A question about the harddrive

nneace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Is there any way to save your game or load your game from the harddrive, while playing. I tried to with Champions of Norrath, and it wont recognize the file.

You tried to load CoN and it wouldn't recognize the file? I think you need to save to a memory card first and then transfer the save to the HDD. Only some games can save directly to the HDD.

Sorry, it showed that no file was there, so then i had to load it from the memory card. I was a little bummed

it's pretty useful if you look at it the right way. I like it because its the biggest memory card ever (with a few games supporting it).

you can transfer your saves back and forth. its a little cumbersome but it's well worth it IMO. but I can see how some people don't like it.

The only use I found for it was FFXI and the 2005 Sega sports games. Other than that, it appears that only Resident Evil and Socom use it.

I quit FFXI and got tired of the HDD forcing the PS2 to take 10 seconds to start up. I yanked out the HDD and sold it on Ebay for $98 (I had the FFXI expansion).

[quote name='stormenmormon']it's pretty useful if you look at it the right way. I like it because its the biggest memory card ever (with a few games supporting it).

you can transfer your saves back and forth. its a little cumbersome but it's well worth it IMO. but I can see how some people don't like it.[/quote]

I'd pick one up just for that reason. I'ts got to be more efficient than shuffling memory cards. I'm waiting for them to hit $50

[quote name='nneace']I will admit tho, GTA San Andreas seems to load a lot faster with it in![/quote]
GTA: SA uses the Hard Drive? Thats news to me.

GTA: San Andreas does not use the HDD.

Games that do:
Resident Evil: Outbreak
Final Fantasy XI
SOCOM II
The current Sega 2K5 sports games

Compare this list to the dozen or so Japanese games that support the HDD. Admittedly, almost all of these games simply install files to the HDD to decrease loading times. It was nice to see Sega use the HDD to improve gameplay, similar to how Xbox games use their hard drive.

I suspect that there will be zero new PS2 games that have HDD support. If Sony had released the HDD shortly after the PS2 release and included the browser software (as they did in Japan), then things would have been different. As it is now, it seems that the whole HDD idea might have been a waste of time and money, both for the companies and the consumers.

[quote name='Zing']GTA: San Andreas does not use the HDD.

Games that do:
Final Fantasy XI
SOCOM II

Compare this list to the dozen or so Japanese games that support the HDD. Admittedly, almost all of these games simply install files to the HDD to decrease loading times. It was nice to see Sega use the HDD to improve gameplay, similar to how Xbox games use their hard drive.

I suspect that there will be zero new PS2 games that have HDD support. If Sony had released the HDD shortly after the PS2 release and included the browser software (as they did in Japan), then things would have been different. As it is now, it seems that the whole HDD idea might have been a waste of time and money, both for the companies and the consumers.[/quote]

What I would like to see is some developers making some special features on their games those of us that bought these HDDs that were hoping for more than just being able to save directly with ESPN Sports games and make load times faster on a handful of games.

[quote name='Zing']GTA: San Andreas does not use the HDD.

Games that do:
Final Fantasy XI
SOCOM II

I suspect that there will be zero new PS2 games that have HDD support. If Sony had released the HDD shortly after the PS2 release and included the browser software (as they did in Japan), then things would have been different. As it is now, it seems that the whole HDD idea might have been a waste of time and money, both for the companies and the consumers.[/quote]

Well it was well worth the purchase for me since I can basically store my entire library of PS2 games on my hard drive using HDLoader and reduce load times significantly as well. You can get 120 Gig drives now for cheap (and may of us have spare HDs lying around) and HDloader only cost me $30 when I pre-ordered it.

I do wish they would come out with a utility to allow you to store your saves to an HDLoader formatted drive, but oh well, there's other devices for that.

I hope that the future consoles will come with Hard Drives but we'll see. Given that Sony sells their 8MB memory cards for $25, I doubt they'll take a different approach with the PS3. They will probably just use Memory Sticks.

When I had the Xbox, I loved the fact that I didn't need a memory card and everything just saved directly to the hard drive. That is, until I wanted to copy my saved games off of it. For several of my games, the saved games were actually larger than the Xbox memory card.

That sucked. A lot.

I can just imagine an Xbox owner, with no way to back up his saved games, sending their system to MS for warranty work and getting it back with a reformatted hard drive.

Any chance of using USB HDs/flash drives with the PSTwo?

Zing: I've encountered games for the GC and PS2 that do NOT let you move them.

bread's done
Back