A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

ckc4043

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/uncharted3-gameofyear-bundle.html

A new PS3 model was just announced at TGS! Smaller and lighter, it'll be available as part of a bundle with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th.
ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

With over $70 in savings, the new PlayStation®3 250GB system and UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition bundle, showcase the intensity and realism of the best console for gamers.
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Game of the Year Edition is Nathan Drake’s latest adventure that propels the fortune hunter on a trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert and includes over $45 of Bonus Content! DUST 514, a free to play game available exclusively on the PlayStation Network, thrusts you into the explosive ground conflict of the EVE universe.
Bundle Contents:
PlayStation®3 System 250GB
Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition
Dust 514 game + over $30 of Dust DLC (Voucher)
DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
AC Power Cord
AV Cable
USB Cable

From ral1121,
"In the US, the 250GB model will be out on September 25, and will include Uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for DUST 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500GB bundle including Assassin's Creed III that'll go on sale in the US on October 30. No price on that one yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Slowdance']Exactly what I was thinking, lol. If that's too much, you probably should look for a cheaper hobby altogether.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a huge misunderstanding. This isn't about the hobby at all - it's about how much I want to play the few exclusive games the console has and especially when. I was in no rush to spend $300 on six or so games and a console at that second - I don't and didn't have that much time as things went anyway. I could easily wait for that total price to be $250 ($20 off here, $10 off there...) and that was my whole point.

I don't want 500GB hard drives or flash memory or giant screens - I just want something that works for what I need. This new PS3 is bad in just about every category for me - the extras are worthless to me unless I could sell them (and then I would still have to sell it off), I don't need that size of hard drive and I should expect something that simply will work correctly for 300+ hours.

As I said earlier, it's like Sony doesn't want me to get a PS3. It's not really what I want, but I can think of better things to do with $30 other than give it to Sony truthfully anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Youd think if they really wanted to cut costs they would offer one with replacable batteries, no wifi (only ethernet cable), a smallish hd (im thinking the current 160g is more than fair) and no games. It would be cheaper to manufacture and presumably would be able to be sold at a lower and still ratain there needed profit margins.
Personally ive been waiting to buy a ps3 for years now. I almost bought one a few months ago at the GS $50 off sale but heard a new version was in the works. Now that its here i just dont like it. It really didnt get better for the consumer but it is cheaper for sony to make. Who's to say they didnt cut corners on the circuitry either. The only reason for the pop door is its cheap to make and i doubt they redesigned the whole console to make just that single cost cutting measure and hope people would buy it for just the smaller form factor.
Id go out and get an old slim one now but if im not saving money im just going to wait. I only want the ps3 to play a few exclusive titles and I cant spend that much money only to play a few games.

MS and Sony are really outpricing themselves this year. The Wii U is coming out real soon and 360/PS3 sales are down in the US. Not sure how keeping the price the same/or charging more for "'value"' is going to increase sales for the holiday. It seems like MS and Sony are content in keeping the price high before the inevitable next Sony/MS systems are announced.

I guess It's good for profit which helps Sony considering how much money they bled. Maybe even MS wants more profit.

[quote name='rockykai']I think this is a huge misunderstanding. This isn't about the hobby at all - it's about how much I want to play the few exclusive games the console has and especially when. I was in no rush to spend $300 on six or so games and a console at that second - I don't and didn't have that much time as things went anyway. I could easily wait for that total price to be $250 ($20 off here, $10 off there...) and that was my whole point.

I don't want 500GB hard drives or flash memory or giant screens - I just want something that works for what I need. This new PS3 is bad in just about every category for me - the extras are worthless to me unless I could sell them (and then I would still have to sell it off), I don't need that size of hard drive and I should expect something that simply will work correctly for 300+ hours.

As I said earlier, it's like Sony doesn't want me to get a PS3. It's not really what I want, but I can think of better things to do with $30 other than give it to Sony truthfully anyway.[/QUOTE]

If you only need a PS3 for 6 games then you should just buy one used & if your really worried get that Gamestop Warranty Plan. Or pick up the new bundle and sell Uncharted and the $30 DLC, you could probably get $45 total for those, knocking the price down to $325. You could even sell the hard drive, pick up a cheaper one, and save some money there too. Your best bet may be to pick up the older Slim as it will probably get bundled with games and giftcards soon. In fact that's already starting next week and will probably get better deals soon, especially Black Friday.

