A Up/Monsters Inc Blu-Ray buying guide

This thread will be useful to you if you plan on purchasing Up and Monsters Inc together on Blu-Ray.

PRICES

Amazon
Up - $19.99
Monsters Inc - $22.99

Best Buy
Up - $23.99 (ad) / $19.99 (website)
Monsters Inc - $18.99 if purchased with Up (reg. $28.99)

Target
Up - $26.99 (includes free exclusive journal)
Monsters Inc - $26.99

COUPONS

General
$8 off Monsters Inc (printable/B&M use only). You need an account at Disney Movie Rewards (free signup). Once logged in to your account, click "My Account" at the top of the page and then type 786936164886 where it says "Enter Code." This is a manufacturer's coupon and you should be able to use it at any B&M store.

$10 off Up (printable/B&M use only).

Amazon
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together. Discount is automatically applied when both items are added to your cart.

Target
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together (printable/B&M use only). Click this link and go to page 3 - it'll be the third coupon there.

DEALS (ranked in terms of lowest price before sales tax)

#1 - Target
-Pricematch the Best Buy ad price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($23.99 + $18.99 = $42.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($42.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $14.98

#2 - Best Buy
-Pricematch the bestbuy.com price for Up, pay the BB special price for Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $18.99 = $38.95)
-Apply the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

#3 - Target
-Pay the regular Target price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($26.99 + $26.99 = $53.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($53.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $25.98

#4 - Amazon
-Pay the regular Amazon price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $22.99 = $42.98)
-The Amazon coupon will automatically be applied
-($42.98 - $10)
Total = $32.98

NOTES

-Any deal that includes price-matching is obviously YMMV. Depending on what store you go to they might be prickly about a deal that involves both coupons AND pricematching. I know that the Target I shop at will allow me to do deal #1, but other people will have various success. IT'S UP TO YOU to decide whether it's worth venturing out to your local Target/Best Buy to see if you can successfully get deals 1-2, or whether you don't mind spending extra money for the convenience of Amazon.

-If you do deal #1, you will need a physical copy of the weekly ad from Best Buy showing that store's prices in order to pricematch. These ads can probably be found in your Sunday newspaper.

-I did not include any Amazon deals that involve the "Snow White Thanks" promo as that is exclusive to a select few people.

-I did not include any deals at Wal-Mart as their B&M prices for Up and Monsters Inc are still unknown.

-I did not include any deals from Toys R Us because, well, they don't have any good deals. This thread is about the best out of pocket prices.

-I did not include any deals with a $10 Disney manufacturer's coupon for Up because it is still unknown whether that coupon actually exists.

-YES, TARGET DOES PRICEMATCH

ADDITIONAL REBATES

-$4 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Ronzoni products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Kernel products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Birds Eye products.

-$10 OFF at Amazon when you purchase Up and a second qualifying Blu-Ray.

If you know of any more, please post them here so I can add them.

If you see any errors or have anything else to add, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']They denied me the $10 for the Up coupon, though they did give me the $8 for the Monsters Inc. coupon.[/QUOTE]

They denied me on both with the first emails I sent them each time, but I followed up with a second email each time and each secondary request was successful.

[quote name='karkyco']They denied me on both with the first emails I sent them each time, but I followed up with a second email each time and each secondary request was successful.[/QUOTE]I called them after the email and asked them why they would treat each coupon differently, when it's the same vendor providing the coupons and the same situation.

I also reminded them repeatedly that I could get both items for less than I'm paying currently from a B&M retailer with the respective $10 bundle discount and the $18 worth of manufacturer's coupons with a price match or two.

Eventually, he offered to provide the $10 discount. I'm just waiting for the confirmation email to that effect.

[quote name='DtotheP']I think I just grabbed the last monsters Inc at Frys in Industry. $19.80, wouldn't let me use the peel off because it says not valid with any other offer.

So I just write "Refused return to sender" on my amazon order right?[/QUOTE]If it's a USPS Media mail shipment and the package is unopened, yes.

