Account stolen... how?

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
Well, today morning ti is the launch of the guardian Hero hd so I try to log in on my xbox to get it. However, when I try to sign on, it won't let me log in; sensing something is wrong, I try to log into ms live too but it si nto working so i reset the password. once it is done, when I log into my xbox.xom account, my gold account is gone from my profile and replace with a new silver account with nothing.

I have a chat with the ms representative, they said it will take a few weeks to formal investigate about it. How did the hacker did it? They can't just unlink the account associate to a live account like that, can they?
It just just my day as I was looking forward to guardian hero and Batman next week.

That's now at least 3 CAG accounts this month. I'm wondering if they're just brute force attacks or some kind of exploit they're using.

[quote name='Xellos2099']i want to add last night whehn i log on, it say there is a system update[/QUOTE]
Everyone had a system update yesterday.

If it is brute-forcing, make sure you have/use a long, complex password. Preferably something around 8+ characters.

Sucks, though. Sorry to hear. Serves as a reminder to lock down your accounts, though:

No CC info.
Preferably no MS Points.
Complex/long password with letters & numbers.

Yeah after reading two people got ''hacked'' yesterday I changed all my pw's and both of those guys the hacker went on a spending spree buying all the FIFA dlc.

I was hacked tonight. I was playing Orcs Must Die and it signed me out of Xbox live. I thought nothing of it because sometimes my internet connection drops. But then I could not log in at all. The password had been changed. I was able to change my password and then I saw that 1200 points were spend on PREMIUM GOLD PACKS for FIFA12. Called ms, they said they have to suspend my account for 25 days while the investigate.

The official boards have several posts about this, starting back about October 5th. Fortunately my credit card on file had expired so they weren't able to use it for purchases but some people are out hundreds of dollars for unauthorized CC use.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back, and after Microsoft's investigation, they decided there was no hacking involved. I ended up losing ~5000 Microsoft points and 25 days for my trouble.

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me yesterday. Got logged out of Live and then got an email stating that my card was expired so they couldn't buy any more points. Spent all my points on PREMIUM GOLD PACKS (is that something that is worth anything outside of the account it was purchased by? Doesn't make much sense to me...).

Luckily, I was able to get back into my accounts and regain control/change p/w's and such. But here's the thing: the first account they hacked was not xbox, but EA. Then xbox and then SW:TOR (that bit had me screaming!). My EA account was linked to the xbox, so they were able to just slide right in and take over.

So was this an xbox thing or an EA thing?

[quote name='Yuckmouth']I was hacked tonight. I was playing Orcs Must Die and it signed me out of Xbox live. I thought nothing of it because sometimes my internet connection drops. But then I could not log in at all. The password had been changed. I was able to change my password and then I saw that 1200 points were spend on PREMIUM GOLD PACKS for FIFA12. Called ms, they said they have to suspend my account for 25 days while the investigate.

The official boards have several posts about this, starting back about October 5th. Fortunately my credit card on file had expired so they weren't able to use it for purchases but some people are out hundreds of dollars for unauthorized CC use.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GUNNM']Yeah its weird all they buy is FIFA dlc when they steal your name.[/QUOTE]

Well soccer/futbol is the most popular sport in the world so it would make sense they are downloading FIFA dlc. I'm guessing the hackers are probably based overseas. Sorry to hear about people's accounts being hacked.

[quote name='GUNNM']Besides that it seems the majority of the hackers are buying one specific DLC though.[/QUOTE]

Maybe EA is behind all of this, doing it to boost their DLC sales...jk

This IS starting to sound more and more like an EA data breach based on what TheDeadEye is saying. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Battlefield demo

Wasn't XBL hacked this summer? I seem to recall there was some talk of it, but it kind of got overshadowed because of the whole PSN hack.

It could be related to the hacked accounts on the PSN. Looks like another site was hacked with users using the same email and pw there for their PSN accounts. Difference is Sony locked down the 93k accounts and Microsoft hasn't. Amazon will reset user passwords if they pop up on an email & password list posted publically/on hack forums.

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I didn't have a valid CC on my account but all my points got transferred to another account (I didn't even know this was possible.) Then my email address on my EA account got changed to a throwaway Hotmail UK account. EA was able to quickly fix my problem but MS told me it will be 25 business days for an investigation to occur.