Target next week
160 GB PS3 $249.99
Comes with Uncharted 3 and MLB 12 The Show

Toys R Us Ad 9/23-9/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with $25 Toysrus Gift Card

Best Buy 9/23-8/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with free PS3 Starter Kit(Blu Remote & Dualshock 3 Charging Station

[quote name='kit352']Youd think if they really wanted to cut costs they would offer one with replacable batteries, no wifi (only ethernet cable), a smallish hd (im thinking the current 160g is more than fair) and no games. It would be cheaper to manufacture and presumably would be able to be sold at a lower and still ratain there needed profit margins.
Personally ive been waiting to buy a ps3 for years now. I almost bought one a few months ago at the GS $50 off sale but heard a new version was in the works. Now that its here i just dont like it. It really didnt get better for the consumer but it is cheaper for sony to make. Who's to say they didnt cut corners on the circuitry either. The only reason for the pop door is its cheap to make and i doubt they redesigned the whole console to make just that single cost cutting measure and hope people would buy it for just the smaller form factor.
Id go out and get an old slim one now but if im not saving money im just going to wait. I only want the ps3 to play a few exclusive titles and I cant spend that much money only to play a few games.[/QUOTE]
It would cost more than it's worth to redesign the controllers and sell off all the old ones. No wifi would result in some not utilizing the internet and Sony losing digital sales (the reason for not having the 12gb console here). The savings between 250 gb and 160 gb hard drive are miniscule. And could you imagine the backlash from consumers over having to buy their own batteries and having no wifi? Look how crazy everyone's gotten over not having a slot loading disc drive.

If you only need it for a few games, just buy a used one or take advantage of the coming deals when retailers get rid of their original Slim stock. You can't care that much about the hardware itself if you're only getting it to play a few games. It's either Sony made these cost-cutting measures or they hemmorage more money and eventually go out of business. You can't have it both ways. They redesigned the hardware because it makes financial sense too, the original Slim came less than 3 years after the fat, which was needed at the time & the reason why there are 2 redesigns not one.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']MS and Sony are really outpricing themselves this year. The Wii U is coming out real soon and 360/PS3 sales are down in the US. Not sure how keeping the price the same/or charging more for "'value"' is going to increase sales for the holiday. It seems like MS and Sony are content in keeping the price high before the inevitable next Sony/MS systems are announced.

I guess It's good for profit which helps Sony considering how much money they bled. Maybe even MS wants more profit.[/QUOTE]

One reason you're seeing prices stay high is that a lot of current console aren't going to pick up many games. Say some buys a PS3 for BluRay, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and picks up 3-4 games total. Not much licensing fee profit there offset selling the console at a loss or break even.

[quote name='@FIF']One reason you're seeing prices stay high is that a lot of current console aren't going to pick up many games. Say some buys a PS3 for BluRay, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and picks up 3-4 games total. Not much licensing fee profit there offset selling the console at a loss or break even.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why they should be lowering prices on the system and pushing that content (Sony's own Blu-Rays and PSN content) rather than pushing customers toward the Wii-U and the new games for that system. They aren't staying competitive with this pricing, and I seriously doubt the manufacturing cost saved by redesigning the console out weighs replacing all of the current stock. Noone's ever redesigned a system this late in it's life cycle and not dropped the price to move the unit. Hell, we've been seeing that since the Genesis and SNES did the "smaller compact" version thing. Handheld gaming with specialized dedicated hardware started dieing out with the PSP, and they not only doubled down on that, but then added way overpriced proprietary hardware (Memory Cards) on top of that. Nintendo survived in that market by targeting the kid market with simplistic cheap handhelds that only did one thing. Sony is making stupid business decisions, remember when everyone thought Sega was on top? look at what happened to them inside of a console generation. Cest La Vie.

Sega certainly was not on top prior to releasing the Dreamcast; in fact it was most likely a few releases (and add-ons) prior to that when they were actually on top.

[quote name='J7.']If you only need a PS3 for 6 games then you should just buy one used & if your really worried get that Gamestop Warranty Plan. Or pick up the new bundle and sell Uncharted and the $30 DLC, you could probably get $45 total for those, knocking the price down to $325. You could even sell the hard drive, pick up a cheaper one, and save some money there too. Your best bet may be to pick up the older Slim as it will probably get bundled with games and giftcards soon. In fact that's already starting next week and will probably get better deals soon, especially Black Friday.

Target next week
160 GB PS3 $249.99
Comes with Uncharted 3 and MLB 12 The Show

Toys R Us Ad 9/23-9/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with $25 Toysrus Gift Card

Best Buy 9/23-8/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with free PS3 Starter Kit(Blu Remote & Dualshock 3 Charging Station[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your post! I will keep an eye out for deals as they come by like these (especially Black Friday) or, as you also said, buy a used Slim should I need to. The refurbished prices are far worse than the BF 2011 deals right now, so I will keep a bigger eye on the current deals.

This new Slim does not inspire much confidence in how well it is built. If it's what I end up buying because there aren't circuitry design problems and they don't have high YLoD rates as time goes on and the deal ends up being good enough, so be it. I don't see myself switching game disks much at all so this slot means nearly nothing now that I think about it... (it doesn't change the fact that I think there should be a price drop).

[quote name='GBAstar']Sega certainly was not on top prior to releasing the Dreamcast; in fact it was most likely a few releases (and add-ons) prior to that when they were actually on top.[/QUOTE]

I think the real death spiral of sega began when they released the saturn. Sure they were hurting a little before then but that one really killed them.
"Lets make this new console only a little bit after the last one, include replacable batteries that when they go so do your game saves, and lets release it tonite without telling anyone and charge a fortune. Then when we've only sold it for about a year we'll stop supporting it and start on a new system."

