A personal tale of corporate waste...

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I start work for a Big 4 accounting firm next week, training at Indianapolis. One of my former classmates also starts training at a different Big 4 accounting firm next week. Except her training is in Rome, Italy. Yes, Rome, when she works in the Midwest. Her plane fare probably costs more than the entire training week for me in Indy. I am rather jealous of her going there for training, but when I think about it, that's one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever heard of from a company. In the recession, when revenues are down and they're laying off people, forgoing raises, and lowering starting wages, they are still doing this. What the bloody hell. I don't think I'd want to work for a company that pulls shit like that.

Anyone else have tales of waste from their companies/former companies they'd like to share?

EDIT: I read an article that says they laid off 50 people from my classmate's office last month. This is actually a significant amount since there are about 1000 people in that office. Yet they are sending entry-level hires to Rome for training. Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin's wife works for JCPenney doing window decoration and stuff. They sent her to California to train to do this. From Tennessee to California, for a week i think.

Just seemed ridiculous that they'd send you across the country to learn how to tell curtains.

Have fun in Indy. I work downtown.

I learned a long time ago to not worry about how much my hospital wastes. Just take advantage of it and get some great training and some great travel experiences.

When you're PwC or Deloitte you can afford to send your people wherever the hell you want.

And if you "don't want to work" for a company like that they couldn't give less of a shit because they have 500 people waiting in the wings to take your spot.

Companies are gonna have conspicuous consumption to attract the best possible candidates, that's how it works.

On topic: I knew people interning for Goldman during college who were getting like $30 or more an hour to go fetch coffee.

[quote name='depascal22']Have fun in Indy. I work downtown.

I learned a long time ago to not worry about how much my hospital wastes. Just take advantage of it and get some great training and some great travel experiences.[/QUOTE]

Do me a solid and don't fuck my wife at the Kenny Chesney concert next weekend.

EDIT: As far as the friend training in Rome, your friend's employer is probably controlled by the Mafia or the Church. It is a lot easier for a Don to asses him in their country than his.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Do me a solid and don't fuck my wife at the Kenny Chesney concert next weekend.

EDIT: As far as the friend training in Rome, your friend's employer is probably controlled by the Mafia or the Church. It is a lot easier for a Don to asses him in their country than his.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I thought that, but they are actually HQed in the Netherlands.

Here's another post and discussion about what I am talking about:
http://goingconcern.com/2009/09/kpmger-has-a-question-for-the.php

[quote name='Icen']When you're PwC or Deloitte you can afford to send your people wherever the hell you want.

And if you "don't want to work" for a company like that they couldn't give less of a shit because they have 500 people waiting in the wings to take your spot.

Companies are gonna have conspicuous consumption to attract the best possible candidates, that's how it works.

On topic: I knew people interning for Goldman during college who were getting like $30 or more an hour to go fetch coffee.[/QUOTE]
Well, I got sent on a trip to Florida after getting a full-time offer once my internship was done. However, that actually makes sense IMO. You haven't accepted the offer yet, so they want to sweeten the deal and let you know that the company is all awesome and shit because they're giving you a free vacation (with "team-building exercises" and such sprinkled in). Taking someone who already has been hired on a trip halfway around the world simply for training really does not have any type of recruiting incentive. They'll just be all the more let down once they actually start the job.

That person is more likely to stay on for more trips though.

And FoC, I'll wait until we get back to the hotel.....it's too dirty at concerts.

[quote name='depascal22']That person is more likely to stay on for more trips though.

And FoC, I'll wait until we get back to the hotel.....it's too dirty at concerts.[/QUOTE]

Thank the gods.

Just a heads up: she'll be with one of her friends. However, the friend has bad credit from her recent third divorce. You want to have sex with the white, larger woman WITH the wedding ring.

bread's done
Back