A Up/Monsters Inc Blu-Ray buying guide

This thread will be useful to you if you plan on purchasing Up and Monsters Inc together on Blu-Ray.

PRICES

Amazon
Up - $19.99
Monsters Inc - $22.99

Best Buy
Up - $23.99 (ad) / $19.99 (website)
Monsters Inc - $18.99 if purchased with Up (reg. $28.99)

Target
Up - $26.99 (includes free exclusive journal)
Monsters Inc - $26.99

COUPONS

General
$8 off Monsters Inc (printable/B&M use only). You need an account at Disney Movie Rewards (free signup). Once logged in to your account, click "My Account" at the top of the page and then type 786936164886 where it says "Enter Code." This is a manufacturer's coupon and you should be able to use it at any B&M store.

$10 off Up (printable/B&M use only).

Amazon
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together. Discount is automatically applied when both items are added to your cart.

Target
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together (printable/B&M use only). Click this link and go to page 3 - it'll be the third coupon there.

DEALS (ranked in terms of lowest price before sales tax)

#1 - Target
-Pricematch the Best Buy ad price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($23.99 + $18.99 = $42.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($42.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $14.98

#2 - Best Buy
-Pricematch the bestbuy.com price for Up, pay the BB special price for Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $18.99 = $38.95)
-Apply the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

#3 - Target
-Pay the regular Target price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($26.99 + $26.99 = $53.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($53.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $25.98

#4 - Amazon
-Pay the regular Amazon price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $22.99 = $42.98)
-The Amazon coupon will automatically be applied
-($42.98 - $10)
Total = $32.98

NOTES

-Any deal that includes price-matching is obviously YMMV. Depending on what store you go to they might be prickly about a deal that involves both coupons AND pricematching. I know that the Target I shop at will allow me to do deal #1, but other people will have various success. IT'S UP TO YOU to decide whether it's worth venturing out to your local Target/Best Buy to see if you can successfully get deals 1-2, or whether you don't mind spending extra money for the convenience of Amazon.

-If you do deal #1, you will need a physical copy of the weekly ad from Best Buy showing that store's prices in order to pricematch. These ads can probably be found in your Sunday newspaper.

-I did not include any Amazon deals that involve the "Snow White Thanks" promo as that is exclusive to a select few people.

-I did not include any deals at Wal-Mart as their B&M prices for Up and Monsters Inc are still unknown.

-I did not include any deals from Toys R Us because, well, they don't have any good deals. This thread is about the best out of pocket prices.

-I did not include any deals with a $10 Disney manufacturer's coupon for Up because it is still unknown whether that coupon actually exists.

-YES, TARGET DOES PRICEMATCH

ADDITIONAL REBATES

-$4 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Ronzoni products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Kernel products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Birds Eye products.

-$10 OFF at Amazon when you purchase Up and a second qualifying Blu-Ray.

If you know of any more, please post them here so I can add them.

If you see any errors or have anything else to add, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It pains me to see so many people getting it for this cheap when I can't go till tonight. I just know MI will be gone by then. dammit :(

They better have Up with the Journal at least

Went to Best Buy to get ad and see what would happen. They would not price match bestbuy.com at $19.99 and give me MI for $18.99. I walked.

TARGET: Up was $19.99. MI was $26.99. Went to the CS desk with BB ad...
MI $18.99
Up $19.99
-$10 Up
-$8 MI
-$10 Target

Sub $10.98
Tax 8.75% $2.54
TOTAL $13.52

Thanks OP!

I think I officially win the UP/MONSTERS INC. Cheapass Sweepstakes:

TARGET:
MONSTERS INC: $18.99 (with Best Buy PM)
UP: $19.99
-$10 UP Coupon
-$8 MONSTERS INC Coupon
-$10 Target Coupon
-$10 Coupon attached to MONSTERS INC.

Sub $0.98
Tax 9.75% $0.10
TOTAL $1.08

[quote name='BigHow']I think I officially win the UP/MONSTERS INC. Cheapass Sweepstakes:

TARGET:
-$10 UP Coupon
-$8 MONSTERS INC Coupon
-$10 Target Coupon

Sub $0.98
Tax 9.75% $0.10
TOTAL $1.08[/QUOTE]

Son of a bitch. I shall top you.

[quote name='BigHow']I think I officially win the UP/MONSTERS INC. Cheapass Sweepstakes:

TARGET:
-$10 UP Coupon
-$8 MONSTERS INC Coupon
-$10 Target Coupon

Sub $0.98
Tax 9.75% $0.10
TOTAL $1.08[/QUOTE]

How did you get them to take all four coupons the guy at my target tried everyway possible and he could never get the $8.00 Monsters Inc coupon and the $10.00 peelie coupon to work together.

