this swarm of quakes mean that some major break in the crust is in the making? A question that seismologists are no doubt bearing in mind, for it is known that major quakes can sometimes be preceded by swarms of much weaker shakes. Unlike the weather, however, forecasting earthquakes is a science in its infancy. So, in the end, there may be no way of knowing with any confidence that a major rupture of the southern San Andreas Fault will happen before the fact.

Thanks to the Southern California Earthquake Data Center (SCDEC) for the information that helped me in the building of this story.

[quote name='Ender']God bless the east coast.[/quote]

You really do need God's blessing to live in that cesspool during summer.

I'll take the most politically incompetent government and earthquakes over summer humidity whenever presented the choice.

When the big one hits i'll be fine. These incompetent folks around me are the ones i'm worried for. I'm curious if they've played enough Fallout to know how to survive off the land for a few days.

My geology professor was talking about these recent strings of quakes. Although he didn't explicitly state, "a huge earthquake is coming," he pretty much meant it. It's hard to predict when, but it's coming and it's gonna be big alright.

[quote name='Magehart']You really do need God's blessing to live in that cesspool during summer.

I'll take the most politically incompetent government and earthquakes over summer humidity whenever presented the choice.

When the big one hits i'll be fine. These incompetent folks around me are the ones i'm worried for. I'm curious if they've played enough Fallout to know how to survive off the land for a few days.[/quote]

Getting sweaty versus your house falling on your head. Go for it.

[quote name='Ender']God bless the east coast.[/quote]

There are fault lines on the east coast btw. There was a 3.something earthquake near Barnewell, SC today...

[quote name='mtxbass1']There are fault lines on the east coast btw. There was a 3.something earthquake near Barnewell, SC today...[/quote]

There are fault lines all over the place. Point is that the west coast is rocked by earthquakes far more often than the east coast.

The first bastard to throw hurricanes in my face gets mauled by a bear.

[quote name='Ender']

The first bastard to throw hurricanes in my face gets mauled by a bear.
[/quote]

hurricane_ike_bear.jpg
;)

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Arizona ftw! When have you ever heard of a natural disaster here?[/QUOTE]

Monsoonal rains and a dry season that rivals the Sahara.

[quote name='Eviltude']Monsoonal rains and a dry season that rivals the Sahara.[/QUOTE]

The only ones that get hurt during the monsoon are the idiots who try to drive across flooded roads. And the summer really isn't that bad, I'd take the dry heat over the humidity any day.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
hurricane_ike_bear.jpg
;)
[/quote]

Awesome. The black guy always dies first, even in real life it seems.

[quote name='neocisco']Getting sweaty versus your house falling on your head. Go for it.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that you get sweaty without fail every year. I've gone 44 years without earthquake-related injury to myself or anyone I've known. The closest is some damage to houses.

The worst California earthquakes in my lifetime killed and injured fewer people than house fires due to stupidities like falling asleep while smoking in the same years. After you've enacted reasonable building codes and taken the right precautions within your home, earthquakes are a silly thing to stress over. It's like devoting time to worrying about the Yellowstone supervolcano, since it is due to sterilize much of North America again within the next 100,000 or so years.

True enough, but when you factor in the horrid state government (that Magehart pointed out) a little sweaty is fine by me.:)

[quote name='epobirs']The difference is that you get sweaty without fail every year. I've gone 44 years without earthquake-related injury to myself or anyone I've known. The closest is some damage to houses.

The worst California earthquakes in my lifetime killed and injured fewer people than house fires due to stupidities like falling asleep while smoking in the same years. After you've enacted reasonable building codes and taken the right precautions within your home, earthquakes are a silly thing to stress over. It's like devoting time to worrying about the Yellowstone supervolcano, since it is due to sterilize much of North America again within the next 100,000 or so years.[/QUOTE]

The difference is we can sweat every day of every year and no harm is done. Your house falls on you one time during your entire life and you're dead.