[quote name='Havok83']and a game + tons of DLC. Theres alot of value added with those 20 bucks[/QUOTE]

It's value added if you want those items. If you don't want the game or the DLC, it's just a price increase.

[quote name='roundhouse']I don't understand how there is so much complaining in this thread but MS continually releases $300-400 bundles with nothing more than Kinect or some other garbage that no one wants. Plus 360 is just a vastly inferior machine to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

That's because MS doesn't fail to give you an alternative to said bundles. You can always buy a "vanilla" Xbox 360 instead of getting one bundled with shit you don't want.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You misunderstand the complaints. What they want is a model with 500GB space, WiFi, Bluetooth, Blu-Ray, at least 4 USB slots, and full PS2 B/C for $150, all while keeping the same "classy" expensive parts from previous systems.

Granted, there would still be some complaints about something, but that would hit most of them. It would also drive Sony out of business, but who cares about small shit like that?[/QUOTE]

Actually, speaking only for myself, I just want a PS3. No extra storage that I don't need and which is cheap to get for yourself anyway, and no extra games. Or hey, a price drop on the existing model since you're rolling out a new one. and only offering the new one as a bundle.

[quote name='computingwarren']Anybody pick this up today? How is it?[/QUOTE]
I went to Target and Best Buy in the afternoon, and did not see any being sold. Both stores still have a few of the older slims so I guess they want to move those stock first, or maybe they sold out like amazon already...

[quote name='akathatoneguy']It's value added if you want those items. If you don't want the game or the DLC, it's just a price increase.

That's because MS doesn't fail to give you an alternative to said bundles. You can always buy a "vanilla" Xbox 360 instead of getting one bundled with shit you don't want.

Actually, speaking only for myself, I just want a PS3. No extra storage that I don't need and which is cheap to get for yourself anyway, and no extra games. Or hey, a price drop on the existing model since you're rolling out a new one. and only offering the new one as a bundle.[/QUOTE]
So you're saying a) that there won't be a standalone 250 gb Super Slim soon, and b) there isn't a standalone older Slim available while the first bundle is released? Oh wait, no you later said just that in the same post. The old model will be available with gift cards, already is. I'm sure you'll be buying a game if you buy a PS3... Complaining over nothing. It would be better if Sony went to $199.99, lost more money, and went out of business just so you personally could get $50 in cash back instead of $50 in gift cards.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']It's value added if you want those items. If you don't want the game or the DLC, it's just a price increase.

[/QUOTE]No its added value regardless. If you want want to use it then sell it.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']

[/QUOTE]
last time I checked the current slims are stlill available and havent been discontiunued yet
Actually, speaking only for myself, I just want a PS3. No extra storage that I don't need and which is cheap to get for yourself anyway, and no extra games. Or hey, a price drop on the existing model since you're rolling out a new one. and only offering the new one as a bundle
Then go and get the unbundled system for $249. No one is stopping you and forcing you to get the super slim

[quote name='J7.']So you're saying a) that there won't be a standalone 250 gb Super Slim soon, and b) there isn't a standalone older Slim available while the first bundle is released? Oh wait, no you later said just that in the same post. The old model will be available with gift cards, already is. I'm sure you'll be buying a game if you buy a PS3... Complaining over nothing. It would be better if Sony went to $199.99, lost more money, and went out of business just so you personally could get $50 in cash back instead of $50 in gift cards.[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is exactly what I said. I think it was worded clearly enough. You shouldn't have to rephrase what I said and add a bunch of hyperbole in order to make your own point.

I'm actually not complaining; I'm voicing my opinion and disagreeing with what others have said. There's a difference that people seem to have a hard time making out these days.

While you're putting words in my mouth, yes, I want Sony to lose money and go out of business so I can get a $200 PS3 (and of course, that's TOTALLY what would happen). That's exactly what I said. Thank you for pointing it out.

Aside from putting words in my mouth, you assume too much. I don't need games bundled with my PS3; I've had a PS3 for years already and it went kaput on me. I just need a replacement- I already have games, thank you very much.

[quote name='Havok83']No its added value regardless. If you want want to use it then sell it.

last time I checked the current slims are stlill available and havent been discontiunued yet

Then go and get the unbundled system for $249. No one is stopping you and forcing you to get the super slim[/QUOTE]

My "added value" comment had to do with people acting as if you can simply subtract the MSRP of the items included in the bundle from the overall price. That's not accurate. Even if you sell the stuff, you're not going to get MSRP for it on Half.com or trading it in somewhere, and that adds a hassle, minor as it may be.

Again, I'm sure there are others besides myself who would be interested in a newer slim PS3 without it being bundled with extra stuff that they don't want. Of course the older ones are still available. Why would you pay $250 for them, though, when Sony itself is not standing behind that model and has already went to a newer design? My Xbox point still stands, and by the way, was only a reply to someone else who was comparing apples to oranges and saying Microsoft does the same thing, which they don't. If you're going to put out a new version of your console, have a bundled version, but also have a standalone version without extra crap. It's simple.