I posted this a page back bet it quickly got passed up. I ended up buying a set at both Target and TRU and this is the question I have. I am going to return the Target copies for a return because in the long run I think I get the better deal from TRU because of the free dog plush and $15.00 gift card. But my question is how shady will it be to return my TRU version to Target and keep the Target version for myself that has that journal attached to it I checked and they both have the same UPC # and my target had both the journal and the non-journal versions for sale?

Seems all Targets had limited copies of MI. I thought it was just my area but looks like everywhere. That's why I said to call them and put it on hold. I called mine at 8AM and had them put it on hold since I knew all stores around about 4 copies of each. Most likely Targets won't receive another shipment until early next week. Sucks for those who missed out... Next best thing would be BB. :)

[quote name='Greenboom98']Seems all Targets had limited copies of MI. I thought it was just my area but looks like everywhere. That's why I said to call them and put it on hold. I called mine at 8AM and had them put it on hold since I knew all stores around about 4 copies of each. Most likely Targets won't receive another shipment until early next week. Sucks for those who missed out... Next best thing would be BB. :)[/QUOTE]

My Target said they might have more copies in by Thursday, but of course, ymmv.
How long did they keep your copy on hold though? I was going to call this AM for it but couldn't get there for an hour+.

[quote name='ajh2298']How did you get them to take all four coupons the guy at my target tried everyway possible and he could never get the $8.00 Monsters Inc coupon and the $10.00 peelie coupon to work together.[/QUOTE]

I heard if you purchase something else it works. Perhaps after they scan the first three coupons. I saw it worked for someone at a different site.

[quote name='ajh2298']How did you get them to take all four coupons the guy at my target tried everyway possible and he could never get the $8.00 Monsters Inc coupon and the $10.00 peelie coupon to work together.[/QUOTE]

The Target computers have a limitation where it can only apply one manufacturer coupon per item. I bought an additional item so the computer accepted the $10 coupon attached to MONSTERS INC.

I got both from Target for $2.86. I pm'd Monsters Inc for $18.99 and Up was $19.99. Used every coupon at my disposal and the total came to $0.98. For some reason I got taxed 6.5% on $28.98 instead of just .98. My friend says to let it go but I sorta wanna complain. Before all the waste of time and gas for a few cents, I'm at that Target all the time and it's on the way to work.

Thanks for all the advice and coupons!!

(oh and I'm not really gonna complain)

To the poster who was griping about reading comprehension is going to love this one:

Went to the regular cashiers because the electronics was receiving a load of DS's so they told me to go up front.

Went to the register and asked them to PM MI with BB (computer printed page). The cashier apprently called over a supervisor. Sup says go ahead and also PM Up for $15.99! WTF? So not pushing my luck, here's the breakdown:

$15.99 Up
$18.99 MI
-$10 Target coupon
-$10 Up coupon
-$8 MI coupon

$6.98 + $2.31 tax (9.25% on $25) = $9.29 for both

Not as good as the guy who was able to stack the MI peelie but I don't care. I feel like I stole something....:whistle2:$

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I got both from Target for $2.86. I pm'd Monsters Inc for $18.99 and Up was $19.99. Used every coupon at my disposal and the total came to $0.98. For some reason I got taxed 6.5% on $28.98 instead of just .98. My friend says to let it go but I sorta wanna complain. Before all the waste of time and gas for a few cents, I'm at that Target all the time and it's on the way to work.

Thanks for all the advice and coupons!!

(oh and I'm not really gonna complain)[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Be cheap not greedy. You paid THREE DOLLARS for two brand new release day Pixar Blu-rays.

[quote name='bob330i']

Not as good as the guy who was able to stack the MI peelie but I don't care. I feel like I stole something....:whistle2:$[/QUOTE]

That's how I felt. I walked right out of the store. Stopped at 7-11 for soda instead. Just felt weird being in there still.

The peelie is for that transaction right? I didn't know if it was supposed to be separate or not so I just peeled it off in front of her and went at it OK.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Seriously? Be cheap not greedy. You paid THREE DOLLARS for two brand new release day Pixar Blu-rays.[/QUOTE]

It was a joke. I wouldn't really do that. Come on now really?