Man I thought I got a great deal this morning when I paid ~$22 for both but you guys totally beat me. My girlfriend (she was with me) works at the service desk at Target and I didn't want to be shady with all the coupons and price matches and risk her getting in trouble so I was fine with the $28 in coupons. I figured the $10 stuck on the MI case wouldn't apply because of the limits. Oh well, I'm happy with my purchase.

[quote name='cloudspear']Anyone know what price Walmart is selling Monster Inc for? My target only have Up so I got that for $10. If Walmart sell it for $20 I could use my $8 to get it for $12 not a slickdeal but... Thanks[/QUOTE]
My WM was selling Monsters, Inc. for 29.96. Got them to scan it to make sure. I did read on SD where some were reporting it coming up at 21.96.

I've printed all 3 coupons listed in the OP, and will try my local Target tomorrow. Bad thing is we don' have a local BB. If they won't PM BB, then I'll try again on Sat. at a different Target that is closer to a BB.

Then, I guess I'll head to BB and get a refund on my pre-order.

I've been unsuccessful at all places.

Went to Target around 10am, no Monster's Inc.
Went to Best Buy at 12pm, they wouldn't pm their site and do Monster's Inc. for $18.99 so I asked for a refund for my preorder.
Went into Fry's and they had 2 Monster's Inc. on hold, so nothing there for me.

Worked like a charm at my local Target. Ended up getting Up and Monsters Inc. for $20. Awesome deal thanks for all the coupons.

[quote name='shrike4242']Email about the credit just arrived, and it's showing in the order info. $14.98 for me.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is totally ignoring my email. I sent it this morning and still have heard nothing from them.

[quote name='koji126']Amazon is totally ignoring my email. I sent it this morning and still have heard nothing from them.[/QUOTE]

It all depends what customer service person you get to get this deal with amazon. I have been turned down twice trying to get them to honor the manufacturers coupon.

[quote name='ironman206']It all depends what customer service person you get to get this deal with amazon. I have been turned down twice trying to get them to honor the manufacturers coupon.[/QUOTE]

They honored the Monster's Inc, but I'm hoping to get the Up coupon as well.

"I'm sorry this promotion wasn't applied to your order.

To correct this error, I've requested a refund of $10.00 to reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2 to 3 business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete."

lol they refunded the amount to my credit card even better, and yes to poster you can do a refund for the steelbook at best buy, because it isn't like they can't make you just turn around and return it 30 seconds later.

Amazon is honoring nothing for me. :( I really thought they'd do something to match the Up coupon if it materialized; hopefully if enough people email they'll do something today and it'll slide under the pre-order price guarantee...

If not, my pre-ordering days (Which only started a few months ago with Amazon) are officially over, since it's pretty rare you get a better deal before release than you do week-of.

Two local targets were sold out of MI. Gonna grab UP tonight with the $10 off since its priced at $19.99. Gonna try again tomorrow at a different Target, but if nothing else I can get UP for $10 which is still a good deal. If I can get the deal tomorrow I will return UP from tonight or give it as a Christmas gift.

[quote name='Justin42']Amazon is honoring nothing for me. :( I really thought they'd do something to match the Up coupon if it materialized; hopefully if enough people email they'll do something today and it'll slide under the pre-order price guarantee...

If not, my pre-ordering days (Which only started a few months ago with Amazon) are officially over, since it's pretty rare you get a better deal before release than you do week-of.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you. It's a crap shoot with Amazon's customer service.

[quote name='blitzbllmstr']lol they refunded the amount to my credit card even better, and yes to poster you can do a refund for the steelbook at best buy, because it isn't like they can't make you just turn around and return it 30 seconds later.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...I still have my Snow White pre-order that I never picked up.

Don't be surprised if Target doesn't have Monsters, Inc.

There's only one local Target but it was cleaned out. I stopped in at Best Buy to pick up my pre-ordered 3-disc DVD and I figured I may as well check to see if Target had the Blu-Rays in question while I was in the area and nope, squat.

I might stop in tomorrow morning, but I wouldn't be surprised if the second shipment doesn't have the $10 stickers, or are peeled off by the employees under direction from Target.

Or I wouldn't be surprised if they got pulled off the shelves altogther.

