A new way to make the bed

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Damn...Never thought I'd be this jazzed about something as pedestrian as bed linens, but life is weird.

Anyway, so my wife comes home recently with a new comforter and duvet cover and says that she read online about this method of making the bed that's popular in Europe and is supposedly really great. I shrug but go along with it. Like most couples, we often get annoyed because one or the other person (usually me) steals all the covers, and this supposedly addresses that, so that was motivation enough.

Here's what it involves:

- First, buy a down (this is important...and make sure you're not allergic to goose down) comforter or duvet a size larger than your bed. For example, we have a queen, so we bought a king.

- Buy a duvet cover (a washable cover that goes around the comforter since you can't wash the comforter itself) of the same size.

- Make the bed using only the fitted or bottom sheet and of course the pillowcases. Do not use the top sheet. The duvet IS the top sheet.

The extra size allows plenty of covers and, in combination with the down, keeps you very well insulated without the need for a sheet or blankets and without actually having to tuck anything in. Also, because nothing's tucked in, you don't have that restraining feeling at your feet or anywhere. And you there's less laundry to do.

It feels a little weird at first not to have at least a sheet, but damn if it isn't warm and super comfortable. No fights about cover hogging, lots of freedom of movement, less laundry, and making the bed means just throwing the duvet over everything.

Those Europeans are on to something.

Those wacky Euros will do anything to get out of washing up.

Next thing your wife will come home with a new way to let her armpit hair grow.

;););)

[quote name='camoor']Those wacky Euros will do anything to get out of washing up.

Next thing your wife will come home with a new way to let her armpit hair grow.

;););)[/QUOTE]

lolz and her legs!

I stopped at "duvet cover."

Until I'm married, I want to remain clueless as to what exactly that means/is.

Your problem isnt that you are a cover hog, its that you have a queen (read: small) sized bed...my wife and I have always had bed issues with our queen sized bed...we upgraded to a california king a few months ago and havent had one problem since......get a bigger bed

PS - when I read the thread title i thought it was going to be some youtube vid of some japanese people making the bed crazy fast like that one shirt folding vid

[quote name='QiG']I stopped at "duvet cover."

Until I'm married, I want to remain clueless as to what exactly that means/is.[/quote]

Good man.

[quote name='Malik112099']Your problem isnt that you are a cover hog, its that you have a queen (read: small) sized bed...my wife and I have always had bed issues with our queen sized bed...we upgraded to a california king a few months ago and havent had one problem since......get a bigger bed

PS - when I read the thread title i thought it was going to be some youtube vid of some japanese people making the bed crazy fast like that one shirt folding vid[/quote]

A bigger bed would be great. But we live in a 1927 bungalow, which means anything bigger than a queen ain't gonna fit in our bedroom without knocking down some walls. ;)

So that's what I got from Ikea... I bought a set just like that a few months ago, except I haven't put it on the bed yet because I don't have a fitted sheet that matches, and the individual pieces at Ikea didn't match either (what the funkengruuven, Ikea?). I found all the colors that match it at Target, except for the color I like (dark burgundy). I'm just not sure I can sleep on lime green or neon orange sheets. XP

[quote name='Tybee']A bigger bed would be great. But we live in a 1927 bungalow, which means anything bigger than a queen ain't gonna fit in our bedroom without knocking down some walls. ;)[/quote]

it'll work if you want it to...I live in 1950's military base housing....

[quote name='Malik112099']it'll work if you want it to...I live in 1950's military base housing....[/quote]

lol...I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the room is 9' x 9' and we like actually being able to walk to the door. ;) But seriously, we like the way it is. It's a very nice bed (Stickley) and we're fine in terms of mattress real estate. It's the dog that's the main problem, and when he takes up too much space, we kick his furry ass off. :roll:

I've done that for years. I can't stand the feeling of sheets and I always get a comforter much bigger than my bed. It's a pain in the ass to get the duvet cover all the way onto the comforter though.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I've done that for years. I can't stand the feeling of sheets and I always get a comforter much bigger than my bed. It's a pain in the ass to get the duvet cover all the way onto the comforter though.[/quote]

Yeah, that IS a pain in the ass, especially when you have to do it by yourself. Gotta get it in the corners. Not too bad with two people, though. My wife and I race to see who can get the most buttons done. She almost always wins. :roll:

one thing I do recommend bed-wise is tempur-pedic (memory foam). We didn't feel like dropping the cash on a tempur-pedic mattress so we bought a 4 inch memory foam topper off overstock...OMFG it is the best thing ever...I have never slept better

Yeah, that's a neat idea and all, but I'm gonna pass. Mainly because I hate comforters. My g/f and I share a king, and we just have two separate top sheets. That's been working pretty well for us.

bread's done
Back