I never said that anyone was "forcing" me to do anything. I was noting that it'd be nice if Sony provided the consumer with more options. Some of you get very defensive and like to pretend that such a statement constitutes "complaining", but hey, whatever floats your boat.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']What I'm saying is exactly what I said. I think it was worded clearly enough. You shouldn't have to rephrase what I said and add a bunch of hyperbole in order to make your own point.

I'm actually not complaining; I'm voicing my opinion and disagreeing with what others have said. There's a difference that people seem to have a hard time making out these days.

While you're putting words in my mouth, yes, I want Sony to lose money and go out of business so I can get a $200 PS3 (and of course, that's TOTALLY what would happen). That's exactly what I said. Thank you for pointing it out.

Aside from putting words in my mouth, you assume too much. I don't need games bundled with my PS3; I've had a PS3 for years already and it went kaput on me. I just need a replacement- I already have games, thank you very much.[/QUOTE]
Was pointing out that you contradicted yourself, and if you don't want the games, then sell them. What do you think MS would do if they were in Sony's shoes? The same thing, but worse. Actually if you sold the additional content in that bundle you would make back more than the $20 extra it costs.

Don't buy an older Slim because "Sony isn't standing behind that model". What the hell does that mean? Why the hell would Sony introduce a standalone at the same time as the bundle if they want to clear out all the old Slim stock?

[quote name='J7.']Was pointing out that you contradicted yourself, and if you don't want the games, then sell them. What do you think MS would do if they were in Sony's shoes? The same thing, but worse. Actually if you sold the additional content in that bundle you would make back more than the $20 extra it costs.

Don't buy an older Slim because "Sony isn't standing behind that model". What the hell does that mean? Why the hell would Sony introduce a standalone at the same time as the bundle if they want to clear out all the old Slim stock?[/QUOTE]

1. I didn't contradict myself. I said I'd either like a price drop on the older slims or newer ones available without being bundled. Where's the contradiction? Seriously, go back and find it. Point it out to me with the handy "quote" feature.

2. If they think that they can improve upon the old slims enough to justify a new version, why would I want to buy the older version? Sony itself thought the new one was a good enough upgrade to justify putting it out, why wouldn't I want the newer one, too? Does that make more sense to you?

Furthermore, why are you so fired up about another person's opinion or purchasing decisions? Does it infuriate you that I'd like to have the option to buy a new slim PS3 without having crap that I don't want (that I'm apparently supposed to take the time to sell off) bundled with it?

I don't understand why you're bringing up MS, anyway. With a new model out, I either want the old model to be discounted or the new one to be sold by itself. Pretty simple. I don't see how MS factors in.

I brought MS up in my 9/25 post only because someone was making an apples to oranges comparison that was completely inaccurate, not because I want to have a discussion about the two companies' business policies that inevitably turns into a console fanboy flame war.

If you really want to take the position that either a)consumers shouldn't want more options or b)consumers shouldn't voice the opinion that they want more options, I don't see how you can defend it. You know, other than with hyperbole like before when you said that $199 old PS3 slims would put Sony out of business.

[quote name='kit352']Anyone grab one yet? Id like to see some initial thoughts on it.[/QUOTE]

Ill try to get this thread back on topic....

Its awesome. I drove 45 miles to dallas for one. I love it. It wont shock you lke the ps2 slim did with smallness or lightness, but it is quite small and light. I love the old school sliding door, despite how odd it may seem at times.

the button that turns the system on and opens said sliding door is one long button, kinda odd and bad, but it works ok.

The build doesnt seem QUITE as cheap as i thought it would, but if youre looking for something that resembles a beast, get an original or a original xbox. haha

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']Ill try to get this thread back on topic....

Its awesome. I drove 45 miles to dallas for one. I love it. It wont shock you lke the ps2 slim did with smallness or lightness, but it is quite small and light. I love the old school sliding door, despite how odd it may seem at times.

the button that turns the system on and opens said sliding door is one long button, kinda odd and bad, but it works ok.

The build doesnt seem QUITE as cheap as i thought it would, but if youre looking for something that resembles a beast, get an original or a original xbox. haha[/QUOTE]

Good to hear! I think the design is pretty cool. I was initially reserved about the sliding lid mechanism because of the possibility for failure, but I can't deny its coolness, either. I may end up getting one when all of my reward zone certificates start rolling in from my bevy of preorders.

i think i'm gonna preorder the AC3 bundle from amazon.... never had a ps3 and it seems like a decent deal. i know i'm gonna be pissed when the next gen consoles get announced in the spring but screw it.

I really, really want a good bundle/deal on the older slims since my phat is on its last legs :/

The one at Wal-Mart.com is decent but it comes with an extra controller (+ old $20 game)...I don't need yet another controller. If only they would let us choose a game instead.