[quote name='shrike4242']Email about the credit just arrived, and it's showing in the order info. $14.98 for me.[/QUOTE]

\\:D/ WOOT, virtual high five :speaktothehand:

Still not as good as freaking $2.xx (or less :hot:) for both, but I can definitely live with this...

[quote name='koji126']Amazon is totally ignoring my email. I sent it this morning and still have heard nothing from them.[/QUOTE]

Send another. Doing nothing gets nothing done...being proactive is the key.

Email for my credit just arrived too. I'm fairly happy with my order. Although I didn't save as much as the next guy here, I'm glad I saved a bit.

EDIT: I was very proactive and actually shot off about 4 emails (within 20 min). Haha.

[quote name='koji126']Email for my credit just arrived too. I'm fairly happy with my order. Although I didn't save as much as the next guy here, I'm glad I saved a bit.

EDIT: I was very proactive and actually shot off about 4 emails (within 20 min). Haha.[/QUOTE]

LOL, good stuff.

Alright, had to drive around the Kansas City metro to finally find a copy of Monsters Inc. at Target. But after the price match for Monster's Inc., UP for $19.99, and the three coupons (no peelie on my Monsters Inc. - oh well) I got both for less than $12.

Great deal in my opinion, but now my wife wont let me have them until Christmas....:bomb:

Nabbed both for about $5 total at Target thanks to BB PM and the three coupons in the first post and the sticky Coupon on Monsters Inc. Thanks OP and whoever spotted the MI coupon!

I have tried two times now, at different Best Buys to do deal #2

#2 - Best Buy
-Pricematch the bestbuy.com price for Up, pay the BB special price for Monsters Inc
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

At both BB, I was told that they could either give me the special price for monsters inc, OR the pricematch for bb.com. They COULD NOT do both. I had 2 different Customer Service reps at 2 different BB's say the same thing.

I would try Target, but my location is all out of Monsters Inc. So I guess I just have to wait till they get more and hope that I can still pull this off.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='SX0T']I have tried two times now, at different Best Buys to do deal #2

#2 - Best Buy
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

At both BB, I was told that they could either give me the special price for monsters inc, OR the pricematch for bb.com. They COULD NOT do both. I had 2 different Customer Service reps at 2 different BB's say the same thing.

I would try Target, but my location is all out of Monsters Inc. So I guess I just have to wait till they get more and hope that I can still pull this off.

Any suggestions?
[/QUOTE]

The main thing you need to worry about is that that Up coupon expires in 7 days. That's not very long. I got my Target deal this morning then I bought an extra copy of Up at Toys R Us to get the free plush dog. I plan on selling the extra Blu of Up on Ebay. I will probably sell the plush with it as well as that would increase the value of it.

Is it possible for you to buy your copy of Up now using the coupon then when MI is restocked you can take your receipt with you to the CS counter and apply the coupons there? I mean, it will show you purchased Up right? Then you are buying MI later. I don't know if they force you to buy them on the same date or not.

[quote name='SX0T']I have tried two times now, at different Best Buys to do deal #2

#2 - Best Buy
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

Any suggestions?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah...that's what happened to me too when I went to Best Buy, so I just canceled my preorder on the spot and got my $8.20 refund. I did get to keep the steelbook though. I would continue calling Target since that seems to be your only hope. If you do go to Best Buy again, make sure you grab one of their ads to bring to Target.

I ended up getting Up @ BB for the website price, got shot down on the coupon, but since they had the talking Doug plush I went ahead and got it for the gf. I sent Amazon an email on my incoming orders, so hopefully they will credit the 18 back; if not I will head over to Target tomorrow to try.

#2 - Best Buy
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

Any suggestions?
[/QUOTE]

the question I have is are you asking for the 10 off monsters inc... or are you just letting the register do it's work and it doesn't give it.... cause in my experience price matchs at BB don't interfere with anything that is programmed into the register like gift cards etc... so my suggestion is just go through a regular register not customer service and ask them to pricematch and say nothing else... if it prices right then go about you business if not then ask...

