A thread dedicated to Overtime

fatherofcaitlyn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
I'm working five hours of OT today. I've worked 12 hours of OT already this week.

I genuinely prefer my job while making 150% of my pay than when I'm only making 100% of my pay.

Sure, the wife complains, but smaller bills makes it easier to handle her complaining.

Here's to hoping enough customers call in to force the company to pay double OT.

Overtime for managers where I work is straight time. The crazy thing is people sign up for it like iit's the best thing ever. Think it has to do with how under paid we are....

i work 4 10 hour days per week, so i dont do overtime that often (even though its pretty regularly available at my job). i dont go over 10 hours ever, but occasionally i come in for 4 or 6 hour shifts on my 3rd day off.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i work 4 10 hour days per week, so i dont do overtime that often (even though its pretty regularly available at my job). i dont go over 10 hours ever, but occasionally i come in for 4 or 6 hour shifts on my 3rd day off.[/QUOTE]

I have something similar set up. I worked some long work days, but I never go past 40 hours a week. I sometimes get an extra day off to compensate for the long hours. Wish I could get OT. OT has to be approved by a manger first, and non of my managers will approve OT, especially during these times.

[quote name='kube00']Working in the tech world, OT happens a lot, one week I had 15 hrs, I regularly get 3-5 hrs a week[/QUOTE]

One of my coworkers is putting in 40 hours of OT this week and put in 40 last week.

He has no kids of course.

I worked assloads of OT my first summer before college.

Payed off all my tuition, bills, + had money left for games.

I went to Community College tho.

Salaries are a fuckin' rip off. It's a scam to get free overtime out of employees.

I work overtime every chance I can, but there's usually no work. I make $25 an hour OT, and that's pretty good for being 19. :D I didn't work today, but my partner is coming back from vacation, so I think I'll get 10 or 12 hours this week, we'll see.

Also, isn't it a law that you have to pay time and a half for anything over 40 hours? Or is that only in some states?

I was doing 4 10 hour shifts and I would just make them 4 12 and a half hour shifts. I would be standing most the time and it was fine. No I sit all day at the building I am at and they changed it to 3 12 hour shifts and the last day is 6 hours. We just got OT back and I have been doing as much as I can but am taking this weekend and next weekend off from it. After that it is on 6 12 hour shifts every other week. On the weeks that I don't do the 6 I will chances are do 5.

The thing that pisses me off about OT is paying taxes. I think that if the government really wants the economy to get better they should cut the tax on anything over 40 hours.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I work overtime every chance I can, but there's usually no work. I make $25 an hour OT, and that's pretty good for being 19. :D I didn't work today, but my partner is coming back from vacation, so I think I'll get 10 or 12 hours this week, we'll see.

Also, isn't it a law that you have to pay time and a half for anything over 40 hours? Or is that only in some states?[/QUOTE]

It is if you get paid hourly then you get time and a half in most if not all states. However if you are salary you don't but the good thing about salary is if you take a day off and have not vacation or any other time you can take you still get paid. Some places give an hour for every x hours worked over your weekly hours if you are salary. The bad thing is some it is usually 1 hour for every 4 or 5 and you have to work 50 instead of 40 and them extra 10 hours dont count for the time off.

I usually get around 5-10 hours of OT per week. I could have more but I can't make myself come in any earlier 4:45 a.m. that's already getting up at 4 in the morning. I just can't get up with a 3 on the clock...

I'm salaried, but I still get OT pay of 1.5X for Sat./weekdays, and 2X for Sun. This weekend I worked 8 hours Sat., and plan to work 8 hours Sunday. I normally work OT almost every week, since I don't know what else to do when I'm not working.