But I feel like if I wait too long the old models will no longer be able to be found.

[quote name='vince_carter']i think i'm gonna preorder the AC3 bundle from amazon.... never had a ps3 and it seems like a decent deal. i know i'm gonna be pissed when the next gen consoles get announced in the spring but screw it.[/QUOTE]

Nah. No way PS4 ends up being BC and there are a lot of great PS3 games.

[quote name='NeoUltima']I really, really want a good bundle/deal on the older slims since my phat is on its last legs :/

The one at Wal-Mart.com is decent but it comes with an extra controller (+ old $20 game)...I don't need yet another controller. If only they would let us choose a game instead.

But I feel like if I wait too long the old models will no longer be able to be found.

Nah. No way PS4 ends up being BC and there are a lot of great PS3 games.[/QUOTE]The Slims will most definetly be available for a discounted price this BF, most likely with a game or 2 attached to clear out stock. If anyone wants the older models, I think this november will be the last chance to get them with no hassle. After that I predict availability to be more rare

[quote name='vince_carter']i think i'm gonna preorder the AC3 bundle from amazon.... never had a ps3 and it seems like a decent deal. i know i'm gonna be pissed when the next gen consoles get announced in the spring but screw it.[/QUOTE]
You won't be pissed. If you've never had a PS3, there are a ton of titles you have yet to enjoy.

You won't be too pissed because PS4 ain't gonna have backwards compatibility. You'll save a lot of money if you play some PS3 games before getting every 720 game that interests you, assuming you only buy a 720.

[quote name='Havok83']The Slims will most definetly be available for a discounted price this BF, most likely with a game or 2 attached to clear out stock. If anyone wants the older models, I think this november will be the last chance to get them with no hassle. After that I predict availability to be more rare[/QUOTE]

^ what he said.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']Ill try to get this thread back on topic....

The build doesnt seem QUITE as cheap as i thought it would, but if youre looking for something that resembles a beast, get an original or a original xbox. haha[/QUOTE]

I will say this after lugging my Fat 60GB system in the original box into GS tonight and coming out with one of these SuperSlims I was actually blown away. It is going to be so nice to not have a lead block to move around.

[quote name='kit352']Anyone grab one yet? Id like to see some initial thoughts on it.[/QUOTE]

I picked one up. Overall, it's really nice. The unit is pretty small and very quiet. The sliding door does feel kind of cheap. In fact, the plastic on top of the console is pretty crappy in that it is really soft, and scratches extremely easy. I barely used mine and it has permanent scratches all over the top/front piece. It's just lower quality materials compared to the older versions.

[quote name='mrwogs2']I picked one up. Overall, it's really nice. The unit is pretty small and very quiet. The sliding door does feel kind of cheap. In fact, the plastic on top of the console is pretty crappy in that it is really soft, and scratches extremely easy. I barely used mine and it has permanent scratches all over the top/front piece. It's just lower quality materials compared to the older versions.[/QUOTE]

Scratches already? From the sliding door?

[quote name='mrwogs2']I picked one up. Overall, it's really nice. The unit is pretty small and very quiet. The sliding door does feel kind of cheap. In fact, the plastic on top of the console is pretty crappy in that it is really soft, and scratches extremely easy. I barely used mine and it has permanent scratches all over the top/front piece. It's just lower quality materials compared to the older versions.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about this? because everything I have seen and read suggests that it is noticeably louder, particularly the disc drive nosies, than the 3000 model released last year. I hope you're right, though, but I just seem to be getting some conflicting information

I'm waiting for the Assassin's Creed III 500GB bundle with the free month of PSN+ because its the better value compared to the $270 model. Since I have no interest in AC III and will sell it on ebay with the PSN+ card, I'll get double the hard drive capacity, still be able to buy and play Uncharted 3 for $20 (not GOTY) and still have extra money left over.

Since I'll have almost $450 in credit, im just waiting for Best Buy to allow store pickup pre-orders for this bundle which will hopefully be sooner rather than later.

As for Wii U, no thanks. As for Xbox 3 and PS4, no thanks to them too. After this generation dies, im done with current and future gaming. Just no point anymore.

[quote name='dan77733']
As for Wii U, no thanks. As for Xbox 3 and PS4, no thanks to them too. After this generation dies, im done with current and future gaming. Just no point anymore.[/QUOTE]

What? Why? I'm genuinely curious. It's not like this has been a short console life cycle...it'll have been like 8 years at least once the next ones come out, not to mention that good games will come out for the current gen systems for another couple of years at least.

What did you put on the top that scratched it?

[quote name='akathatoneguy']What? Why? I'm genuinely curious. It's not like this has been a short console life cycle...it'll have been like 8 years at least once the next ones come out, not to mention that good games will come out for the current gen systems for another couple of years at least.[/QUOTE]

2014 is my guess for Xbox 3 and PS4.