Got both for $22.77 at Target. The cashier took all three coupons, the $8 off Monsters Inc, $10 off Up, and the $10 off the purchase of both. All the coupons rung up when she scanned them. I didn't price match BB ad, I thought that would be asking for too much. What I noticed though, they charged me the 10.25% tax on the $36.98 which would have been the total before the $10 off target coupon. Otherwise the total would've been $18.98 plus 10.25% tax.

[quote name='lawl']Can someone copy/paste the email they sent to Amazon to get a successful credit? I'm confused about all this.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the email I sent, but I just told them that they Up coupon was released today and that I would like them to honor the coupon like they did with Monster's Inc. Then I put the link for the coupon below.

[quote name='koji126']I don't remember the email I sent, but I just told them that they Up coupon was released today and that I would like them to honor the coupon like they did with Monster's Inc. Then I put the link for the coupon below.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Then, when the first email was denied, I just copied and pasted the email, and also told them I would simply refuse the shipment and take my business to Best Buy, Target, Walmart, or Fry's where they would accept all of the coupons and give me the movies for anywhere between $2 to $15 for both.

[quote name='exRounder']Nabbed both for about $5 total at Target thanks to BB PM and the three coupons in the first post and the sticky Coupon on Monsters Inc. Thanks OP and whoever spotted the MI coupon![/QUOTE]

How'd you do that if the Up is exclusively packed with a journal?

Really weird but my Target didn't have to PM BB for UP because they sell it lower than BB ($19.99). Only PM MI for 18.99 plus 3 coupons (-$10, -$8, -$10). Walked out the door $10.98 plus tax.

[quote name='japaki']How'd you do that if the Up is exclusively packed with a journal?[/QUOTE]

The journal shouldn't have any effect on this deal unless you just happen to have someone not wanting to do the deal. I had trouble at first as I stated previously buy I just stayed patient and it was fine.

I feel sorry for all you guys and the constant problems with sales tax. So glad I haven't had to deal with that since I was a kid when I lived in WA. I love not having to worry about the tax and it saves a ton of money at the end of the day.

[quote name='Britshady']The journal shouldn't have any effect on this deal unless you just happen to have someone not wanting to do the deal. I had trouble at first as I stated previously buy I just stayed patient and it was fine.

I feel sorry for all you guys and the constant problems with sales tax. So glad I haven't had to deal with that since I was a kid when I lived in WA. I love not having to worry about the tax and it saves a ton of money at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]

The Target I work at said it's got to be the exact same item, so wouldn't the exclusive journal mess up any chances of PM with a competent cashier?

[quote name='Afflicted']the question I have is are you asking for the 10 off monsters inc... or are you just letting the register do it's work and it doesn't give it.... cause in my experience price matchs at BB don't interfere with anything that is programmed into the register like gift cards etc... so my suggestion is just go through a regular register not customer service and ask them to pricematch and say nothing else... if it prices right then go about you business if not then ask...[/QUOTE]

Only asking for it after it doesn't work in their system normally. I ask for the PM for online and then let them finish up before handing over coupons, and both times it turned up wrong. 28 something, so then I point to the ad and ask why I didn't get the special pricing for buying both and they tell me that they can only do one or the other. Either PM or give me the reduced pricing, not both.

[quote name='darkdaze73']My WM was selling Monsters, Inc. for 29.96. Got them to scan it to make sure. I did read on SD where some were reporting it coming up at 21.96.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that suck :( Price is pretty expensive for Monster at other stores. I wonder why Target order so little stock of Monster?

[quote name='SX0T']Only asking for it after it doesn't work in their system normally. I ask for the PM for online and then let them finish up before handing over coupons, and both times it turned up wrong. 28 something, so then I point to the ad and ask why I didn't get the special pricing for buying both and they tell me that they can only do one or the other. Either PM or give me the reduced pricing, not both.[/QUOTE]

well that really bites...

[quote name='BigHow']I think I officially win the UP/MONSTERS INC. Cheapass Sweepstakes:

TARGET:
MONSTERS INC: $18.99 (with Best Buy PM)
UP: $19.99
-$10 UP Coupon
-$8 MONSTERS INC Coupon
-$10 Target Coupon
-$10 Coupon attached to MONSTERS INC.