[quote name='Cracka']The difference is we can sweat every day of every year and no harm is done. Your house falls on you one time during your entire life and you're dead.[/QUOTE]

So far the odds have been in my favor for 44 years. No houses have fallen on me and I even know a few people who were in a, shall we say, collapsing real estate market and walked away.

Now compare that remote possibility, on a par with worrying about being struck by meteorites, to the absolute guarantee of utterly fucking roasting weather for a major portion of the year. It gets plenty hot enough here as it is. Arizona during the same months? No thanks. I'll take the vanishingly small threat of seismic event fatality over the guaranteed quality of life reduction. Every year Arizona tallies up a few dozen fatalities due to heat exposure. The last time an earthquake killed anyone within a two-hundred mile radius of me was fifteen years ago. (The interchange named for the motorcycle cop who wasn't able to stop in time before going off the collapsed section is just a few miles from where I now live.)

Think about it. I know more people who've lost everything they own to events like tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc, in regions a thousand or more miles away than I do people who had comparable losses due to earthquakes in my native region. For that matter, longtime residents here know that fires and severe rain seasons pose more threat. Earthquakes are a sideshow for a modern civilization. The '94 Northridge quake was hugely expensive not because the destruction was so major. It was nothing compared to the damage and consequent fires in San Francisco in 1906. The cost factor came from the immensely high real estate value of the affected areas. The same amount of dame in a Midwest state would have been valued at less than half as much.

Shit happens, at varying levels of predictability. You plan, you deal, then you get on with life.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Immortal fWd']Arizona ftw! When have you ever heard of a natural disaster here?[/quote]

thats because no self respecting natural disaster would be caught dead in arizona lol. although you all do make a mean iced tea kudos.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']The only ones that get hurt during the monsoon are the idiots who try to drive across flooded roads. And the summer really isn't that bad, I'd take the dry heat over the humidity any day.[/quote]

...and for anyone who wants to simulate Arizona summers, just preheat your oven to 375 and stick your head in it for as long as you can stand it.

[quote name='epobirs']the guaranteed quality of life reduction.[/QUOTE]
You are way too scared of a little heat and humidity.

[quote name='Rocko']You are way too scared of a little heat and humidity.[/QUOTE]

Since when does avoidance of a known, intensely unpleasant condition constitute fear? That is like accusing someone of fearing large gaping wounds in their flesh merely because they seek to avoid having the business end of loaded guns pointed their way.

It is an entirely valid reaction.

Fear is when people avoid a region due to the extremely low likelihood of a seismic event when entirely predictable pain and suffering is a unavoidable factor of where they choose to reside.

Your "intensely unpleasant" may just be "slightly inconvenient" to others. For me at least, there are plenty of other reasons not to live in CA besides earthquakes. Besides, I like my seasons.

[quote name='epobirs'] entirely predictable pain and suffering is a unavoidable factor of where they choose to reside.[/QUOTE]
Quality of life reduction? Intensely unpleasant? Or, the best one, pain and suffering? Did high temperatures molest you as a child or something? Pain and suffering is being shot or impaled. Pain and suffering is not hot weather.

[quote name='Rocko']Quality of life reduction? Intensely unpleasant? Or, the best one, pain and suffering? Did high temperatures molest you as a child or something? Pain and suffering is being shot or impaled. Pain and suffering is not hot weather.[/QUOTE]

I've spent time in Scottsdale during summer. Pain and suffering are entirely appropriate word to us to describe the experience.

[quote name='Maklershed']I think neocisco is trying to tell us he hates Mexicans.[/quote]

:lol: I'm fine with Mexicans. Those Guatemalans though...

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']uh oh, just had a quake in the bay area. didnt feel it in sac though.[/QUOTE]

i felt it over here in San Jose. the anxiety of deciding whether or not to gather a few supplies always comes to mind during them.

Maybe the ground will open up and drain that fucking cesspool. That's one thing I don't miss about living in Palm Springs, the days when the wind blew just right and you could smell the Salton Sea, 40 miles away.

[quote name='Rocko']Like I said, you're way too scared, intimidated, and/or afraid of heat if you honestly believe that.[/QUOTE]

Those words do not mean what you think they do.

bread's done
Back