[quote name='sendme']However if you are salary you don't but the good thing about salary is if you take a day off and have not vacation or any other time you can take you still get paid. Some places give an hour for every x hours worked over your weekly hours if you are salary. The bad thing is some it is usually 1 hour for every 4 or 5 and you have to work 50 instead of 40 and them extra 10 hours dont count for the time off.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm salaried, but I still get OT pay of 1.5X for Sat./weekdays, and 2X for Sun. This weekend I worked 8 hours Sat., and plan to work 8 hours Sunday. I normally work OT almost every week, since I don't know what else to do when I'm not working.[/QUOTE]

So.. wait. Am I getting screwed over because they never gave me a penny for any weekend work I've done and if I take a day off when I'm out of PTO (paid time off/vacation), I won't get paid for that day. :bomb:

I'm on salary with paid vacation however I get OT on any hours over 40, Saturdays, and holidays. During tax season which is January through April, my team averaged around 55 to 60 hour work weeks. We also had to come in every Saturday and on holidays during that period, but we get paid OT on holidays and are also paid for that full holiday (meaning if we worked 8 hours on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we'd get paid 8 hours OT and another 7 hours for that holiday). I have to admit that the beginning of tax season coincides beautifully with the end of Christmas and all the money I spent on gifts.

I really have no reason to complain but it is well into June and for some reason we are still averaging around 47 work weeks. Sure the bigger paychecks are great but it does take a toll on you 6 months in.

Count me in on salaried. I technically work four 10-hour shifts and normally end up with 40 hours each week, but have gone as high as 52 hours in a given week.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Why does father of caitlyn

Always type all of

his sentences

like bullet

points.[/QUOTE]

So you can

understand him

better

[quote name='QiG']So.. wait. Am I getting screwed over because they never gave me a penny for any weekend work I've done and if I take a day off when I'm out of PTO (paid time off/vacation), I won't get paid for that day. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It all depends on the laws where you are and the company you work for. For me they give time and a half on anything over 40. However that has to be 40 hours worked so if I take PTO/Vacation or have a day off for a holiday and get holiday pay I have to work another day or so to get my 40 hours back then I get over time. We do not get double time and they wont let us work 7 days however from what I hear some have been able to do it. My last job it was the day before your first day back for your work week you would get double. So if you worked monday-friday then sunday was double and if you worked sunday-wednsday then saturday would be the double time day. Some places do it where anything worked over an 8 hour day is over time.

So check into the laws for your state, county and city. Then see what your company offers. However if you are salary then chances are they don't have to do anything.

I put in 40 hours a week (salaried). Sometimes, I'd find myself leaving work an hour late here; 30 minutes there. Everyone on my team has been like that. We never used to get compensated for any of that extra time.

A couple months back, IT in our company restructured, and we can get paid overtime now. However, our manager doesn't want to pay it out. Anytime we work extra hours (on weekends or just later in the workday), we have to take that time off during our regular hours in the week. So, if I worked an extra hour on a Monday, I'd need to make sure to work 7 hours only another day of the week (to keep me at 40 hours).

The *only* time we get overtime pay is when we are on call and have to go in for a critical issue. Otherwise, we just take our time off of our standard 40 hours.

Kinda crummy.

The multi million dollar company I freelance for the most has only 3 full time employees, the rest of us are freelancers. Their salaried guys are seriously raped with the amount of hours they put into this job.

They regularly put in 60+ hours a week because there has to be 1 of them on each gig. The owner for one doesnt trust freelancer to begin with they will only call 6 different people and each one of the staff guys has to be on site for each gig.

Its not uncommon for me to do 3 separate gigs in separate locations on the same day for this company along side of one of the full time staff guys. Only difference is I get paid for every second I am there...he gets jack shit.

Thats why I try to charge by the hour for my service and will only accept a day rate if its twice the normal amount as my rate.

I get salary working as a letter carrier, but anything over 8 hours a day is time and a half and if i work over 8 hours a day everyday for a week then i get double time...usually i always get about an hour overtime a day even though i dont want it

I hate overtime. My free time is worth more to me than OT. I used to work a ton of OT when I worked in the postal service. At one point there I worked 20someodd consecutive days, including weekends/holidays. Never again.

Now I work for the Navy as a civilian and I never work OT if I can help it.

Rig,

Yea my company does something similar, take the time off later in the week to make up for the OT, it rarely happens we get too busy

I'll probably get 12 hours of OT this week if any.

My wife got Caitlyn to ask me to come home on time on her last day of school.

We are supposedly going to a party at her dad's on Saturday and I couldn't possibly work 8AM to noon. I'm sure we'll get there around 3PM.

Next Sunday, we're dropping Caitlyn off with my mom and she'll stay there for a week.

Since my wife will only have to contend with one child and only four days of it, I might work six hours over on each of my four shifts the following week.

bread's done
Back