Sub $0.98
Tax 9.75% $0.10
TOTAL $1.08[/QUOTE]
cashier scanned that one in and it wouldnt go through ;-;

Well since I had already received/opened my movies from Amazon, I decided to send off an email to them about the 10 coupon on up to see if they'd honor it. If they do it take my total down to around 7 a movie, which I know isn't the cheapest, but I'd be fine with just the same

[quote name='BigHow']I think I officially win the UP/MONSTERS INC. Cheapass Sweepstakes:

TARGET:
MONSTERS INC: $18.99 (with Best Buy PM)
UP: $19.99
-$10 UP Coupon
-$8 MONSTERS INC Coupon
-$10 Target Coupon
-$10 Coupon attached to MONSTERS INC.

Sub $0.98
Tax 9.75% $0.10
TOTAL $1.08[/QUOTE]

Oh damn... I forgot about the Coupon attached to MI.
I shall try again tomorrow.. since my sales tax is cheaper than yours! :D

[quote name='hallowicious']After reading about the Fry's deal, I tried my luck:

Total was $9.01 after tax.

I guess I'll cancel that Amazon order.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mtutick']Fry's worked out best for me. When bought together, Monster's Inc. rings up at 13.77 and Up at 19.95.

Subtotal =33.72
8.1% Tax = 2.73
Up Coupon= -10
Monster's Inc. Coupon = -8
$10 Coupon attached to Monster's Inc. = -10
Total = 8.45

Thanks OP for tracking this.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I'm not sure how you guys are swinging this deal at Fry's.

I picked up Monsters, Inc, tagged $32.99. Then snagged Up which was marked $29.99 but with a sign saying it was $19.99. MI rang up $27.99, and then the computer automatically took $10 off. The clerks claimed that was the coupon attached to Monsters Inc being applied automatically by their computer. I then gave them the $10 and $8 off coupons and after a giant huddle of about 4 or 5 employees they decided they would give it a try and see if it worked but that they probably wouldn't because the $10 off for both would override it. Needless to say the coupons both worked (they actually applied as payments to my actual total of $33.72) and I had $15.72 left to pay.

At this point they were raving about what a great deal I got and were amazed the Disney coupons worked like that. So I knew it would be tough sledding to get the additional $10 off. But I forged ahead and asked about the coupon on the front of MI and they once again said the computer automatically applied it. I asked if they could scan it anyway and he did and then said "yeah, it doesn't work".

So, you guys who got it applied at Fry's, did it work automatically or did they have to override something? Maybe they changed it in the computer or something since then, who knows. Or maybe he was just BSing me. My Fry's is always very tough to do anything at (price matching, coupons, price adjustments, etc). The whole Fry's clearance game thread on CAG is based on buying what you want and then simply price adjusting it when it drops lower in a week or two. Yeah, well at my store they have a strict no-adjustment policy on all the clearance game items. So I guess they are just hardasses about that sort of stuff - but it is so odd that it seems to be ingrained on every different employee I've ever dealt with there.

Still, though, the Target price match thing would have been a pain as well and it would have meant driving 10 more miles out of the way to get the Best Buy ad just for the likelihood of getting shot down there on all the combos. Even though we are infested with Best Buys around here and they just built 2 more in the last few years they don't deem it necessary to put a Best Buy ad in our Sunday paper (yet CC managed to do so right up till the day they went out of business :roll:).

In any case, even though as a CAG it bugs the crap out of me to see other people get the same deal at the same store for $10 less, I really can't complain too much about getting two Pixar Blu-rays for just under $8 apiece.

Success at Target! There was only one copy of Monsters Inc. left too. I'm so happy.

Up - 19.99
Monsters Inc. 26.99
Monsters Inc peelie (on package) - 10.00
Target web coupon - 10.00
Up coupon -10.00
Monsters Inc coupon -8.00
Total: $8.98 before taxes.

I could have probably PM'd to Best Buy too, but I didn't feel like dealing with all that and $4.50 a movie is more than cheap enough for me.

I'm so glad that Amazon rejected giving me any promotions now :D

bread's done
Back