About to buy a PS3 and have a few questions.

Theduck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok so after much thought, I've decided to maybe buy a PS3. Originally I was going to shell out 150$ for a Jap PS2 to play a game or two on, because I dont want to mod, then I decided that I could get a Jap PS3 and play Jap PS2 games and region free PS3 games on it.

I do have a few questions tho, which perhaps have been answered already, but i'd like just some clear answers in one thread.

1. Can I save PS2 games onto the PS3's harddrive?

2. Should I go for 20g, which seems enough for me because my 360's 20gigs are still empty, Or a 60gig?

3. I'm primarily getting this for one specific game, which is the new naruto for the PS2. Like I said, I was going to get a jap PS2 instead, but I'm guessing the newer Naruto's after this one will be released on the PS3? Can anyone confirm this for me?

4. For PS2 games, can I use the PS2 controller on the PS3? Or will I have to use PS3 controllers for PS2 games?

5. Are they going to be releasing new controllers with rumble?

6. Last one. Will they PS2 game, being new and all, look good on the PS3 or will it look like FFX looked on a PS3? By that I mean, it looked like crap on the PS3 while it looked real good on the PS2.

7. Oh! And is there any truth to the rumor that FF7 will be rereleased for the PS3?

I know it's a bunch of questions and probably dumb ones to many, but I really appriciate the time to answer em.

Thanks!:bouncy:

1. Yes.
2. Yes buy a 20GB, you can upgrade your hard drive yourself later. Very easy.
3. Not sure.
4. You have to use the PS3 controller. You may be able to use a PS2 controller with a USB adapter though.
5. Probably.
6. It should look like it would on the PS2. No better or worse.
7. I hope so.

1. Can I save PS2 games onto the PS3's harddrive?

Yes, but with a memory card adaptor. Cost around 15 bucks.

here's an adaptor. doesn't work vice versa tho.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802581

2. Should I go for 20g, which seems enough for me because my 360's 20gigs are still empty, Or a 60gig?

Most people seem to be satisfied with their 20gb purchase. Unless you're gonna unload tons of videos and mp3's onto your HD, you should be fine with only 20gb.

3. I'm primarily getting this for one specific game, which is the new naruto for the PS2. Like I said, I was going to get a jap PS2 instead, but I'm guessing the newer Naruto's after this one will be released on the PS3? Can anyone confirm this for me?

Why not get a boot disc for the PS2 for cheaper. That way you don't have to modify your PS2 or PS3. and you can also play all region games on it.

4. For PS2 games, can I use the PS2 controller on the PS3? Or will I have to use PS3 controllers for PS2 games?

not atm. you need a usb adaptor, which i believe they will be releasing soon.

5. Are they going to be releasing new controllers with rumble?

hopefully.

6. Last one. Will they PS2 game, being new and all, look good on the PS3 or will it look like FFX looked on a PS3? By that I mean, it looked like crap on the PS3 while it looked real good on the PS2.

with a firmware update, your ps3 will be able to play ps2 games the way they were suppose to look. I believe with future update you'll be able to play upscaled games, just like how the 360 did it for it's xbox games.

7. Oh! And is there any truth to the rumor that FF7 will be rereleased for the PS3?

Take with a grain of salt. there was a ps2 demo of FF8, but that never came around. I wouldn't hold my breath.

1. yes, you can save games as you play them, but you need an adapter to transfer games from your ps2 memory cards to the ps3.
2. 20gig units are reportedly very difficult to find
3. no idea but realize that while ps3 games are region free, the ps3 still adheres to region code restrictions for ps2 and ps1 discs.
4. you can use the ps3 controller and some usb adapters will work with a ps2 controller but do your research before you buy one.
5. probably
6. they've fixed the original image quality issues but it seems that right now, when running ps2 games in 480p mode there is a bit of blurriness that you wouldnt see on a ps2, but it seems that not everyone will notice it. upscaling backwards compatible games is pure fan speculation so don't hold your breath. they stated in their press release regarding the removal of the emotion engine from the european ps3 that back compat will not be a focus for them going forward.
7. unlikely at least for the foreseeable future

[quote name='Theduck']Thank you guys. I should also mention, my PS3 will be Japanese, so will I be able to download updates from it anyways?[/QUOTE]

I think you should be fine. so you're getting a japanese ps3, to play one ps2 game, and just tossing your ability to play old american ps1 and 2 games? Do you have more import games than american games?

edit: you should see if you can take a look at a japanese back compat list to see if the game you want to play works well.

[quote name='Milkyman']I think you should be fine. so you're getting a japanese ps3, to play one ps2 game, and just tossing your ability to play old american ps1 and 2 games? Do you have more import games than american games?[/quote]

I like very few games, and the PS2 lineup is kinda bland to me now. But I'm kkinda weird when it comes to games.

One more wacky question. :eek:

I take it the PS3 20gb only comes with AV cables, so how does the hdmi thing work? Is it with the Av + hdmi cable or what?

[quote name='Theduck']I like very few games, and the PS2 lineup is kinda bland to me now. But I'm kkinda weird when it comes to games.

One more wacky question. :eek:

I take it the PS3 20gb only comes with AV cables, so how does the hdmi thing work? Is it with the Av + hdmi cable or what?[/QUOTE]

no version of the ps3 comes with hdmi or component cables, you only get the yellow white and red ones. hdmi is one cable, from the back of your ps3 to the back of your tv (if it has an hdmi port) that carries sound and video.

24121.jpg
thats what it looks like, you can get a 6 foot one from monoprice.com for like 5 bucks

Awesome, thanks.

With the hdmi, would I get a better picture than a component, and would that cable be the only one I would need?

Well this game came out today in jap, so I assume it would work ont he PS3 being it's one of thier top sellers, no?

[quote name='Theduck']Awesome, thanks.

With the hdmi, would I get a better picture than a component, and would that cable be the only one I would need?

Well this game came out today in jap, so I assume it would work ont he PS3 being it's one of thier top sellers, no?[/QUOTE]

If your tv supports it, thats the only cable you need unless you have some weird surround sound setup and need to get your audio to a component other than the tv. on paper, hdmi should look better than component, but visible difference is negligible if any. its nice having only one cable to deal with though and hdmi should be the new connection standard going forward.

as far as the game, i think it's better to be safe than sorry, you dont want to be spending 500+ to import a ps3 and game and find it doesn't work as well as it should.

bread's done
Back