Once this generation dies, I'll sell off my 360 and PS3 and just stick with my slim PS2 and probably buy back an SNES. The reasons are simple actually -

1) Too much money for less. Now, you pay $60 for a game but then spend more money to unlock stuff in the game, extra characters, missions, etc. to where the cost is just insane. Online passes too. When I see stuff available for purchase for avatars, I know gaming is going downhill. Seriously, I have purchased some DLC for games but not much and none whatsoever for themes and avatar stuff. Just think thats flushing money down the toilet.

2) Online/Digital Download. I dont play online and could care less about it. When I need to be a Gold member just to download a roster for Madden 13, there's a problem. PS3 is free to play and whatnot but that will change with PS4. Speaking of Madden 13, its a perfect example. M13 is meant to be played online which makes it useless to me. And people dont realize that the more you're willing to pay to play online, the greater the chances are that next gen systems go all digital which would be horrible because there's no reason for any publisher (especially those like EA, Activision, Capcom, etc.) to ever lower the price. Game releases at $60 and STAYS at that price forever because there would be no other way to play the game. Also, if the game is crap or you dont like it or finished it and wont play it again, you're stuck with it and cant sell it to get back some money to put towards an upcoming game.

3) The death of used games. Online passes are the start of this. Buying a game used and then having to buy an online pass to play the game online? What a rip off. Also, if you buy a game used, you're getting it cheaper than new which is another reason why I think that eventually consoles will be all digital. It eliminates so much in one move and favors those making the money.

4) Achievements/Trophies, etc. I hate all this crap. I think that a lot of games get played extra just because of this as opposed to the game actually being worth playing again. I hate having to create an avatar and keeping a record of every game I played especially when I cant delete the game. Just prefer the old days of plug and play.

5) DLC. I have bought some DLC for games because I wanted to keep playing them which is why now, I try finishing the game within a week or two and sell it because if I see DLC that I actually want to play (Sleeping Dogs would be a perfect example for me), I'll keep buying it which means it will just increase which long term is a bad thing. Also, combine this with Digital Download only and you'll have companies selling games via DD along with DLC content so instead of $60, you'll have to pay $80, $100 or even more but wont be able to do anything about it because you'll have no other way of playing the game.

6) All this extra stuff. Netflix, Hulu, etc. A video game console is meant to do just that - play games. If I wanted to do all this extra stuff, I wouldnt turn on my game console and pop in a game. Worse, there's too much focus on all of this crap when the focus should be on the games themselves. More worse is the fact that you need Gold to use all the apps which is nuts. If I wanted to watch Netflix, I would pay the $8, get an HDMI cable, connect my laptop to my HDTV and save $60 for Gold and the result is the same. Core aspects of video games are becoming less and less of a priority which is sad because thats what you're paying for to begin with but arent getting.

7) WiiMotion, Kinect, Move. UGH. I hate all this motion sensor camera whatever crap. Give me a damn controller, turn the system on, put in the disc and get out of my way so I can play the game. This is all just gimmicky crap. Granted, its made Nintendo a LOT of money and build their user base for Wii U but at the same time, majority of those people werent playing video games 20 years ago like I was. I want more traditional games that are worth the price and worth playing without any of this extra crap that should be in the game to begin with instead of being added as $15 DLC.

8) Manuals/Booklets. This is meaningless to most but important to me. Now, I open a new game and I see a two page manual telling me to go online to see the full manual. I remember back when I bought Chrono Trigger for SNES and the manual was like 80 something pages. Buying and opening games back then was actually exciting and that was before playing the game. This is also another reason why gaming will go all digital sooner rather than later.

9) Length of majority of games are too short. Some games are just over too damn fast even though majority of people exaggerate (especially on review sites) the game length. Short game length also means more DLC and more money spent for less.

10) Missions/chapters, etc. that require online play even though the single player story does not. Lone example is the prologue in Splinter Cell Conviction. Wanted to play it but dont play online and have no freinds that care about SCC so im stuck. Why you couldnt control Archer (or Kestrel) and have the CPU AI control the other guy is beyond me. See how this gen has taken away the focus from single player games to online, online, its all online?

Thats pretty much it. The only things I like about this era of gaming are (but not without faults) -

1) XBLA/PSN. Games like Outland, Lara Croft, Shadow Complex, Rainbow Moon, etc. are damn good games, far cheaper at $15 (or $10 in Outland's case) and actually better than majority of retail games. Granted, I prefer disc based games but I can understand games like these being released this way because they wont make any money but at least they're good games. Also, I have realized that XBLA/PSN games dont all have DLC for them which is a positive. Some do but compared to retail games, isnt not even close. Rainbow Moon for example is arguably the RPG of the year and its only $15. I will say all that DLC add on crap they have for it is just way too much. Cash for in-game coins? Seriously, WTF? Aside from that, I have actually played more XBLA/PSN games than I have retail games because quite simply, they're better, more fun and less money and more times than not, no DLC.

2) Patches. This is good to fix bugs, problems, glitches, etc. but the problem is that because of this, extra problems make it into the final retail product which shouldnt happen. Sometimes I think that companies dont even test their games figuring that the consumers will do it for them, complain and then, they can just release a patch to shut everyone up.