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']It was a joke. I wouldn't really do that. Come on now really?[/QUOTE]

Hey you know how it is around here. :) I wouldn't be surprised if someone experienced something similar and seriously considered it.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']The peelie is for that transaction right? I didn't know if it was supposed to be separate or not so I just peeled it off in front of her and went at it OK.[/QUOTE]

That's what I think it says "now". However, how do they know? It's a coupon. I've used peelies at different times so I don't think this is any different unless it has a real short expiration date.

[quote name='Spruchy']Where are you guys seeing Best buy monsters inc for 18.99? Im only seeing that when you buy it with Up.[/QUOTE]

What happens when you go to PM at Target is the $18.99 price in the BB is written much larger than the regular price so most Target employees just PM it for that price and not read the smaller print.

[quote name='Spruchy']Where are you guys seeing Best buy monsters inc for 18.99? Im only seeing that when you buy it with Up.[/QUOTE]

It's a fine print/misread situation. Most of us are getting the $18.99 PM because the cashiers aren't bothering to read the fine print in the BB ad.

[quote name='typical guy']Because the combo pack costs less than the DVD? I'm tired of arguing with you on this. If you think paying more for the less is a good deal then by all means, pay 17 or 18 bucks for a single DVD. Meanwhile, I'll sit here with the same DVD and the Blu Ray and that's for BOTH MOVIES and I paid 5 dollars less than you.[/QUOTE]

But I'm not buying the single-DVD release, I'm picking up the three disc edition.

Yes, and most people are buying it with Up, hence the successful pricematching.

[quote name='mcdaking84']amazon wouldnt refund me ten bucks will return. any easy way to return it with usps?[/QUOTE]

Write "deliver refused return to sender" on the front of it and drop it back in the mailbox.

So the cheapest and easiest way to return to Amazon is to return the package unopened to the shipper with"return to sender for refund" written on it, correct?

[quote name='ajh2298']So the cheapest and easiest way to return to Amazon is to return the package unopened to the shipper with"return to sender for refund" written on it, correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct.

[quote name='ajh2298']So the cheapest and easiest way to return to Amazon is to return the package unopened to the shipper with"return to sender for refund" written on it, correct?[/QUOTE]Assuming it's USPS media mail, yes.

If it's UPS, then you have to refuse it at time of delivery. You can't do a "Return To Sender" with UPS delivery.

Man. I feel like I'm getting ripped off now. $25 for the two blu rays, while everyone is getting them for $2 (or less!!!!) to $15 for both!

I've fired off yet another email to amazon about the $10 Up coupon, but if they deny me I'm just going to return it and use the 4 damn coupons at Target or Fry's.

For those of you returning your amazon order in lieu of the better deals from the B&M stores/coupons here is the word directly from Amazon:

Hello,

You can refuse this shipment when it arrives. Refusing the shipment allows you to return it without having to arrange for return shipping. We'll refund you in full, including shipping charges, when we receive the returned package.No need to print the RMA form.

If the package is delivered by U.S. Mail, write "Refused - return to sender" on the unopened box and leave it for your postal carrier to pick up.

http://www.amazon.com/help/tracking

If you are unable to refuse this shipment, please use the return label printed from our site.

I hope this helps. Looking forward to see you again.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Rajagopal A.
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Just got home... had target pricematch the BB ad for Monsters inc... to 18.99... and picked up Predator Blu to make 3 items...

Up 19.99
Monsters Inc 18.99
Predator 9.99
Target coupon -10.00
Monsters Inc Coupon -10.00 didn't scan and they rang it as 10
Up Coupon -10.00
Coupon on monsters inc -10.00

Total with tax 12.67 --------Stupid ~10% sales tax.

LOL. Second email worked. I gave them the ultimatum that I was basically going to refuse the shipment unless they hooked me up with the coupon, and instead go to Best Buy, Target, or Fry's and use all of the manufacturer's coupons available to score the two blu rays for anywhere from $2.xx to $15.xx.

They blinked, so now I figure to hell with it, $14.98 for both is greedy enough for me:

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I have checked into the promotional offer on the manufacturer's website. While Amazon.com is an authorized dealer of Disney movies we are not a participating dealer for this particular promotion.

However due to circumstances surrounding yours, I've made an exception to our standard policy. I've requested a refund of $10.00 to your American Express Card. You'll see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Did the same, they gave me $18 back to my gift card account. $15 for both![/QUOTE]

Damn...worth a shot I guess. Email sent.

Good luck brother(s)!

Considering the HUGE discrepancy between amazon's prices now, and every other retailer, it would be nice to see them hook us up!

I went to Target and use 3 coupons + BB PM... I should have pick another item and use 4 coupon :) Total is $ 13ish after 9.75% tax.

