Accidently buying games

morphineseason

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So, tonight for the first time, I accidently bought a game. Of all games it was Rag Doll Kung Fu. I got the game for free earlier this year and I had to delete it from my hard drive because of some hard drive glitch, so I went to grab it again from PS Store, expecting it to work like the iPhone App Store, and it automatically added $10 to my wallet and purchased it. It took funds from my debit card, so I don't think there's much I can do.

When I checked my download history, I guess the difference was the one I grabbed for free had "SPRINT" in the game title. They are still the same exact game though. I feel like I've been scammed.

Anyways, it's an awful game and I never played it when I had it for free. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Being a cheap ass gamer, it felt like I was going to puke when I realized I had just thrown $10 down the drain, so to speak.

That sucks dude, especially considering you didn't even like the game. Thankfully nothing like that has happened to me yet.

Have you tried contacting PSN customer service? They might just give you a refund back to PSN wallet.

[quote name='laaj']Have you tried contacting PSN customer service? They might just give you a refund back to PSN wallet.[/QUOTE]

I did send them an e-mail. I'll see what they say. I'm not very optimistic about it though, especially with all the "all sales final" splattered all over digital content. Anyone had luck getting money refunded to their PSN wallet?

Nah, you could probably get your money back. You'll have to tell them what you wanted to purchase though (and the price you wanted to spend). You can't get a return, but an exchange is generally accepted.

I've had a similar thing happen on Steam and they let me exchange.

PSN customer service won't do anything about it. I bought Burnout the night before it dropped from 30 to 20 bucks. They said that they didn't do refunds or credits.

I accidently bought Neutopia 2 on VC. I thought it sucked, but I know I lost some money. Oh well.

I accidentally bought the Tomb Raider Underground DLC (extra level). I was really sleepy and just kept hitting the wrong button.

Awww... so far i didnt experience that i usually double check everything im a stingy person, LoL

On the PSN you can have it prompt for your password before any pay purchase. Not sure if that option is on the 360 or not.

But yeah on the PS3 you gotta go to download history to redownload anything you've gotten before and deleted, otherwise you'll be charged again. That's something MS gets correct at least because if you go through the Marketplace it'll sense you've bought it before and just prompt for download without charging you.

How can you accidentally buy something when there's a final purchase confirmation? Unless you don't read that confirmation page like most of the YES/NO/CANCEL pop up screens :lol:

P.S. I know Amazon's Kindle offers refunds on books you accidentally ordered (the 1 click ordering is more prone to this sort of error).

[quote name='MSUHitman']On the PSN you can have it prompt for your password before any pay purchase. Not sure if that option is on the 360 or not.

But yeah on the PS3 you gotta go to download history to redownload anything you've gotten before and deleted, otherwise you'll be charged again. That's something MS gets correct at least because if you go through the Marketplace it'll sense you've bought it before and just prompt for download without charging you.[/QUOTE]

If a game is already purchased, then you should see the little red icon on the bottom right of the game icon. I'm not sure the PSN checkout system double checks whether or not you already purchased it. I know the Kindle system does this, i.e. you'll not be able to buy a book you already bought.

Now, if you have multiple accounts on the PS3, like game sharing, you have to be extra careful. The games bought under one account do not count under a different account. So, if your sharing group bought game XXX, if you login as the sharing account, you'll see the little red icon. But if you login as a different account, you'll not see it, even though you can play the games fine, common sense really....

Now that i mention it, OP, did you login to a different account than the one you initially purchased the free Rag Doll Kung Fu game?

[quote name='fart_bubble']at least you weren't shit faced, I've bought a lot of crappy games on live while being too drunk to see straight[/QUOTE]:lol:

[quote name='fart_bubble']at least you weren't shit faced, I've bought a lot of crappy games on live while being too drunk to see straight[/QUOTE]

I have access to one of my friend's PSN accounts, and I only check it for updates if I find out he is hungover. He always buys the good stuff when he's drunk.

[quote name='nbballard']I have access to one of my friend's PSN accounts, and I only check it for updates if I find out he is hungover. He always buys the good stuff when he's drunk.[/QUOTE]

I end up doing stuff like blowing $10 on Solitaire. And don't get me started on the community games

Luckily, I found out I could re-download stuff by going into download history and just downloading from there.

I also found out that you can 'lock-in' stuff that is currently free, even if you don't download it completely simply by grabbing it while it's free and starting the download and then stopping it.

It puts it in your download history and then you can just download it at your leisure.:D

So far I've only saved $12 by doing that(Free Rag Doll Kung Fu from Sprint, Mercenaries 2 "Blow It Up Again" pack).

What's funny is that now you can pay either $2 or $3 to unlock everything and possibly even get the trophies in RDKF just by paying for another download from PSN.

Not anymore it's not. But I think it's only $1.99 now, which is a decent price. I wish more companies throwing stuff on PSN as DLC would follow that trend. You already pay $50-60 for the game in the first place(in some cases), so why charge people $10-20 or more for a few extra missions?

