Accepting Paypal friends & family/gifting payments on CAG. (Updated 6/15/2016)

Same with PayPal. Bottom line, you agreed to a TOS. The fee from those transactions keeps PayPal running.
For digital items on PayPal, you really don't have any protection as a seller, which is why so many people request F&F. There is an inherent risk in these sort of transactions.

An established, reputable seller faces the risk of a hit-and-run chargeback from a scamming buyer in non-F&F transactions. Conversely, if you're buying from an established, reputable seller, there is very little chance they'll screw you as it would affect their reputation, especially on a community-based site like this.

If they're not well-known, then sure, you face a risk buying from an unknown. It's totally understandable to be wary of paying F&F in a situation like that.

But that is most frequently not an issue on CAG.

As far as the fees, I'm willing to bet these sort of transactions comprise a tiny, tiny percentage of PayPal's revenue. Keep in mind that this sort of thing didn't exist on a large scale ~8 or so years back, but PayPal has been a juggernaut since the turn of the millenium. eBay is what keeps PayPal running, not our $0.50 Steam game sales.

If PayPal offered any real sort of seller protection it wouldn't be an issue. Screw their TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your argument is a misinformed excuse. Plus you keep going back to Steam sales, which if you'll note I agreed with earlier as a valid use of F&F.

You guys sure are generous with Paypal's money and services.

Ah, refusal to engage. Didn't think we'd arrive here so soon. I see our work here is done.

In the end, the rules changed. Good enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engage with what? You listed your thoughts, feelings and impressions before flat out stated you'll do whatever you want commitment be damned.

With regard to your specific complaint, FoxyPie said it better than I ever could:

I mean if people want to pay extra to make sure you're following the rules, then by all means be my guest. The thing you don't get to do is say "I want you to follow the rules which means higher costs but I don't want the price to increase." That doesn't work that way. You can either reap the benefits of people's generosity or you can pay the cost of following the rules.
​I am finished. You are welcome to have the last word. :)

Final thought from me on this: It's amazing to me how many people come into a Rules thread, admit that they have been breaking the rules here for quite some time, insult people who have followed the rules, and even with the change in rules to be more permissive, imply that they're still going to continue to break the rules on the things that haven't changed.

So, yeah, carry on.

Hello, glad to be a part of CAG community, i dont live in the USA and my PP doesnt have that f&f option, all i want to say thx to the people i dealt with and who took that in consideration, thank you.

This needs to be updated or changed again to highlight the fact that PayPal Friends and family is NOT for physical goods and if the seller wants PayPal they need to absorb the fees... Way too many posts not following this basic rule.

This needs to be updated or changed again to highlight the fact that PayPal Friends and family is NOT for physical goods and if the seller wants PayPal they need to absorb the fees... Way too many posts not following this basic rule.
While I agree with you, the mods are not going to force anyone to follow the forum rules or PayPal's TOS. If you see a post that requires F&F, and you're not willing to pay in that manner, then skip the sale.

Just got off the phone with paypal customer service I was told the person I sent the payment to lives in another country why I was charged a $0.99 fee. I am editing my other post apologies.

bread's done
Back