A9installer - Malware version of Antivirus 2009 - Problem Resolved

Inf^Shini

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
My intelligent younger brother decided to download a A9antivirus program on my parent's computer from a pop-up and it's now blocking the Windows Antivirus program, any attempt to turn it on activates another pop-up that asks for a registration code and license, which has never occured before.

I installed AVG and Avast, attempted to uninstall Antivirus2009, and now I'm lead to believe this is some sort of Virus or malware. I can't find it in any directory, there was one option for an uninstall on the start menu, but that did nothing.

I decided to google the name of the file he DL'd and installed, and came up with a result that was similar to my situation.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081019034634AAFKHVu

I'm tempted to try all his steps, but I'm not familiar with any sites posted there except lavasoft, and I just wanted to see if anyone here knows anything about this program, his advice, and/or how to get rid of it. I did a full scan with both AVG and Avast (Free editions of course), they came up with 3 threats and all were erased.

This is the filename of the file my brother dl'd:

A9installer_77075301(2).exe

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try downloading a trial of a legit anti-spyware program, like Spy Sweeper (via Webroot).

Install it, update it and run a full scan in SAFE MODE. Do the same for any other anti-virus software you have (make sure that it is up to date of course ...)

It'll probably take an entire day to make sure its clean due to full scans. Maybe less if computer has not been used for that long.

If all else fails, restore?

Good Luck.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009

Removal instructions at that link.[/quote]

God if I had this two years ago, I'd save myself from having to spends hours on end fix ppl's PCs because of these damn annual viruses. WinVirus, Antivirus 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 20XX and so on...so annoying!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a pretty good piece of software. It seems to finish the job when a combination of Spybot and AVG isn't enough. I actually like the Malwarebytes software better than Spybot, but it never hurts to have a few extra anti-malware/spyware programs.

[quote name='typeRJ']God if I had this two years ago, I'd save myself from having to spends hours on end fix ppl's PCs because of these damn annual viruses. WinVirus, Antivirus 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 20XX and so on...so annoying!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a pretty good piece of software. It seems to finish the job when a combination of Spybot and AVG isn't enough. I actually like the Malwarebytes software better than Spybot, but it never hurts to have a few extra anti-malware/spyware programs.[/quote]
Seriously, this was my first encounter with a problematic Malware application. I'm just thankful there is one piece of software out there needed to get rid of this.

bread's done
Back