Achievements - Which Style Do You Prefer

AdvOfJet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
By now, everyone has had a chance to get hooked on the achievements system. Different companies seem to have different ideas as to what they should be. First, you have games like King Kong and NFS: Most Wanted where you earn every single point just by playing through the main game. On the other hand, you have games like PGR 3 and PDZ that have tons of various types (some from simply finishing the game and some you have to work even harder for).

I was wondering which style most people preferred. Myself, I like having varied achievements that I have to work for. To me it gives more replay value as you try complete everything, even after you might have finished the main game.

I like the varied ones as opposed to ones that you get by completing the game. Like the points in King Kong. I thought some of them were actions that you had to do outside of typical gameplay, but I guess they all automatically count as long as you finish the game. Then again, I don't really have the time to finish every single game, so I know I won't get some of the Achievements.

Gives me good reason to play through all my games thoroughly though.

And I have to say to BigMes...damn you finish games faster than anyone I know. I swear, you pick up a game and you're done with it in a week maximum. Your GP just sky-rocketed so quickly.

I started NFS:MW before you did I think and you completed that more than a week ago. I'm still on number 4 or 5. Wish I could put the time into games that you have.

I think PGR3 has done it best so far. It split the achievements about 60/40 single player and multiplayer respectively, which I liked. I would say even a little more single player is okay. I also like how Condemned had achievements for playing the game different ways (i.e. beat the game without using a gun). Anything like that is cool with me. The whole "beat the game on each difficulty level" is a bit tedious, especially when you have to actually play each difficulty level (I'm looking at you GUN). When you get the lesser difficulties for beating a higher difficulty like PGR3 does, it's not as big a deal.

I hate the way Madden or NBA2K6, NBA Live, ect. do achievements, but it's way too fucking easy. People are getting like 75% of the achievements in Live by just simming a whole season with the Spurs or Heat a couple times.

I like the small number of achievements. And I think having achievements for XBL play is lame.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']And I have to say to BigMes...damn you finish games faster than anyone I know. I swear, you pick up a game and you're done with it in a week maximum. Your GP just sky-rocketed so quickly.

I started NFS:MW before you did I think and you completed that more than a week ago. I'm still on number 4 or 5. Wish I could put the time into games that you have.[/QUOTE]

Welll Lets see first I beat Call of Duty 2 of regular difficulty. Then I played through and finished NFSMW. After that I played a couple vetern levels on Call of Duty 2. Then I went through and finished Condemned (Best game on 360!). Have to play through again because I am missing 3 achievements. Then I beat King Kong this weekend in one sitting. Great game but a little on the short side.

I forgot to through in some of the DOA4 achievements I got in as well. Need a few more for Time attack Single and Survival.

Now I am starting to work on Kameo (Very Colorful and pretty) and should have that done pretty soon, afterwards I'll play Gun and Quake 4.

I like achievments to be varied, like in Condemned and PDZ. I think they could have varied the achievements in NSFMW a little more maybe have one for completing the game 100%. I think achievements are great and really help make things more fun, live arcade is a perfect example of that.

Also since I got my new HDTV the only games I want to play at the moment are 360 because they look so pretty. I have really been ignoring my xbox, PS2 and Gamecube for the moment but I expect to be playing a few titles for my other consoles very soon.

Achievements dont do much for me. I dont think any game has really gotten them right yet. I mean I think they should reward you the most for completing the game and doing things as you are going through the game the first time. Like COD2 I beat on normal. So I have 2of13 achievements but to get the rest I have to go back and play the game again. Its just so hard to go abck and play games when there are so many others I have and havent beaten once. I think they should break it down better. And some of the achievements they put in are ridiculous. Like in DOA of PDZ. You have to play the game online religiously to get some of them. Burnouts achievements (from what they have said so far) sound the best to me. But the current games out seems like they were just thrown on there to say they have them. If I had to pick one it would be Condemnded to be the best at it because if you wanted to you can grt almost all the achievements in one play thorough

bread's done
Back