a quandry

Lootr2Core

CAGiversary!
An opinions? Was offered a job today that is about 33% increase in pay, offers 'seniority' which for my age is pretty unusual, and is in a 'bigger' town, hard thing is last night the board gave me a 5,000 dollar raise, love small town living, am a 'big fish in small pond', any thoughts?

[quote name='Lootr2Core']An opinions? Was offered a job today that is about 33% increase in pay, offers 'seniority' which for my age is pretty unusual, and is in a 'bigger' town, hard thing is last night the board gave me a 5,000 dollar raise, love small town living, am a 'big fish in small pond', any thoughts?[/quote]

If you're happy where you are, I see no reason to leave. That is alot of money though ...

Exactly.. I love where I'm at, but might love the next town.. plus basically a 15,000 raise..... man but I love it here..

Don't forget to figure in the cost of living in the big city tho. You probably won't be getting as big a raise as you think.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']man but I love it here..[/quote]

Either the location listed in your profile is a reference to your avatar, or your's and my definition of a good place to live differ exponentially.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']..... man but I love it here..[/quote]

I think you just answered your own question.

Everybody's gotta work, but not everybody gets to like their job. If you enjoy what you do & it pays the bills you've got it better than just about everybody else.

[quote name='greendc27']Don't forget to figure in the cost of living in the big city tho. You probably won't be getting as big a raise as you think.[/quote]

the 'big city' is from a town of 300 to a town of 2500 in between to large metro areas.. cost of living increase=0

I say stay where you are. You are happy and settled and it's good to be the "big fish in a small pond".

Good luck

Were you offered a job out of the blue or have you been putting your resume out there? If it's the latter, seems like you have been looking for some greener pastures, think hard before letting that extra $5k from your current job kill a new opportunity.

[quote name='eraser813']I say stay where you are. You are happy and settled and it's good to be the "big fish in a small pond".

Good luck[/quote]I do not know that this is always true, All of the fisherman always come after that one big fish!

Take the better job. It sounds like you are relatively young so go for it. You will have plenty of time to get comfortable somewhere else. After college I had a decent job paying around $55k per year but I quickly realized that I was not going to be well off making that kind of money.... so I go to grad school and three years later I've almost tripled that and the sky is the limit. Yeah it sucks working all the time and being a faceless employee of a giant company but at least I feel like I'm going to be better off financially in the long run which will hopefully give me the opportunity to lead a better life. Never take the easy way out when it comes to things like this.

Its not that big of a city and youd still be a big fish, just in a bigger pond. Plus youd be closer to your brother.

On the other hand, that town kind of smells.

You should way the cost of the raise, benefits, job stability for each job, and pain in the ass to relocate in making your decision. Leaving freinds and family is not that big a deal if it is just to the next town, and there is always weekends, email and telephones.
What good is a 15k raise if you will not have your job in 5+ years.
For me its all about liking what you do and being happy at work, so taking the chance that your next job will be as good as your current is a pretty big risk.
Tough choice for you .

job is one that has great security.. it won't disappear, Also it is the same 'type of job.. think a doctor in one hospital is similar to another'......

[quote name='Lootr2Core']job is one that has great security.. it won't disappear, Also it is the same 'type of job.. think a doctor in one hospital is similar to another'......[/quote]

Job security
Potential for future growth/advancement
Does one require substantially more hours/work than the other
Is one more enjoyable than the other
How much more money is involved, do you have to relocate, will they compensate you for relocation costs, will it cost you more to live in the next place
Who do you know at the other company/is there anyone there that can cover your ass if you f- up?

Job security is huge right now, I knew people that took raises elsewhere and ended up out of a job while the people that stayed are still employed. If you're basically as high as you're going to ever be at your current job as far as position goes, and there is potential for substantial advancement at a new job, then that should be strongly considered. Don't think about today, think 5 years from now. Where will you be better off? How much authority you have could also be a factor.

EDIT: Benefits too.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Lootr2Core']man but I love it here..[/quote]

Either the location listed in your profile is a reference to your avatar, or your's and my definition of a good place to live differ exponentially.[/quote]:rofl:

I guess nobody else thought this was funny, but I was LMAO. :D

bread's done
Back