And now I have to return my Amazon.com that arrived yesterday unless they give me $18 discount (email sent), then I might just keep it and give it away.

Any idea how to check stock for Monster's Inc. at Target besides calling? They don't have the "Find it at a Target Store" button for it. Any way around this to check inventory?

It took a while and two people were kind of a pain in the ass but we walked out of Target with Up!, Monster's Inc. and Bug's Life for $20.97. Could have been $.98

I threw in Bug's Life so the computer would let me use the third coupon that was on Monster's Inc. I could return it and get my 19.99 back if I really wanted but we'll just keep it because the deal was just too good.

I just kept telling them it pays to be a Disney Reward member and that's why I had so many coupons. I have been on Disney Movie Rewards for years now but it's really CAG that got this one rolling. I would have never seen the $10 Target only coupon and probably wouldn't have noticed the coupon on the front of Monster's Inc. since we were trying to hurry.

Good luck everyone else!

Anyone know what price Walmart is selling Monster Inc for? My target only have Up so I got that for $10. If Walmart sell it for $20 I could use my $8 to get it for $12 not a slickdeal but... Thanks

[quote name='karkyco']LOL. Second email worked. I gave them the ultimatum that I was basically going to refuse the shipment unless they hooked me up with the coupon, and instead go to Best Buy, Target, or Fry's and use all of the manufacturer's coupons available to score the two blu rays for anywhere from $2.xx to $15.xx.

They blinked, so now I figure to hell with it, $14.98 for both is greedy enough for me:

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I have checked into the promotional offer on the manufacturer's website. While Amazon.com is an authorized dealer of Disney movies we are not a participating dealer for this particular promotion.

However due to circumstances surrounding yours, I've made an exception to our standard policy. I've requested a refund of $10.00 to your American Express Card. You'll see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.[/QUOTE]
Question is, did you email them about the $8 Monsters Inc coupon previously?

Also, thanks for letting us know you use AmEx. :lol:

In my letter to Amazon I basically told them if they weren't going to match the 10.00 coupon I would consider returning my order for credit and take my business to Best Buy or Target. Which reminds me I need to go and get a refund on the Best Buy reservation I made for the steelbook...

Just got the email from Amazon notifying me of a 10 dollar refund being processed bringing my total down to 14.98. Not as good as some of you guys getting it for less than 3 dollars, but for 2 great films on blu I'm not complaining. Thanks again to everyone posting here!

im getting hosed by amazon, didn't get it release date as promised and paid 32 bucks. I sent an email complaining it didn't come on time and just got some canned response about how their shipping works. went to target but they were out of monsters inc. glad to see lots of people are making out well though.

[quote name='blitzbllmstr']In my letter to Amazon I basically told them if they weren't going to match the 10.00 coupon I would consider returning my order for credit and take my business to Best Buy or Target. Which reminds me I need to go and get a refund on the Best Buy reservation I made for the steelbook...[/QUOTE]

Can you get your money back, and keep the Steelbook?

--------------

EDIT: Amazon is the absolute greatest. -$18 credit issued to my account for both MFR coupons. Total for each was $2.49 (Note I got in on the $10 Snow White discount early on).

Best deal ever!

[quote name='shrike4242']Question is, did you email them about the $8 Monsters Inc coupon previously?

Also, thanks for letting us know you use AmEx. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes Shrike, I did. I previously had the -$8 credit applied; and my order for both movies was $24.98. I now have an additional -$10.00 off my credit card billing for it, so $14.98 total for both.

I'm still torn about whether it's worth it to return them and go the Target or Fry's route...damn i'm such a cheap ass.

And LOL, yeah...well it's my business card, and I don't pay any of those ridiculous fees for it that AmEx has for some of their cards.

[quote name='karkyco']Yes Shrike, I did. I previously had the -$8 credit applied; and my order for both movies was $24.98. I now have an additional -$10.00 off my credit card billing for it, so $14.98 total for both.

I'm still torn about whether it's worth it to return them and go the Target or Fry's route...damn i'm such a cheap ass.

And LOL, yeah...well it's my business card, and I don't pay any of those ridiculous fees for it that AmEx has for some of their cards.[/QUOTE]They denied me the $10 for the Up coupon, though they did give me the $8 for the Monsters Inc. coupon.

I think I just grabbed the last monsters Inc at Frys in Industry. $19.80, wouldn't let me use the peel off because it says not valid with any other offer.

So I just write "Refused return to sender" on my amazon order right?

bread's done
Back