I agree, $1-$5 for a little bit more actions is perfect. You don't even need game sharing for that! $10, eh, it hurts... Man, i'm still upset that i didn't get the M2 pack when it was free :(

LOL I keep an eye on the Playstation store for stuff like that for games I have or games I know I'll try and pick up at some point. I go through the motions to start downloading them and then stop, just so I can get them in my download history and thus keep them as free even if they later on become paid content.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Luckily, I found out I could re-download stuff by going into download history and just downloading from there.

I also found out that you can 'lock-in' stuff that is currently free, even if you don't download it completely simply by grabbing it while it's free and starting the download and then stopping it.

It puts it in your download history and then you can just download it at your leisure.:D

So far I've only saved $12 by doing that(Free Rag Doll Kung Fu from Sprint, Mercenaries 2 "Blow It Up Again" pack).

What's funny is that now you can pay either $2 or $3 to unlock everything and possibly even get the trophies in RDKF just by paying for another download from PSN.[/QUOTE]
You don't even need to start the download. Just get to the page where it shows download buttons and then exit. Those items will have the red bag to signal that you own them now.

[quote name='Serpentor']If a game is already purchased, then you should see the little red icon on the bottom right of the game icon. I'm not sure the PSN checkout system double checks whether or not you already purchased it. I know the Kindle system does this, i.e. you'll not be able to buy a book you already bought.

Now, if you have multiple accounts on the PS3, like game sharing, you have to be extra careful. The games bought under one account do not count under a different account. So, if your sharing group bought game XXX, if you login as the sharing account, you'll see the little red icon. But if you login as a different account, you'll not see it, even though you can play the games fine, common sense really....

Now that i mention it, OP, did you login to a different account than the one you initially purchased the free Rag Doll Kung Fu game?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I downloaded it from the same account. After finding my download history list, I discovered that Sony slyly labeled the free Rag Doll Kung Fu as "SPRINT Rag Doll Kung Fu". The $9.99 version is simply labeled "Rag Doll Kung Fu". I might cut them slack if the free version was actually ad supported or any different from the $9.99 version, but they're exactly the same from what I can tell. I just think Sony filed them as two different titles so they could con $10 out of dumb people like myself.

Oh, and the only response I got from Sony so far was a shitty message that might as well have been automated, letting me know that I could read this article: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi.../std_adp.php?p_faqid=488&p_created=1195540680

I sent them a reply back saying they should really consider my issue since it's pretty much a database error on their part, but they haven't sent me anything back.

I've never accidently bought a game, but I have accidently bought themes. It sucks. Always on XBL too, somehow. I think I do it when I'm drunk, cuz whenever I never remember buying the themes.

[quote name='morphineseason']Nope, I downloaded it from the same account. After finding my download history list, I discovered that Sony slyly labeled the free Rag Doll Kung Fu as "SPRINT Rag Doll Kung Fu". The $9.99 version is simply labeled "Rag Doll Kung Fu". I might cut them slack if the free version was actually ad supported or any different from the $9.99 version, but they're exactly the same from what I can tell. I just think Sony filed them as two different titles so they could con $10 out of dumb people like myself.

Oh, and the only response I got from Sony so far was a shitty message that might as well have been automated, letting me know that I could read this article: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi.../std_adp.php?p_faqid=488&p_created=1195540680

I sent them a reply back saying they should really consider my issue since it's pretty much a database error on their part, but they haven't sent me anything back.[/QUOTE]

"Slyly" does sound right in your situation... i think it's a database issue. The game is the same. It's possible that the Rag Doll promotion was tagged under a different name for the same game. And since the promotion expired, you will never see the promotional game icon with the red indicator. The regular game icon doesn't have the red indicator in your account because you didn't buy it...

I think you have a case there, e-mail them doesn't hurt.

[quote name='Serpentor']"Slyly" does sound right in your situation... i think it's a database issue. The game is the same. It's possible that the Rag Doll promotion was tagged under a different name for the same game. And since the promotion expired, you will never see the promotional game icon with the red indicator. The regular game icon doesn't have the red indicator in your account because you didn't buy it...

I think you have a case there, e-mail them doesn't hurt.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. Unfortunately, I did receive a response from them today basically restating how to correctly re-download games, and then stating that they have a no refund policy. I even tried giving Sony a call and got the same broken record. I threatened to call my credit card company to get a refund that way, and they threatened me right back by saying "Sure, Sony will refund you your money in that case, but your account will also be banned from PSN".

Typical Sony. Can't admit when they've made a mistake. Pretty coincidental that it just so happens to be a first party title as well. Sneaking every little penny they can for this one.

speaking of buying things accidentally i always wonder how many people end up with game guides when they think theyre buying games off of gamestop.

[quote name='lokizz']speaking of buying things accidentally i always wonder how many people end up with game guides when they think theyre buying games off of gamestop.[/QUOTE]
I had a friend that did that once. He bought one for Warcraft and when it came he was extremely disappointed.

bread's done
Back