I'm on day 10 of waiting for MS to get my account back... Although I did get my $$ return that was used to buy points through paypal.
I also had my wow account ( haven't played that in long while) get hacked about a week after.
I have now change most of my password to be more challenging.

Does MS send you any sort of email confirmation once the investigation has begun or once they have locked out your account? I was told by the CS rep they would yesterday but I didn't receive anything.

I just called EA support and gave them a heads up just in case. Told them there has been a rash of live accounts getting hacked and it seems like it's starting from EA's end. Also told him most of the times the hackers would buy Fifa stuff on the stolen account. So we'll see if they get anything done or not.

[quote name='ass-assassin']Does MS send you any sort of email confirmation once the investigation has begun or once they have locked out your account? I was told by the CS rep they would yesterday but I didn't receive anything.[/QUOTE]

I never got anything.. but I wrote down the case number.
Did you give the a secondary email? I had too, they didn't want to send anything to the email that had the account hacked.

This is an excellent reason why third-party linked accounts shouldn't exist. The stink of EA is heavy with this one. Scary stuff.

I was hacked last month.
The person used up 3200 points that I had in my account and played two games using my gamertag. I didn't see any other activity on my account.
I was told 25 to 30 business days for the investigation.

[quote name='Rhett']If it is brute-forcing, make sure you have/use a long, complex password. Preferably something around 8+ characters.

Sucks, though. Sorry to hear. Serves as a reminder to lock down your accounts, though:

No CC info.
Preferably no MS Points.
Complex/long password with letters & numbers.[/QUOTE]

I am more worried about MS having my CC info (which they cleverly don't let you remove). If my account is hacked I will just call the bank and dispute the charges.

CC Laws = Yes
Debit Card Laws = No (Just bank polices that can be broken)

That's why I love my credit card, the extra protection. Plus I love the Virtual Credit Card number feature!

Same thing happened to me on Monday. I lost 1600 pts. Normally I don't have points but my friend just gave me a card for my B-day. Like everyone else, points were spent on FIFA12 items and I had some new achievements for a game I don't even own.

I changed all my passwords and am watching the account closely.

I filed a case with MS last night. Maybe the rash of hacking is why I had to wait forever to talk to someone

[quote name='Yuckmouth']This IS starting to sound more and more like an EA data breach based on what TheDeadEye is saying. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Battlefield demo[/QUOTE]

This is a very interesting theory as 90% of the time it is DLC for the Ultimate Team modes on EA games that is bought fraduently.

Lucikly my EA Account is a different email/password than my XBox Live.

I'm not so sure that this is recent; something like this happened to my friend two years ago. The lesson is: use different passwords for EA and Microsoft, and don't give Microsoft your CC number. Buy the prepaid cards instead.

[quote name='usickenme']Same thing happened to me on Monday. I lost 1600 pts. Normally I don't have points but my friend just gave me a card for my B-day. Like everyone else, points were spent on FIFA12 items and I had some new achievements for a game I don't even own.

I changed all my passwords and am watching the account closely.

I filed a case with MS last night. Maybe the rash of hacking is why I had to wait forever to talk to someone[/QUOTE]

I'm betting those new achievements were related to the Ultimate Team mode. It appears that people are hacking into Xbox Live accounts, then using the points or CC info to purchase coins in the Ultimate Mode and then sell those coins on eBay for cash. At least that's what it looks like.

[quote name='GenPirate']I am more worried about MS having my CC info (which they cleverly don't let you remove). If my account is hacked I will just call the bank and dispute the charges.

CC Laws = Yes
Debit Card Laws = No (Just bank polices that can be broken)

That's why I love my credit card, the extra protection. Plus I love the Virtual Credit Card number feature![/QUOTE]

Never use your bank account card for online stuff.
CC only!

Add me to the list of victims. Had account hacked around 9 a.m. CST. Logged in on my wife's Silver account and it showed me online playing FIFA 12. They wiped over 1800+ MS Points downloading in-game DLC and also tried buying 800 more MS Points. Luckily my credit card on file was an expired one. Did get me 2 achievements in FIFA 12, which is just another jab since I hate this franchise anyways.

bread's done
Back