3) Ability to share files. Perfect example would be NBA 2K11. When I went online to download the roster update on PS3, I see all these classic rosters and stuff which brought back good memories. Stuff like this is good. Charging extra money for it or to be a Gold member to access this stuff is not. Gold member comment mainly towards Madden. Dont know if any other game has the same problems.

4) DLC. Yeah, few times, I bought DLC. Would I rather have it die? Yes but with that said, if the DLC is good and cheap, its worth it. If not, then nope. Perfect example for me is Splinter Cell Conviction. Love the game and loved Deniable Ops. Paying $10 for the Insurgency Pack was worth the price because it was good, solid to good length and added more playing time to Deniable Ops which I loved. Worse part of DLC is that companies take advantage of us with it. But then again, if everyone buys DLC (including me), they will continue doing it so I guess I cant complain that much.

Anyway, thats pretty much it. Sorry for the long ass book but you said you were curious. LOL. :)

^didnt read your whole post, only point number one.
I assume most CAGs spend minimum amount (if not negative) of money playing games. :lol:
I have never purchased any (yes, any) DLC in my life, I refuse to fuel this business model.

[quote name='dan77733']
10) Missions/chapters, etc. that require online play even though the single player story does not. Lone example is the prologue in Splinter Cell Conviction. Wanted to play it but dont play online and have no freinds that care about SCC so im stuck. Why you couldnt control Archer (or Kestrel) and have the CPU AI control the other guy is beyond me. See how this gen has taken away the focus from single player games to online, online, its all online?
[/QUOTE]

Out of all the reasons you listed, THIS is the most on spot one why gaming will be dead to me after this generation wraps. Actually, it already pretty much is dead to me right now.

Ever since Call of Duty became a "cool" mainstream cashcow, every company in existance has to shoe-horn online and online only co-op into every single game imaginable, at the EXPENSE of the single player experience (cough cough Mass Effect 3 for God's sake cough cough). All that online rubbish takes up valueable disc space that could have been used to make the single player longer and better.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Out of all the reasons you listed, THIS is the most on spot one why gaming will be dead to me after this generation wraps. Actually, it already pretty much is dead to me right now.

Ever since Call of Duty became a "cool" mainstream cashcow, every company in existance has to shoe-horn online and online only co-op into every single game imaginable, at the EXPENSE of the single player experience (cough cough Mass Effect 3 for God's sake cough cough). All that online rubbish takes up valueable disc space that could have been used to make the single player longer and better.[/QUOTE]

armored core is another tradegy of this armored core 5 im enjoying it but the hire CPU mercs is greyed out for all but the online part of the game. and some story mode missions are downright insane to do solo.

Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I got mine Sunday and have pretty much just been downloading all my PSN purchases and PS+ freebies. I haven't even tried putting a disc in yet. I'm not even sure how it opens/closes. It seems to have a button that pops it open, but doesn't close it? I dunno - will check it out some time though ;). The button is just sort of the left side of the front of the system and does seem pretty cheesy (the whole "bar" with the PS logo pushes in on one side only and as such doesn't feel like a button at all).

All in all, I probably prefer the regular Slim. It is definitely an improvement over the fat system I replaced though. It is whisper quiet and I can already tell it puts out WAY less heat. It isn't hot to the touch even after being on all day downloading games. And the room it is in used to get really hot with the old system in there and isn't doing that any more.

All of that combined with the GS trade-in deal on my old system ($180) plus the slightly increased storage (160 GB -> 250 GB), not to mention the UC3 GotY made it well worth it. My main PS3 is a slim that I put a 750GB HD in. But this 250 is mostly for my son and can hold all the games he wants. With the 160 I had to pick and choose - that 90 makes a huge difference (as that is an increase in actual usable space). He was missing out on a lot of games we had in our purchase history because I couldn't fit them on the old system.

Not sure Mass Effect 3 is the best example only because the online component is actually fun and well supported. Now Dead Space 2 had an absolutely horrible MP. I get the point though.

Most games are short nowadays. I'm glad I'm able to wait until the GOTY version is out, or the game is super cheap. I hate the online aspect of games too. Most of my friends don't play the same games that I do so I prefer not to play with random people online. I do love co-op games though. My girl and I just finished Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, and Rayman. Simply amazing games. The other thing I don't like about this generation is that more single player content isn't added to the games I enjoy. Like any of the Uncharted games, I'd love if I could do a few more missions but it's all online based content. I honestly think the only way I'm buying the next generation of consoles is if they support full backwards compatibility. I have you many games that I need to finish. Time will tell though.

[quote name='JP73']Are you sure about this? because everything I have seen and read suggests that it is noticeably louder, particularly the disc drive nosies, than the 3000 model released last year. I hope you're right, though, but I just seem to be getting some conflicting information[/QUOTE]

It's quiet - I didn't notice any significant drive noise when playing a few games yesterday. The soft plastic issue is a bigger deal for me, honestly. you can just run your finger nail across it (not even pressing down hard) and it will permanently mark up the top (the shiny plastic piece in the front and back of the top).

