a mysterious envelope containing $3,555...

rjb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This is weird, I don't want to do something illegal so I'm asking for your opinions. I ask here, because this is the damn site that got me back into filling out tons of surveys and market research things :)

I got a notice saying that I had an envelope waiting at the post office with postage due. I paid the postage due and opened the envelope and the only thing inside is a check addressed to me for $3,555.

I have no idea why I have this. The company it's from is "Global Pharma Insights" which from their website they appear to be a market research company... (sorry I can't post a link as a newbie). It's extra odd because it was sent Next Day Express for almost $20, so it has a certain air of importance about it.

What would you do in my situation? I did email the president of the company since he's the only email on the website.

OK... as soon as I hit "post" I got a reply. Here it is:

Hi Russ,
It's a scam; toss the check. A Nigerian hijacked my company's bank information and has sent out hundreds of these checks with my account number. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Steve

darn.... :)

but that solves that. Hope this post helps other people.

[quote name='rjb']OK... as soon as I hit "post" I got a reply. Here it is:

darn.... :)

but that solves that. Hope this post helps other people.[/QUOTE]

What is this guys contact information, I have a very nice bridge for sale at a pretty cheap price.

So what's the scam? Some Nigerian is feeling generous and is stealing from the rich and giving to the poor? Why wouldn't they just write THEMSELVES a big check if they have access to that company's bank account?

maybe your future self sent you the money knowing that if you have it at that time you could change the path your life would take for the better.

hehe it was really freaking hard to rip up a $3,555 check.... especially since I've been broke and out of work for 6 months.

I couldn't risk cashing it- I know somewhere down the line I'll get caught, like the iPhone 4g guy.

[quote name='rjb']hehe it was really freaking hard to rip up a $3,555 check.... especially since I've been broke and out of work for 6 months.

I couldn't risk cashing it- I know somewhere down the line I'll get caught, like the iPhone 4g guy.[/QUOTE]

maybe you actually earned that money. could be a few aliens abducted you butt sexed you a few times and dropped you back home but forgot to pay for the fun times this is their way of saying thanks for the memories.

[quote name='SpazX']Gotta say I don't get it, I don't see what the scammer gets out of that.[/QUOTE]

i think the whole trick to it is you deposit the check and then you were supposed to send back a specific amount and keep the rest. of course if the check is bs you end up having to pay for what you took out and sent to them.

i knew a chick whose mom got a check in the mail once like that but she never cashed it because it was part of some local scam that was going around.

[quote name='lokizz']i think the whole trick to it is you deposit the check and then you were supposed to send back a specific amount and keep the rest. of course if the check is bs you end up having to pay for what you took out and sent to them.

i knew a chick whose mom got a check in the mail once like that but she never cashed it because it was part of some local scam that was going around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if it says that, OP didn't mention it.

yeah lokizz is right. It's all coming together now.

A craigslist ad was looking for a driver. I replied and only until after I gave him my address did he mention that I had to pay him after he sends me some money. I told him to screw himself. I didn't think he'd actually send me the money after I backed out. But now it seems obvious that it's from him, and I see how he got my address. Little did I know that someone's bank account was hijacked to fund this scam. Thanks lokizz!

[quote name='rjb']yeah lokizz is right. It's all coming together now.

A craigslist ad was looking for a driver. I replied and only until after I gave him my address did he mention that I had to pay him after he sends me some money. I told him to screw himself. I didn't think he'd actually send me the money after I backed out. But now it seems obvious that it's from him, and I see how he got my address. Little did I know that someone's bank account was hijacked to fund this scam. Thanks lokizz![/QUOTE]

no problem man although id be careful since they do have your address and you can never be sure about the criminal element. you may want to report that to someone does anyone know if the police would get involved with something like this?

cash that check at a check cashing store then go back on craigslist and get some nice tranny hookers and partay!!!!

I might be wrong, but check cashing places require your license or something to that effect. If he tried that, they would use his info to completely and thoroughly ravage his credit.

But yeah, lokizz is right about how the scam works. Plus, there's also the added bonuses of the boneheads who will do something stupid along the way, and possibly let their bank account info slip. Hell, there is probably a phone number in the letter you got. Chances are that if you were to call it, you'd be calling Canada.

bread's done
Back