[quote name='TooPoor']^didnt read your whole post, only point number one.
I assume most CAGs spend minimum amount (if not negative) of money playing games. :lol:
I have never purchased any (yes, any) DLC in my life, I refuse to fuel this business model.[/QUOTE]

Considering how much DLC there is available, I havent purchased that much. Bought Enslaved, Mafia 2 DLC add-ons, Renegade Ops and SCC. It seems like its more than what it is. If you're getting at least 10+ hours of new content for $10 or less, then I dont mind paying if its good. But just for an hour or so is no good. I guess im more 50/50 on DLC but I would eliminate it 100% if it was entirely up to me. A game like Outland is a 2D platforming classic for $10 and NO DLC whatsoever. Thats the way it should be.

As for money spent on games, I would probably be retired if I knew how much I spent in my life time. And majority of the time, I dont regret spending the money on games as long as I know im going to enjoy it. I bought RE 6 but sold it on ebay for $61 sealed. Add in the $20 credit for BB thats I'll get and even after ebay/paypal fees, I'll still make a profit.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Out of all the reasons you listed, THIS is the most on spot one why gaming will be dead to me after this generation wraps. Actually, it already pretty much is dead to me right now.

Ever since Call of Duty became a "cool" mainstream cashcow, every company in existance has to shoe-horn online and online only co-op into every single game imaginable, at the EXPENSE of the single player experience (cough cough Mass Effect 3 for God's sake cough cough). All that online rubbish takes up valueable disc space that could have been used to make the single player longer and better.[/QUOTE]

Single player games are becoming obsolete more and more. As long as there's millions of people who pay to play online, no reason for single player games or disc based games.

I said it back in 2002 when I first purchased NFL 2K3 and downloaded the roster update. As great as that was at the time, I knew it was going to be the reason why I would eventually quit gaming.

[quote name='dan77733']

Anyway, thats pretty much it. Sorry for the long ass book but you said you were curious. LOL. :)[/QUOTE]

No worries, I asked for it! You actually had a lot of well-thought out reasons, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference, which I can't dispute. If I may play devil's advocate on a few of your points, though:

#1- Games have been $50+ for a long time. I remember NES games were $50, and most of them could be beat within a few hours or less.

#2- I personally don't think we'll be looking at JUST digital downloads for a long, long time. The last time I looked up the stats, something like 20% of the United States does not have access to broadband internet (even if they wanted to have it), mostly in rural areas. Furthermore, if they stop selling games in stores, stores will stop carrying their systems. Whichever system became the first to do so would have to have massive balls, because if (for instance) MS decided to go all digital and Wal-Mart said "eff you then, we're not selling your systems if you won't have us selling your games", it would be a massive advantage to Sony.

#3- That's another thing I don't see happening, at least not in the next generation of games.

As far as the extra stuff (achievements, entertainment apps, DLC) I would say that you don't have to participate if you don't want to. Of course, with achievements you have no choice...I guess you can turn off alerts so it doesn't interrupt your gaming, but you will still be earning them regardless. And yeah, it sucks when story-based DLC comes out which is overpriced, but I personally just don't buy stuff on Day 1. Even stuff like Dawnguard I will just wait on until it's on sale.

As far as game length, like I said, I remember the NES days of paying $50 for a 2-3 hour game (or at least, having your parents pay that much, ha ha). I'm always surprised when people say that games today don't have the value that they used to, since with every generation they have gotten longer and longer while prices have stayed right around $50-60.

Anyway though, a lot of your points are very good ones (I miss manuals, too!) and many of them are about personal preference- which is "to each their own" territory. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']No worries, I asked for it! You actually had a lot of well-thought out reasons, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference, which I can't dispute. If I may play devil's advocate on a few of your points, though:

#1- Games have been $50+ for a long time. I remember NES games were $50, and most of them could be beat within a few hours or less.
[/QUOTE]

Some of the N64 games were $80... Also there was no ongoing development costs/patches.

[quote name='io']Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I got mine Sunday and have pretty much just been downloading all my PSN purchases and PS+ freebies. I haven't even tried putting a disc in yet. I'm not even sure how it opens/closes. It seems to have a button that pops it open, but doesn't close it? I dunno - will check it out some time though ;). The button is just sort of the left side of the front of the system and does seem pretty cheesy (the whole "bar" with the PS logo pushes in on one side only and as such doesn't feel like a button at all).
[/QUOTE]

io...I was just wondering what your impressions are of the slide out tray on your new UC3 system??

I am debating trading in my fat 80GB and upgrading to this or the AC III system but for some reasion this slide out tray is a real sticking point for me.

It's probably because I have never had any problems with the 80GB system I have now and had to replace my Phat PS2 twice because of silde out tray malfunction issues...anyways I'm just a little wary of the slide out tray and respect your opinion...

thanks

bread's done
Back